Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Brightest Star

So I was saying in earlier posts that I'm giving the Pagano diet a shot. Couldn't do the three day detox! :o Stuck to mostly just fruit and veg for a couple of days though. I did a good bit of research into the colonic irrigation stuff, and I couldn't find enough evidence to justify the cost right now. Might give it a shot in a couple of months though, depending on progress.

Being honest, so far, I'm sticking to the diet approx. 80% of the time. My life is sort of in a bit of an upheaval at the moment, I'm between homes and jobs etc, so I should be able to settle into a better routine in the next couple of weeks. Main problems are having a couple of glasses of wine with friends, and then the white bread craving the following morning! :rolleyes: Don't really miss red meat or potatos. I haven't touched chocolate or Diet Coke at all - I thought I'd find it impossible to give up Diet Coke, as I drank an awful lot of it, but it's fine! I'm beginning to wonder if maybe that was a big bit of the problem. Feel much better now that I'm not drinking it. My IBS symptoms aren't as bad these days too.

So far, I've noticed that my skin is changing rapidly since I've been on the diet. One day the psoriasis is all dry and crusty (sorry! :o ), then the next it's red and itchy and inflamed, then the next its all sore and tight. To be honest, any changes I notice I consider to be positive. If it's true that, despite what conventional medicine says, diet does have some impact on psoriasis, then there's hope of at least making it a bit better through my diet, even if I can't cure it completely. The last day or two, I've noticed on a couple of the larger spots, there is clear "new" skin starting to grow in the middle of the spots, even though the outside is still all raw and red. This was mentioned as part of the healing process in the book! Fingers crossed I'm going to see more results soon, I just need to get stricter with the diet.

Sorry for the essay and for the graphicness! :o
    DonFred wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Elizabeth Arden 8th hour cream on their Psorasis?

Tried that a couple of years ago - caused an immediate very bad flare-up! It's worth a try though, as is anything - just maybe try it on a small unnoticable patch first and see how it goes. It's one of the few times I had a real instant flare-up that I could link to the particular product straight away.

I'm using Lush Dream Cream right now, it's very good for softening and sort of cooling the skin. Most skincare products don't suit me but this one seems OK for now. It's got oat milk, extra virgin olive oil, cocoa butter, chamomile, lavender, and other stuff for sensitive skin. Very expensive though unfortunately. :( I was using the Dream Cream shower cream too, and it suited my skin fine, however I just ended up going through the tubs of it far too quickly to justify the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

For those that are finding it hard to give up the beer. I have bad Psoriasis on my legs and found that Tiger Beer was the only beer that didnt aggravate it.

Worth a shot. And its delicious too :)

thats great as its 1 of my fav beers... i end up drinking alot of other beers aswell though as alot of off licences and bars/clubs dont have it.

I. HATE. THIS. F*CKING. CONDITION.

It's just so unfair. :mad::mad::mad: Why do WE have to suffer every single day, when everyone else is so lucky?

I look like an idiot because I'm wearing big heavy hoodie, jeans, runners, when everyone else is in summer clothes. Also I'm way too warm. :mad:

I look like I have disgustingly bad dandruff, and I look like I never wash my hair or exfoliate my skin. Other people would never leave the house looking like this, and I'm sure they look at me and judge me. I wouldn't leave my house looking like this if I had a choice though! But I have to work, and live, and I do my best to look normal, but it's hard when you can't. :(

This stupid condition is destroying my life. If I could only just wear a Tshirt sometime again. :( If only.

"Normal" people don't know how lucky they have it. I didn't know how lucky I had it. God, what I'd give to have that again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I long for the day when I can wear 3 quarter length pants while walking around the city without feeling self conscious.

Or even go to the swimming pool with some concerned mother staring at me for fear i've leprosy and will infect her precious Tommy.

I also long for the day when I dont have to worry about the bed sheets, either being covered in flakes or blood. Or that I can eat whatever I want and not need to shower my legs with cold water so they cool down.

