Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭seensensee

.... potatoes, bread, sugar, ect ect ect... yes diet appears to be so crucial but there is more to the story. I am currently looking at Candidiasis and Mercury toxicity as being a contributing factor. All in the theory department but there are strong indications.

Now I better go and make myself another pot of saltless garlic and onion soup with steamed whiting and spinach. it's taken months to wean off the bread and sugar, they sure are addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

seensensee wrote: »
    .... potatoes, bread, sugar, ect ect ect... yes diet appears to be so crucial but there is more to the story. I am currently looking at Candidiasis and Mercury toxicity as being a contributing factor. All in the theory department but there are strong indications.

Now I better go and make myself another pot of saltless garlic and onion soup with steamed whiting and spinach. it's taken months to wean off the bread and sugar, they sure are addictive.

Keep at it seensensee, you wont regret it :)

On a positive note, with all this attention you are giving to your diet you should feel a lot better too. Eventually you will figure out that its one particular foods that is killing you and not all the things listed above. I had
    looked into candidiasis and cut out gluten based breads altogether, in fact I cut out bread altogether for about 4 weeks and no difference at all really.

I've been on the Pagano diet again now for about 5 weeks and I wasn't showing any signs of improvement. Was slightly annoyed because the last time I did this after 4-5 weeks I starting to clear!.

So I sat down at the weekend and tried to figure it out...its a really good idea to take a daily journal of what you are eating and grade the daily severity of your psoriasis should make it easier to pinpoint troublesome foods. Keep in mind that it takes about 24 hours to digest foods so if you start to break out it may be something you ate the day before.

So basically the only thing that I didn't change about my diet was plain old tea. I love my tea, so much that I hadn't copped I've been drinking about 6-7 cups a day with milk and sugar. So I quit tea and coffee 5 days ago and all my scaling is gone!, its just kinda red now which I am hoping will die off in a few days too!. I think that maybe I am intolerant to caffeine, I actually feel a lot better now too so fingers cross it was tea that was causing it!. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Feelgood wrote: »
    Keep at it seensensee, you wont regret it :)

On a positive note, with all this attention you are giving to your diet you should feel a lot better too. Eventually you will figure out that its one particular foods that is killing you and not all the things listed above. I had
    looked into candidiasis and cut out gluten based breads altogether, in fact I cut out bread altogether for about 4 weeks and no difference at all really.

I've been on the Pagano diet again now for about 5 weeks and I wasn't showing any signs of improvement. Was slightly annoyed because the last time I did this after 4-5 weeks I starting to clear!.

So I sat down at the weekend and tried to figure it out...its a really good idea to take a daily journal of what you are eating and grade the daily severity of your psoriasis should make it easier to pinpoint troublesome foods. Keep in mind that it takes about 24 hours to digest foods so if you start to break out it may be something you ate the day before.

So basically the only thing that I didn't change about my diet was plain old tea. I love my tea, so much that I hadn't copped I've been drinking about 6-7 cups a day with milk and sugar. So I quit tea and coffee 5 days ago and all my scaling is gone!, its just kinda red now which I am hoping will die off in a few days too!. I think that maybe I am intolerant to caffeine, I actually feel a lot better now too so fingers cross it was tea that was causing it!. :D

Hi, my first post here!! Just finished reading the whole thread. A REVELATION!....I knew other people had psoriasis, including my brother but the weird thing is I thought I was the only one in the world who REALLY had it. I know that sounds weird but that's how I felt.

I'm 32 now and got it in my early 20's,didn't have a clue what it was at first.It started innocuously enough- small dry patches on my face and a few weird waxy-like lumps on my scalp. That was the extent of it for a year. Then I got promoted at work and left home, both happening within the space of a month. BANG I went from being a confident happy, outgoing person to a withdrawn shy nervous wreck.

The reason, you may have guessed....f***ing Psoriasis. All over my face, scalp, chest, back and worst of all, ahem family jewels (to my enduring horror the Ex GF thought it must be an STD and freaked out, hence the... Ex part) Couldn't walk without discomfort.

Tried 6 different doctors and heard everything from ecsema to allergies. Eventually it was my grandmother who suggested i had Psoriasis, she'd told my symptoms to her homeopath. I told Doc No.7 and surprise surprise he confirmed it. So i had a diagnosis finally, was delighted, assumed that for every disease there must be a cure, modern medicine being super-duper and all that with antibiotics for everything. Assumed the doc would give me a few tablets and life would return to normal ie;

-Comb my hair without wincing

-Look in a mirror without cringing

-Go to the Barber's and not drread it

-Get up in the morning and look in the mirror without worrying how my apperance had changed overnight

-Not have to worry that everyone from family to colleagues to even my local shopkeeper was not freaked out by my appearance

-have a full head of hair

-have my confidence back

I couldn't have been more wrong. 7 odd years later and virtually nothing has changed. I have been clear a few times since then but after my first relapse it has been very hard to enjoy the clear times knowing this awful affliction is just around the corner.

