Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gillsD

Hi all skin sufferers... how are u all getting on?? I've used moogoo, still using the shampoo (varied with other non perfumed shampoos as i think sticking to the one no longer has an effect after a while..) and i also use the wash. Currently using palmers cocoa butter as my daily moisturiser as i simply could not afford to keep buying moogoo (at 20 odd a tub & i fly through it as sometimes use twice a day)
    Am currently using the óg ireland peat face & body mask a couple of times a week - this has a defo effect of my normal skin, smooth as a babys, most of my patches are quite red after but calm down a bit the next day & also breathing from the saltpipe every evening, sometimes twice a day if i've time in the mornings - this is the home version of going to a saltcave session - bought online from UK.
    Still stressed over work etc so until that changes i suppose i wont get fully better.
    There are days when i think im doing well & other days when i feel ugly & disgusting! :(
    I just wish i had a magic wand to make me 'normal'....
    Am also trying the tesco nappy cream on face & neck in evenings just to see if it helps a bit more - can take the harsh redness look out of it but not sure if it would work permanently to get rid of it but on i continue trying anyway...
    Im sure my family & friends are sick to death of me talking about my skin, giving out, what im trying next etc etc... but its so hard when its all u think about 24/7!
    Anymore tips on whats working for you all - please keep posting! Hopefully in a few wks also after a trip to the sun i'll have happy news to share...

And i would just like to ask that Mr Sun stay as LONG as possible in Ireland so we can better oursevles outdoors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Hi, I was asufferer of psoriasis for years. Mainly in my child and teenage years. It was awful and literally a right pain. I was covered,head, neck, belly, underarms, knees, elbows,eyelids,in and behind ears. Anyways I found sea water to help hugely. It stung like hell but over time it worked. I also used emulsifying ointment mixed with some dead sea salts,rubbed on gently. Again there is a stinging factor but it did definitely work. I'm not sure how good this would be to try on the face,I didn't but everywhere else it worked. I remember being taunted in school over it(back in the day you had to change in the classroom before going to P.E), I used pick off a piece and chase the annoyers with it!Found that to be a great coping strategy. Best of luck and hope ye all clear up soon!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 gillsD

totally know THAT feeling im same, eyelids, undereyes, neck, chest, stomach, back, legs etc etc pretty much head to toe literally!
    Hmmm im away in few wks so will make sure i get plenty of sea water all over - cheers! Lets hope all my efforts combined actually work this time!
    After 12yrs trying i really feel im due a break!
    What did you mix the dead sea salts with exactly?? I've also once a week been using a dead sea salt exfoliator, my bathroom looks like a chemist i swear! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

I mixed salts with regular emulsifying ointment bought at chemist. Like I say,I'm sure you'd know this anyway,rub it on gently. I used leave it on for as long as possible. Then wash off. I hope you get some relief gillsD, people underestimate the effect of psoriasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Just a small note in case it helps anyone...

I was back living with my mother who always tries new things to help get rid of my P (have had it for about 12 years). I usually just go along with anything she suggests in case it works. She was making me carrot juice (with a small bit of green apple and beetroot) everyday. It's fairly easy to make (just need a good juicer) and tastes good (imo). After a couple of weeks the flakeyness was mostly gone and then after about a month patches on my scalp started to clear up totally.

I moved out a couple of weeks ago and it's stopped clearing up but hasn't taken back over the bits it did clear. Not sure if it really was the juice that did it, or it will work for anyone else, but I plan to get myself a juicer and carry on with it as soon as I have enough money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

My prescription for LDN is winging its way down to me now, I have done a lot of reading on it and it seems to be a winning formula and CHEAP compared to the likes of dovobet etc... a months worth cost me 39euro including postage from a pharmacy in louth.

http://www.ldnscience.org/
    http://ldnresearchtrust.org/

Anyway I will keep you updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

glad to report my psoriasis has totally disappeared with the good weather:D. No scales, no patches, no redness!

Try the sunshine folks!

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭bhur

stevejr wrote: »
    glad to report my psoriasis has totally disappeared with the good weather:D. No scales, no patches, no redness!

Try the sunshine folks!

Glad to hear, well done!

AM fooked with it myself, doing exams at the mo so cant afford to stroll around, plus dovobet waaayy too expensive for a student. Was on steroids for a week, reduced original patches, but since then one or two small ones appeared.

