Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Towns in County Cork

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Seriously wtf is with this Mitchelstown scumbag thing?! It's not that bad. There is a generation coming up at the moment that are right little shítes but overall it's not the worst.

Mallow has a ridiculous amount of scummers there for the size of the town.

Nope, have to seriously disagree there. Mallow is a lot bigger than Mitchelstown and has a similar number of scumbags. Actually, I'd say Mallow has less.
    But I say Mallow and Mitchelstown should put aside their differences and focus on the common enemy - FERMOY. :mad::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Bandon is a nice town IMO.I think macroom is the worst town in county cork

Macroom's not all that bad!! People are friendly there and not a bad old town to have a few drinks in!! Good for shopping too with a Dunnes, Lidl, supervalu and nice butchers near by imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

Seinas wrote: »
    Newmarket is nice... as is Clonakilty

worst would be Buttevant!

Just before this thread falls off page 1 :) I inadvertantly drove through Buttevant over Christmas. Certainly from the inside of a car it appears to be lacking in any civic pride, not much brightness, bit of a border town feel. Maybe it has redeeming features...

And my opinion of Bandon has risen following the Bandon 5 race on the 28th which was centered around the Old Still pub with great hospitality shown. But of course that was a fleeting visit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Nope, have to seriously disagree there. Mallow is a lot bigger than Mitchelstown and has a similar number of scumbags. Actually, I'd say Mallow has less.
    But I say Mallow and Mitchelstown should put aside their differences and focus on the common enemy - FERMOY. :mad::P

Im sorry but Mitchelstown does not have that many scumbags. There is rarely any crime worth mentioning there and overall its very quiet. There are a few scumbags in Mikos and Willie Andies on saturday nights but even they are relatively harmless. It does seem to have a scumbag reputation for some reason though. It has fights on a saturday night occasionally but in these times what town doesnt?

Its not really a town but Watergrasshill has to be the ****iest place in Cork. Its so run down and the road through it is the roughest ive ever been on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Cobh is some dump.

Took the g/friend there a few months back for a Sunday drive and I ended up apologising for bringing her there..very embarassed.

TBH most market towns are ****e..full of either school kids, scumbags or old biddes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

RoyMcC wrote: »
    Just before this thread falls off page 1 :) I inadvertantly drove through Buttevant over Christmas. Certainly from the inside of a car it appears to be lacking in any civic pride, not much brightness, bit of a border town feel. Maybe it has redeeming features

Go to the horse fair - last week of June I think. That's when the town celebrates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

I had the "pleasure" of having to come through buttevant during that horse fair.

Largest gathering ive ever seen of members of the traveller community.

Took ages to get through it.

Mitchelstown and Midleton are both depressing towns.

Best was prob clon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 jaymack

Wow - as some one who grew up in County Cork, this is a very interesting thread. My own thoughts... well I'll base this on following my mother around shops with I was a kid, nights out when I was a teenager and driving around now as a visiting tourist from The Pale(!).

Skibb: Good shops - esp Fields (sliced pan!), good pubs and a nice place. Traffic can be bad, but the bypass has really helped.
    Bantry: Sorry, a rough place when I was younger, saw lots of fights outside the Westlodge between a certain set of locals and anyone who came to visit for a night out! However seems a brighter place now when I drive through.
    Clon: a nice place with nice pubs and good shops; near lots of nice beaches.
    Schull: I really like this place; can get a bit crowded during the summer, but some people go there for that.
    (While I am on small villages) Crookhaven: Billy Sull's for a pint on a warm summer night - looking at the sea and relaxing - that would be nice!
    (And while out that way): Keep Schull / Skibb / Bantry Clean - dump your rubblish in Goleen! Oh and Ballydehob does exist - people in Dublin won't believe me!
    Bandon: Sorry again - does seem to be a rough place - but they have made a huge effort to get more shops in the last few years.
    Kinsale: Yeah, it does have it all with pubs etc. But gets crowded in the summer... see Schull above.
    Dunmanway: I used to think it was quite okay, but stopped there a few years ago for lunch - it seemed to be the same as when I was there as a kid - which is bad in that it was like the 1980's; quite empty and dull - sorry again.
    Glengarriff: Kind of like a piece of Kerry that has come to Cork! Shops selling lace, house buggy rides and so on.
    Kanturk: Actually I found it very nice on a trip there a few years ago.

