Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostly Waterford tales.....spooky!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

You got wrong info there I’m afraid, the Infirmary was built as a leper hospital and then became a general hospital for the city and environs until it was closed in the 80’s.

The original leper hospital was situated at Stephens Street until the construction of the Infirmary. No cases of leprosy were treated at the John's Hill site, and the retention of the title was for continuity, given that it was both privately, and charitably funded.

According to staff memoirs, it functioned as a maternity unit (amongst its many other services) until the opening of Airmount, along with another lying-in unit situated at Ballybricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

efla wrote: »
    The original leper hospital was situated at Stephens Street until the construction of the Infirmary. No cases of leprosy were treated at the John's Hill site, and the retention of the title was for continuity, given that it was both privately, and charitably funded.

According to staff memoirs, it functioned as a maternity unit (amongst its many other services) until the opening of Airmount, along with another lying-in unit situated at Ballybricken.

That's interesting, where was the unit in Ballybricken?

That's interesting, where was the unit in Ballybricken?

R.H. Ryland's History, Topography and Antiquities of Waterford (1824) has some details on it, but it is also mentioned in the special report on disease produced with the census of 1851 - in both reports it seems to have been a small part of a larger building. It seems to have shut in the late nineteenth century.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it may have been along where Kervick's is - I cant remember if they supply a specific address. I had a look at the first edition 6 inch OS when we moved in, and I think it may be marked (those maps may also be online now?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

R.H. Ryland's History, Topography and Antiquities of Waterford (1824) has some details on it, but it is also mentioned in the special report on disease produced with the census of 1851 - in both reports it seems to have been a small part of a larger building. It seems to have shut in the late nineteenth century.

I'm not sure exactly, but I think it may have been along where Kervick's is - I cant remember if they supply a specific address. I had a look at the first edition 6 inch OS when we moved in, and I think it may be marked (those maps may also be online now?)

Thanks efla, you learn something new every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

prob more than likely the old besco,s site

• Advertisement

Just in case anyone is interested in exploring its ghostly origins :) -

The following is taken from table 1, Showing the locality, Date of Erection, Amount of Accommodation and Number of Patients in each of the Infirmaries, Fever, General and Special Hospitals, for the temporary reception of the sick in Ireland, compiled within Part III, Report on the status of disease, census of 1851, contains the following notes;

Name: Waterford Lying-in hospital
    Date of erection: 1838
    Accommodation: 8 (infirmary listed as 166, all 8 patients female)
    Admitted 1181 patients between 1841 and 1851

6-inch maps show a disused graveyard down toward the end of Stephen Street also...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I know someone who worked in Woodlock Nursing Home, useto be run by the Nuns, and then private ownership before it was closed, some spooky stories out of that place!

One was a baby crying in the night, not a baby near or around the place but the staff who were on nights went looking around and couldnt find a thing, Also sudden drafts doors opening and closing on their own, and lots of other weird stuff, and this came from someone who doesnt believe in that sort of thing atall atall

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭ikeano29

Imagination is a great thing:rolleyes:

Really interesting thread!

There are/were some fantastic places around the city and county for people to go and freak themselves out!

One of my favourites is the Union workhouse in Kilmac. I used to go there with my friends years ago before it was properly renovated, seriously creepy, and the the walk out to it using the old railway was great! The Protestant church there is also really creepy, especially on Halloween! :D It used to be a tradition for myself and a few of us to go up and do an Ouija board in the graveyard and trying to scare each other!

Can someone tell me more about Lady Lane? It sounds cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Someone asked was Waterford castle haunted. I never heard any stories about it however I did hear stories about that hotel out the old Kilmeadan road. Is it manor court? Can't remember the name. Anyway probably just rumours but I heard of one room that's haunted and lights go on and off and that kind of stuff. Also I heard a story about that building at the end of bunkers hill. Before it functioned as it does now apparently an old man could be seen in rooms there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 my name is haunted

magick wrote: »
    19 lady lane, any info on that? and yup Doneraile Walk and the Boat Cove at the end of the steps yup, thats what i was on about, anyone know why its knows as the haunted well ?
    people think it is haunted because people say that a little girl fell down it:):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

anybody know anything about hauntings going on in the apartments across from wyse park, they are built on the site of quaker graveyard (there is a plague on the wall that says this) a friend of a relative apparently has had strange experiences such as cups moving on their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    Someone asked was Waterford castle haunted. I never heard any stories about it however I did hear stories about that hotel out the old Kilmeadan road. Is it manor court? Can't remember the name. Anyway probably just rumours but I heard of one room that's haunted and lights go on and off and that kind of stuff. Also I heard a story about that building at the end of bunkers hill. Before it functioned as it does now apparently an old man could be seen in rooms there.

i heard the island was enchanted by fairys:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Ostrom wrote: »

Anybody able to verify that the skeleton in that hospital was that of Highwayman William Crotty?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gagonmine

I dunno I think every old building claims to have some kind of haunting, but never have any of them ever produced evidence!
    I did see on another site that there is a paranormal team doing an investigation in Waterford this week or next week. Would be interesting to know where they are heading

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Jaygon2009

I'm trying to trace three old Waterford Ghost Stories that I was told by a teacher in Primary School.

The first is the Haunting at Glencairn Abbey. This one seems to be referenced online but I can find very little info about it. I'm wondering if it has ever been published or printed?

The second was called The Ghostly Hurlers of 'Modeligo'

The third was about a with named Anne. Possibly a link to Annetown?

Any of the above ring any bells?

Advertisement