Cant Win :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

bhur wrote: »
    Glad to hear, well done!

AM fooked with it myself, doing exams at the mo so cant afford to stroll around, plus dovobet waaayy too expensive for a student. Was on steroids for a week, reduced original patches, but since then one or two small ones appeared.

Cant Win :(

Have you tried an over the counter steriod cream containing 1% cortisone, €3 or €4 AFAIK? Maybe that combined with a few sunbeds might do the trick.

You have two major things that will help you shortly.

1) No exams, less stress. I've found stress to be a major aggravating factor with my psoriasis.

2) No exams, will hopefully mean more time outdoors. Remember the sun is your friend.

You can win:)

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stevejr wrote: »
    Remember the sun is your friend.
    Yep, if you can get out at lunch break you can get some sun in, just do not put on suncream, 10mins is enough for many. You can consider it a free vitamin D cream like dovobet!

I posted this ages ago in this thread
    The SunSafe Advice – Safe and Smart
    1. Sunbathe safely without burning – every day if you can.
    2.The middle of the day is a good time for sunbathing in the UK.
    3. Start by sunbathing for 2-3 minutes each side. Gradually increase from
    day to day.
    4.Don’t use sun screen while sunbathing.
    5. If feeling hot or uncomfortable expose a different area, cover up, move
    into the shade – or use sun screen.
    6.When abroad, where the sun is generally stronger, expose yourself for
    shorter times until you find out how much is safe.
    7. Children benefit from sun exposure, but need guidance.
    8.A tan is natural and is generally associated with good health.

Tesco are doing a deal where you trade in €5 clubcard vouchers for a €10 voucher for various departments, one of them is baby stuff and the nappy cream is included (sudocrem is not), more here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72128652#post72128652

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blink182

im so jealous ye all seem to be able to clear it up even if it doesnt last long. mine wont go away and i have tried practically everyting. i hate using creams now cause if i go to sleep without putting cream on i wake up in pain.but i dont mind the pain its the shame and the looks off people. especially on nights out when i wana wear a dress but cant like. i dont know i think some of us our just destined to have p :(that moogoo thing ye were talking about sounds good though ill give it a go :)sun doesnt seem to help me im just back from florida spent 10 days in a in the sun and it didnt make any different to me.

blink182 wrote: »
    im so jealous ye all seem to be able to clear it up even if it doesnt last long. mine wont go away and i have tried practically everyting. i hate using creams now cause if i go to sleep without putting cream on i wake up in pain.but i dont mind the pain its the shame and the looks off people. especially on nights out when i wana wear a dress but cant like. i dont know i think some of us our just destined to have p :(that moogoo thing ye were talking about sounds good though ill give it a go :)sun doesnt seem to help me im just back from florida spent 10 days in a in the sun and it didnt make any different to me.

Try the LDN, Ive been on it for a month now, no changes yet but it can take up to 3 months to work. Upside is no side-effects exluding strange dreams for the first week but that was warned of!

Its also quite cheap compared to the bloody steroid creams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blink182

never heard of it but looked it up i like the sound of it thanks a mill will try :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Brightest Star

Hi there. :)

Based on a couple of posts earlier in this thread, I've decided to give the Pagano book a go. I've ordered it online, so should hopefully get it during the week.

My backgroud - female, mid twenties, been suffering with psoriasis the last six years or so. It's currently worse than it's ever been before, covered with the stuff, even starting to get patches on my face which is awful. :( It's everywhere now ... scalp, ears, very bad on arms and legs and feet. The odd patch on my tummy and back. It's mostly guttate rather than plaque psoriasis.

I'm fed up of using horrible expensive creams and ointments. So I'm going to read Healing Psoriasis and give the diet a go. I also suffer from IBS, so hopefully it'll help relieve that a bit too. I'm going to try to stick to it as strictly as possible, although I know already that I'm going to find it incredibly tough. Hopefully be worth it eventually.

I probably drink too much wine, so cutting that out will hopefully help a lot (will help with losing a few pounds too!) I love tomatoes, and I'll find it hard to find alternatives for my sauces when cooking. I don't smoke, don't drink tea or coffee, and I don't eat a whole lot of fried foods. I've never drunk herbal teas, but I see they're recommended so I'll give them a go. I drink loads of water, however I also drink a fair bit of Diet Coke - will find that very tough to cut out altogether. I don't eat a massive amount of red meat, but will probably miss it all the same. Love dairy products - will really miss them. :( Also will miss white bread.

