Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Nerds

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

You make qualifying for a grant sound so easy Tara!:p

Not sure if I would want to take out a 14,000E loan either when I'm not even on the property ladder yet.:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

the council of IRC see assembles here to decide whether or not tar gets funding. Now for the paddling.
    Maybe get one that is already funded by the college LZ5by5?

the council of IRC see assembles here to decide whether or not tar gets funding. Now for the paddling.
    Maybe get one that is already funded by the college LZ5by5?

I have gotten grants for the most part so far, but the minimum standard. And when I say minimum, I mean 345E in 3 month installments(although I did get my registration fee paid too).:pac:

It's early days, I'm just concentrating on improving my GPA right now, but I'm definitely going to explore all avenues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh you can also get a fellowship from teh college to do a masters for cheaper. fees out of the way.
    Grant is different from undergrad grant btw. It doesn't matter how rich you are.

Oh you can also get a fellowship from teh college to do a masters for cheaper. fees out of the way.
    Grant is different from undergrad grant btw. It doesn't matter how rich you are.

I'm guessing it's merit based? Or in other words, you'd probably need consistent high grades, go to an interview and sell yourself, etc etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah merit based, like 30% based on grades etc and then maybe some paragraphs on your project, why it would help society or whatever crap they ask you. ;)

Yeah merit based, like 30% based on grades etc and then maybe some paragraphs on your project, why it would help society or whatever crap they ask you. ;)

That would apply to me quite literally. Social Policy student.:pac:

Yeah our lecturer told us that in actually applying for the Masters, never mind a grant, that we would have to go into in depth detail in terms of experience in an interview. That's why I'd be working for a year or two before considering going for a grant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

I'm utterly disappointed I was too late to join the Shakespeare class... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

A horse, a horse, my kingdom for a horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭animan

MizzLolly wrote: »
    I'm utterly disappointed I was too late to join the Shakespeare class... :(

Shakespeare is ghey. I hate Shakespeare and don't enjoy any of his work at all.

• Advertisement

animan wrote: »

Yeah he's so ghey that even almost 500 years after his death we still study his works... phillistine :mad:

Shakespeare is ghey.

Not quite, he was married but was indeed rumoured to have a male lover. Haven't you read any of his sonnets?

I love shakespeare. I love shakespearean sonnets, I love Petrarch, I love iambic pentameter, I'm a goddamned nerd! :cool:

Oh you've just reminded me of his sonnets, damn they were good. Old poetry, gerard manley hopkins and the likes <3

Will wrote: »
    Oh you've just reminded me of his sonnets, damn they were good. Old poetry, gerard manley hopkins and the likes <3

AwwwwwwwwwAwwwwwwWWWWWawhhhhhwwwwwwwwwwwww.... <3 indeed.

Although not in the same era, sylvia plath also rocked, she'd a crappy life also :(

Although not in the same era, sylvia plath also rocked, she'd a crappy life also :(

She did, Arrival of the Beebox is fantastic.

it's very sad though too, oh so dark

it's very sad though too, oh so dark

''Tomorrow I will be sweet God, I will set them free
    The box is only temporary''

Says a lot when you think about it.:(

It's been ages since I've studied her poetry, wrote bucket amounts for the leaving about her.
    The beebox as far as i remember is a metaphor for a kids coffin, i could be confusing this with another poem though. Makes me wanna dig out my leaving cert book now and see what notes i scribbled down

Personally, I read it more as a metaphor for her later suicide.

Think about that line I quoted, she creates this crazy, tension filled feeling of entrapment throughout the whole poem and then the very last line says that it's ''only temporary'', I took the beebox as a symbol of the disturbance in her mind.

She says she'll ''be sweet God and set them free''. I thought it hinted that she was thinking of killing herself when she wrote it.

I could be talkin' krap however :pac:

• Advertisement

You're probably right, but the lovely thing about poetry, it's subjective.

I'm looking for the damn poetry book now... this is all your fault mizzlolly!!

You're probably right, but the lovely thing about poetry, it's subjective.

I'm looking for the damn poetry book now... this is all your fault mizzlolly!!

LOL!!! :D

Everything is my fault around here lately :(

And I agree, it is all about personal interpretation, so how I read it could be a million miles away from the angle somebody else reads it. That's just how it read to me.

T!ts! Can't find it >.<
    Will look tomorrow after work, not arsed now.

W. B. Yeats I also love, sailing to byzantium is jawesome

T!ts! Can't find it >.<
    Will look tomorrow after work, not arsed now.

W. B. Yeats I also love, sailing to byzantium is jawesome

Ah! Did a whole module on Yeats in college last year. Love him myself. :D

Michael Longley is another favourite of mine. <3

Never came across him, wikipedia to the rescue :pac:

Never came across him, wikipedia to the rescue :pac:

Wikipedia will do him no justice.

I'm pretty sure of it but for someone who's never heard of him before it's a start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

He was probably bi.

And he was fúcking deadly. Great great story teller. One of the best ever. Hence us still studying him. Try Hamlet, it's still got one hell of an impact.
    MizzLolly wrote: »
    Ah! Did a whole module on Yeats in college last year. Love him myself. :D

Michael Longley is another favourite of mine. <3

I both love and loathe Yeats. Did my LC Poetry thing on him and it got an A, but by God was he a nasty piece of work at times. And talk about intellectually pretentious. :P

Longley's work is quite sad, at least the bits dwelling on his father. Really scary stuff at times, would really make you reeavualate your relationships with those around you.

John Donne also rocked my proverbial socks off, the durty fooker

http://lardcave.net/hsc/2eng-donne-flea-comments.html

The awesome thing is, that old style S' were very similar to F's... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

awh man
    sylvia plath.... I've read very little of her work but I really really love, I feel really bad bout taking enjoyment from reading her work and disecting it but its just so deep and you can take it in in so many levels

Advertisement