Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Towns in County Cork

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Ballydehob and Schull are similar enough off season, Schull might shade it socially/culturally. I like them both. Schull gets a more "nautical" crowd in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Youghal - should be better with a seafront and historic associations and buildings but isn't.

Mallow, Dunmanway - both dull and gloomy with little to offer the visitor.

Cobh - great history and buildings, but a proportion of the population needs to be liquidated.

Drimoleague - closed pubs/shops, dereliction.

Millstreet - got the Eurovision in 1993 and hasn't stopped blowing about it since.

Macroom - choked with traffic at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Youghal - should be better with a seafront and historic associations and buildings but isn't.

Cobh - great history and buildings, but a proportion of the population needs to be liquidated.

Millstreet - got the Eurovision in 1993 and hasn't stopped blowing about it since.

There's plenty to do in Mallow unless you expect the locals to show you the minute you arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

what about ballydehob, skib, or blarney? or around that area

Jack53 wrote: »
    what about ballydehob, skib, or blarney? or around that area

Ballydehob I like, some locals commented that may have overtaken Schull by now.

Skibb - nice town, has a good vibe about it, thought their museum was a tad overpriced for what it was though.

Blarney - One trick tourist town, castle and gardens are nice but castle is way overrated (and expensive)

• Advertisement

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    There's plenty to do in Mallow unless you expect the locals to show you the minute you arrive.

tbf I wouldn't want to approach some of the locals. For anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

tbf I wouldn't want to approach some of the locals. For anything.

So tell us where's this heavenly town that you live in?

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    So tell us where's this heavenly town that you live in?

Not from a town.

So tell us all the many things Mallow has to offer?

Not from a town.

So tell us all the many things Mallow has to offer?

Alberts
    Chasers (with the mannequins...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

best - glengarriff

worst - drimoleague

Repped on Drimoleague. Its just a mini Dunmanway

• Advertisement

Repped on Drimoleague. Its just a mini Dunmanway

Dunmanway is depressing.
    Its a marshy bog with a mean main street and misshapen square.

Drimoleague can be senic in certain light.

Thread is hillarious. Just read the whole lot.

Im going to nail my colours to the mast.
    Worst town/village in Cork: Mogeely.

Nicest town/village: Eyeries or Castletownsend. Honourable mention to Glanworth and their epic little bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I moved away from Cork county 10 years ago having grown up there but this is my lasting impression which may well be out of date:

Dunmanway-grim grim grim
    Bandon- had a dog rough reputation in the 90s and the Guards were a notorious bunch of bastards
    Cobh- rough as ****
    Kinsale- nice
    Mallow- rough
    Clonakility- great nightlife
    Bantry- grim
    Youghal- grim
    Maroom- rough reputation in the 90s but seems to have lost that as the scumbags moved away or killed themselves
    Carrigaline- just a big housing estate tagged on to the City
    Ballincollig- same as Carrigaline

To be fair, I have actually found that Irish towns have improved immensely since the crash in 2008 on my trips back.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭booksale

I am also reading threads about towns in county Cork.

Anyone can comment about Mitchelstown? Thinking to get a property there as property price is very reasonable. We have small kids. Is it a nice town to raise young children? Is it a welcoming town for non Irish people?

We are also considering macroom and mallow. But it seems to me that Mitchelstown is more attractive for its scenes in the surroundings. Well all I read is that it’s offering good food, good cycling trails, scenes, Mitchelstowncave, music festival and commutable distance to cork city, limerick city etc.

Would love to hear recent opinions about these three towns : mitchelstown, macroom and mallow, esp mitchelstown.

booksale wrote: »

Anyone can comment about Mitchelstown? Thinking to get a property there as property price is very reasonable. We have small kids. Is it a nice town to raise young children? Is it a welcoming town for non Irish people?

We are also considering macroom and mallow. But it seems to me that Mitchelstown is more attractive for its scenes in the surroundings. Well all I read is that it’s offering good food, good cycling trails, scenes, Mitchelstowncave, music festival and commutable distance to cork city, limerick city etc.

Would love to hear recent opinions about these three towns : mitchelstown, macroom and mallow, esp mitchelstown.

Dont know any of them very well, but of the three, I'd go Macroom. Theres something a bit more cosmopolitan about it, and thats saying something. (Id prefer Mallow to Mitchelstown).
    Mitchelstown would be more "pastoral", less "bucolic".

