Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Deleted post.

Documentation required is in the post.

My local hospital (after sitting in the bloods waiting room for over 2 hours) and my GP have both said they are unable to do the required blood test to check for TB. Total waste of a day yesterday.

Now I have to drive 2.5 hours each way to get the test done in Vincent’s.

Yay \o/

Drove to Vincent’s yesterday for the test.

Got to the car park, up 5 levels, parked, walked in to the hospital and got the test done and back out in the car within the 20 mins free parking. Quite a result? :)

The test I got blood drawn for was a Quantiferon test. Said the results would take around 3 weeks to come back.

Looking like i’m gonna have to hold off treatment until mid November, heading away for a while with the wife at the end of October and I don’t wanna be dealing with injections while i’m there and I don’t think the derm will want me travelling while taking the loading doses? Maybe? Maybe not....i’ve emailed him to check, no reply as yet tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Find that new Vasoline Advanced Dry Skin repair to be fantastic for moisturising the skin for everyday use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

eeloe wrote: »
    Drove to Vincent’s yesterday for the test.

Got to the car park, up 5 levels, parked, walked in to the hospital and got the test done and back out in the car within the 20 mins free parking. Quite a result? :)

The test I got blood drawn for was a Quantiferon test. Said the results would take around 3 weeks to come back.

Looking like i’m gonna have to hold off treatment until mid November, heading away for a while with the wife at the end of October and I don’t wanna be dealing with injections while i’m there and I don’t think the derm will want me travelling while taking the loading doses? Maybe? Maybe not....i’ve emailed him to check, no reply as yet tho.

Such an ordeal for a simple bloodtest though, it's shocking they just don't mail it, or ask you to mail it yourself at your own expense if that the problem.

• Advertisement

It's something to do with incubation as soon as the test is performed i believe.

This whole weeks and weeks of waiting is starting to get to me a bit. :( I have my poor wife driven demented going on about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It's something to do with incubation as soon as the test is performed i believe.

This whole weeks and weeks of waiting is starting to get to me a bit. :( I have my poor wife driven demented going on about this.

I have a lot of sympathy. Its so much easier for those of us who live in Dublin.

You're right, the sample must be tested the same day its taken, and possibly kept refridgerated . Posting it in would destroy the sample.

Good luck, you're nearly there.

Thanks for the well wishes!

Did anyone else find the waiting around between tests and consultations and treatment to be nearly worse than the P itself?

The thoughts of the next 3 weeks waiting is kinda soul destroying, and I know full well he’s gonna ask me to get a chest X-ray after this which will delay things further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Eeloe, I’m lost. What’s this procedure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Thanks for the well wishes!

Did anyone else find the waiting around between tests and consultations and treatment to be nearly worse than the P itself?

The thoughts of the next 3 weeks waiting is kinda soul destroying, and I know full well he’s gonna ask me to get a chest X-ray after this which will delay things further.

You just gotta be cool about it......

My first Quantiferon test was inconclusive and so had to be repeated ( adding 4 weeks ) ............ Que Sera, Sera

Chest X-Ray ? yes, that was part of the work up. Being in the public system - after the blood was drawn I just had to walk over to X-Ray and 10 minutes later the X-Ray was done.

@Shoes : My understanding is that before starting some of the biologics it is necessary to screen for exposure to TB ( Quantiferon test ) and other lung issues ( thus chest X-Ray )

• Advertisement

Jaysus I never actually thought of it coming back inconclusive. Damn it.

I haven’t had a chest x-ray, yet, but I know he will ask for one, and my local hospital now won’t do it so i’m probably gonna have to drive to Dublin for that again, so more delays.

Woke up this morning, and my face is after breaking out....i used to get one maybe two 1c coin patches around my nose and left cheek, never got worse than that.

Today, my entire face is flakey....fcuk my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Woke up this morning, and my face is after breaking out....i used to get one maybe two 1c coin patches around my nose and left cheek, never got worse than that.

Today, my entire face is flakey....fcuk my life.

What creams have you got?

Betnovate, Dovobet, Protopic, Mometmasone, hydrocortisone, you name it, i've got it.

Betnovate, Dovobet, Protopic, Mometmasone, hydrocortisone, you name it, i've got it.

I swear by Protopic for my face. Twice a day for a few days until it settles then less often.

Twice a day? i thought you're not supposed to go out with it on your face?

I put it on before bed and wash it off in the morning?

A nurse did say it to me about it making your skin burn. To be honest it works so good one generous application at night is usually enough for me.
    My then GP told me I could use it twice during a bad flare which thankfully I rarely get

Okay, i'll try it there in a minute. usually if i get a flare, i stick some on at night, give it another little bit the next night and it's gone.

But this has been getting progressively worse all weekend, i never get flakey patches on my face, this is a first, ever....

It's usually only ever a red patch.

It’s actually fairly sunny outside so do be careful. Or leave it until you get home from work

i might just leave it till tonight.

I'll just lather myself in moisturiser every hour.

only another 2.5 weeks to go until i get my Quantiferon results....i wonder if i'll have to jump through anymore hoops before treatment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Gael23 wrote: »
    I swear by Protopic for my face. Twice a day for a few days until it settles then less often.

Is Protopic over the counter or prescription? Thanks

Robin132 wrote: »
    Is Protopic over the counter or prescription? Thanks

You need a prescription. I’m not sure anything I’ve used on my face has been OTC.

Anything that actually works is script only....OCT stuff isn't worth a toss.

Prof.Kirby just called....all bloods are clear, and most importantly, my quantiferon test came back negative so i don't have TB! :D

Script is coming early next week, so by this time next week i could be on my first shot of stelara!

FECK YES!

So it's been a fecking hell of a long road, from referral to now.

But i have my first shot of Stelara in hand, it's in the fridge, my GP's going to administer it tomorrow at 10:30am.

Is this it? is this the end of my psoriasis? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Make sure to get your flu shot

brevity wrote: »
    Make sure to get your flu shot

They aren’t out for another week but yes that’s really important.

should i get that BEFORE or after i start?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

should i get that BEFORE or after i start?

Doesn't really matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

I have had 2 shots of Stelara and am a little underwhelmed to be honest.
    I've experienced terrible itching, my arthritis the worst it has ever been and only slight change in the psoriasis.
    I go back to my consultant in October but unless there is a big change between now and then, I'll be asking for something else.

Hope you have a more instant response eeloe or maybe I just need to be more patient but Enbrel cleared my psoriasis within a few weeks. Unfortunately it just stopped working for me.

Advertisement