Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I’m seeing Prof.Kirby in Vincent’s. Couldn’t get an appointment for Waterford until next year.

See that’s it, if it’s going to exhaust me for a day a week, possibly more....what other effect will it have on me? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

eeloe wrote: »
    I’m seeing Prof.Kirby in Vincent’s. Couldn’t get an appointment for Waterford until next year.

See that’s it, if it’s going to exhaust me for a day a week, possibly more....what other effect will it have on me? :(

Still worth trying, and like I said the exhaustion thing doesn't normally last. Now I just get it the odd time.

Then again, as the side effects have subsided, so has the efficacy it seems.

I think Mtx is like a right of passage though, you start with that, and then see what else could help ?

Plus, and that for me is important anyway, it's cheap.

I had to go private to see him. It's a lot of money, but I was very unwell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

Everyone reacts differently to medication. I don't get any side effects with Humira whereas I know people who say they are tired all the time. I suppose it depends if you think the benefits of improving your condition outweigh any potential side effects.

Still worth trying, and like I said the exhaustion thing doesn't normally last. Now I just get it the odd time.

Then again, as the side effects have subsided, so has the efficacy it seems.

I think Mtx is like a right of passage though, you start with that, and then see what else could help ?

Plus, and that for me is important anyway, it's cheap.

I had to go private to see him. It's a lot of money, but I was very unwell.

I had to go private in Vincent’s too, only way I could get seen.

And I can safely say it’s after getting 50% worse since I saw him, do have a lot going on tho.

Everyone reacts differently to medication. I don't get any side effects with Humira whereas I know people who say they are tired all the time. I suppose it depends if you think the benefits of improving your condition outweigh any potential side effects.

Yeah I guess the only way to see is try it. Time to start plucking up courage.

• Advertisement

And I can safely say it’s after getting 50% worse since I saw him, do have a lot going on tho.

In my experience stress plays a huge, huge role in conditions like psoriasis, eczema, arthritis etc. basically any inflammatory condition. Doctors don't know much about it because it's very hard to measure but the periods when my skin condition was at its worst was during stressful periods. For example, I went on a J1 in 2012, had the time of my life and had no skin problems whatsoever. As soon as I came home and got back to the daily grind it flared up again. There is 100 per cent a connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

This is a complete guess but your anxiety and stress about MTX side effects may be making your skin worse.

I understand. I got upset when I read the list of side effects. However, the list of side-effects is the complete list of side effects that has ever happened anyone on MTX.

Many people (myself included) have no noticable side effects at all.

As was said in a previous reply, you dont know what side effects you will get and if the improvement will be worth it.

Its worth a try. Good luck.

huskerdu wrote: »
    This is a complete guess but your anxiety and stress about MTX side effects may be making your skin worse.

I understand. I got upset when I read the list of side effects. However, the list of side-effects is the complete list of side effects that has ever happened anyone on MTX.

Many people (myself included) have no noticable side effects at all.

As was said in a previous reply, you dont know what side effects you will get and if the improvement will be worth it.

Its worth a try. Good luck.

Yes, the stress of everything is 100% making the whole situation worse, the fact i can't train due to injuries, the skin itself, researching MTX....it's all making me stressed out, which in turn is making my skin even more dodgy.

I guess all i can do is wait and see what happens.

If you don't mine me asking huskerdu, how long did it take for MTX to work for you? i know everyone is different, but it would be nice to know!

WHOA WHOA WHOA!!!

I dunno what came over me just there, but i remembered that my GP tried me on loads of stuff about 3 years ago, different creams and ointments and things.

I just said i'd search my bedside locker to see if i could find anything, and low and behold, i found a sheet of MTX, as soon as i found it, it all came flooding back, i took them for about 6 months leading up to my wedding because i wanted to get some relief before that. And i remember the reason i stopped taking them was because all they were doing was destroying my stomach!!! God damn it....talk about a wasted trip (and money) to Vincents. This is basically what he wants to start me on, and i've already tried it and it didn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

@eeloe :

MTX by s/c pen is much easier than oral on the stomach.