And I really long for the day when I can stop ****ing scratching...

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Having a bad flare up myself. My scalp is flaking like mad its like its snowing. Its a tough lif for us psoriasis suffers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

I'm very lucky my psoriasis is only on my scalp, but today it drove me mad.
    I was watching surgeries all day with a scalp cap and gloves on!
    My god the itch drove me insane!!! lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

eilo1 wrote: »
    I'm very lucky my psoriasis is only on my scalp, but today it drove me mad.
    I was watching surgeries all day with a scalp cap and gloves on!
    My god the itch drove me insane!!! lol!

Have you tried the cocois ointment i mentioned in an earlier post? I used to see some relief after only 1 application - think it can be prescribed on prescription if you have a medical card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I long for the day when I can wear 3 quarter length pants while walking around the city without feeling self conscious.

Or even go to the swimming pool with some concerned mother staring at me for fear i've leprosy and will infect her precious Tommy.

I also long for the day when I dont have to worry about the bed sheets, either being covered in flakes or blood. Or that I can eat whatever I want and not need to shower my legs with cold water so they cool down.

And I really long for the day when I can stop ****ing scratching...

I wear 3 quarter lengths proudly. and my legs are probly the worst part of my body.

Still sticking to the Pagano diet maybe 80% of the time, going to aim to improve that though. It's definitely doing something anyways! My skin flared up horrifically there for a week or so, but the last 3-4 days I'm definitely seeing signs of healing. Very little itching, redness is fading, flaking isn't too bad.

One thing I'm concerned about now is that, even if my psoriasis were to go away completely, would my skin look normal? I'm afraid I'll be left with big red patches all the places where it used to be? Sort of like scars. Anyone got experience with this? It seems impossible that my skin could become completely normal ever again.

Also - I've a question for any ladies (or indeed lads! ;)) who have psoriasis and who shave their legs. Is there anything you can use apart from shaving foam which mightn't be as harsh on the skin? I'm currently using Gillette Satin Care for sensitive skin. A nurse advised me before not to shave them at all, but I have a boyfriend who still fancies me despite the psoriasis - I think I'd be pushing it a bit if I had big gorilla legs! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

"Ouch, that looks sore, did you burn yourself with an iron?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I'm desperate.

I'm just sick of battling my psoriasis. The creams and ointments are only making it worse. I haven't tried the injections or tablets, but the side effects are scary. It feels like my body is eating itself up. My skin has gotten progressively worse over the past year, and has gone rapidly downhill the last couple of months. My life seems to revolve around washing, applying creams, avoiding foods, taking supplements, choosing clothes to cover up every part of me. I hate anyone looking in my direction, I won't let anyone touch me. I'm in constant pain, and my skin is cracked and itchy and painful. It's taken over every part of my body. And ruining my life.

I saw this on the Irish Health website:

http://www.irishhealth.com/clin/psor/hospital.html
    Almost all people with psoriasis can have their skin completely cleared as a hospital in-patient over an average period of three weeks. Clearing the skin may result in a long period of remission. Some people may stay clear for years, yet others may relapse immediately and it is impossible to predict which patient is likely to do which. People with extensive psoriasis and some with severe scalp psoriasis alone, who cannot manage their treatment at home, may benefit from a short stay to get the scalp under control.

There are two standard in-patient regimens employing either dithranol or tar as the active treatment.
    They consist of:
    • Tar bath – 10-15 minutes and UVB therapy – dosage according to skin type and increasing according to response
    • Ingram's regimen – dithranol in Lassar's paste applied carefully to each plaque, sprinkled with talcum powder, then dressed with a gauze suit. This is removed in the bath the following morning. The concentration of dithranol is increased according to the response. When the psoriasis is better the skin will be temporarily stained brown.
    or
    • Goeckerman regimen – crude coal tar in increasing strengths, applied instead of dithranol.

It's the first line, that I have in bold there. The idea that just three weeks in hospital could give me even temporary relief. The idea of the battle being taken out of my hands, in the control of someone else, for even a few weeks.