As I've said I've just finished this thread and the comforting thing was the familiarity of reading post after post of what mirrored my own dismal experience. Lot's of pages of Deja-vu. I'll continue to read and use this great new(..to me) resource. Thanks

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Is horrible Steve, though there are plenty of people here including me who have gone and are still going through exactly those same emotions :)

I get pissed off sometimes looking at people who can drink all weekend, smoke like troopers, eat complete crap and have perfect skin and I think out of 2% of people in the world that get this disease why did I have to be one of them, but as a good mate of mine who has MS said to me - Life gives you ****, you make manure! :D

I don't think people realise how much it effects your daily life though, I was really outgoing too and loved life. When I got P I was getting paranoid in lifts, meetings and everywhere that people are looking at me. Its a truly horrible feeling one that I have spent 5 years trying to get rid of.

I don't believe a dermatologist can help us, all those expensive creams and sessions are treating the symptoms and not the disease. I believe the answer is in our diets....its our body saying **** you, I don't like what you are doing to me so all you have to do is start treating your body right and it'll heal. Is just matter of finding out what it is thats effecting you.

They actually did a great study on diseases effecting the populations of non western cultured countries, i.e. cultures that don't eat the crap that we do and the incidence of psoriasis was minimal. The 2 countries with the highest occurences were Germany and Italy!. Lots of red meat, pork, nightshades, etc!.

All hope is not lost, Id love to get a bunch of boardsies on this Pagano diet and see if we can't beat this thing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Kurbinator

true P is a cunning little f**ker and why stress.Apparently most people seem to develop P under extreme moments of stress. (455 points isn't the only thing I got in the Leaving Cert)

Baiscally I went on a diet diet of wheatabix fish/chicken and protein a year ago.Though P was still there (cause I was still unknowingly eating nightshades) it wasn't as bad.
    I nearly dropped last week as I looked at my arm and saw the redness going back to a less redish pink.The only thing I was doing differently was I was walking around like an idiot being positive.That ended this week when my psoriatic arthritis returned.Going to see what happens if I cut out the nightshades and wheatabix and act like a positive nut job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

thanks Feelgood,

Well I'm probably commiting all the cardinal sins in terms of my diet and lifestyle eg. smoking, drinking and typical irish diet. Will try getting rid of the redmeat, pork and Tomatoes for a month to see how it goes.

Went for a haircut yesterday, my first in a year. The hair is short now and not as patchy as i'd feared so delighted at that.

The barber advised my to take a few sunbeds. I'm quite dark as it is so i don't think my mates'll notice:) Do you think the sunbeds might do anything to improve the scalp scaling and facial redness? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

stevejr wrote: »
    The barber advised my to take a few sunbeds. I'm quite dark as it is so i don't think my mates'll notice:) Do you think the sunbeds might do anything to improve the scalp scaling and facial redness? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

Maybe drop Rubadub a private message, he made his own UV light which I think he had some success with. Sun\Sunbeds are supposed to do the job alright. Then again overdoing it wouldn't be a bad idea. Again Id say Rubadub could tell you whats safe and whats not. Im in Oz at the moment and I have noticed improvement to some extent with the weather and that.

If you can get a copy of that book somewhere by Dr. John Pagano
    and have a read. I think everyone with P should read it for the simple
    reason that it gets you out of the mindset that psoriasis can't be cured,
    it also moves you away from thinking that its a dermatologist you need
    to be talking to. I wouldn't keep harping on about it only out of everything
    I've tried over the last few years its the only thing I saw results with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

stevejr wrote: »
    Went for a haircut yesterday, my first in a year. The hair is short now and not as patchy as i'd feared so delighted at that.

The barber advised my to take a few sunbeds.
    You could cut your own hair, I haven't been to a barber for almost 15 years! not because of psoriasis (have had it about 5 years) but I have short hair and got my own razor, these days lots of people have a blade 2-4 all over so its no big deal. They even have ones made for doing your own hair now.

It is actually what spurred me on to get a cure, I was sick of having a "blade 4-6" all over as if I went shorter my scalp would show. I am going naturally bald and did not want to grow longer hair as I think it looks bad, like a comb-over. So I read up and found the UVB, it is also a catch 22, long hair and your scalp is not exposed to light -so will not get a chance to be exposed to UVB.
    Maybe drop Rubadub a private message, he made his own UV light which I think he had some success with. Sun\Sunbeds are supposed to do the job alright. Then again overdoing it wouldn't be a bad idea. Again Id say Rubadub could tell you whats safe and whats not. Im in Oz at the moment and I have noticed improvement to some extent with the weather and that.
    I read on other forums that people were clear after moving to a sunny country. The UVB light I have is narrowband and outputs light in the best wavelength to cure P (~311nm). If you go on sunbed you will be exposed to this wavelength but also others, there is a risk of cancer from all UV radiation, so by exposing yourself to just the special wavelength you avoid over exposure. You use the UVB for minutes/seconds, while you would be on a sunbed a lot longer. I have read it is beneficial and is easier to access than UVB if you want to test it for a while.

