Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodlawn House - most haunted house in Ireland

Options
  • 05-08-2008 5:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Guys I need to talk to somebody

We saw the spooky Woodlawn house video on youtube and decided to go and check it out for ourselves. We were up there on Friday evening and got very freaked out by the whole thing. Woodlawn is a scary old ruined mansion house out in the middle of nowhere 40 odd miles or something from Galway, nobody has lived there since the last owner shot himself in 1978.

It was getting a bit dark as we were walking up to the place, we went round the back and got in through a window. It was creepy as hell in that place, as soon as we went in through a couple of rooms we started hearing this banging on the ceiling from one of the rooms upstairs, we went on down this corridor and my friend reckoned he saw something creeping around in the shadows behind us, it was so dark we could hardly see anything but we kept on walking forward not wanting to run into whatever it was behind us, till suddenly we heard what sounded like footsteps running at us faster and faster then something in front of us was crying and screaming. We got the hell out as fast as we could, I’ve never been so terrified before. Just as we were running back down to the car a security patrol turned up so we had to hide in some bushes. Me and my mate were both looking back up at the house and we both swear we saw something sinister up on the roof of the house looking down at us. We are both trying to put an explanation behind what happened but what we know what we heard and what we saw

Has anybody else been to look at Woodlawn? Does anybody know what we might have ran into in that house?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

...i have seen to vid ,,wouldnt call it the most haunted if it was we would all be there,,
    you should have not gone in without permission,,,owners get really p****ed off with poeple going into there property,,thats what messes up for the teams to try an investigation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Pissed off owner chasing you off the land. Haha legend. Sounds like fun to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BeeKally

guys you're not being much help here! the place is totally derelict, hasn't been lived in since 1975 or something. paint is all peeling off the walls, the roof is half caved in. if you want to see it go to youtube and search for woodlawn house. There was nothing human in that house with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Ok you are saying people are not being much help but you have to see that people tresspassing on private property makes it harder for those people you go to the trouble of getting permission to investigate locations.

I'll look up the video in a while and post again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

Sounds like a fright night for ye all. The boys are correct in saying it was a bad idea to tresspass, it may have even given ye better time to perpare if you all had permission but anyway, the place is 40 miles from no where then what was a petrol car doing there, unless either someone called them, or they are hired to patrol nightly and it sounds more like someone callled. Put the experience down to experience and leave it at that until you can look at this with a calmer mind and see it clearer.

The house looks like it used to be fab, are the owners going to try and reconstruct it does anyone know, it would be such a shame to see it fall further into rumble. Lots of wild animals nesting in there I would say, maybe thats what you disturbed, prob got more of a fright than ye did. Although it does sound like it may have an interesting history, doesn't mean haunted though as you know....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

BeeKally wrote: »
    guys you're not being much help here! the place is totally derelict, hasn't been lived in since 1975 or something. paint is all peeling off the walls, the roof is half caved in. if you want to see it go to youtube and search for woodlawn house. There was nothing human in that house with us.

What kind of help are you looking for?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well who knows what you saw or heard TBH. What you saw or heard is your experience, be thankful for it, sounds like a great experience for a first investigation (even if it was not official and against the law).
    We can't offer an explaination for it, sure someone could come along and give a name to whatever you saw just like I could say that the footsteps was an animal, and the screaming was a fox, but you might shoot all these ideas down and state that the footsteps were human and the crying was human etc. maybe a paranormal explaination would suit you better, we could go on forever.
    At the end of the day it happened to you and your friend, you should know more about it than anyone else, but I do see that you are wondering if anyone else experienced this type of thing there and if they had a name for it, or knew more about it. But that really makes no difference you'd just be taking someone else at their word for whatever reason you have.

If you are worried about bringing something home with you, go see a priest or a witch or whatever you believe in to calm you down a bit.

So are you now officially a paranormal investigatior? if you are interested any of the Ghost hunting guide books by Loyd Auerbach, Troy Taylor or Richard Southall would be a good read IMO.