Just a few questions for anyone familiar with the book/diet ...

- Looking up reviews of the book online, I've seen something called spinal cord therapy mentioned - what is this?

- I saw somewhere that the first three days of the diet involve eating only apples - is this true?! :eek:

- I also see that a professional enema is recommended at the start!!! Although I can see how this would help, specially as I have IBS, it's just not something I can afford at the moment. How important is this - as in, is there any point in me starting the diet til I can afford one?

- How does it work as regards reintroducing foods? The diet is pretty restrictive, and chances are I'm not sensitive to all those foods - do you start reintroducing them one by one after a while? Or are you meant to cut all of them out permanently?

- Is it recommended to keep using Dovobet, Dovonex, etc, in addition to the diet, or does it matter? (I'm very bad for actually using these regularly anyways! :o Just so nasty and time-consuming.)

I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences of trying to control their psoriasis through dietary changes, either using this diet or others.

Hope everyone is keeping well! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Hi, There I got the book and its really really difficult to stick to the diet. I did however give up all tomatoe based product, potatoes (carbs basically) for a while (about a month), coffee etc and I got a small relief. Its worth a read but maybe I dont have the will power.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭cailineile

Brightest Star
    Just sent you PM :cool:
    Cailin

Grapes, and other fresh fruits can also be used during 3 day apple phase

DonFred wrote: »
    Hi, There I got the book and its really really difficult to stick to the diet. I did however give up all tomatoe based product, potatoes (carbs basically) for a while (about a month), coffee etc and I got a small relief. Its worth a read but maybe I dont have the will power.

DonFred, I have terrible will-power! :o The only reason I'm even going to attempt this diet (starting tomorrow, with the three-day apple detox) is that I've gotten to the stage where I'm desperate, absolutely desperate, to find a solution. I have to give up pretty much all the food I like, but I'm just going to take the attitude that it's only temporary - as in, hopefully I'll eventually be able to reintroduce at least some of those foods.

Also, I have been almost psoriasis-free before for several months a couple of years ago, and the relief was just amazing. Such a sense of freedom. Diets have never worked for me before because I'd have only used them to lose weight, and the motivation wasn't there as I'm only slightly overweight, I could live with it. I can't live with the way my psoriasis is right now, I just can't. I'm going to have a proper go at this diet, and the thought of having lovely clear skin again is such a great motivation.

Have taken some "before" pictures to remind myself just how bad it is right now. The way I see it, it can't get much worse anyways. :pac:
    cailineile wrote: »
    Brightest Star
    Just sent you PM :cool:
    Cailin

Grapes, and other fresh fruits can also be used during 3 day apple phase

Thanks so much for all the info in your PM! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

Based on a couple of posts earlier in this thread, I've decided to give the Pagano book a go. I've ordered it online, so should hopefully get it during the week.

My backgroud - female, mid twenties, been suffering with psoriasis the last six years or so. It's currently worse than it's ever been before, covered with the stuff, even starting to get patches on my face which is awful. :( It's everywhere now ... scalp, ears, very bad on arms and legs and feet. The odd patch on my tummy and back. It's mostly guttate rather than plaque psoriasis.

I'm fed up of using horrible expensive creams and ointments. So I'm going to read Healing Psoriasis and give the diet a go. I also suffer from IBS, so hopefully it'll help relieve that a bit too. I'm going to try to stick to it as strictly as possible, although I know already that I'm going to find it incredibly tough. Hopefully be worth it eventually.

I probably drink too much wine, so cutting that out will hopefully help a lot (will help with losing a few pounds too!) I love tomatoes, and I'll find it hard to find alternatives for my sauces when cooking. I don't smoke, don't drink tea or coffee, and I don't eat a whole lot of fried foods. I've never drunk herbal teas, but I see they're recommended so I'll give them a go. I drink loads of water, however I also drink a fair bit of Diet Coke - will find that very tough to cut out altogether. I don't eat a massive amount of red meat, but will probably miss it all the same. Love dairy products - will really miss them. :( Also will miss white bread.

- Looking up reviews of the book online, I've seen something called spinal cord therapy mentioned - what is this?

