Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodlawn House - most haunted house in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

I'm seeking permission for a photoshoot in there...I think I have an idea who owns it (I have eyes and ears out that way :) ) and will keep you chaps posted...with the owner's consent. I'm not breaching privacy or anything of that ilk. I also heard it's on the way to being restored. About time! I love the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ros91

i hate to say this but as someone who is in mountbellew gone to school there and a best friend of a neighbour of the house, mounbellew is roughly 7km from the station, that woodlawn house's hauntedness is nothin but myth, the house was occupyed alot recently than was said as on of my friend great-aunt worked there as a scullery maid, and there are desendants of lord ashtown still alive. woodlawn house is always being broken into by kids and has been fitted with an eircom security alarm that is impossible to aviod. i will admit that it is creepy looking but many kids and friends of my own go camping there with no results. and the nearest town is roughly 5mins drive

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

If done up as a hotel, it would look fab tho!
    Would love to investigate it.
    WoodlawnHouseAdvertisment.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ros91

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    If done up as a hotel, it would look fab tho!

oh it would look fab no doubt, as far as ive heard a nursing home bought it. i would but it tomorow if i could

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SpinIt

So anyway folks was in there last sunday for about 2 hours.
    Roughly 50 people there, doors open acess all areas job.
    House is in a bad state in parts.
    Was up on the roof too which was cool
    Loads and loads of grafitti, some back as far as early 90's
    Anyone else there that day?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ravencreaven

Hey beekally, i was just wondering how did u find the house cause me and a few friends of mine are thinking about going into the house to have a look around, if u can get back to me as soon as u can it would be helpful

Thanks again
    ravencreaven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

AI wrote: »
    Also documented this place!

http://www.abandonedireland.com/wl.html

When I was in the house taking the pics two groups of people walked up to the house to have a nose around. I duly obliged in making scary ghost noises and banging on the shutters. Both groups ran off ;)

The basement of the house is pretty dark and creepy, I didn't feel too comfortable down by the hook room but the rest of the house seemed nice enough.

For a scare rating: I probably would spend the night in this place alone.. sorry no ghosts here.

By the way if anybody is thinking about going for a look, the place is private property and is watched by the locals who will call up the security guy if ye are spotted
    I really enjoyed this website; some excellent photography on it. Check out the virtual reality picture of Woodlawn, its like a video game, but as I could find no weapons in there, I decided to exit before the ghouls appeared.:D
    There is another place documented on the website www.abandonedireland.com called "The Spirit House" in Co Wicklow which I think people here will get a kick out of seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

recedite wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this website; some excellent photography on it. Check out the virtual reality picture of Woodlawn, its like a video game, but as I could find no weapons in there, I decided to exit before the ghouls appeared.:D
    There is another place documented on the website www.abandonedireland.com called "The Spirit House" in Co Wicklow which I think people here will get a kick out of seeing.

Great website, thanks for sharing.
    Some excellent pictures on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

is it still possible to gain access to the inside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

We took a trip down to Woodlawn at the weekend now pants twas too dark to even figure out where the house was but I didnt realise it was on such a big estate it seems to be really pretty. I presume it is free for people to walk around as it has signs to tell you about the estate.. We are going to head down again some day just to even walk around the grounds, word of warning though to anyone who would be heading down there is this spot with a white bridge on it do not whatever you do drive over this bridge we stopped at the end of it and walked over and the bridge is ready to collapse big hole on the right hand side so be taire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭ronan keane

Does anyone know the owner I'd love to see if we could rent it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dotty2013

As a person who lives in Woodlawn I know a bit here and there about the house. The current owner is trying the best to restore the roof and upstairs floors in order to make the house safe. As for it been haunted, I wouldn't say it was although I still wouldn't go near the place at night. Myself and my friends are guilty of scaring people away a few nights we've heard people up there by screaming, making noises etc. At the moment it's got camera's and fences surrounding the house itself to keep people away and if the camera goes off more than a few times security will be there within a few minutes. But you can still walk along the road and have a good look around the place. It wouldn't be available for renting due to the state it's in at the moment but hopefully if all goes well things will get better and Woodlawn House can be restored to it's natural beauty.

