Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berget 7 - 2009

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Just for info, I used Ultrathon insect repellent cream. I didn't get any insect bites at all. It lasts 12 hours, works with camo cream and doesn't sweat off. Great stuff, highly recommended.

Mind you, I also had my uniform treated with permethrin, so anything that landed on me got too sick to bite & died soon after.

The "natural" products that many people wear (with citronella etc) work for only an hour or two and need to be reapplied frequently.

BTW, research has shown that anything containing more than 50% DEET doesn't work any better and is liable to cause skin irritation. Don't waste money on anything claiming 100% DEET. More is not always better; only minute quantities are needed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Duly noted ozcam - you're a mine of information!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

OzCam wrote: »
    Mind you, I also had my uniform treated with permethrin, so anything that landed on me got too sick to bite & died soon after.

How did you go about doing this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Vintz

Permethrin, that's a great way to slowly kill yourself by means of thyroid cancer. Not to mention being fatal to cats, dogs and fish...

It's technically more an insecticide than insect repellent.

Lovely stuff altogether...

But having said that, given the choice of being eaten alive like during "The Plague of Migies" or potential health problems through over use. I think I'll opt for the latter thank you very much! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭moggser

Vintz wrote: »
    Permethrin, that's a great way to slowly kill yourself by means of thyroid cancer. Not to mention being fatal to cats, dogs and fish...:P

well that would explain why he couldnt get a bird in a pet shop:):)

• Advertisement

Be careful now , by last count , Ozcam was the only one of us to even get close.

( he does so enjoy japanese food ) ;)

horgan_p wrote: »
    Be careful now , by last count , Ozcam was the only one of us to even get close.

to the dead ones by the sounds of it ha ha

nope the live ones actually , now i've said enough. if ozcam wants to tell more , thats his perogative ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

horgan_p wrote: »
    nope the live ones actually , now i've said enough. if ozcam wants to tell more , thats his perogative ;)

Didnt passion fingers.... o lols the memories

Me,paul and the lads forming that stereotypical possy you see at a party, just being pass remarkable about everyone

"the state of his uniform, ****ing man slut"

lols

• Registered Users Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭scanlant

TheDoc wrote: »
    Didnt passion fingers.... o lols the memories

Me,paul and the lads forming that stereotypical possy you see at a party, just being pass remarkable about everyone

"the state of his uniform, ****ing man slut"

lols

yeah, then you chastising us

"lads, don't ALL look at the same time......GOD!!!"

btw, was I one of two sober Irishmen that night, or were there more?

I'm kinda glad I didn't drink that stuff that the Poles had, looked like awful stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Looked awful tasted like apple pie! :D

Permethrin is a synthetic version of Pyrethrin, a chemical secreted by the Chrysanthemum flower as a defence against sap-sucking insects. It's highly toxic to cats, fish and insects. In low doses it's considered to be well tolerated by dogs and humans. It's the active ingredient in flea treatments for dogs. As long as you don't ingest it you'll be fine as it is deactivated on contact with skin.

In the USA Permethrin is considered very safe, and products like Duranon are available to treat clothing to reduce the effects of biting insects. These are typically available as a soak-in which will last for up to 50 washes, or a spray-on which lasts for 6 washes or so. The new US Army Combat Uniform comes pre-soaked.

In Europe, Permethrin is one of the thousands of chemicals being phased out, some with decades of non-problematical use, because no-one's done the safety testing and documentation for them. I was unable to find any supplier of Duranon over here, and US websites won't ship it.

However, Lifesystems make a mosquito net soak treatment called EX8, which is very similar. It's a 1.2% concentration. I used that to soak my uniform. Please Note: this is an off-label use of the product and I do not recommend it to anyone else. Use at your own risk.

The uniform is left smelling like chrysanthemums for a few days afterwards, but it's not bad at all.

Like lots of other things which are possibly carcinogenic (vodka, for example) it's all about the dosage and duration. You can't eliminate all risks, most of the time it's about moving them around or striking a balance between them. I decided that I'd rather take a very small risk with the permethrin treatment than being bitten by ticks and catching some disease that way. Also, I treated only the outer clothing, not underwear or socks, so skin contact is minimised. Everyone has their own idea of acceptable risk, so you might make a different decision.

