Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best and Worst Towns in County Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

Ever notice kids in the tec in kanturk either talk like bogers or norries?

feckin hate kanturk.

mallow just has a bad name from ears ago. there is very rarely scumbags hanging around the town and even less in the pubs and clubs in mallow. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭emma-fly

Best is deffo Clonakilty

Worst is doneraile.....

Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Illkillya wrote: »
    Worst is Dunmanway for sure....

In real-life whenever this question comes up Dunmanway is almost always the most hated town... Its in "West Cork" which is good, but it is too far inland, which is bad, it also seems too flat, not enough trees, feels a bit rough, but I could be wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marissajane

The absolute worst in Mallow town on every possible level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭RoyMcC

vector wrote: »
    In real-life whenever this question comes up Dunmanway is almost always the most hated town... Its in "West Cork" which is good, but it is too far inland, which is bad, it also seems too flat, not enough trees, feels a bit rough, but I could be wrong?

Any Doheny's on here gonna defend Dunmanway? As it's the old family homestead I'm mortified to read the press it gets :( But I can't argue as I've only paid fleeting visits in recent years. But 'too flat, not enough trees' I can live with vector :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

My dad sums up Dunmanway with his little pet name for it ; Mundaneway.

There's nothing there, it's just desolute and ... stuck in a time warp! Look in any of the shop windows, they're selling stuff that was from the eighties. and wasn't even cool back then! :p

Best place? I think Durrus is nice. Although, I would have to say that because I used to live there ;)
    There's nothing to do, but that's entirely the point. You just go there, look at the amazing views and chill.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pipee

I think my favs would be Kinsale and Clon, I do also think that Cobh would be well up there if they simply removed some of the unsavoury people that live there. Buttevant and Donerale would both be in the battle for the wooden spoon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I don't think there's anywhere in Cork I've really thought "what a dump" I guess that's because I live in Dublin now and have seen a lot worse places up here.

I don't think Mallow is all bad. I'm half way between Cork city and Mallow so would know Mallow well enough. It's fine during the day but I've never seen what it's like at night. I know it was pretty rough with fights and scumbags a few years ago but from what I've heard it's improved a lot since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It's probably not the particular towns that are the problem it's the people living in those towns, I always thought Kanturk was a very "country" kind of place but I suppose that's because I don't know any of the people living there, same with Doneraile or Shanballymore, as for Mallow it always seems to be a suburb of Cork city with alot of "awrite boy" types living there........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

It's a bit rough on towns to be labelled 'worst', out of context. Most towns have advantages and disadvantages.

A really nice town is Clonakilty but it's better in summer than in winter, in terms of life/activity/buzz.

Having said that - some towns are very tidy with magnificent floral displays. Others have great schools. Others have a great selection of pubs and restaurants. Others have good facilities for young people while others have none of these.
    Before you can say best or worsdt, you need to qualify your answer, remembering all the while that all of these towns are home to somebody.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I love Clonakility. Spent a weekend there recently and had a wonderful time with all the shops and cafes etc.

I dislike Dunmanway.Always seems sot be a rough crowd around the streets when I am there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Best - Cobh

Worst - Charleville

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

grenache wrote: »
    Best - Cobh

Worst - Charleville

A pisstake?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Best would have to be Kinsale or Clon. Both are fantastic for going out. Kinsale can be expensive and crowded to an extent but go there on a Thursday night and you'll have a great night in Bacchus. Clon too is good for going out, although the Venue can be ****e.

Worst, without a shadow of a doubt Bandon. Hate the town with a passion and i can speak from experience, having gone to school there for 6 years. A very unfriendly town, some people are sound out but the majority aren't. Don't get me started on the hub, full of Paedo's and scumbags and a complete rip off. Only decent thing in Bandon is the Lidl.

Orizio wrote: »
    A pisstake?
    No, why? Any time i've been there i've enjoyed it and been impressed by it. As a Cork native though, maybe you have a greater knowledge of the town. I'm only judging it from what i have experienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bogzilla

I'm surprised nobody has given Youghal a thumbs-up!
    I'm from the city -- living in it also -- so I have no place-of-birth bias in this debate.

Youghal has just about anything you would want from a decent quality of life aspect. A town dripping with history. Fabulous beach within a stroll of the town, lovely old-world harbour, fishing, sailing. nice public parks. Some great pubs in the town and must be a dozen restaurants on the main street alone.

When I retire, I'm off down there!

totally agree. youghal is a fantastic spot.

four miles of beautiful sandy beach.

need i say more...

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

A lot of the posts seem to be based on one day visits or drive throughs. If X(nominated town) is the best town in Cork you'd be living there, wouldn't you?;)
    Disney is great crack but I wouldn't want to live there

I live in Midleton and I like the place a lot, no problem walking home at 1am on a Friday or Saturday night, good shopping, good links to cork, easy access to loads of beaches, golf, great choice of restaurants, choice of gyms, local cinema, decent schools.....and loads of blow ins like me so the town doesn't feel too clannish.

In my limited experience of other towns in Cork it stacks up well.

• Advertisement

grenache wrote: »
    No, why? Any time i've been there i've enjoyed it and been impressed by it. As a Cork native though, maybe you have a greater knowledge of the town. I'm only judging it from what i have experienced.

Cobh is chav central, but I forgot you were from Limerick so its probably a paradise to someone like yourself. :D:p

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Don't believe this thread hasn't been stopped after some of the things that have been said in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Just saying this cos I've seen some of the moderators on the GAA section getting quite touchy with some contributors for much less. Perhaps a place which is home to many people being insulted is not seen as being as bad as disagreeing with the opinion of an individual. I'm not saying this to offend, it's just an observation.

Orizio wrote: »
    Cobh is chav central, but I forgot you were from Limerick so its probably a paradise to someone like yourself. :D:p
    I live in west limerick, pretty much a chav free zone. But nice try! ;) Sure i know there are lots of travellers in Cobh, but the town from an aesthetical point of view is nice. Some beautiful buildings and a nice harbour.

*Cork City has its fair share of scobes, but if you ignore them, the city itself is terrific. The problem with Limerick City is, even when you take away the multitude of knackers, you're still left with an unsightly sh*thole with little going for it.

Johnnyjump wrote: »
    Just saying this cos I've seen some of the moderators on the GAA section getting quite touchy with some contributors for much less. Perhaps a place which is home to many people being insulted is not seen as being as bad as disagreeing with the opinion of an individual. I'm not saying this to offend, it's just an observation.

What exactly are you on about johnny? This isn't the GAA forum I may add, how things are moderating there is completely irrelevent to here.

Feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Mr Cork Man

Mallow is a nice town but youghal is my favourite.It's a charming port town with plenty of pubs and restraunts.The worst is cobh by a clear mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ciano6

passage west would get my vote. spent years passing through the place. what a knacker hole. and now badly developed as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭sneem-man

ciano6 wrote: »
    passage west would get my vote. spent years passing through the place. what a knacker hole. and now badly developed as well.
    John Spillane won't be too impressed with your comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

brucer24! wrote: »
    Best- Kinsale is up there def!!
    worst- has to be buttevant. bandon a close 2nd

why? ive been living here all my life, wouldnt live anywhere else.

macroom is the worst for me, anytime iv been in shops or the pubs there the people there were so unwelcoming

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 salome74

can anybody reccommend somewhere nice to eat in Bantry please??

Advertisement