Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi Cap v Mid Cap

Options
  • 12-08-2008 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭

Just thought it might be interesting to know people opinions on the mater, there has been a very strong move from hi caps over to mid caps down in cork, clearly people still use hi caps but there has been a clear swing away from them when using anything other than an support weapon.

This has not been imposed by the sites but since your first one or two skirmishes, the change has taken place and has a marked effect on game play and style.

I personally normally run around with 9 midcaps when using an assault rifle/smg, normally loaded with about 100rds (i tend not to load them up completely to help with feeding) 8 in the webbing and 1 in the rifle. I find this balanced and i always enjoy reloading under fire.

So what are people views on mid cap and hi caps.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

tbh i'm happier with midcaps.
    no stopping to wind !

no rattle either

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I have 11 midcaps (1x60rnd 4x100rnd and 6x130rnd) and I'd normally load these before leaving the house in the morning.

That said, I carry a bunch of high caps with me (usually two in a mag clamp) to the site because reloading Mid-caps can be a real chore.

They are miles better though, more fun, less rattle, no catastrophic "unwinding" just when you need those last few rounds the most. If I could just get them in metal at 30rnd or 50rnd capcity I'd be laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Im a MidCap fan.
    The only thing i like HiCaps in is a support gun.

We played a bunch of games at HRTA last weekend with ammo limits.
    3 x MidCaps or 1 HiCap were all that one could have (excluding 1 pistol mag).
    It made for some great games!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

3 x MidCaps or 1 HiCap were all that one could have (excluding 1 pistol mag).
    It made for some great games!

We have done the same kind of thing, when cork first started people would go out loaded with a silly amount of hi caps and ammo, this quickly got rather boring within a week or two really, we have done a number of limited ammo games normally running at about 300 rds so you can load up with that how you want, be it 1 hi cap or a few mid caps.

I’m of the opinion that excessive hi caps lead to the practice of people walking bbs onto a target instead of aiming.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭RC car fanatic

I prefer Hi-caps.Especially the G&G ones.rounds and I don't mind the rattle either.Mid-caps are fun and I too love reloading in the middle of a battle but I like to be able to shoot continuously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ok, like I said on IRC last night, this whole issue, in my opinion, kinda splits airsoft into to sections: "Milsimish" and the more common BB hosing which can only be associated with Paintball. I like both, the latter being generally what you'll get at an average saturday skirmish. Some player choose to use midcaps but thats their choics, nobodys telling them to(at these games the noise factor is a waste, but I get the loading bit). Personally I prefer these as they are just laidback games that are a bit of fun. Then, you have the ammo type games and full milsim ones which apply restrictions and they can be quite intense.

Both work well in the role they play and as long as guns come with Hi-caps its going to be very prohibitive to "ban" them(I know nobody suggested it, just making a point). I say just play the game the way you want to play and as long as they arent cheating I couldn't care less what mags ect the others are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

hi caps make all decent aegs into support weapons without the weight or size and the restrictions that these bring

i think that they have a place but that with them in play the luck/skill ratio is affected

good for beginners but need to be restricted in the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

absolutely, definitely, 100% prefer midcaps, i cant stand the rattle and winding with hicaps. reloading under fire is also a bit of fun too and in my own opinion, makes the game fairer.

The only exception I make to this is my P90, primarily because the hi-caps dont rattle and only need to be wound once, but even at that I would normally only use one mag in a game (300 rounds)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

kdouglas wrote: »
    absolutely, definitely, 100% prefer midcaps, i cant stand the rattle and winding with hicaps. reloading under fire is also a bit of fun too and in my own opinion, makes the game fairer.

The only exception I make to this is my P90, primarily because the hi-caps dont rattle and only need to be wound once, but even at that I would normally only use one mag in a game (300 rounds)

Although it does allow you the unfair advantage of being able to hold the trigger down for 300 rounds ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

I use 1 tm X 68, 2X G&P 130, 1X CA 130 and a src hi cap that i got with a src 416. I find lately that the G&P and CA need a good lot of silicone before use. The mags keep jamming when in use. Bar frm that i only use the midcaps when i am playing. 458 bbs does the trick for a cqb match.:D

• Advertisement

hi caps make all decent aegs into support weapons without the weight or size and the restrictions that these bring

this is an issue I have, I think there should be some advantage to lugging a support weapon about,

It really comes down to the sites you play at i think there is a definite difference in game play style between site, we are not just talking special weekends and events, seems to be a rash of these semi 'misim' events of late, some sites seem to be in the milsim camp week in week out where as some sites are more in the spray and prey camp.

