Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodlawn House - most haunted house in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Believe it or not its soon to be reconstructed as a nursing home!!!!!:eek:

Are u serious? Jaysus I won't be putting my old man in there when or if it opens. :eek: :eek:

funny-photos-01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whoopdeedoo

Ya apparantly! Other people are saying its gonna be a hotel!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Hotel, huh?

Just so long as they don't call it the Sedgewick :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 amygalway

Hi guys/gals haha... Me and 3 friends of mine went to a haunted house called tyrone house in co. galway two nights ago.. I was there before but i didnt leave the car was to scared by the look of it.. A few things happend to me and my friends that night when we where there.. i saw a man standing on the roof while we where getting closer to it but i didnt think much of it and said nothing to my mates... but as my friend alan decied to go into the house on his own 4 a few mins he came out pale and he was sweating really bad and he just got over the gate and sat in the car and didnt say a word untill 30mins later after we had left the house he said *he saw an old man sitting on a chair and he was coved in blood and all the man done was smile at him* but before hand we all went in together as we said we would there was nothing in the house...so i was freaked out haha.... So i came across this "Woodlawn house" and i came across some of ur comments and replays i would love to know the where abouts of this house it looks creepy and the footsteps :eek:" OMG" i wud of passed out lmao but still i love a great scare! lol....If ye could help me and my mates thank u sooo much xx:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Its not haunted so I suggest you save your petrol.Im afraid Woodlawn House is a victim of its own appearance and aesthetics.

• Advertisement

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Its not haunted so I suggest you save your petrol.Im afraid Woodlawn House is a victim of its own appearance and aesthetics.

Amm ok thankx

amygalway wrote: »
    Amm ok thankx

Just I used to work out there.Heard a lot of stories and never experienced anything but dangerous floorboards:)

Just I used to work out there.Heard a lot of stories and never experienced anything but dangerous floorboards:)

Haha dangerous floorboads... so you've been in there?... I just think it looks Mad lmao

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭jick the rapper

BeeKally wrote: »
    Guys I need to talk to somebody

We saw the spooky Woodlawn house video on youtube and decided to go and check it out for ourselves. We were up there on Friday evening and got very freaked out by the whole thing. Woodlawn is a scary old ruined mansion house out in the middle of nowhere 40 odd miles or something from Galway, nobody has lived there since the last owner shot himself in 1978.

It was getting a bit dark as we were walking up to the place, we went round the back and got in through a window. It was creepy as hell in that place, as soon as we went in through a couple of rooms we started hearing this banging on the ceiling from one of the rooms upstairs, we went on down this corridor and my friend reckoned he saw something creeping around in the shadows behind us, it was so dark we could hardly see anything but we kept on walking forward not wanting to run into whatever it was behind us, till suddenly we heard what sounded like footsteps running at us faster and faster then something in front of us was crying and screaming. We got the hell out as fast as we could, I’ve never been so terrified before. Just as we were running back down to the car a security patrol turned up so we had to hide in some bushes. Me and my mate were both looking back up at the house and we both swear we saw something sinister up on the roof of the house looking down at us. We are both trying to put an explanation behind what happened but what we know what we heard and what we saw

Has anybody else been to look at Woodlawn? Does anybody know what we might have ran into in that house?

hysterics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

ive never been but have been to moorehall in mayo, puxley castle in castetownbere and many others around the country, not at night mind you but with tourists as a guide.

id agree that its a victim of its appearance. i looked at that website abandonedireland.com and felt there was alot of life once there, it was a pity to see a place that once would have been a hub of activity so quiet and derelict. still i guess thats life and life goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 SpinIt

I only live 10 mins from woodlawn house and I definitely believe its one of the most haunted places in Ireland!! I've heard of far too many incidents and stories to believe otherwise.
    When I was younger you could get through but now the house is locked, you can't trespass because of the security cameras.

The people who last lived there were french as far as I know.
    Its true about the man hanging himself there aswel.. Images of a man have supposedly appeared in windows in photographs of the front of the house!

The makers of the blair witch project visited it before and they were really creeped out apparantly!!!

Believe it or not its soon to be reconstructed as a nursing home!!!!!:eek:
    Where abouts ya livin, Im in ballymac myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Worms

Hi,

In 2001, I carried out a full building and photographic survey of woodlawn house. I was in every room in the entire house and measured it, photographed it and created floor plans and elevations on computer.
    During my survey, myself and my partner where standing outside the property and all of a sudden, the hairs on the back of my neck rose. I turned back and starred back at the house (was only about 25ft away) and look up at the upper windows on the right hand side of the house and noticed what appeared to be a shadow of a person like form walking across the 3 upper windows. The odd thing about this is there is no floor at that level where those windows are as the ball room was underneath the windows and that was burnt out in the last fire.
    I would like to think i imagined it, but I didnt. It really did send shivers through me and make my hair stand on end.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

so some people have had an experience with this house and the people, that have not, simply dismiss it as being haunted?. Why?.

a-k-47 wrote: »
    so some people have had an experience with this house and the people, that have not, simply dismiss it as being haunted?. Why?.