Has anyone been hospitalised for psoriasis treatment before? I have a doctors appointment Thursday morning, and I don't know if I should ask her about it or is it something she might suggest herself.

Right now I can't imagine ever being normal again. I can't go on like this, I need a solution, something that will actually work, even if it's only temporary. I need a break from all of this, I want to stop feeling like a failure because my skin is completely out of my control. Just want someone else to take over for a little while.

Anyone have any experience of this? Does this actually happen in Ireland? Just how bad would you have to get hospitalised? Because the way my skin is now, I can't see how I wouldn't qualify. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

Hey guys, I just found this thread and tbh I feel terrible about complaining about my skin now because the posters here seem to have it much much worse.

I have psoriasis on both my lower legs for the past few months, but only went to the doctor 2 months ago. She gave me a steriod cream called Dermovate, as she thought it was eczema, turns out she was wrong. I kept using the cream but it didn't help and stung like HELL. My cousin has recommened Diprobase to me now so I'm going to try that, I'll just have a read through the thread here now and see if any of you have used it. I'm getting quite conscious about have bare legs now, which is really annoying for the likes of the gym etc., and esp as I'm moving to a really hot country and don't want to wear tights/leggings all the time! I actually had an old lady come up to me at a bus stop a few months ago because she was concerned I'd fallen over and hurt my legs or something....

Does anyone know of cover-up you can get for it that won't make it worse? MAC have a concealor for face and body which I'd get if I thought it wouldn't make it worse, but I'm pretty sure it would.

I'm know I'm lucky that it's only localised to one area, but it's still really annoying and I'm worried it'll never go away :(

I just read through this whole thread - it's been so helpful!!

I saw a post from 2008 recommending Mr Foley from the pharmacy on Parnell St, I'm going to call in after work and see if he's still there. Does anyone know by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

I found Nizorol shampoo good for scalp and you can actually use it as a soap too for other parts of your body, you only need to leave it on your skin for 30 seconds or so. Good for eybrows and t area of the face.

It keeps mine under control anyway..Can't hurt to try it for a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mismatch

I've suffered from psoriasis for the past ten years or so - bane of my life! But when I read forums such as this one I'm reminded of how lucky I am, really, and that there are others much worse off than me. Mine is very bad all over my scalp and in my ears - on the bright side at least people can't see it most of the time, but wearing black tops is impossible when it's flared up and it sometimes causes my hair to fall out and thin, which isn't nice.

Anyway, I've been using dovonex and betnovate for years with mixed results, but I have dicovered something recently which really helps. You rub TONS of olive oil into the affected parts (time consuming but worth it), put a towel or something on your pillow and leave it in for the night. Next morning, wash it out of your hair (a couple of shampoos does the trick) and continue to do this as regularly as you can manage.

Obviously it doesn't cure the psoriasis but I find it gives tremendous relief, dissolves all the scalyness and lessens the itch considerably. My psoriasis tends to get progressively worse very quickly once it 'takes hold', and I find doing this regularly prevents it from getting to that stage where it really takes hold and goes into a nasty spiral.

Hope this helps someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im 20 (male) and ive suffered this condition for a god few years now. Im using many of the treatments listed here, Dovobet ointment is the only one I have used that makes any big difference, and i have tried many diffrent ointments over the years. I dont use the dovonex because when its good i tend to use nothing at all or maybe just an ordinary moisturiser.
    For my scalp I find Bettamousse excellent, its easy to apply and very effective. I will then use Stieprox medicated shampoo as well.
    I dont believe in using any of those special shapmpoos or bodywashes than you can buy because they are very expensive and in my experience, dont give much relief.
    For me, the best treatment is sunlight. Whenever the sun is shining I try to expose the affected areas to the sun, I find this better than any ointment. I know its hard if youre self conscious but it really does help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pkde1

