Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sept Start Date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 SFMCC

Still trying to come to terms with the definitions - can write the 10 out but keep missing out one or two words each time. Their is know way I could write the whole book word for word - PANICKING.
    SFMCC

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭New Recruit

Have you done the tasks in the wookbook yet?

SFMCC wrote: »
    Still trying to come to terms with the definitions - can write the 10 out but keep missing out one or two words each time. Their is know way I could write the whole book word for word - PANICKING.
    SFMCC

Just spent 2 hours on the definitions and have only memorised 2....These suck!!!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 721 ✭✭✭goodcopbadcop

Might of asked this before but how do you have to recall these definitions. Do they make you say them out loud one at a time or how is it tested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭conor123

and how long are they? what are we talking about? a few lines, a paragraph, half a page etc etc etc you see where im going:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 egwene

I kinda know most of them now, but keep on getting some words muddled up... It's a bit of a nightmare!:eek:

GCBC most of them are only a few lines, but there's a few nasty ones thrown in for good measure :P

I've been learning them by basically chanting them out loud over and over!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wanalaugh

Did I read correctly and see that someone know 10 defs already, and someone else has done the whole def book lol. us guys all struggled with the and we where working through them for 7 weeks before we got the exam. And in the exam, you must know them word for word. Any wrong words and the def means nothing, so its would be marked wrong......
    If you know as many as you say, then well done :D

wanalaugh

I could be wrong here but it seems a good way to learn these definitions would be to write them out over and over like you did in school when you were bad :D

I must refrain from forgetting to get my homework diary signed

that is one suggestion, or writing out a few and sticking them on the wall and looking at it all the time.

Speaking of lines there I remember a boy in my class getting some and he typed them out on the computer, copy and paste job. He was actually surprised that the teacher did accpept them.. true story :p

Wanalaugh wrote: »
    Did I read correctly and see that someone know 10 defs already, and someone else has done the whole def book lol. us guys all struggled with the and we where working through them for 7 weeks before we got the exam. And in the exam, you must know them word for word. Any wrong words and the def means nothing, so its would be marked wrong......
    If you know as many as you say, then well done :D

wanalaugh

How many did you know before going in?

To be honest, the first 3. The 3rd one is a nightmare as you will see.

Remember guys if this board is open for all to see, just be very careful what you write in here. It can give to much away for what happens up in the hotel. Also, dont mention any times, places, names etc this can set you or someone else set up. There is still a threat out their chaps. Make it as hard as you can for those guys out there that want to cause us harm....

Anyhow back to the work again. I find printing them out on an A4 page and making the writing bigger and breaking them down into sentences makes it easier. I then type them out on the laptop instead of hand wrting them. Hand writing is a pain in the bottom lol. Im lot slower than the rest of the guys at doin them. So if its a small def, then ill read it one night for an hour, and then re-do it the next night etc. Usually takes me about a couple of hours to do one. Some of them can take 3 or 4 nights ie 1-2 hrs a night. Especially the 3rd def as ive said before.

wanalaugh.

ps, im ofsky, defs to learn lol

• Advertisement

How did you get them before going in?

To be honest, my mate was in the hotel a while back and he gave me his copy and gave me the heads up. But as you will see when you get in, there was a shock in store for us. The defs are now part of the course and there are 3 exams on them. Before it was just a matter of writing them down in class and then yourtrainer marked them, only 3-4 at a time.
    If I was smarter, and knew for definite that I was getting in months ago, I would have borrowed all his books and started reading them to get the idea of whats to be done into the big void between my ears lol.

wanalaugh

do we definately need to know the 10 definitions word for word on intake sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Jonesville

you wont need to know 10 for intake sunday unless thats what they told you at the SRN. our first test was monday which is week 5.

do try and get the first 2 in your head if you can, we got a spot check on the Caution on the first sunday, no big deal though.

im not going to worry too much about it, the majority of people going in and have never seen this forum and therefore know nothing about definitions or anything else. They cant expect people to have got a heads up from a friend and know stuff before even beginning training ;)

You get a copy of the definitions at the SRN, with a list of which one you are supposed to know on the first day.

There isn't a chance in hell I am going to know the 10 they asked for. I'll battle on through though and get as many as I can learned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

Jammy buggas!!!! All the best for sunday!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭carlty888

Good luck to all the "Greens" starting on Sunday.

I'm kinda green myself. :D Damn jealously!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Sadie OOO!!!

carlty888 wrote: »
    Good luck to all the "Greens" starting on Sunday.

I'm kinda green myself. :D Damn jealously!

Second and third and fourth that my friends~!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭soozb82

Could someone in the know clarify something for me please?? What exactly is the dress code for the first few days? I know casual and all that but do we need to be in sporty type gear for activities, or just what you consider comfortable for sitting around yakking??

Thanks in advance!

• Advertisement

Far as im aware you wear a suit on the day. You are then provided uniform and I assume you wear this during the day and then in P.E classes you wear the kit they provide.

Maybe someone who knows for sure can explain a bit better

Could someone in the know clarify something for me please?? What exactly is the dress code for the first few days? I know casual and all that but do we need to be in sporty type gear for activities, or just what you consider comfortable for sitting around yakking??

Thanks in advance!

Jeans and T-Shirts/Jumper for the residential Sooz.

Make sure you are well dressed on the Sunday when arriving, Very smart is the Code...Suits for the boys, Trouser Suit Type for the girlies...Our Sergant told us that it has been known for those who are not well dressed to be send to Tescos across the road and get a suit :eek:

right so its suits on the day. Uniform when in class or in the yard etc, p.e kit in p.e class, and then whatever you like in the evenings when class is over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭JVB

Just want to wish all who start this Sunday the very best of luck. I'm working away all weekend with no computer access. See ya on the other side ;)

similar question to soozb82's here... you know how on the info sheet about the 3 day diversity training it states to bring warm casual clothes? does that mean warm as in comfortable for sitting around in doors, or warm as in we're going to be doing stuff outdoors?

Never heard of diversity days, but if this is the first 3 days you are there then I think its some outdoor stuff that happens. Dont think you are meant to go into specifics on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭soozb82

Thanks everyone, but I am still no wiser!! Basically I want to know are heels a bad idea (I don't mean big stillettos or anything!!) or should I stick to trainers, or bring a choice...mind you I think my bag is already gonna be rather full!!

Oh & don't worry I already have the dull as dishwater suit ready for sunday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 duckster

Has anyone had diffs learning the '10 definitions' or has it just been me? Sunday is looming and my head is pickled

Has anyone had diffs learning the '10 definitions' or has it just been me? Sunday is looming and my head is pickled

No way, I have got the 1st 3 sorted and would hope to have a couple more by Sunday...The Powers Of Arrest one took ages!!

I was talking to a few guys who are in at the minute, they say if you have the 1st 4 sorted you are flying...I am going with that:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭given1

im dying to find out what these infamous definitions are:D do they include 'whatever you say may be later used in courts..........??

Advertisement