P.S. If you do end up down there please stay as far away from the White Bridge as possible, like Milly33 said, it's close to collapsing and it's very dangerous and nobody in the area goes near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I know it was asked a few years ago, but there is the video "the twilight Hour" it's interesting but very dramatised.

I have done countless video diaries of castles and old buildings and always alone. I am not so much interested in paranormal but more the history and design.

I rarely if ever go at night and always with owners permission. I'm talking buildings that aren't well known and just sit out in the middle of farms etc, places you only may catch a glimpse of from the road if you didn't know they were there. Ireland's history is fascinating and in return for permission from the owners, I give them a copy of the video and all research into the buildings history. Very few owners actually know a lot about buildings on their land, it would appear.

There was only one time, it was a bright summers afternoon and I was gaining entry to a castle.It was a bit of a struggle to get into but once in side, my breathing got heavy. The hair on the back of my neck stood up. I had seen a hundred castles like it but could not shake the oppressive feeling.

I was determined to finish the video and even in the play back you could tell I did not want to be there. The castle sits on a graveyard as many of them do and there was nothing untoward in it's history, nothing I could find anyway.

Certainly would not be in a rush to get back there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Woodlawn1998

BeeKally wrote: »
    Guys I need to talk to somebody

We saw the spooky Woodlawn house video on youtube and decided to go and check it out for ourselves. We were up there on Friday evening and got very freaked out by the whole thing. Woodlawn is a scary old ruined mansion house out in the middle of nowhere 40 odd miles or something from Galway, nobody has lived there since the last owner shot himself in 1978.

It was getting a bit dark as we were walking up to the place, we went round the back and got in through a window. It was creepy as hell in that place, as soon as we went in through a couple of rooms we started hearing this banging on the ceiling from one of the rooms upstairs, we went on down this corridor and my friend reckoned he saw something creeping around in the shadows behind us, it was so dark we could hardly see anything but we kept on walking forward not wanting to run into whatever it was behind us, till suddenly we heard what sounded like footsteps running at us faster and faster then something in front of us was crying and screaming. We got the hell out as fast as we could, I’ve never been so terrified before. Just as we were running back down to the car a security patrol turned up so we had to hide in some bushes. Me and my mate were both looking back up at the house and we both swear we saw something sinister up on the roof of the house looking down at us. We are both trying to put an explanation behind what happened but what we know what we heard and what we saw

Has anybody else been to look at Woodlawn? Does anybody know what we might have ran into in that house?

Lads my grandfather used to own woodlawn and i ws in there when i was younger its definetly not haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bophead

Hi guys, a friend of mine who lives not too far away from woodlawn house, told me that the house was getting renovated and whilst it was getting renovated the builders witnessed paranormal activity i.e footsteps, screaming and tools and the radio got vandalised so they refused to continue with the renovations... the same friend also told me that him and a group of friends went to the house one evening, they didnt experience any paranormal activity but when they returned to their car they were greeted by four slashed tyres and the local guards!!! the same friend im talking about is the type of person who would have to see somthing to believe it and would be very optimistic in life, so I really dont believe that he would be easily persuaded into passing these stories on unless he truly believed them himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭oceanman

but in fairness the four slashed tyres could have been done by anybody!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

or a ghost with a pen-knife:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

or the guards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭celica00

any news on this? is the house renovated now or still not used etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭NicoleL88

Just to let ye know, there's a new tv show starting next year called Haunted Ireland and in the pilot episode the team will be going to Woodlawn with 6 contestants... I may or may not be one of them...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lolimonzy