Well because they are fantastical accounts of an alleged phenomenon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 intothedark

me and the lads were up at woodlawn a few days ago. its one freaky place, even walking up the driveway the atmosphere around the place felt like something just wasn't right. we went in through the window on the right hand side. pitch black inside but we had torches. everything was ok till we got to the hook room. sounded like something was scratching around on the walls and then actually banging on the floor and roof around us. we went back out the way we came pretty damn quick!! back around the front we were looking up at the house and all three of us saw some kind of shadowy figure moving around in the upstairs windows

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

That is a beautiful house, I'd imagine the repair costs would be immense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭iamhunted

me and the lads were up at woodlawn a few days ago. its one freaky place, even walking up the driveway the atmosphere around the place felt like something just wasn't right. we went in through the window on the right hand side. pitch black inside but we had torches. everything was ok till we got to the hook room. sounded like something was scratching around on the walls and then actually banging on the floor and roof around us. we went back out the way we came pretty damn quick!! back around the front we were looking up at the house and all three of us saw some kind of shadowy figure moving around in the upstairs windows

Honestly not trying to be sarcastic or anything, but you should have least tried to find out what was making the noises. I would say anything you heard would have been rodents/animals/birds (disturbed by your movements)

The security at Woodlawn House is immense. Seriously what ever the new owners have inside must be something special, on a recent trip i saw 6 metal poles, each with at least 4 cameras.
    On one pole for example theres
    a nightvision camera,
    a camera with a motion sensor,
    a camera that can tilt/twist
    And a camera fixed on a certain point,
    Then on the inside of a wall at the back of the house theres motion sensors, like something out of a james bond film.

Oh and there renovating the gardeners house i think(its the red brick house near the road at the back)

Well it ws only a matter of time before the security was beefed up.

me and the lads were up at woodlawn a few days ago. its one freaky place, even walking up the driveway the atmosphere around the place felt like something just wasn't right. we went in through the window on the right hand side. pitch black inside but we had torches. everything was ok till we got to the hook room.

So you went in through a windows thats monitored by heaps of cameras?
    And how did you get to the hook room from inside, its blocked off

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

SpinIt wrote: »
    The security at Woodlawn House is immense. Seriously what ever the new owners have inside must be something special, on a recent trip i saw 6 metal poles, each with at least 4 cameras.
    On one pole for example theres
    a nightvision camera,
    a camera with a motion sensor,
    a camera that can tilt/twist
    And a camera fixed on a certain point,
    Then on the inside of a wall at the back of the house theres motion sensors, like something out of a james bond film.

Oh and there renovating the gardeners house i think(its the red brick house near the road at the back)

Maybe its being investigated :). wouldnt mind a look at those cameras.

For all those that have had experiences at Woodlawn, have they been all scary or negative feeling experiences, or have there been any experiences where you felt something but didnt feel compelled to start running or escape the place?

just put woodlawn into youtube and came across this, it gives mention to a documentary made on the place titled the TWILIGHT HOUR, anyone know where this could be found? i didnt have any luck on youtube with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGNnbZoE-7A

For all those that have had experiences at Woodlawn, have they been all scary or negative feeling experiences, or have there been any experiences where you felt something but didnt feel compelled to start running or escape the place?

No.Its a beautiful stately house and environs.Interesting too.The layout,buildings and area gives one a good insight of how an estate was organised, run and also of how an important focal point these estates once were.
    I used to work near the actual house and never saw anything out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

lol this thread just wont die

I corrected the information on my page about Derek Le Poer Trench, he actually killed himself at Lough Cutra and not on the Woodlawn estate.

As I said before the previous owner of the house who's family had Woodlawn since it was built told me that nothing paranormal has ever been seen or felt by him or any of his family either inside the property or around it. Nothing weird has ever happened in the house and he said that the stories about Woodlawn being haunted only started in recent years and are total fiction.

He did mention another place which was seriously haunted though!

That old youtube video is gas!! :P

By the way the new owner put in security around the whole house. He got fed up of kids going up to the place nosing around so enough was enough, the whole place got sealed up with a serious security system in place. Movement sensors, infrared cameras, 24 hour monitoring the whole lot. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

The house is in bits though...why does he need so much security cams if he doesn't live there? Im sure it'd cost as much as rebuilding the place to fix it up again

maybe its for insurance reasons that its so tightly monitored. prob be worse if he didnt secure it and some moron fell through a floor or something.

there is a similar building down in castletownbere called Puxley castle, it was believed to be a Garrison point for the British Army and was supposedly burnt to the ground by the Irish Republican Army. It used to look very haunting i have some old pics i must learn how to post, this summer i was down there and it is under reconstruction and is being restored, its amazing how life around a building can change a mood. it used to be eery and strange, now it seems very calm and welcoming

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

It was people breaking into Woodlawn that caused the fire in the ballroom and the back corridor. The place would probably be in much better condition if it wasn't for those eejts. I'm not at all surprised ya man has put in decent security.

Yep Puxley castle used to be an amazing place! But last time I was there the hotel conversion was almost complete, supposed to be opening Summer 2010 according to their website - http://www.capelladunboycastle.com/

AI wrote: »
    The place would probably be in much better condition if it wasn't for those eejts. I'm not at all surprised ya man has put in decent security.

Exactly, Anyone know how id go about getting inside with the owners permission, i.e who to contact,
    Theres scafolding up on one of the wings of the house, The side with the collapsed roof if memory serves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭paranormal

SpinIt wrote: »
    Exactly, Anyone know how id go about getting inside with the owners permission, i.e who to contact,
    Theres scafolding up on one of the wings of the house, The side with the collapsed roof if memory serves.
    yea i wouldnt mind getting info on who to contact to get permission if anyone knows can you let us know

Advertisement