Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using FTV card to subscribe to Setanta Ireland

Options
  • 06-08-2008 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Guys, I have an expired UK Sky viewing card. Is it possible to set up a Setanta UK account using this by doing one or both of these things.

1. Give them my Irish credit card, digibox serial number...?

2.As above and also giving them my address (in Ireland)?

3.As above and giving them a UK address instead.

Reason I am considering this is to give me an alternative football viewing option on my second digibox as the main box is being used for viewing other programmes most of the time.This would be cheaper than multiroom as I wud not have to bother with phoneline etc...

any advice/experiences appreciated...cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Hi Guys. I am probably going to subscribe to Setanta Ireland. 3 mths 9.99 plus 10 but I am going to use a spare expired sky uk sub card I have so I can use the second digibox mainly for watching. Just wondering, if I use that card will it then be like an ex Irish sub card instead...thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,408 ✭✭✭irishgeo

not sure they will allow you to use a uk card to get setanta ireland.

I rang them already on this.They said no prob.Basically its only a viewing card and it then will go in my name and it also saves them sending out a card specially for me. I am thinking the epg will then go irish instead of uk which I was trying to clarify.

Actually, I have just read some other threads which I hadnt noticed were there about this. Now I am not sure whether I will need a new card or not to ensure I get the Irish version of Setanta.

Does anyone know now if a ex sub UK card,which I have can receive the proper Setanta Ireland signal etc and not just the UK version...or do I need them to send me a new card??

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

They will need to send you a card.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Threads merged.

Widescreen, I'd appreciate if you would stop titling threads in all capitals. Thanks.

byte wrote: »
    Threads merged.

Widescreen, I'd appreciate if you would stop titling threads in all capitals. Thanks.

No prob will do:-)

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    They will need to send you a card.

Thanks. Just have to finally decide whether to get it this morning. Last time I got a Setanta discount price a year ago ,they billed me for the full price first and then I had to have a long phone call to get that resolved.They did resolve it though and there is an awful lot of good sport on their channels these days.

thanks for clarification on cards...

Hi.Phoned Setanta to subscribe and use my spare digibox.

They were saying the existing ex UK sub card would work. I said according to my info a new card was needed. To clarify finally I said, let me ring Sky!

This is what Sky said. They said I could only get Setanta on my main active viewing card. I could not use the old card, nor could I even get a new card to be used exclusively in the spare digibox. To view Setanta exclusively on 2nd digibox they said I would have to get multi room including all the other channels I have in my package- plus phone connections! The woman I spoke to checked carefully but there was no other alternative she said.

I was staggered. All I want is to watch some sport,mainly in the kitchen, now and again.

Anyone got any further advice/suggestion...

I have a feeling Sky are talking BS to get you to take out multiroom, though that's just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    I have a feeling Sky are talking BS to get you to take out multiroom, though that's just my opinion.

Yes so do I but there was not getting past her whatsover. They said if the ex Sub card was used they could not send the signal to it as it would not show the correct address.

I am really frustrated here. There is no point in my getting Setanta on the main sky card as I will not see anywhere near enough programmes then..

Final Update on this issue folks- unless someone else comes up with a miracle!

Final word from Sky- Must be your own subscription viewing card that Setanta goes onto.Only way to watch in other room is to get multiroom and have both boxes connected by phoneline.

Final word from Setanta-They CANNOT send out Sky viewing cards ONLY Freeview cards(no use to us). Only way to get service on Satellite from Setanta is via your main viewing card,uk ex sub cards or any card registered in someone elses name are a non runner.

Ah well, I was happy to get Setanta,pay them the money etc, but now unless I decide to run phone cables all over the place and pay nearly a double sub price(including multiroom sub) I wont be able to get it.

All for the sake of a viewing card and not being trusted by Sky not to run down to the local pub with the box everytime a match is on!

Widescreen wrote: »
    Final word from Setanta-They CANNOT send out Sky viewing cards ONLY Freeview cards(no use to us). Only way to get service on Satellite from Setanta is via your main viewing card,uk ex sub cards or any card registered in someone elses name are a non runner.

That is bull****. Setanta are more than capable of sending out a viewing card for the Irish service.

Read this thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133193

That is bull****. Setanta are more than capable of sending out a viewing card for the Irish service.

Read this thread, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055133193

Glad to hear it is bull. It gives me hope. But how many more times do I have to ring before I get someone who can do this. They were adamant on the phone yesterday they could not do it. Maybe if you don't already have an account with sky its possible , but if you already have a viewing card they wont issue another??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Ring Setanta and tell them you have no viewing card whatsoever and you do not want to subscribe to sky. They will send out a viewing card then.