Woodlawn House is very dear to me...i have a good friendship with the 8th Lord Ashtown Roderick Trench and have spent many days and nights around this house alone with a camera and never saw or heard anything..I also had the honour of interviewing the last remaining servant of woodlawn house who has since passed away..This lovely lady laughed at the mention of it being haunted back in 2003,she said there is no reason why it would be.. She claimed that all servants and tenants of woodlawn were treated very well by the Ashtowns.And Derek Le Poer Trench who was the last man to live in this house in the 70S was said to have shot himself at woodlawn house grounds,,again not true.I am currently undergoing a new big project at Woodlawn house...if a little ghosty pops out at me,il be sure to eat my words and let you know..but i am a firm believer that spirits are everywhere,including a brand new house ...If a persons death is sudden or tragic,the spirit may never rest and if you look for them and piss them off enough,they ll appear,,not only in old mansions like Woodlawn.
    Woodlawn is a nice village with some wonderful people and a good tight community,this stuff does upset them ...claiming this house is MOST HAUNTED in ireland?? give over guys..its not...or maybe just the spirits like me..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Interesting that your username is similar to 'Lola Montez', famously associated with Castle Oliver in Limerick - owned by the Trench family who also owned... Woodlawn House!!

Pure coincidence I assume :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 demondrive

I was at Woodlawn House in Galway today taking photographs for a project. It is a out in the middle of a sparsely populated area. I have been around the whole country taking images of houses and this house is one of the few houses still in good condition.A local said the Lead from the roof was stolen a few weeks ago .She also says that she would to hear the alarm go of at night.The whole vicinity is under constant watch with 24 hour CCTV. Usually the alarm would be caused by local kids trying to scare themselves.I have heard the stories that the house was/is haunted.The house is amazing but i got an unsettling feeling while there. I think its all the stories that i have heard playing tricks on me..... .The grey and dirty white walls of the outer walls feels cold and eerie. I photographed the house during the day so cant comment on ghosts/hook room.etc. Its good to see the owner trying to keep the rain out of the house. As i said i have been to a lot of derelict houses and this one is in my top 3.Well worth a visit. ... With permission

• Registered Users Posts: 15,818 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

demondrive wrote: »
    I was at Woodlawn House in Galway today taking photographs for a project. It is a out in the middle of a sparsely populated area. I have been around the whole country taking images of houses and this house is one of the few houses still in good condition.A local said the Lead from the roof was stolen a few weeks ago .She also says that she would to hear the alarm go of at night.The whole vicinity is under constant watch with 24 hour CCTV. Usually the alarm would be caused by local kids trying to scare themselves.I have heard the stories that the house was/is haunted.The house is amazing but i got an unsettling feeling while there. I think its all the stories that i have heard playing tricks on me..... .The grey and dirty white walls of the outer walls feels cold and eerie. I photographed the house during the day so cant comment on ghosts/hook room.etc. Its good to see the owner trying to keep the rain out of the house. As i said i have been to a lot of derelict houses and this one is in my top 3.Well worth a visit. ... With permission

Make you wonder how a gang can strip lead from a roof unmolested, which is obviously time consuming and makes some noise, and someone who turns up for sh!ts and giggles has the guards waiting for them?

Make you wonder how a gang can strip lead from a roof unmolested, which is obviously time consuming and makes some noise, and someone who turns up for sh!ts and giggles has the guards waiting for them?

The gang disabled the cameras for a few hours. Drunk kids wouldn't know how !!

demondrive wrote: »
    The gang disabled the cameras for a few hours. Drunk kids wouldn't know how !!

And no neighbours to report a large van with several gentlemen armed with ladders and tools pulling up?

And no neighbours to report a large van with several gentlemen armed with ladders and tools pulling up?

That's what the neighboor told me . Have you ever been there ? It's a very isolated area.if I saw a van next door to my house I probably would not take notice either. I assume when men where up there and no alarm was going off people just took no notice.

Yes, they probably had their homework done. Fcukers like that usually do, and looked the part as 'workmen' no doubt.

Places like that can't be left in peace, if it isn't those dregs of society it's little scrotes with aerosol cans smashing windows.

Yes, they probably had their homework done. Fcukers like that usually do, and looked the part as 'workmen' no doubt.

Places like that can't be left in peace, if it isn't those dregs of society it's little scrotes with aerosol cans smashing windows.

Agreed .!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sullysmum

What is a hook room?

Advertisement