Its a natural thing you see in airsoft around the world and its nice to see airsoft developing into different areas. For me there is nothing wrong with sites placing restrictions on players, this is easier for Dublin area as if someone does not like rules or game types at one site its semi easy to go to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

i would be a mid capper. altho i recently got new acu interceptor armour with the shoulder guards and true to the original it is ridiculous how many molle pouches you can get. so i can carry 12 mags, 6 40mm nades and 2 pouches for gas and bb reloading,and ammo for a pistol and thats just the front panels...so i guess i am a walking hi cap...emphasis on walking. you do sweat like a pervert in a barney suit however...i can now understand why the newer ops combat shirts are all the rage.

as KD said, there is a lot of fun in the 'oh s**t' moment when you realise you are out and have to reload...

i would like one of those auto loaders tho...did anyone ever get one of these and review them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I carry 4-5hicaps and the same amount of mids., Id love to be ale to use only midcaps but you'd simply be outgunned. theres people out their with box mags on subby killers! and some people carry a lot more hicaps than others, for one man to play in a game like that he'd need a awful lot of midcaps to stand a chance.,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It's hard to tell what kind of game it will end up being. I carry 5 m4 midcaps and 2 hicaps just in case it's a shooty kinda game. Obviously I'd prefer if people stuck to ammo limits, but you're not really able to impose that kinda thing on some people, since some people just wanna shoot, a lot, all the time, and wouldnt be having fun otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

clearly none of you use a G36.... :rolleyes:

Much as I would very much prefer to use midcaps - I just ain't got either the inclination or the space on the rig to carry 10 of those big b*stards around with me.

my loadout = 3x430rnd hi-cap & 1x50rnd low-cap (for the pictures :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

extremetaz wrote: »
    clearly none of you use a G36.... :rolleyes:

Much as I would very much prefer to use midcaps - I just ain't got either the inclination or the space on the rig to carry 10 of those big b*stards around with me.

my loadout = 3x430rnd hi-cap & 1x50rnd low-cap (for the pictures :p)

Whey, havent seen you on here in ages.

Thats a good point. Even if I could get UMP midcaps how the hell would I carry them. Could take maye three but three mids aint that much.

but you're not really able to impose that kinda thing on some people, since some people just wanna shoot, a lot, all the time, and wouldnt be having fun otherwise

i have to agree and disagree with this, I don’t think you can impose restrictions on players unless you make these restrictions known to players before the day be that an event or a normal weekend skirmish day, but if the style of play and restrictions are know in advance there is nothing wrong with a site dictating game play style (that is after all what the site is for, i know its harder with airsoft as it is in Ireland at the moment but in the end people would just go to a site that runs the style of play they wish to play)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

i would normally carry high caps, sometimes i would mix high and mid caps

high caps do have their benifits, they are faster to reload and sometimes when players are slow putting their hands up when hit a steady stream of bb's can "encourage" them to reach for the sky :D

mid caps and night games would seem to be a great mix due to the lack of noise and because i havent heard of people going through huge ammounts of ammo in these games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

vtec wrote: »
    theres people out their with box mags on subby killers!,

That kind of thing should be banned outright. Hicaps are one thing, box mags on assault rifles and smg's is just a joke and waste of time to try to play against.
    I'm not a fan if hicaps at all. I hate just about every aspect of them, but I do believe they have a purpose among beginners. A pair of hicaps is enough for most peoples first couple of skirmishes. I use midcaps a fair bit but I mainly use locaps. I prefer the restricted ammo counts. I'm looking into getting some realcaps for milsim use in the next few days.

I don't believe using mids would leave you outgunned though. I've been using them for some time now and never had a complaint. I find most highcappers can fall into relying on their larger ammo quantity and therefore tend to hold the trigger that bit longer. Having less ammo makes you consider each shot a bit more. I've often drawn out highcappers by standing at the edge of their range until they run dry (works more often than you think).

But boxmags on anything other than "proper" support guns should just not be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I dont like the rattle of Hi-Caps I think that
    Hi-Cap Magazines should be made using the same principle
    as the P90 Hi-Cap Magazine.
    (With that said mine keeps jamming every few rounds)

Where the magazine plate under spring pressure pushes the BB's together
    so as the mag empties they dont rattle. Someone else may be able to
    explain better how the mag works. Pretty nifty idea.

I'f I played I would prefer Midcaps. I would not like the idea of walking a string
    of BB's to a target. I would also prefer firing in semi or maybe a 3 round burst rather
    than full auto. Full auto is fun but for a skirmish it would not be about how many BB's
    my Magazine could hold but rather how the user would fire them. I think using midcaps
    would probably make people aim and fire and learn to conserve ammo rather than
    being lazy and keep their finger on the trigger spraying and praying.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

bullets wrote: »
    I dont like the rattle of Hi-Caps I think that
    Hi-Cap Magazines should be made using the same principle
    (With that said mine keeps jamming every few rounds)~B

what bbs are you using in it ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

NakedDex wrote: »
    I've often drawn out highcappers by standing at the edge of their range until they run dry (works more often than you think).