Its (Macroom) about to be bypassed as well, so could make for pleasant living, and even closer to Cork. Not too far from Ballincollig either. In summer you could commute by bike if bikes are your thing, with Killarney 30min the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Dont know any of them very well, but of the three, I'd go Macroom. Theres something a bit more cosmopolitan about it, and thats saying something. (Id prefer Mallow to Mitchelstown).
    Mitchelstown would be more "pastoral", less "bucolic".

Its (Macroom) about to be bypassed as well, so could make for pleasant living, and even closer to Cork. Not too far from Ballincollig either. In summer you could commute by bike if bikes are your thing, with Killarney 30min the other way.

Macroom is very close to me but I don't use it a lot. It's got everything you need but is a horrible bottleneck, and can be at any time of the day.
    It's about to be bypassed, but this is happening almost 20 years, it's due to start in 2020 and take 3 years but I've a feeling it'll be closer to 2030 before the road opens, if it ever even gets started.
    For commuting to the city I'd avoid it unless the house is on the city side.
    Lovely town with good facilities but the traffic really does keep people away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Danger781

Stumbled across this thread as we're trying to decide where we want to live and wanted to resurrect this thread and see 2020 opinions!

A lot of hate towards Dunmanway in this thread. I personally think Dunmanway is OK as far as country towns go. We're out there frequently enough visiting family and never got a bad vibe from the place. That being said I've never been drinking there either.

Bandon had a lot of mixed reviews. Some were quite positive about the shopping experience there but I've never seen anything to warrant that positivity. Every time I drive through there I just see abandoned buildings, empty storefronts, and a drab grey color scheme throughout the town. I think it looks like a town that the rest of the county forgot about, like it's still stuck in the recession. Were those positive comments back when Heaton's used to be there?

Saw a lot of negativity towards Mallow as well. Only stopped there a handful of times myself and always thought it was a bit of an odd town. Couldn't see myself living there.

I also really don't like Carrigaline. I've only been there a couple of times and thought it has absolutely no redeeming qualities. Strange vibe about the place as well. We went to look at a house there and both couldn't wait to leave and vowed to not return!

--

Nicest towns for me have to be Ballincollig, Kinsale and Clonakilty. Ballincollig has so much greenery and a welcoming vibe as you drive in from the city side. Clonakilty seems like a bit of a hipster town without being pretentious. There's not many nicer towns than Kinsale on a nice summer day.

Quite like Douglas as well for amenities and quality of living. Everything on your doorstep. It's a bit too busy / built-up though.

Kinda like Innishannon too. I know there's not much there and traffic will be a bitch, but it just seems like a nice little village to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jack53

Seemingly from all the newspapers they are reporting that there is a huge interest in West cork at the moment. People that are working from home don’t want to be stuck in small places in cities.
    I recently bought a place in Skibbereen - lovely town.
    But, I hope I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes when I say this but my next car I will try and get a c reg car. I find that I am never waved out of a junction, am expected to reverse on a narrow road. All because I’ve a d reg. It’s not in my head ,when I take my husband c reg it’s a whole different experience. I never mentioned it to him previously but he said the same other day out of the blue. Do Cork people not like the blow-ins ?

Danger781 wrote: »
    Stumbled across this thread as we're trying to decide where we want to live and wanted to resurrect this thread and see 2020 opinions!

A lot of hate towards Dunmanway in this thread. I personally think Dunmanway is OK as far as country towns go. We're out there frequently enough visiting family and never got a bad vibe from the place. That being said I've never been drinking there either.

Bandon had a lot of mixed reviews. Some were quite positive about the shopping experience there but I've never seen anything to warrant that positivity. Every time I drive through there I just see abandoned buildings, empty storefronts, and a drab grey color scheme throughout the town. I think it looks like a town that the rest of the county forgot about, like it's still stuck in the recession. Were those positive comments back when Heaton's used to be there?

Saw a lot of negativity towards Mallow as well. Only stopped there a handful of times myself and always thought it was a bit of an odd town. Couldn't see myself living there.

I also really don't like Carrigaline. I've only been there a couple of times and thought it has absolutely no redeeming qualities. Strange vibe about the place as well. We went to look at a house there and both couldn't wait to leave and vowed to not return!