I wouldn't be too upset about the lack of interest in your post, it's just that most of us here have heard loads of these stories before and generally only trust a few people about their experiences.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Stoner wrote: »
    If you are worried about bringing something home with you, go see a priest or a witch or whatever you believe in to calm you down a bit.

Just curious stoner,but how could she have brought something home?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Just curious stoner,but how could she have brought something home?

Sephiroth_dude I've no idea, it's just that some people say that this can and has happened to them. So some people take these types of steps.
    Then again some people just freak themselves out and a visit to a priest can calm them down and just put an end to something that was never really there to begin with (if you know where I'm coming from)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

aw ya,I get ya now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

We saw the spooky Woodlawn house video on youtube and decided to go and check it out for ourselves. We were up there on Friday evening and got very freaked out by the whole thing. Woodlawn is a scary old ruined mansion house out in the middle of nowhere 40 odd miles or something from Galway, nobody has lived there since the last owner shot himself in 1978.

It was getting a bit dark as we were walking up to the place, we went round the back and got in through a window. It was creepy as hell in that place, as soon as we went in through a couple of rooms we started hearing this banging on the ceiling from one of the rooms upstairs, we went on down this corridor and my friend reckoned he saw something creeping around in the shadows behind us, it was so dark we could hardly see anything but we kept on walking forward not wanting to run into whatever it was behind us, till suddenly we heard what sounded like footsteps running at us faster and faster then something in front of us was crying and screaming. We got the hell out as fast as we could, I’ve never been so terrified before. Just as we were running back down to the car a security patrol turned up so we had to hide in some bushes. Me and my mate were both looking back up at the house and we both swear we saw something sinister up on the roof of the house looking down at us. We are both trying to put an explanation behind what happened but what we know what we heard and what we saw

Has anybody else been to look at Woodlawn? Does anybody know what we might have ran into in that house?

Hey mate,

Really interesting post. Sounds like you could have met some restless spirits in that house, and doesn't sound like there were very nice vibes there at all!

Funny enough, I've been to Woodlawn before. I missed my stop for Athlone because I was asleep, so I got off in Woodlawn thinking it was a normal station... when I got off, it was just an old run down, deserted station. It was a pitch dark night and there was nobody there. Kind of chilling - I was only 21 at the time and had to wait ages for my parents to come... Woodlawn is a very quiet area, and I started hearing some weird noises all around me (probably the cows in the field).

I'm living in Galway now, so I may be interested in having a look at Woodlawn house sometime if you guys are (lawfully) going back to investigate further.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Check this out:

"The team that produced the independent American film 'The Blair Witch Project' came to Ireland a few years ago to undertake a documentary on the most haunted houses in Ireland. They stayed in many but found Woodlawn House to be the scariest!"

http://brenspeedie.blogspot.com/2006/09/woodlawn-house-most-haunted-house-in.html

:eek:

http://www.bebo.com/FlashBox.jsp?FlashBoxId=6163784751&#

Also:
    http://www.ghostsandstories.com/haunted-house-video.html

so whats haunted the music,,,,lol

looks intresting,,

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

Also documented this place!

http://www.abandonedireland.com/wl.html

When I was in the house taking the pics two groups of people walked up to the house to have a nose around. I duly obliged in making scary ghost noises and banging on the shutters. Both groups ran off ;)

The basement of the house is pretty dark and creepy, I didn't feel too comfortable down by the hook room but the rest of the house seemed nice enough.

For a scare rating: I probably would spend the night in this place alone.. sorry no ghosts here.

By the way if anybody is thinking about going for a look, the place is private property and is watched by the locals who will call up the security guy if ye are spotted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Dagon wrote: »
    Hey mate,

Really interesting post. Sounds like you could have met some restless spirits in that house, and doesn't sound like there were very nice vibes there at all!

Funny enough, I've been to Woodlawn before. I missed my stop for Athlone because I was asleep, so I got off in Woodlawn thinking it was a normal station... when I got off, it was just an old run down, deserted station. It was a pitch dark night and there was nobody there. Kind of chilling - I was only 21 at the time and had to wait ages for my parents to come... Woodlawn is a very quiet area, and I started hearing some weird noises all around me (probably the cows in the field).