I could go on, but dinner is ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Mitchelstown has become depressing looking over the past couple of years. I suppose that's connected with the factory closures and bypass. Speaking as a total outsider, I used to like it but it seems to be getting increasingly desolate. Even the large co-op shop opposite the square used to be one of the best shops in the country but it's become very mediocre now. I find it incredible that it has retained four filling stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hey12345

shoegirl wrote: »
    I've lived in a few towns around the place, including 3 in a couple of different towns with a girl from Buttevant. I agree Buttevant is not great but I do think there is worse, and it gets noticed because its on the main road. Doneraile, Rathcormac and "Little Island" are pretty horrible too. Problem with Buttevant is being on the main road AND a long way from anywhere.

Mallow as a town has really picked up, it was horrendous when I moved here first. Midleton likewise. Youghal LOOKS nice but to me its a bit dull. Castlemartyr has picked up a bit.

My personal pet hate is Rathcormac. I lived there for a year and it was the most miserable year of my life. I hated it with a vengence then and even more now. Fermoy I started to like because I could escape there from Rathcormac. It was the most horrible place I've ever lived in, anywhere. The Spar is about the most exciting thing in town.

Kinsale I find nice to visit but more than a bit pretentious.
    i'm sorry but rathcormac isn't that bad and its a villege so what more were you especting other than a few shops :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Mitchelstown has become depressing looking over the past couple of years. I suppose that's connected with the factory closures and bypass. Speaking as a total outsider, I used to like it but it seems to be getting increasingly desolate. Even the large co-op shop opposite the square used to be one of the best shops in the country but it's become very mediocre now. I find it incredible that it has retained four filling stations.

5 filling stations actually, 6 if you include the petrol pumps in the middle of the town.

You're right though, seems incredible that they all have a market. Just wondering why do you find the place so desolate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

Driving into Mitchelstown from the Fermoy side was always a beautiful picture, especially with the snow capped Galtees as a backdrop. But now what have our wonderful planners obstructed this lovely vista with but a big ugly medical centre.
    Since then I've heard that the resident chemist in the new big ugly and badly positioned medical centre is to go to Boots. That should help close down another few local businesses.
    I seriously hope that the guy that designed it finds himself unemployed really soon, or beauty beware.

Fud Duddy wrote: »
    Driving into Mitchelstown from the Fermoy side was always a beautiful picture, especially with the snow capped Galtees as a backdrop. But now what have our wonderful planners obstructed this lovely vista with but a big ugly medical centre.
    Since then I've heard that the resident chemist in the new big ugly and badly positioned medical centre is to go to Boots. That should help close down another few local businesses.
    I seriously hope that the guy that designed it finds himself unemployed really soon, or beauty beware.

The resident chemist is Boots. About the only accurate piece of information in your post.

The Galtees are still more than visible from both that approach and Upper Cork St., the medical centre has provided an infrastructural and social asset to the town.

As for it being ugly, that is entirely subjective. Also, the development did not ruin the view but merely changed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Fud Duddy

Well Kev that is my opinion and you're entitled to yours.
    In response to your post, I think that medical care in Mitchelstown was already catered for between various doctors surgeries and chemists. I wonder what it cost to build that monster and how better could this money have been put to work elsewhere in the town.
    To my mind building that eyesore where they did was a decision of the aesthetically bankrupt. But there you go, more money than taste.

Fud Duddy wrote: »
    Well Kev that is my opinion and you're entitled to yours.
    In response to your post, I think that medical care in Mitchelstown was already catered for between various doctors surgeries and chemists. I wonder what it cost to build that monster and how better could this money have been put to work elsewhere in the town.
    To my mind building that eyesore where they did was a decision of the aesthetically bankrupt. But there you go, more money than taste.

It's a private enterprise by the doctors of the town, in no way funded by public money so your comment is redundant.

The main advantage of it is that all the doctors are in one purposely designed building rather than scattered around the town, they will be able to provide more advanced services (there are plans to provide x-ray facilities, mini laboratory, minor surgical procedures etc.)

I am more concerned with the facility than the look of the building. Hopefully it will end the situation where people from the town without transport have to book taxis etc. to get to their medical appointments in Cork/Mallow. AFAIK the location is edge of town centre.

Can I ask where you would prefer to see this centre located or are you proposed to the principle of the centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

It's a private enterprise by the doctors of the town, in no way funded by public money so your comment is redundant.

The main advantage of it is that all the doctors are in one purposely designed building rather than scattered around the town, they will be able to provide more advanced services (there are plans to provide x-ray facilities, mini laboratory, minor surgical procedures etc.)

I am more concerned with the facility than the look of the building. Hopefully it will end the situation where people from the town without transport have to book taxis etc. to get to their medical appointments in Cork/Mallow. AFAIK the location is edge of town centre.

