Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tactical vests?

Options
  • 15-08-2008 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

Hey guys I was just wonderin....

Anyone have any opinions on the best type of tac vests out there. ive had some free time in the last week and ive been lookin around for a nice vest. im thinkin stargate style.:p

any input is welcome as well as any cool loadouts you might want to brag about.:D

EDIT: I meant to include a poll but im not the most technically minded oh well.Just means a bit more countin on your part.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

no real best depends a lot on personal opinion

what is your build what style of play do you like?

what aeg do you manly use~?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭(F.L.) Anders

http://www.asmc.de/en/Military-Equipment/Tactical-Vests

Should be at least one there that suits your purpose!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

A friend told me; "Buy once cry once."

Buy then best quality vest and you'll never have to buy another, and it'll have a great resale value if you decide to go for a different theme.

I would also recommend to get MOLLE type vests, that way if you change AEG you can just spend €50 on new pouches rather than a whole new vest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭eagleye7

Nice site there some really good stuff.
    as for the other question i havent skirmished much so i prob couldnt tell ya with much certainty.

I do however like swat/ranger vests not too heavy or bulky but with nuf storage.

But i think you miss the point of my thread i know what i like i was curious as to what everyone else thinks. I for one cant stand the "plate carrier" style vest. They just seem kinda useless, unless you just want the look.

Then theres the big-ass chest rigs with 50 pouches and room for a shotgun on your belt. i doubt you could see over the thing let alone handle an aeg!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

the south african assault vest by viper is very nice fully ajustable doesnt restrict movement and is very comfortable and with enough room for 10 m4 mags, a bottle of bbs a spare battary two grenades a camelback hydration system and two dump bags for empty mags you know you can carry all you need and for 45 euro you cant go too far wrong

• Advertisement

is that the one from Eirsoft. If it is then i agree it looks pretty sweet alright

i just saw this one here id it woulb be my ideal one imo

http://www.asmc.de/en/Military-Equipment/Tactical-Vests/Tactical-vest-UTG-black-p.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

eagleye7 wrote: »
    is that the one from Eirsoft. If it is then i agree it looks pretty sweet alright

It's also very suitable for the eh, larger gent. I got one of them when I first started skimishing and have never looked back. Can carry G36 mags in the puches too.

ye you can fit 6 g36c mags in it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I will echo the suggestion of vests with MOLLE capability. Single vest, multiple combinations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

MOLLE +1, and you can get them in any camo you want, and theres tons of options for pouches you can put on them

molle does have some strong advantages, also if you do not like the full ciras style plate carriers there are plenty of different styles to try

ph_cg_vtc019_cbm_l.jpg
    ph_cg_vtc901_odm_l.jpg

also something that is normal over looked are chest rigs i find them practical and comfortable, i also love my smersh webbing but webbing is not for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

+1 for molle.

All you need to do is figure out which platform would be most comfortable for you, be a vest, shoulder harness, ciras, whatever. No need to worry if it will hold your gear since you can just buy new pouches for whatever new toy you pick up :).

The ones in the pictures there look nice but would it not cost a lot to get all the pouches?

I do have one Question that i couldnt quite puzzle out myself...
    when you buy a drop leg holster most attach to a belt right?
    Do many tac vests come with a belt or something that the drop leg can lop around? Or would I have to get a seperate belt.

I did notice however that on some vests namely here...

http://www.asmc.de/en/Military-Equipment/Tactical-Vests/ASMC-commando-veste-Type-II-p.html

Are the straps on the end of this vest for looping a belt through.
    would this be a good feature do you think or could it just reduce mobility?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Personally i dont really like the molle type since they never really hold the attached pouhes as well as a vest with them sewn on, its all about personal opinion and what you plan on carrying and stuff.,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

vtec wrote: »
    Personally i dont really like the molle type since they never really hold the attached pouches as well as a vest with them sewn on, its all about personal opinion and what you plan on carrying and stuff.,

The trick with MOLLE is apparently to use _all_ of the loops and "weave" the pouch on. Make sure to use the last loop on the pouch, usually the one immediately above the fastener. I learned that lesson the hard way :-(

I have two outfits: belt & webbing, still used by the Irish, British and many other armies. Oldie but Goodie. Carries everything you're likely to need for a whole day, mostly around the waist. Pros: leaves your arms free, easy to set up and modify as needed, very affordable. Cons: belt can be uncomfortable, a hippo pad or similar is very useful. Other cons anyone?

The second is a plate carrier vest & MOLLE pouches. Pros: very modular, can be set up and changed for any task. Great weight distribution when you set it up correctly. Cons: cost can add up very quickly, adding/changing/removing pouches can be a right royal PITA (a long-nose pliers is essential).

The other common styles are Chest Rig (aka Battle Bra) which carries everything around the upper chest; ideal for sitting in vehicles or dismounting, not sure it carries quite so much gear. Probably all you need for a day's play though. Not sure if it's really suited to airsoft, though others may disagree. And the South African Assault Vest (sometimes called Rhodesian). Plenty of room for stuff, though the sewn-on pouches mean you can't easily add, change or delete one. Very affordable, the Viper and WebTex ones are fine.

I found this page very helpful for setting up my belt at the beginning:
    <http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/plce-assembly.asp&gt;
    and this one very helpful for info on overnight-or-longer games
    <http://www.practicalairsoft.co.uk/fieldgear.asp&gt;

My own suggestions: very few players carry a field dressing, or the newer and _much_ better Trauma Dressing, but if you do, carry it in front of your non-rifle shoulder (usually the left one). If your shirt/blouse has upper arm pockets, it should be in the left one. If you're carrying a First Aid or EMT pouch, it should be on the lower left of your vest. These are standard positions, the stuff will probably never be needed but it's nice to know where it is.