I read a study, I think in Sweden and women using UVB for many years (maybe 20+) did not have any increase in wrinkles or skin aging. I expect most would suffer a suntan and a few wrinkles if they got rid of P. Other studies on the narrowband UVB showed no increase in risk of cancer -the vitamin D it helps the body produce is probably counteracting the cancer. Vitamin D is beneficial for many things, some people without P were asking about the UVB in the nutrition forum as I was raving about it and it is a great way to get Vitamin D in your system. I think vegans have no common food source to get vitamin D. The standard sunbed will boost vitamin D well.

I have found a cheaper place to get the bulbs. I made mine from scratch but you might be able to get a ready made lamp fitting into which the bulbs would fit into. You might get one in a hardware store, woodies, or a pet shop (who sell unsuitable UVB lights but the correct bulb might be fit). The bulb I have uses a G23 fitting if you are asking, this is the style of fitting at the end where it plugs in. Mine is a 9W bulb, so your lamp fitting must be capable of 9W or more. The new shop also has a 36W bulb, which outputs 6 times the UVB as my 9W bulb. Some people have gotten sunbeds and replaced all or some of the bulbs with UVB

9W here http://www.medlamps.co.uk/lamp-search.html?q=uvb
    36W here http://www.medlamps.co.uk/product/376-Philips-PL-L-36W01-UV-B.html

The 36W one uses a 2G11 connection, it is a longer light so might be easier to find in hardware shops.

the 9W is £24.75 ex VAT, a dermalight 450/500 has 6 of these bulbs and would cost ~€1900 on amazon! crazy stuff, it should be a fraction of that.

Great info Rubadub, cheers for that! :)

Well my book came today.Unfortunatly it was accompanied by an outbreak of P. Lmao started to read it a few mins ago going to power through it and beat the crap out of P once and for all (or at least controll it)

• Advertisement

Sorry for the double post.
    Right I've been on the diet for just over a week at this stage.It's not that bad anyone who has done lipotrim or other similar diets would find it laughably easy but anyway.
    My positive mentality got a boost as I looked in the mirror and found the P on my forehead and groin had cleared up slightly as had my arms and chest area.Automatically thought yes no more girl problems :o)
    However later today at work I noticed that while the plagues had not scaled over the skin around them looked like it was a light pink and other skin was pealing back causing 3 seperate areas to combine into 1.
    I'm hoping that this is mearly new skin growth and trying not to worry untill i see otherwise can anyone confirm this?

Right I've been on the diet for just over a week at this stage.It's not that bad anyone who has done lipotrim or other similar diets would find it laughably easy but anyway.

Delighted to hear that :D The diet isn't actually THAT bad. You just have to
    be wary about certain things. When I first started it I quit bread and dairy and it was really really hard but now it doesn't even bother me. I feel a lot better these days too from that diet.

My positive mentality got a boost as I looked in the mirror and found the P on my forehead and groin had cleared up slightly as had my arms and chest area.Automatically thought yes no more girl problems :o)
    However later today at work I noticed that while the plagues had not scaled over the skin around them looked like it was a light pink and other skin was pealing back causing 3 seperate areas to combine into 1.
    I'm hoping that this is mearly new skin growth and trying not to worry untill i see otherwise can anyone confirm this?

Yay!. Don't get annoyed if it gets worse before it gets better though, if you look towards the back of the book there is a whole section on healing. Look at the pictures and the different stages the skin goes through. You will notice that the scaling stops, then it will probably get amazingly red and inflamed and then new skin forms. Is all part of the healing process, as they say it'll get worse before it gets better! :) Just be patient with it, could take upto 3 months to be completely clear or more even. Just take it a day at a time..

Just think of it as one big detox exercise, just drink a ****load of water and all the right foods to help it on the way..keep us posted anyways!.

:D Yup got myself a nice stash of detox /green tea and camomile.Also tracked down this handy bundle of stuff here http://www.baar.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=10200&Category_Code=PSO&Product_Count=1

I didn't bother with the cream or oil as I have a lot already.Just posting the link incase it helps someone

Seriously Though:
    Anyone reading this who hasn't got that book get it.Costs 25-30 euros can't praise it enough.

I got my healing psoriasis book cheap on book depository.

