Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you call your period?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Why is it that of all the things in life it seems to be the genitalia & sex organs and things pertaining to them that have the widest variety of euphemisms? Only one thing on folks minds you'd swear....:P

Know an American co-worker absolutely loved the phrase "up on bricks" for a girl's period, thought it was hilarious.
    Can't say I can remember female friends using euphemisms when discussing it around me, only made me feel out of place not embaressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I remember seeing a Jo Brand sketch a right few years ago where she went through some names for it: Arsenal are playing at home, the painters are in, and she said her personal favourite was "I have vast quantities of blood leaking from my vagina"...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I usually just say I'm being a girl.

I was messing a few months back and told my boyfriend in a kind of Deirdre O'Kane voice I was at that stage of my "menstrual cycle". He now does a little singing minstrel impression whenever I have my period :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Attracting the sharks..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

no name at all for it, althoguh right now it would be the never ending story...:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I call it my period, but I call the pains the Ladycramps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭MissyKiki

Eeek! you're all so friendly in here! :)
    Jam week for me...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

"On the rag" or "Shark Week".

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

hardware shop. when its open it's like a fúcking pliers ripping my insides out so but thats only what i say if it's giving me awful grief.

other then that, tis my period. period.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I have a friend who makes a point of telling me she's 'bleeding like a cut fish' when she's on.

Oh and once I got a text from a female friend saying she was 'gushing like someone on the Jeremy Kyle', followed by another one saying 'sry, wrong number'. I think she was joking.

As you can tell, I move in pretty sophisticated circles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Flo has come to town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Im surfin' the crimson wave :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Full stop
    Sometimes "dot" if I'm talking someone through entering a web address...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Abigayle wrote: »
    Im surfin' the crimson wave :pac:

As sick as that is... I lol'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

stinking mess

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I call it my period, or "that time of the month" if I think the context requires delicacy.

On the rare occasion that I get cramps I am fond of announcing "My womb is at me!"; I lived in a house with a couple of very crampy girls a few years back, and it caught on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

I call it "my full stop" ..... Dont know why...... Think my boyfriend came up with the name and it just stuck :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

A medical emergency... but then I am a guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Rational Thinking's monthly exodus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

careful_now.jpg

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Jesus some of the names that popped up in this thread are freakin disgusting :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

Riding the red river

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭trio

I just say my period. When I was younger I used stupid names because I felt awkward about it, but now I don't give a fupp.

I have friends though who STILL insist on using stupid names for it well into their 30's. "My flowers" etc. Makes me cringe a bit at this age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

I call it my Full-Stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭niavie

painters are in or just plain old period

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I hate the word period. I call it the bloodening, Kinda crappy, I need to come up with something better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I hate that the default position for the female body is pregnant. Every month you're wasting all this energy building up a lining in the womb and.....oh how disappointing, says your body, now I'll have to flush it all out because I'm not pregnant. Better luck next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Malari wrote: »
    I hate that the default position for the female body is pregnant. Every month you're wasting all this energy building up a lining in the womb and.....oh how disappointing, says your body, now I'll have to flush it all out because I'm not pregnant. Better luck next month!
    True enough, there are a few parts of my body I view as a similar waste of nutrients. As regards periods I have often wondered why we evolved such that womens' bodies have them, why throw away all those cells after working to grow them?:confused: But then there are quite a few of evolutions results I wonder over at times...

As to the calling it "your flowers" that some have posted, does that mean these people who use that phrase think periods stop permanently after sex, since once you lose your virginity you've been deflowered?:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

call it my period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

lol at the theory farohar...

and yeahhh! bastards! as someone who suffered quite badly with anaemia and hypoglycemia for a good while, why the **** didnt my body kick in and stop throwing all that precious blood out of my system?!

apparently, according to my doctor, i had less oestrogen in my body than most men. yet still... period kept happening... WHY?!

Advertisement