I've been prescribe Bettamousse and Hydrocortisol ointment for psoriasis on my face and neck. I'm confused about a few things! First, it says in the Bettamousse instructions "massage the mousse into the affected areas of your scalp, and not your hair." But how do you get it onto just your scalp, not your hair? :confused: Also, it says on the pharmisist's sticker on the Bettamousse box, "Apply sparingly. Do not rub in." So do I or do I not rub it in, when the instructions inside say to massage it in? And finally, I have quite a few spots along my hairline at the very edge of my forehead (technically my face I guess) ... does this count as my scalp, and should I use the Bettamousse or Hydrocortisol on these? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SunnyLucy

I've recently been prescribed two types of Dovobet by my GP; one is a gel-like substance in a large tube to be used on the body, the other is a waterier liquid in a squeezy bottle to be used on my scalp. I find the scalp one really good but the body one just makes the affected area flare up and go a really angry red colour, the flakes do disappear but I'm left with these horrible red patches that just seem to get worse and start to sting if I keep applying the gel.
    I presume I'm having a negative reaction to the gel (or am I??) and so I've stopped applying it; yet I dont have any negative reaction to the scalp one which just confuses me altogether. It kills me to sit looking at this massive tube of ointment which cost me a small fortune which I now cant use.. Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

pkde1 wrote: »
    "massage the mousse into the affected areas of your scalp, and not your hair." But how do you get it onto just your scalp, not your hair?
    I think they just mean do not treat it like a normal mousse and waste it by putting it in all of your hair on purpose, just try and get it mainly on the scalp. Most of these mousses and shampoos do not really hold your hair or clean it, they are topical treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I've had this for the last 3-4 years, it is definitely stress related for me, it appears during stressful times/events. It's like a warning sign. I only really get it on my back, at the worst of times it would be widespread across my back and up around my neck and even slightly on my face. Sunshine certainly works wonders on it, I only noticed that by accident after being abroad, just a couple of days of it being exposed to the sun and it completely cleared. Ofc there is no cure as such and it's one of those things that still flares up from time to time, you just have to try to control it. When I notice it starting up again now I try to soothe it using something like aveeno shower oil. Fortunately I've never had it that terribly bad or visible.

• Advertisement

I went back to the doc yesterday and apparently it actually is eczema not psoriasis, and that it's just got infected. Mad thing is that it's not itchy or anything, just sore and looks awful! So on oral antibiotics, and a new steriod/antibiotic cream called Fucibet. She seems to think that will clear it up... Fingers crossed anyways I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I was told for years that I had exzcema and then when I went to a dermatologist 6 years ago he diagnosed me with psorasis.
    In relation to appying the bettamousse, I just lightly spread it around my scalp, without vigoursly rubbing it in and kind of let it soak in.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I've just started UVB therapy for widespread guttate psoriasis.

What I'm wondering is ... is there any chance of getting a tan from this? :o That should be the least of my concerns, I know! I'm just curious. I usually tan quite well, but haven't been out in the sunlight at all this year because of the psoriasis.

Also, how soon do people usually see an improvement? The nurse told me from two weeks onwards, would that be the usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jomama

Hello all.
    I posted way back on March 17, 2010 ref friend who started vit b injections.
    Well, she is now more about 2 years into the continued treatment, and she is free of psoriasis (all to about 5%). She is as surprised as the rest of us. It has been quite astonishing. She has continued her routine of creams and annual recommended UV dosage, but she had been doing all that for YEARS with no noticeable longterm improvement. So we are all putting it down to Vit B injections weekly.

Another astonishing effect has been with her hearing. She was almost completely deaf in one ear for 15 years, due to psoriasis and resultant infection etc. The other ear wasnt much better. However, about 2 weeks ago, OVERNIGHT, she felt a pop in both ears and has been hearing almost perfectly since. She has turned the TV volume down from 60 (max) to 24! She went to ear doc, and had whatever was left vacuumed out (apparently much more effective than flushing it out). Doc confirmed the build up was just skin etc from the psoriasis.