€8.85 incl delivery
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/book/9780470267264/Healing-Psoriasis

ooo rub it in >< (what's with me and puns today)
    I'm blaming winter on my P this year.Not as bad as last year still it was almost gone and came back.Pffft still going strong on the diet though

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

Hi,

Im currently reading Dr. Paganos book. He mentions glyco-thymoline often. Can anyone tell me if its available anywhere in Dublin?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

CAn anyone tell me the full title of the book by Dr. Pagano. I google it but a couple showed up so am not sure which one is which. Thanks

DonFred wrote: »
    CAn anyone tell me the full title of the book by Dr. Pagano. I google it but a couple showed up so am not sure which one is which. Thanks

this one
    rubadub wrote: »

€8.85 incl delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

rubadub wrote: »

€8.85 incl delivery

( If you want to read rather than own the book )

Some local authority libraries have this book available to borrowers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

First time I've seen this post. Haven't read through it all but seems like there is some good info in it. I like the idea of the UV treatment. I have noticed while away in sunnier countries that it has improved. Only thing is I have it real bad all over my arse and hips. So unless i head to a naturist camp I wont get much sun in these locations

One thing i noticed this year was that I got a really bad sprained ankle and while i was laid up for a week and in pain for many weeks more my psoriasis seemed to clear up. But as soon as my ankle started to get better it just creped back to its normal self. That got me thinking was the healing process of my ankle keeping my body busy enough that it didn't have time to produce the rash.

I have it so long I've gotten used to it and just don't bother with trying to do anything only when it gets real sore and fires on some protopic for a few days. Over the last month tho it has gotten real bad all over. The worst its been in years. Even my scalp got it bad, but that seems to be gone now.

I'll have to have a good read of this thread and see if there is anything that might help. If I can stop been lazy and try a few things :P

• Advertisement

DonFred wrote: »

Its the same book Donfred, he just keeps updating it so you will notice the cover changes. Its just called Healing Psorasis - A Natural Alternative :)

We spoke ages and ages ago about using apple cider vinegar for the scalp,
    how you getting on mate?. Any progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Its the same book Donfred, he just keeps updating it so you will notice the cover changes. Its just called Healing Psorasis - A Natural Alternative :)

We spoke ages and ages ago about using apple cider vinegar for the scalp,
    how you getting on mate?. Any progress?

I gave up on it. I just use a shampoo and scalp cream from this company www.moogoo.ie. I find it good.

Must just mention that while waiting and waaaaaaaaaaiting for UV hospital treatment I have had much success on the scalp by using Nizoral 20/g on 5-6 occasions. It does feck all for the back of the ears tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Redbhoy

I recently purchased a tiny tub of herbal cream and some pills from the Chinese Health shop in the Blanchardstown centre. Ive only been using them for about a week or so but Im impressed with the progress. The sores arent so flaky and in some cases are shrinking in size and it seems to be clearing behind the ears.
    €20 for the tub and €45 for the pills.

Does anybody know of any deserts that are safe to eat and won't waste alot of money or time on for xmass?

Kurbinator wrote: »
    Does anybody know of any deserts that are safe to eat and won't waste alot of money or time on for xmass?

Freshly peeled apples.

Freshly peeled apples.

Yeah or a fruit salad!.

Bananas are good too, basically any alkaline fruit. Grapes, melon, peaches etc etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Kurbinator wrote: »

If you are in Dublin, there is a shop blazing salads that does some sugar free cookies and buns etc..some of them are tasty enough..

I always find that when I get bad psoriasis anything with a high sugar content or alcohol really riles it up.

Maybe a very small amount of trifle or pudding won't do too much harm though.

Well I've been practicing to reduce and eliminate all the baddies and now the current diet consists strictly of brown rice, humous, spinach, fish, apples, lemons, mineral water and multivitamins. No difference to the psoriasis but it's just a disciplining exercise prior to dr paganos recommendations. It's staggering to think of what the old days contained and how difficult it felt to refuse things like bread, crisps, cake and biscuits.
    Hope for the future now it's time to check out the good doctor.

• Advertisement

No difference to the psoriasis but it's just a disciplining exercise prior to dr paganos recommendations.

Discipline is right and it does take a lot of discipline. Though on the quest to send P into remission everything else about you improves too so its not necessarily a bad thing.

Like quit smoking and I actually quit tea with sugar. I've lost about 1/2 stone, I'm a lot fitter, sleeping better there are multiple pluses!. The way I look at it is, if I had never gotten P I probably wouldn't have been as bothered quitting the ciggies and coffee.

That diet of yours seems very strict though seensensee, theres loads of other stuff you can add to that what about veggies!. Anyways hopefully in the new year there will be some really nice success stories :D

Advertisement