- I saw somewhere that the first three days of the diet involve eating only apples - is this true?! :eek:

- I also see that a professional enema is recommended at the start!!! Although I can see how this would help, specially as I have IBS, it's just not something I can afford at the moment. How important is this - as in, is there any point in me starting the diet til I can afford one?

- How does it work as regards reintroducing foods? The diet is pretty restrictive, and chances are I'm not sensitive to all those foods - do you start reintroducing them one by one after a while? Or are you meant to cut all of them out permanently?

- Is it recommended to keep using Dovobet, Dovonex, etc, in addition to the diet, or does it matter? (I'm very bad for actually using these regularly anyways! :o Just so nasty and time-consuming.)

I'd love to hear anyone else's experiences of trying to control their psoriasis through dietary changes, either using this diet or others.

keep us updated with how you get on

thinking about getting the book also!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

hi all

a while back i got dovobet to clear upsmall patches i got on my chest which have gone..they were barely noticable but didnt want it to spread

Im wondering can i use the dovobet on my face as thats really were i got my Psoriasis :( also scalp but that isisnt bad anymore just when i scratch my head alot!

ive read forums saying it thins skin and dont use it.. but i really havent had a break from the psoriais on my face in a while.. i had a brillaint moistueizer that had me clear for ayear but my skin got immune to it.

would love to be able to use the dovobet on my face even just a few times to clear it up....

I think there is a milder version for softer skin, however i have used dovobet on tiny patches on my scalp once or twice with no bother... just wouldnt use it regularly there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You might want to ask your dermatologist. I had dermovate for my feet and was warned not to touch my face (after applying to my feet). A lot of the "milder versions" are simply more dilute, most of the time they are just diluted down with the likes of vaseline but they charge a lot more than what they should, and you have to buy 2 tubes. Since dermovate was so powerful I would mix it very well with vaseline with the handle of a spoon in a little pot, this meant I could apply a even light coat all over my feet, as I said though check with your doc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Got pretty severe temporary dermatitis about six weeks ago as an allergic reaction to an exfoliator (those body buffer/scrub things that are a cream/gel containing lots of little coarse grains that you rub into any dry skin to smooth/soften it) - serious hats off to those with chronic skin conditions, my heart genuinely goes out to you. I always knew it must be unpleasant, but didn't realise until the last five/six-week period just how miserable it can be.

Found Dermovate brilliant - apply extremely sparingly though.

Dermatitis nearly gone now, but what an eye-opener. Very best wishes to you all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I've been on it for just over 5 months now(didnt do the 3 day apple thing or enema)and while starting out is a bit tough you kind of get used to it after a while.It's really not as restrictive as I first thought and if you are serious about it you will put up with it easily enough.
    The hardest part for me strangely enough is drinking plenty of water,I'm just never that thirsty.I have been off the smokes and drink since day one which in itself is an achievement I couldn't have imagined,
    Results have been varied,I'm as clear as I have been in the last few years,there are still one or two stubborn spots that I would put a tiny amount of dovobet on once a week,have not had a single bad flare up since I started however I would say from my experience not to expect a complete clearance,I'm convinced diet does play a part in triggering it but yet to be convinced it can clear it as others will testify.
    Overall I feel so much better fitness and healthwise and it's probably worth trying even just for that,I've a friends wedding coming up soon and I'm giving myself a day off,just hope I don't do too much damage:)
    I can pass on a few tips on food and where to get foods that will make life a bit easier if you want,just let me know.
    Good luck with it :)

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I've been on it for just over 5 months now(didnt do the 3 day apple thing or enema)and while starting out is a bit tough you kind of get used to it after a while.It's really not as restrictive as I first thought and if you are serious about it you will put up with it easily enough.
    The hardest part for me strangely enough is drinking plenty of water,I'm just never that thirsty.I have been off the smokes and drink since day one which in itself is an achievement I couldn't have imagined,
    Results have been varied,I'm as clear as I have been in the last few years,there are still one or two stubborn spots that I would put a tiny amount of dovobet on once a week,have not had a single bad flare up since I started however I would say from my experience not to expect a complete clearance,I'm convinced diet does play a part in triggering it but yet to be convinced it can clear it as others will testify.
    Overall I feel so much better fitness and healthwise and it's probably worth trying even just for that,I've a friends wedding coming up soon and I'm giving myself a day off,just hope I don't do too much damage:)
    I can pass on a few tips on food and where to get foods that will make life a bit easier if you want,just let me know.
    Good luck with it :)

Thank you so much for all of that! :) And yes, would appreciate any tips you would have about foods I can eat!