Were you on over 15mg oral ?

If so, then s/c pen can also be expected to be more effective.

There are a number of studies which have found the above. For example :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24728329

• Advertisement

according to the packet, i was on 12.5mg on a monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

...was on 12.5mg on a monday.

Modest enough so.

BTW I dont get what this 'on a monday' lark is all about. Wonder if whoever came out with it has any idea of what its like.

FWIW I do mine after lunch Saturday, kicks in late afternoon, generally can sleep Saturday night ( if take Saturday night, found sleep difficult ), things on the up by Sunday & Folic acid Sunday evening.

What routines do y'all have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

0lddog wrote: »
    Modest enough so.

BTW I dont get what this 'on a monday' lark is all about. Wonder if whoever came out with it has any idea of what its like.

FWIW I do mine after lunch Saturday, kicks in late afternoon, generally can sleep Saturday night ( if take Saturday night, found sleep difficult ), things on the up by Sunday & Folic acid Sunday evening.

What routines do y'all have ?

I take mine Wed evening. I'm part time and was off Thurs. So made sense. My days are likely to change this year so I'll change accordingly.
    I take folic acid but not on Tue/wed/Thurs.
    I agree the Monday thing is BS, it just really shows the attitude of docs towards patients, I think they assume we're too thick to remember medication.

Just managed to get through to Prof.Kirby's secretary, He's still on leave until next Monday!

This has been the longest couple of weeks of my life....god damn it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just managed to get through to Prof.Kirby's secretary, He's still on leave until next Monday!

This has been the longest couple of weeks of my life....god damn it!

I thought he was back this week too. Not doing good and I need to see him but I have an appointment next week anyway.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I thought he was back this week too. Not doing good and I need to see him but I have an appointment next week anyway.

What's happening? Enbrel not working?

What's happening? Enbrel not working?
    I've been diagnosed with Chrons Disease. Enbrel wont work for that so now we need to find something that treats both.

Oh man, that sounds like a proper pain in the hole.

Fingers crossed for you buddy.

Oh man, that sounds like a proper pain in the hole.

Fingers crossed for you buddy.

Something I could do without just now to be honest. I know it will be sorted but its not simple. The gastroenterologist thinks that theres a link with my Psoriasis which makes sense to me. Enabler works brilliantly for my Psoriasis so I'm worried about coming off it which isn't helping as stress is such a trigger.

Well you’re in the best hands dealing with Kirby. At least you’re not dealing with all this and only dealing with a GP!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Gael23 wrote: »
    Something I could do without just now to be honest. I know it will be sorted but its not simple. The gastroenterologist thinks that theres a link with my Psoriasis which makes sense to me. Enabler works brilliantly for my Psoriasis so I'm worried about coming off it which isn't helping as stress is such a trigger.

Stelara supposedly works for both Chrones disease and psoriasis so it might be your next option.

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Stelara supposedly works for both Chrones disease and psoriasis so it might be your next option.

As does Humira. I had inflammation in my colon caused by psoriatic arth. and the Humira cleared it up almost immediately.

Misguided1 wrote: »

That’s one of the options we are considering. I need convincing that one dose every 3 months can control my Psoriasis though

One shot every 3 months would be awesome if it was good!!!

Is anyone here taking Stelera?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

I am.

Only had two shots though. Feels weird as I was on one a week when I was on Humira.

Humira is my preference for where to go as I think it’s every 2 weeks.

brevity wrote: »
    I am.

Only had two shots though. Feels weird as I was on one a week when I was on Humira.

How is it going for you? Any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

How is it going for you? Any problems?

Too early to tell really. The redness is down but it can still get itchy.

I use Enstilar spray as well so that is probably helping a bit.

Hopefully it’s a success for you

• Advertisement

It’s incredibly expensive, something like €10k every 3 months.
    My case is well beyond a GP at this point. Haven’t gone near him yet since I git the diagnosis.

Advertisement