So she is completely won over by the Vit B injections. To anyone out there who has lost hope. Dont be put off. She suffered unbelievably for 20 years and is now almost perfect. But she has stuck with the vit b even though her doc are sceptical. It is cheap, talk to a practice nurse or GP, so why not give it a try. Apparently if you take too much, your body gets rid of it with no side effects, (although slightly flourescent yellow urine!)

Sorry for all the gorey detail, but if your case sounds anything like hers, give it a shot.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have psoriasis in my ears too. I had an ear infection a few months back and read of treating it with weak 2-3% hydrogen peroxide, I also read this is a good for cleaning ears too. Hydrogen peroxide sort of sizzles/fizzes on dead skin, it sizzles on flakes as I tried it on my scalp, and on sites talking of ear cleaning it said it would fizz in anybodys ears due to working on the wax. I put some in my ear and lie down on my side,it did fizz away for about a minute and then you hold tissue up and pour it out and out came wax and gunk. I think it is the fizzing action that loosens the wax.

My ear infection was completely gone 2 days later too. If you ear drum is torn it can be very harmful though.

One of my very closest friends is pregnant (fairly unexpectedly). I was the first person she told about the pregnancy, and have met up with her a couple of times a week (as usual) ever since.

A few weeks ago, my psoriasis got really bad. I mentioned it to her. Since then, she's continuously found excuses not to meet up ... or else, just not texted me on days we've arranged to meet. :( Basically, she's avoiding me because of the psoriasis (there is no other possible explanation.)

I completely understand her wanting to avoid any possible source of infection, for the sake of her baby. It just really hurts, at the same time. I feel like she sees me as a leper or something.

At the same time, I'm not going to go bringing it up with her. If I did, she'd feel "shamed" into meeting up with me. And then say if, god forbid, the baby developed eczema or psorasis or another skin condition. I'd know it wasn't because of me, but she and her family would probably suspect it was.

This is more of a rant than anything, I guess. She's due in just a few weeks. I really want to be there for her and with her at this time. Feel like I'm really missing out. Not fair. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

One of my very closest friends is pregnant (fairly unexpectedly). I was the first person she told about the pregnancy, and have met up with her a couple of times a week (as usual) ever since.

A few weeks ago, my psoriasis got really bad. I mentioned it to her. Since then, she's continuously found excuses not to meet up ... or else, just not texted me on days we've arranged to meet. :( Basically, she's avoiding me because of the psoriasis (there is no other possible explanation.)

I completely understand her wanting to avoid any possible source of infection, for the sake of her baby. It just really hurts, at the same time. I feel like she sees me as a leper or something.

At the same time, I'm not going to go bringing it up with her. If I did, she'd feel "shamed" into meeting up with me. And then say if, god forbid, the baby developed eczema or psorasis or another skin condition. I'd know it wasn't because of me, but she and her family would probably suspect it was.

This is more of a rant than anything, I guess. She's due in just a few weeks. I really want to be there for her and with her at this time. Feel like I'm really missing out. Not fair. :mad:

I dont think that its because of the psoriasis that she cannot meet with you, I would more say its because of the pregnancy. If she's due soon then she probably has a lot on her mind - dont worry :)

Aside from this, has anyone here tried http://www.champori.com/psoriasis-relief.asp

Thinking about giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

have facial.p really only the worst place possible! have it on scalp but no as bad

really need to get something for it, i try new moisturizers all the time have used eucerin , aveeno etc all good but stopped helping it.

get a patch on forhead, around mouthetc. most of the time its not noticablr just when i get flare-up. have a flareup since friday and its sore itchy and annoying

anyone recommend anything to use for the face?

thinking f going the doc to ask for por-topic or heard silkis is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

well that's ridiculous if that is in fact the reason she has lessened contact with you since psoriasis is non contagious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Just had to share this with psoriasis suffers but Kim Kardashian also suffers!!!! And also LeAnn Rimmes suffers too! It just goes to show they not perfect......

Advertisement