I agree with vtec, it's all about the mission and preferences. I'd advise anyone to start with something simple and build it up from there. And always Go Light. Most players only really need water and ammo for standard games. Unless you're doing a 4-day yomp in Sweden of course ;-)

I'll be fielding the vest soon, we'll see if it works as well as the webbing. Long post, sorry. I do go on a bit sometimes.

i.ve had no problem as long as i get the weave right,

another good site for increase your knowledge base on loadouts is militarymorons

check out
    http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/2ndline1.html

there is a lot of information on the site but information it does not have the best navigation, im becoming a fan of low profile simple loadouts like http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/img/ucr7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Ample Free ...?

Puding wrote: »

I was flicking through the website and stumbled upon this vid.

Looks light and managable and an intersesting way of placing mag pouches. Also the ability to swing the bandoleer around, (read the article), and access the dump pouch etc. from the front without taking the bandoleer off is a neat trick:P

Unfortunately it only comes in multicam, black and a very light green/grey, not entirely suitable to the Irish countryide:confused:

there are a number of copys about http://ebaybanned.com/product_info.php?cPath=62_29&products_id=1406

TADgearBandoleer1.jpg

you could always stray it the color you want, i know it sounds strange but it works, also with molle pouches on it in the color of your picking it should not be a problem

id come across that vid myself and found it interesting, i also found the guys stance and vertical grip position interesting, no bearing on airsoft but interesting never the less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got suited up yesterday, jacket, vest, balaclava, helmet, pads, etc. God, it's so cumbersome, can't imagine being able to fight in one (an entire tactical setup, not just the vest, I mean)! Not necessarily linked to just airsoft, but in general....when we're skirmishing I'll have to literally just use the vest and googles....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

I got suited up yesterday, jacket, vest, balaclava, helmet, pads, etc. God, it's so cumbersome, can't imagine being able to fight in one (an entire tactical setup, not just the vest, I mean)! Not necessarily linked to just airsoft, but in general....when we're skirmishing I'll have to literally just use the vest and googles....

makes you really wonder what the real stuff is like with the full armour plates...

there is a positive tho, one you get used to it and almost everyone else is the same give or take. here are some tips i have found out. just my opinion mind. it is worth getting dressed up and see have you placed the pouches right. is it rubbing off something badly? if it is, you will loose whats in that pouch (or at least assume you will).

watch where you put you radio and headset and the cables. if your aeg strap is rubbing off them they wont last.

can you reach the pouches? if you cant you need to move them (a bit obvious i suppose). that is an advantage of molle. you can get lesser used stuff on your back and there is also molle attachments to turn vertical to horizontal, so you can put bulkier items in them for your sides to the rear. also keep your waist free, so you can bend, so when you have it all on, see can you kneel..if its difficult you need to rearrange. this is one of the reasons chest rigs are popular. also it is worth getting one of those water bladders...carrying all this crap is thirsty work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Actually, I have a viper vest for ages but I find I rarely use it. As I dont use midcaps(yet, just never bought them) I found I had a load of empty pouches.

So, I'm getting a serpa next week, and I'm thinking a belt might be a good investment. I want:1 Dump(LHS), 2 Doublemag pouches(one on left rear, one on right rear), Serpa(RHS), a 2 pistol mag pouch(LandR front) and can you get/what would be the most suitable pouch for a hydration pack? When I dont have my vest I have to wear a mini backpack under my jacket and thats a pain. Comms go in the jacket pocket for now. I dont mind spending a bit of cash but buying all the pouches seperate seems relatively expensive. The vipers I've seen all have pouches that are no use to me and dont have the ones I want.

Oh, and either black or OD is fine.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

im getting that bandolier in the pics posted above, id say it'd be great for a sniper who needs to be mobile and climb etc. or for a rifleman who dont wanna carry too much stuff.,

id say it'd be great for a sniper who needs to be mobile and climb etc

that is something that had crossed my mind, only thing that i wondered about would be practicality with a ghiili jacket on, from playing the sniper role a few times lately i;ve really had to think again about how i carry my gear, tried a simple molle belt, molle leg panel, wanted to try this thought..

hsgch164.jpg
    hsgch11.jpg

best result from a comfort and practicality point of view when i keep things off of my front and back to has to be a simple webbing set with minimum pouches the best for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

OzCam wrote: »

I have two outfits: belt & webbing, still used by the Irish

No it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

Poccington wrote: »
    No it's not.

PLCE webbing is the current webbing for the Defense Forces. Soon to be replaced with a DPM pattern vest.

so have you you decided what vest your gonna get

I think ill have to skirmish a bit more first try find my role and what equipment ill need.
    At the moment i prefer the assault vest or SWAT vest style ones with sewn on pouches, not too bulky but with enough space.
    Ive also been thinkin about colour, at the moment im thinkin black because its easy to
    1)match holsters etc (olive drab and sand can vary wildly between brands)
    2)black means that any variety of BDU should match the vest. ie. i wont need two vests for woodland /desert camo. Hypothecically, i dont really need desert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

I really like theses vests as they have lenty of room for attachments, give pretty good chest cover, water proof (if ya get a real one)...

v1920.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

If you are looking for stargate style, they use a blackhawk medic vest (omega model i think), which is what i have and i love it, very well made and adjustable. quite expensive, but you get what you pay for.

http://www.nightgear.co.uk/p/943/Blackhawk-Vests/BlackHawk-Vest-|-BlackHawk-Omega-Tactical-Vest-with-Hawktex-Pad.htm

Advertisement