Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using FTV card to subscribe to Setanta Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭qhe0i9zvfgdou8

watty wrote: »
    @ sudsandsurf

Also you can't advertise here.

Obviously the card belongs to NDS, so you can't sell it. You have to give it back if they ask. You do own the digibox.

Someone else using it till Sky / NDS ask for it back is a greyer area.

Sorry wasn't meant as advertisement. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

cheers for the info. i'm very confussled tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    i had this problem lately. Renting a house and have the main HD box in the sitting room and a 2nd standard box in the kitchen. Like you, i just wanted a 2nd card/account and like you, they insisted i'd need to run phone lines and get full multiroom. I ended up talking to customer service where the guy confirmed I COULD get a '2nd hand contract' - he told me to put it in my gf's name and organise it through an independent installer - so that's exactly what i did and we now have 2 seperate cards/accounts for the 2 boxes and have since changed the packages on both without problems.

Just to finalise this. I can only get a separate viewing card for the spare box to use for Setanta Ireland sub by getting a 2nd sub with Sky,subscribing for a year (€21)a month and €19.99 pm for Setanta.It wud cost me €40.99 pm for a year in total thereafter €19.99 pm.

If I got multiroom it would cost me €33.99 pm indefinately plus cost of getting phone line done. If I could just get the card activated and pay Setanta it wud cost €19.99 pm indefinately. As it stands unless someone can tell me another way of getting an Irish viewing card legally I am snookered.

Surely this is a case for a watchdog- do we have one in Ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can you sub to multiroom for just 1 month (just cancel after 1 month) and then use the card for setanta?

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Can you sub to multiroom for just 1 month (just cancel after 1 month) and then use the card for setanta?

Perhaps,although would have to do the phone lines etc...However,if it was definate that the card could be used as you say it wud be worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Irish Consumer Protection? :(

The various Quangos are to ensure even competion and decent sized pie slices for the Corporates. The Consumer votes are not deemed to be linked to Consumer issues.

Sky will cancel the Multiroom after one month if the phone line doesn't work :)

And when they cancel it do you think the second card will still able to be used to subscribe to Setanta?

Of course it will. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

In my experience its more likely they will charge full price for the second card if the callback fails.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement

Yes, that's what they will try to do 1st.

But you then may be able to cancel since the agreement was for mirror sub?

Yes, that's what they will try to do 1st.

But you then may be able to cancel since the agreement was for mirror sub?

Spoke to Sky Ireland (0818)719852 anonomously. They say multiroom would be 12month sub. and whenever I cancel the 2nd card would be deactivated and would not be able to be used to subscribe to Setanta. Ah well...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

No harm contacting Conor Pope who does the Pricewatch column in the Irish Times. He might be able to shame Setanta into action.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/pricewatch/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Excellent idea, Conor is well versed on satellite and Tv issues

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

so got me a 2nd hand sky box and acquired a british free to view sky card.

I tried to subscribe to setanta and was told that my card needs to match my address or they can't subscribe me.

Looks like i can't get setanta.:(

Did you try online?

Did you try online?

yep...kept refusing to go through and asking me to check the telephone and card number details.

Looks like i need an irish or english card but also know the address of the account that the card was with.

on the plus side at least i can watch channel 5 now....lol

Just an update on my experiences trying to get Setanta which I documented during this thread! I have finally given up the ghost on subscribing to them.I will just reactivate Skysports before the Man Utd-Liverpool game and that will do me!

I have read many horror stories about desubscribing from Setanta on Digitalspy and many punters reckon they will end up on BBC Watchdog soon enough! Many reckon getting a divorce from the missus would be an easier process so maybe I am safer without it!

Unless they change their operating methods to mirror those of Sky!

Sky can also be a pain in the hole when trying to unsubscribe. Swings and roundabouts. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Sky aren't too difficult if you say you are moving abroad. The problem is them continuing to take money from your account and waiting weeks to get it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭s_gr

Anyone know the number to call setanta if i dont have a card and require one. Have call them twice but keep being told i need to have a sky card, they dont seem to understand i need a card. Anyone experience this?

s_gr wrote: »
    Anyone know the number to call setanta if i dont have a card and require one. Have call them twice but keep being told i need to have a sky card, they dont seem to understand i need a card. Anyone experience this?
    Read the last 3 pages of this thread.

Read the last 3 pages of this thread.

And if you manage to get a card, please let me know the name and number of the amazing person you will have dealt with!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

RuggieBear wrote: »
    so got me a 2nd hand sky box and acquired a british free to view sky card.

I tried to subscribe to setanta and was told that my card needs to match my address or they can't subscribe me.

Looks like i can't get setanta.:(

Thats gas now, my sky FTV card I am using to subscribe to Setanta is not registered to my home address in Ireland. And that is the address i gave to set up DD from.

got setanta!

going to watch the rugby now!!! will explain later if anyone could be bothered reading!:D

got setanta!

going to watch the rugby now!!! will explain later if anyone could be bothered reading!:D

Come on RuggieBear fill us in.

had my in laws order a fta card to their address in the uk and then had them send it to me and i was able to use their address to reg with setanta

Why do you want the UK card when you actually get more on the Irish Package ?

had my in laws order a fta card to their address in the uk and then had them send it to me and i was able to use their address to reg with setanta

I'm confused RuggieBear were you able to get the Irish version of Setanta using a UK address and was the bank address on yor direct debit not a problem. Just curious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Was the card activated before you got it?

Advertisement