I'm living in Galway now, so I may be interested in having a look at Woodlawn house sometime if you guys are (lawfully) going back to investigate further.

Cripes, that sounds really scary. Why on earth would a bus driver let you off at a deserted stop like that at night? Sounds like something from a horror movie.

I've seen pics of Woodlawn and it doesn't look like a very welcoming place. Stunning location and building though. What are the chances of being allowed to view the place above board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr.Whippie

As you see Beekelly on this forum they are the "real ghostbusters", see they only are interested in their own "official" investigations.I think it lousy how they just dismissed your post and experience straight off and laid down the law like they own the world of the paranormal.Seems here you must be a part of a paranormal group to have a paranormal experience and how on earth could Woodlawn House be the most haunted house in Ireland if they were not there first.
    Sounds like that place has plenty going on as its a fantastic building that has been left to ruin but somebody wants to keep people out.Would love to have been there myself, but have had similair experiences to yourself when checking out places,know how you feel when something you cant explain happens.
    Don't mind the "real ghostbusters" here who reckon a few investigations in Ross Castle along with the castle in tullamore and by being a bit of a geek account for experience in the paranormal.Anyone can set up a paranormal group ,just because your in one though does not give you the right to lambast and make judgment upon everyone else's experiences and put it down to fear,inexperience,landowner,animals etc. And no sixth your not the spokesperson for the paranormal world, Derek Acorah would even be more fitting.

I'd have taken more notice of your post if you'd bothered using your real account instead of hiding behind a new reg :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BeeKally

Yeah tell me about the "real ghostbusters"! I bet it's a right ball at there conventions! lol!!

Anyways! was back to Woodlawn last night. Four of us this time and we were a bit better prepared, well at least we had torches and made sure nobody spotted us as we went up to the house. But sorry we didn't have our "real ghostbuster" certification

First we went to hook room. We took it in turns being in that room alone for ten minutes, all the others went back around the front of the house and waited the full ten minutes. We all wrote down what we felt/saw/heard when we were alone in that room. Now I'll tell you that is the scariest place I've ever been in. All four of us said we heard something like metal scraping on metal, three of us wrote we heard somebody crying, two of us wrote there was something in the room with us. We were all really scared by this time but we went on down to the cellar, as soon as we were in there the banging started on the floor above us just like I heard before, something like footsteps running at us. All four of us felt like we shouldn't be in that house or something wanted us out but we kept on going right to the last room at the end of the basement. We lit some candles and had just turned off our torches when there was a huge crash on the floor above us and all the candles went out!! We FREAKED!! and were basically falling over each other trying to get out the place!! We ran back to the car absolutely shaking!! I'm never going back near that place!

Beekally, a bit of a rummage through this forum and you'll see that we alll started off somewhere and we've organised plenty of trips here for plenty with all levels of experience. Its a shane you're writing off people who've been doing this a while just because we dont agree with you tresspassing. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing things and when you do it the right way its harder for people to dismiss your experiences.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Mr Whippie, please do not try to antagonise, well, everyone. Some constructive criticism was made.

If anyone has a problem with a post they should report it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessae86

Yeah tell me about the "real ghostbusters"! I bet it's a right ball at there conventions! lol!!

Anyways! was back to Woodlawn last night. Four of us this time and we were a bit better prepared, well at least we had torches and made sure nobody spotted us as we went up to the house. But sorry we didn't have our "real ghostbuster" certification

