Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does everyone in ireland like donegal accents?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

unfortunately i can barely understand donegalese

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ancientdog wrote: »
    Is it true that everyone loves donegal accents. What is it about them that people like?

I'd much rather a Cork accent (and indeed the frame of mind). At the risk of tarring Donegal people with the same brush- the expressions and meandering way of thought in open speech, does my head in. The disarming openness of a lot of Cork people- putting answers in an endearingly blunt way, is appealing to me. If I ask a question- I appreciate an answer- not a bizarre psychological evaluation of an answer that confuses more than clarifies things.

Maybe working with German people for years rubbed off on me- I like a straight yes or no- and meeting at 9PM to mean 9PM and not 7PM or 11.30PM after the pubs close.......

If you asked the question about Scots accents- Mmmmmm- you'd have had a different answer......... (note: not the Glasgow accent)........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    unfortunately i can barely understand donegalese

thats the way we want it, easier to plan and plot...

although i'm from Donegal and nobody can really guess, i'm accentless. when it comes to not understanding what people are saying well i have truble with Donegal accents to in parts, esp when i started going out with the gf from Tory Island (9 miles off donegal google it if you still are lost or can't understand me :p) and it took me ages to fully understand her! sounds terrible but my family is going through the same thing now too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Yes there. Hi, A canny believe ye are all slagging da donegal accent hi. Thon is taking it wile far hi. Aye a know poor wee daniel is annoying but leave him be hi. Stop your coddin around hi. Gisa break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Hi, A canny believe ye are all slagging da donegal accent hi. Thon is taking it wile far hi. Aye a know poor wee daniel is annoying but leave him be hi. Stop your coddin around hi. Gisa break.

:D:D:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,973 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nipplenuts wrote: »
    No. It's rubbish. As is the way they say "Hi" all the time.

"Are ye going to the pictures, hi" :confused:
    Sounds more like an Ardee accent!

..........and no one in Donegal would say "ye". It would be "yous"! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

phenomenon wrote: »
    *Sigh* It seems an accent thread pops up every two weeks

For the record:
    Dublin North = scanger
    Dublin South = irritating posh elitist
    Northern = terrorist
    Louth = unintelligible
    Cork = leprechaun
    West = farmer
    Midlands = backward idiot

As for Donegal sexy? Is Mary Coughlan sexy??

where are you from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

danniemcq wrote: »
    thats the way we want it, easier to plan and plot...

although i'm from Donegal and nobody can really guess, i'm accentless. when it comes to not understanding what people are saying well i have truble with Donegal accents to in parts, esp when i started going out with the gf from Tory Island (9 miles off donegal google it if you still are lost or can't understand me :p) and it took me ages to fully understand her! sounds terrible but my family is going through the same thing now too!
    you are not accent-less. you have as strong a donegal accent as any donegal man, or has time away from galway changed you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I hate the Donegal accent. And two of my friends are from Donegal so I'm trying to get used to it. Effin hate it though!!

oooh clare TAKE IT BACK!!!!!

Donegal accents are the way to go, I love my accent and wouldn't change it for anything:p

*be glad you don't have a bogger cork accent m'dear :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Yes there. Hi, A canny believe ye are all slagging da donegal accent hi. Thon is taking it wile far hi. Aye a know poor wee daniel is annoying but leave him be hi. Stop your coddin around hi. Gisa break.

Very Funny :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Don't you be taking 'hi' in vain hi, thats pure blasphemy, I canny condone it.

Wild carry on to be at.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

Poor form.

You didn't include a single 'sir'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I dont like the Donegal accent at all. Partly because it reminds me of a complete freak from Lee-yetterkenna I lived with a few years ago, and partly because I havent a clue what they're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

My accent has aspects of Donegal in it so it has to get my approval. My dad's from there so a bit of it has rubbed off on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Neesa wrote: »
    There is not one thing in the world that "everyone" likes. Except of course chocolate milkshakes.

Chocolate milkshakes are rotten. Strawberry or nothing
    Flojo wrote: »
    I don't like chocolate milkshakes - whats wrong with me?? :(

Absolutely nothing. We can bond over an alternative flavour if you like :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Damn right the Donegal accent is amazing! :D

Also Daniel O' Donnell in my honest opinion is the spawn of satan so although he resides here in Donegal we can not be held accountable for his any actions he may take/impose on people that irritate them. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

i have a hard time understanding them somtimes but i dont dislike them

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    you are not accent-less. you have as strong a donegal accent as any donegal man, or has time away from galway changed you?

I'm more accentless than most Donegal people! Trust me spend time up here and you'll be fecked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

danniemcq wrote: »
    I'm more accentless than most Donegal people! Trust me spend time up here and you'll be fecked!

Dan has the hottest Donegal accent!!! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Female donegal accents are terrible.

particularily when they are angry or crying:p. The accent varies in the county, its wiiilld strong in the north eastern part ,but the gweedore area is really bad.

I hate the way they sometimes pronounce certain words like Róisin, FÁS, milk,

Still they are a good bunch, but sounder than them muckers in derry.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo

I have always hated the Donegal accent, I find it extremely irritating. Not just in English, but in Irish as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

My mother (Limerick lady) stilll finds it hard to understand my da's side of the family after twenty years. She just nods and smiles and keeps her kneecaps concealed at all family gatherings. Does anybody notice how Donegal children sound exactly like tiny Donegal adults as opposed to actual children. Wile strange so it is

Kiera wrote: »
    Dan has the hottest Donegal accent!!! ;)

hee hee shux i'm touched and not in a gary glitter way either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Yes, it's just a nice accent.
    Unless Daniel O' Donnell is talking. Then it's a war crime. But that may be more to do with him than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,055 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Derry accent is better :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Derry accent is better :)

I'm sorry.... what?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭christinadublin

I love hearing a northern accent. Its very sexy.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

theres a massive variation in Donegal accents, Leterkenny ppl sound a lot more like derry muckers,the westys speak slower and some of them kinnna scottish, Donegal town has an accent of their own, Ballyshannon/Bundoran a lot more neutral...can be mistaken for leitrim/Sligo folk....People in donegal Dont speak like Daniel of Donnell(not the straight ones anyways)...more Packie Bonneresque...The accents does get attention especially far down the country.....people call the accent northern but its not as agressive sounding as the nordies...I'm not sayin its perfect and Mary Coughlans...not the best example...ever hear a gay lads donegal accent!?....Hillarious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

No.

Reminds me of IRA members

(shudder)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sexy accent. Was up in Donegal at the start of the year for 2 days and loved it, saying that love most Northern accents.

Advertisement