If they still fail to do so ask for a supervisor.

If they still fail to do so ask for a supervisor.

Thanks. gonna ring a Supervisor and be up front that I want a separate sub on a new card. Dont want to risk giving them all my details and then Sky suddenly seeing I have a normal viewing card which they may insist on sending the signal to instead.

Do not ring sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,770 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

i had this problem lately. Renting a house and have the main HD box in the sitting room and a 2nd standard box in the kitchen. Like you, i just wanted a 2nd card/account and like you, they insisted i'd need to run phone lines and get full multiroom. I ended up talking to customer service where the guy confirmed I COULD get a '2nd hand contract' - he told me to put it in my gf's name and organise it through an independent installer - so that's exactly what i did and we now have 2 seperate cards/accounts for the 2 boxes and have since changed the packages on both without problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

And under the Data Protection Act, Setanta may not give your personal details to Sky. Only the card ID to enable it.

• Advertisement

watty wrote: »
    And under the Data Protection Act, Setanta may not give your personal details to Sky. Only the card ID to enable it.
    Correct, that is why I said do not call sky under any circumstances.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Probably best not to mention that you have Sky subscription in another room either.

Lads, I appreciate the assistance, but unfortunately I have now given up trying to get Setanta on the second box and I will definately not get it on my main digibox it would be a waste of money as would not see enough progs...

I rang them again yesterday afternoon, spoke to a supervisor etc(on phone for half hour)....They eventually said under no circumstances do they send satellite cards out, Sky can only do that.Only freeview cards. never seen such hassle to get a few channels-legally!! I wont bother now unless someone can actually provide a name and contact in Setanta who can send me a card....

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    i had this problem lately. Renting a house and have the main HD box in the sitting room and a 2nd standard box in the kitchen. Like you, i just wanted a 2nd card/account and like you, they insisted i'd need to run phone lines and get full multiroom. I ended up talking to customer service where the guy confirmed I COULD get a '2nd hand contract' - he told me to put it in my gf's name and organise it through an independent installer - so that's exactly what i did and we now have 2 seperate cards/accounts for the 2 boxes and have since changed the packages on both without problems.

So if I get my wife to subscribe,using her mothers address(they only have cable)that could be the answer? but if she rings Setanta will they send her a card without needing to subscribe to Sky? If we have to subscribe to Sky again first it is a non runner. ..please clarify...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Are you ringing IRISH sales or UK sales?

watty wrote: »
    Are you ringing IRISH sales or UK sales?

Hi I have been ringing 0818 20 30 40

Final Update on this folks.

Rang both Setanta and Sky- both as new customer and then existing customer on separate calls.

Basically they reconfirmed only options as follows.

1.New customer-Sky and Setanta both say I must get the viewing card from Sky(Setanta cannot get me one). Sky say I must subscribe to the minimum package as a new customer for a year! That means for first year Setanta would be €21x 12= €252 + €19.99x 12= €238.98 =€490.98 . Then just Setanta sub after that!

2.Existing customer-to view independently on a 2nd box Sky insist multi room is the only way...Get Setanta now using my €9.99 a month for 3 months plus €10 conn fee and €19.99 thereafter. plus €15 multirroom cost plus €2.99 a month for Setanta on 2nd box. First year cost -Setanta €219.91 Multiroom €215.88
    = Total €435.79 cost thereafter €455.76

That is crazy, considering if they just gave me a viewing card for spare box I would happily(well almost happily!)pay the €239.88 per year for the service.

I just want Setanta on my 2nd digibox only(NOT my main box as well) and am willing to pay the sub. Is there someone out there that can find a way I can do this!! Maybe what is happening to me is against the trading laws?? andway if you manage please let me have the name and number of the person who can do this in Sky/Setanta!!

There is absolutely no need to subscribe to sky. I don't know why setanta won't send you a card.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    There is absolutely no need to subscribe to sky. I don't know why setanta won't send you a card.

Me neither.I am mystified, I thought they wanted subscribers....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Joseph Kuhr

Widescreen wrote: »
    Me neither.I am mystified, I thought they wanted subscribers....

Prob becuse its on the Sky EPG.

Have you tried getting a UK FTA card? you can buy them online, I got mine for €40 about 2 years ago and gives me regular english channels (UTV, BBC, Ch4 etc) and all the free channels on the EPG setup on a 2nd box. So in therory you just give Setanta that viewing card number.....

Advertisement