The book didn't arrive in the post today, which is pretty annoying, was really hoping to get it before the weekend! I've picked up as much info as I can about the diet online, but I can't wait to read the book and find out more about the theory behind the diet etc.

Quick question - are eggs allowed as part of the diet? And also, do you need to cut out all bread and pasta etc, or just the white stuff? How about porridge?

I started the apple detox yesterday but just couldn't keep up with it today! :o So I had a salad with just lettuce, cucumber, onion, tuna and olive oil. I'm drinking lots of water though, and will try to keep to similar foods (mostly fruit and veg) over the next day or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Quick question - are eggs allowed as part of the diet? And also, do you need to cut out all bread and pasta etc, or just the white stuff? How about porridge?.

if I remember correctly it said 2 or 3 eggs a week is ok,porridge is fine as are some other cereals as long as it's skimmed milk.
    Wholegrain breads are permitted but don't overdo it,if you can get your hands on spelt bread that's probably the best to get and it's really nice aswel.

I get a lot of stuff from evergreen.ie,I think they're based in Galway,some things I regularly get there:Sanchi organic brown rice noodles(garlic,onion and organic soya sauce go well with these)
    Orgran gravy mix(sweet potato ain't that nice without something covering it)
    Orgran toasted buckwheat crispibread(crackerbread)
    Orgran buckwheat pasta(i add light Mayo,tuna,onion and sweetcorn)

Supervalu own brand Swiss style muesli is nice and has nothing added to it
    Carmans fruit muesli bars(I eat a lot of these as a sweet substitute)
    Honey and splenda is allowed in small quantities if you have a sweet tooth like me,that's all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

Fish and chicken will be your main ingredients it's just about getting something you like to go with them,tesco do good deals on salmon,I usually get a large fillet and cut into portions and freeze it.

There's plenty of other things allowed and some recipes in the book that are quite nice especially the oatmeal cinnamon hotcakes,I could live on them with honey and banana topping:) if I think of anything else I'll post it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

For those that are finding it hard to give up the beer. I have bad Psoriasis on my legs and found that Tiger Beer was the only beer that didnt aggravate it.

Worth a shot. And its delicious too :)

I think the LDN im taking is beginning to work, I am taking them around 40 days now and my psoriasis is fading and doesnt seem to be flaring... im hoping by the 3 month mark it may be cleared.

I will update again.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭flossie

I used to get pretty bad psoriasis in my scalp and a bit on my knees/elbows. Have you tried Cocois? It's a coconut compound available from the pharmacy. You apply the thick brown lotion to your head (doesn't smell half as bad as most treatments), leave on for a few hours, preferably overnight, and then rinse off. I could see a difference within one treatment, and would have one or two treatments a week when things were bad.

Stress is my flare up. Although have been all clear for a long long time now, when i get very stressed i see it starting to appear around the edges of my hairline.

I've been sticking to the Pagano diet fairly well (but without the initial "cleansing") for about a week now. I'm definitely seeing changes in my skin ... although of course it's so hard to tell if these or down to the diet, or just random changes! :rolleyes: Last week, the psoriasis patches were red, hard, itchy and scaly. For a couple of days, they got really bright red, inflamed, extremely itchy, and the scaling sort of disappeared, leaving them very open and painful. Now, the redness and itching has calmed down a little ... I wouldn't say they look any "better", but it's only been a week, and I see any change as a positive thing because it would seem to prove that there is a correlation between diet and psoriasis? Not expecting any immediate miracle results, but I'm going to persevere with the diet (which is actually surprisingly easy to stick to most of the time.) The only products I'm using on my skin at the moment are Infacare baby bath, Lush Dream Cream moisturiser, and Vaseline/Sudocrem on particularly bad itchy spots.

My scalp/ears have cleared up quite a bit since last week, but I put that down to dying my hair a few days ago - instant results! Anyone else find that hair dye is great for clearing your scalp? - temporarily at least. I googled it and apparently it's the peroxide in it. Good for a short-term fix anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Has anyone tried Elizabeth Arden 8th hour cream on their Psorasis?

Advertisement