First we went to hook room. We took it in turns being in that room alone for ten minutes, all the others went back around the front of the house and waited the full ten minutes. We all wrote down what we felt/saw/heard when we were alone in that room. Now I'll tell you that is the scariest place I've ever been in. All four of us said we heard something like metal scraping on metal, three of us wrote we heard somebody crying, two of us wrote there was something in the room with us. We were all really scared by this time but we went on down to the cellar, as soon as we were in there the banging started on the floor above us just like I heard before, something like footsteps running at us. All four of us felt like we shouldn't be in that house or something wanted us out but we kept on going right to the last room at the end of the basement. We lit some candles and had just turned off our torches when there was a huge crash on the floor above us and all the candles went out!! We FREAKED!! and were basically falling over each other trying to get out the place!! We ran back to the car absolutely shaking!! I'm never going back near that place!
    OMG "SAVAGE" that is mental **it !!!! Id say u were bricking it !!!! So you didnt get caught going in did you ?? The thing about it is, the more people that do get caught trying to go into these old houses, the more chance there is of the house being totally boarded up inside and out, like Loftas Hall in Wexford, u cud get inside that at one point and now the whole thing is boarded up, cos of people going inside...... its **it, i would love to go inside that place for a look..... so your never going back eehh ????!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jessae86

6th wrote: »
    Beekally, a bit of a rummage through this forum and you'll see that we alll started off somewhere and we've organised plenty of trips here for plenty with all levels of experience. Its a shane you're writing off people who've been doing this a while just because we dont agree with you tresspassing. There are right ways and wrong ways of doing things and when you do it the right way its harder for people to dismiss your experiences.
    so tell me this, have you gotten permission from someone everytime you went into an old house etc like this place ???? or how did you go about getting in ????

Mr.Whippie wrote: »
    As you see Beekelly on this forum they are the "real ghostbusters", see they only are interested in their own "official" investigations.I think it lousy how they just dismissed your post and experience straight off and laid down the law like they own the world of the paranormal.Seems here you must be a part of a paranormal group to have a paranormal experience and how on earth could Woodlawn House be the most haunted house in Ireland if they were not there first.
    Sounds like that place has plenty going on as its a fantastic building that has been left to ruin but somebody wants to keep people out.Would love to have been there myself, but have had similair experiences to yourself when checking out places,know how you feel when something you cant explain happens.
    Don't mind the "real ghostbusters" here who reckon a few investigations in Ross Castle along with the castle in tullamore and by being a bit of a geek account for experience in the paranormal.Anyone can set up a paranormal group ,just because your in one though does not give you the right to lambast and make judgment upon everyone else's experiences and put it down to fear,inexperience,landowner,animals etc. And no sixth your not the spokesperson for the paranormal world, Derek Acorah would even be more fitting.

ouch,,,and all that for only one post:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Mr.Whippie

Mr Whippie banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Go at 2 in the afternoon. It wont seem half as scary.
    Walking around in the dark like that, course your gonna think you saw things...

I totally believe in spirits and all that goes with it - but it never ceases to amaze me all the people who go into dungeons and crumbelling houses at all hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Dunno what that could have been man, load of us should get togrther with cam's and recorders , check it out, think most of us are in galway, be a of craic. not been smart about it, take that kind of thing with respect,.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

kshiel wrote: »
    Sounds like a fright night for ye all. The boys are correct in saying it was a bad idea to tresspass, it may have even given ye better time to perpare if you all had permission but anyway, the place is 40 miles from no where then what was a petrol car doing there....

Petrol car, heh, heh! :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Mr.Whippie wrote: »
    Mr Whippie banned

That isn't something you see printed every day! :p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Im amazed at how Woodlawn House has almost taken on a life of its own recently.It was a beautiful stately house and its grounds and estate were vast in its heyday.Now,unfortunatly, it looks like it could be haunted and peoples imaginations oblige this suggestion.
    Also if one insists on being a trespasser,be careful as that house is literally falling apart.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 whoopdeedoo

I only live 10 mins from woodlawn house and I definitely believe its one of the most haunted places in Ireland!! I've heard of far too many incidents and stories to believe otherwise.
    When I was younger you could get through but now the house is locked, you can't trespass because of the security cameras.

The people who last lived there were french as far as I know.
    Its true about the man hanging himself there aswel.. Images of a man have supposedly appeared in windows in photographs of the front of the house!

The makers of the blair witch project visited it before and they were really creeped out apparantly!!!

Believe it or not its soon to be reconstructed as a nursing home!!!!!:eek:

Advertisement