I tend to use that as a tactic with silly people though, :D
    I'll fire on them a few times and then shout to my other team mates miles away "lads, throw me a mag, im out!" and then the guy thinks.. "Aha! have ya now ya big eejit!"

then i riddle em with my abundance of ammunition., :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lomarticus

Both of my AEGs use G36 mags and I honestly couldn't play without Hi-caps.
    I just can't carry enough mid-caps on my kit as the mags don't fit anywhere other than the magwell :).

I like the idea of being capable of doing support with the hi-caps if the team needs it but I don't think I've ever used more than two-thirds of a hi-cap in our mil-sim games anyway.

Bottom line for me is that it's nice to have hi-caps as long as you use them sensibly and never use them to ruin the game for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I've been using 1 hi-cap and 5 mid-caps with my G36C for the last few months; but the hi-cap is only because I have a stack of rough bbs that I've been trying to use up which don't feed in mid-caps. And with my AUG now being my main AEG, I'll have to wait a week before my AUG mid-caps get here, so it'll be 2 hi-caps until then, out of neccessity. Other than that, I'm absolutely a fan of mid-caps, personally, practically and from a game-balance perspective.

There's always the realism/having fun aspect to the debate, but I'd much rather a balanced game than a fun game of bb-hosing; this is why I like airsoft, not paintball. A support weapon is just that, and it carries the penalty of being much heavier. If we can have a light rifle with 3k rounds and very high ROF, it completely distorts game play because it is an enormous advantage over someone with a more realistic set of mid-caps. I'm not talking about an anally-retentive degree of milsim realism, just game limits on what people take with them into a game. Even with 1J limits you can still give yourself a technical advantage over other players through ammo supply.

I imagine that over time, this will become more of a hard limit for team games, and running around with a c-mag or box-mag on anything other than a SAW or LMG will be the mark of the beginner, and will be disallowed in more serious games.

Incidentally, this very thread topic came up here many months ago, with some spirited discussion particularly from Dex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I use high caps in my G3. Not that I'm a spray and pray player
    just becuase all the available mid caps for it are brutal
    even TM's own 70rd mid caps are dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Yeah vtec, but you riddle them. I hit them once, maybe twice. There's not much sweeter in a game than watching a guy empty 200 rounds at you and then hitting him with one single shot. It's oddly gratifying. Less is more, as they say. Then again you're rarely not grinning out there anyway!

Kev: yeah I promise not to get as worked up this time! And no more sales as a result of my posts!

(With that said mine keeps jamming every few rounds)

The earlier p90 hi caps have more feeding problems than the new versions, also there are a number of things that you can do to improve feeding, one of the best things is to add a small wedge to the plate that pushes the bbs, this stops the plate getting stuck, i can fire a full hi cap off without and stoppage 9 out of 10 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Lomarticus wrote: »
    Both of my AEGs use G36 mags and I honestly couldn't play without Hi-caps.
    You just can't carry enough mid-caps as the mags don't fit anywhere other than the magwell :).

I like the idea of being capable of doing support with the hi-caps if the team needs it but I don't think I've ever used more than two-thirds of a hi-cap in our mil-sim games anyway.

Bottom line for me is that it's nice to have hi-caps as long as you use them sensibly and never use them to ruin the game for others.

I have to completely disagree with you there; they are big, but I generally have 2 clipped together on the gun, 4 on my person (although I'll admit, they can be a pain since most pouches are designed for STANAG mags). Stuff like this is going to encourage people to get jackets and harnesses which suit their equipment better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

takes longer to wind a hi cap then to put in a mid, glad that my m4 i caps only need 1 wind, that said i havent got around to buying mids and and i enjoyed the game a lot the day i did use them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Thread needs a poll please.

I use mids only now, can't stand;

rattling,
    winding,
    NOT reloading.

And this argument that a hi-cap has more bbs ready to fire, uh, usually not.
    You'll get 30-50 shots then you have to wind, thats not cool, I never saw rambo fiddling with his mag mid gun fight.
    My mids have 100 bbs ready to go instantly, and when I'm out, i pop in a new one, its fun, beats the sh1t out of the index finger shuffle at the base of the mag.

Also, I like to fill my vest realistically, ak hi-caps hold 500bb each, I'd have 4000 rounds, not ready to go mind, ready to wind and wind and wind....

One thing though, there isnt enough time often given to reload mids, forcing alot of players to fall back on a makes-baby-jesus-cry-cap.

Advertisement