If anyone knows any more about this area, please chip in.

scanlant wrote: »

I'm kinda glad I didn't drink that stuff that the Poles had, looked like awful stuff

It made me mark and ozzie gods for an hour......and plebs for a day....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

But what an hour it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭plastic_axe

for those who were wondering (because i know i was)...

the rifle being used by the soldiers on the stealth ship is called the Ak 5.
    its a derivative of the FN FNC made for the "more rugged" swedish needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

I think I just love LARP....does that make me gay? :)

No. Suprisingly no.

Mind you ... you did have a head start. ;)
    I would defo love to see more of that **** here at home, even saluting my superiors over there at times just gave me a lil kick, total imersion....surprised I didnt give an order to pillage some local town in fairness >:D

So would I, trouble is getting a lot of people to get out of the comfort zone and into the idea of "assuming" the role. :(

[quote=Hivemind187;61204058

So would I, trouble is getting a lot of people to get out of the comfort zone and into the idea of "assuming" the role. :([/quote]

to assume something usually means to make a ass out o you and me

so thats why some folk wont try it
    fraid o lookin goofy so on so forth, but we get half way there by dressing up
    like soldiers anyway so

may as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Permethrin is a synthetic version of Pyrethrin, a chemical secreted by the Chrysanthemum flower as a defence against sap-sucking insects. It's highly toxic to cats, fish and insects. In low doses it's considered to be well tolerated by dogs and humans. It's the active ingredient in flea treatments for dogs.

In the USA Permethrin is considered very safe, and products like Duranon are available to treat clothing to reduce the effects of biting insects. These are typically available as a soak-in which will last for up to 50 washes, or a spray-on which lasts for 6 washes or so. The new US Army Combat Uniform comes pre-soaked.

In Europe, Permethrin is one of the thousands of chemicals being phased out, some with decades of non-problematical use, because no-one's done the safety testing and documentation for them. I was unable to find any supplier of Duranon over here, and US websites won't ship it.

However, Lifesystems make a mosquito net soak treatment called EX8, which is very similar. It's the same kind of concentration (IIRC, 3%). I used that to soak my uniform. Please Note: this is an off-label use of the product and I do not recommend it to anyone else. Use at your own risk.

The uniform is left smelling like chrysanthemums for a few days afterwards, but it's not bad at all.

Like lots of other things which are possibly carcinogenic (vodka, for example) it's all about the dosage and exposure. You can't eliminate all risks, most of the time it's about moving them around or striking a balance between them. I decided that I'd rather take a very small risk with the permethrin treatment than being bitten by ticks and catching some disease that way. Also, I treated only the outer clothing, not underwear or socks, so skin contact is minimised. Everyone has their own idea of acceptable risk, so you might make a different decision.

If anyone knows any more about this area, please chip in.

You could just use, some thing as, TWO IN ONE DRY OIL SPRAY BY AVON - MOISURISES AND REPELLS INSECTS, as used by the ***.

hrta wrote: »
    You could just use, some thing as, TWO IN ONE DRY OIL SPRAY BY AVON - MOISURISES AND REPELLS INSECTS, as used by the ***.

Yep, the sister-in-law has some on order for me. Just waiting for the Avon Lady to go ding dong.

The stuff works great, the only reason the *** don't want anyone to know they use it is because it'll spoil their reputations as hard men. ;)

Have to admit I'd say for alot of people it light feel goofy or uncomfortable, and maybe some people might not like taking orders etc

It definatly makes games more interesting and just brings more and more realism, and at the end of the day thats what we are after, without actually being shot.

Cause you know how we are all immature and sad losers :rolleyes:

Considering we are more then 3/4 of the way to actual LARP in fairness, I for one would support anything that promotes larp in milsim,

Actual HRTa did it back in that Rules of Engagement ( original milsim) game, where a couple of hawks and friends were inserted into a heavily occupied town etc, where there was defo larp.

I'll never forget moggy in his biggest " I'm not a terrorist honest, but you go home american pig!" voice :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Yep, the sister-in-law has some on order for me. Just waiting for the Avon Lady to go ding dong.

Don't lie, you have your own Avon account don't you :p:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Does anyone happen to have anything even remotely resembling a group photo from Berget? I'd need this today, to go into a publication.

Cheers,

Advertisement