--

Nicest towns for me have to be Ballincollig, Kinsale and Clonakilty. Ballincollig has so much greenery and a welcoming vibe as you drive in from the city side. Clonakilty seems like a bit of a hipster town without being pretentious. There's not many nicer towns than Kinsale on a nice summer day.

Quite like Douglas as well for amenities and quality of living. Everything on your doorstep. It's a bit too busy / built-up though.

Kinda like Innishannon too. I know there's not much there and traffic will be a bitch, but it just seems like a nice little village to live.

I know in the mid 90s Bandon and Dunmanway had a rubbish reputation. Bandon being by far the worse and generally a 'no go' area at the weekends with fights and drugs. The Guards from Bandon are notorious ****.

Problem with the likes of Ballincollig and Carrigaline is that you get a spill over of scumbags from the City who relocate there and bring all the crap with them.

Can't go wrong with Clonakility or Kinsale.

.red. wrote: »
    Macroom is very close to me but I don't use it a lot. It's got everything you need but is a horrible bottleneck, and can be at any time of the day.
    It's about to be bypassed, but this is happening almost 20 years, it's due to start in 2020 and take 3 years but I've a feeling it'll be closer to 2030 before the road opens, if it ever even gets started.
    For commuting to the city I'd avoid it unless the house is on the city side.
    Lovely town with good facilities but the traffic really does keep people away.

I actually drove through Macroom recently for the first time in years and TBH I was shocked at how grubby and dilapidated it looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Jack53 wrote: »
    Seemingly from all the newspapers they are reporting that there is a huge interest in West cork at the moment. People that are working from home don’t want to be stuck in small places in cities.
    I recently bought a place in Skibbereen - lovely town.
    But, I hope I’m not stepping on anyone’s toes when I say this but my next car I will try and get a c reg car. I find that I am never waved out of a junction, am expected to reverse on a narrow road. All because I’ve a d reg. It’s not in my head ,when I take my husband c reg it’s a whole different experience. I never mentioned it to him previously but he said the same other day out of the blue. Do Cork people not like the blow-ins ?

Live in Clonakilty, have driven C, D and G reg cars and never noticed anything like that, could it be the model of car?, perhaps people have preconceptions of audi drivers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

booksale wrote: »

I would put Mallow and Mitchelstown before Macroom. Mitchelstown has easy access to motorway for access to Cork and Dublin. Mallow has the rail connections, general hospital, a good selection of houses, schools, shops and a bigger population than Mitchelstown. Both are good towns though. Both have good access to scenic areas e.g. Ballyhoura hills, Blackwater valley, Doneraile Court etc.
    I just think Macroom loses out on transport infrastructure especially public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Has Charleville been mentioned? Awful kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

lisao80 wrote: »
    Im gonna jump on the hating Dunmanway Band wagon as well.. its a dull depressing hole, i have nothing nice to say about the place, used go out there when i was younger and there was always fights there, even now 10 yrs on if i drive thru there at say 3 or 4 on a sat night there is people asleep on the street.
    the shops have nothing in them.. and the traffic can be a pain in the ass.

fav town is either Clon or skibb In west cork or Cobh in East Cork, i spent 6 yrs livin in cobh and loved it.

Really??? i live in Durrus..:confused::rolleyes:

Your comments about Dunmanway remind me of when I was passing through there on the bus about fifteen years ago, there was some fair or festival on. I saw two drunk guys fighting by the small bridge over the river, one guy grabbed the other and was trying to throw him over the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Any thoughts on millstreet

cute geoge wrote: »

Millstreet is located in picturesque country, has the Green Glens arena for entertainment, horse shows etc. About 30 minutes to Killarney if no local employment, is serviced by the mainline rail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Edgware wrote: »
    Millstreet is located in picturesque country, has the Green Glens arena for entertainment, horse shows etc. About 30 minutes to Killarney if no local employment, is serviced by the mainline rail

Does the Malpasso Bar with pictures of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly over the fascia still exist?

Seamai wrote: »
    Does the Malpasso Bar with pictures of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly over the fascia still exist?

Not sure about that. I'm more a Maureens Bar, Mallow client myself

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Any ideas what happened with Hungry Harry’s in Charleville?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

cute geoge wrote: »

Handy for train

• Advertisement
Advertisement