Can I ask where you would prefer to see this centre located or are you proposed to the principle of the centre?

Well said. I actually like the look of the building as well and im sure it will come as a welcome relief to people of North Cork, South Tipp and South Limerick that they wont have to drive to Mallow or Cork for X-rays and have to wait for hours in an A&E for something that can be done in the medical centre.

Mitchelstown's main problem imo is the lack of a town council. How many other towns of that size are relying on the county council to make all their decisions? Its actually a disgrace that there is no town council there to look after the towns interests properly. Having the completely incompetent O'Keefes as the local TDs and councillors does not help matters either.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ironé

Seinas wrote: »
    Newmarket is nice... as is Clonakilty

worst would be Buttevant!

100% agree! Newmarket is a great spot!

Not mad about Cobh or Kinsale.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tee.

Ah, Mitchelstown is grand.
    People only think there's loadsa scumbags because these "scumbags" have nowhere to go in the town except the main street in full view of everyone!:pac:
    Come for the music festival, then ye'll change your mind!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Incorrect re public funding. The docs get a big fat grant from HSE. And also for your info, they get subsidies from the HSE to pay their staff, nurse, sec. etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

brucer24! wrote: »
    worst- has to be buttevant.
    So so true by a million miles , the place takes pride in having a knacker festival every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

Best:

Rosscarbery
    Clon
    Kinsale
    Bantry
    Union Hall (not really a town though i suppose)

Worst:

Buttevant...hasnt changed in 40 years
    Charleville: dull town with nothin to do..plenty of "colourful" characters there though!
    Rathcormac...a real boomtime disaster area.massive overdevelopment and nothing to do there
    Dunmanway = Mundaneway again a dull town with nothing to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭sparklepants

joulter wrote: »
    Worst:

Buttevant
    ...hasnt changed in 40 years
    "AmeriCo's pizzAria" wasn't there 40 years ago. People knew how to spell the names of their shops back then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

joulter wrote: »
    Dunmanway = Mundaneway again a dull town with nothing to do

C'mon, the Broadway Cinema's been there for more than 40 years, and you haven't found it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

It depends on the time of the year. Some places are great in summer but as dead as a dodo in winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Kinsale seems to be more of an all year round town. Schull is seasonal and Cloakilty to a lesser extent. At the risk of offending anyone, I won't name the town I think is the worst but it has been mentioned already by somebodyelse on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

[QUOTE=joulter;5938120

Worst:

Buttevant...hasnt changed in 40 year[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid your wrong here my friend , it has changed . Its changed for the worst. They should coax all the inbred townsfolk, with their webbed feet out of the town, with the promise of a bowl of cornflakes, and while they are out munching away to their hearts delight , a few helicopters should fly over this stinking septic pit and drop a bomb on it! We could then send the townsfolk to Chernobyl where they would feel right at home , if not a little outclassed!
    Good God i dont mean to be cruel but holy Fukc, there is not one redeeming feature about this place , nothing to be proud of , even the inhabitants, who are all related(dont ask) hate the place. After years and years of breeding within the confines of their own outhouses , they just dont have the brains to do anything about it! Its a sad harsh reality but Buttervant is the brown speckle on the otherwise brilliant white underpants that is North Cork!!!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

sitout wrote: »
    Buttervant is the brown speckle on the otherwise brilliant white underpants that is North Cork!!!!!:eek:

:eek: - LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭hairymick

No ones mentioned Castletownbere.Great scenery down there as indeed in the whole Beara peninsula.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

jaymack wrote: »
    Kanturk: Actually I found it very nice on a trip there a few years ago.

I regret to inform you that kanturk has now become a knacker town :) i moved from there 5 years ago and it's changed loads.

And mala isn't full of THAT many knackers, maybe you just notice it more square_igloo since you went to the knacker school:Pnow if you went to the academy, or lived in on the right side, or in the actual town.....and i always say knackers don't bother you if they don't know your name !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I regret to inform you that kanturk has now become a knacker town :) i moved from there 5 years ago and it's changed loads.

And mala isn't full of THAT many knackers, maybe you just notice it more square_igloo since you went to the knacker school:Pnow if you went to the academy, or lived in on the right side, or in the actual town.....and i always say knackers don't bother you if they don't know your name !

Pffft...the Academy. :rolleyes: :P Our school was way better and you know it! :D
    Yeah I don't think Mallow is that bad when it comes to scumbags. They are there, definitely, but there are worse places. Mallow seems to have a bad reputation for scum though.

I never knew you lived in Kanturk btw.

Advertisement