Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostly Waterford tales.....spooky!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Once, many moons ago, I was at the Ardkeen Esso petrol station on the Dunmore Road and the booger man came across the road with hubcaps and sold them to Noels carwash for a tidy sum. It was the scariest moment of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

deisedave wrote: »
    Ya most what ive heard about the infirmary is lies i would say.
    i lived in the basement apartment where the old morgue use to there used to be for 2 years and i never once heard any weird noises or anything found it a nice place to live with no weird goings on.:cool:

My mates and I used to make regular night time visits(RE pissed up on the way home from clubs) into the infirmary when it was derelict, Ive wandered around the place in the dark and Ive never seen or heard anything.

With that said, I can certainly see how the place could cause your mind to play tricks on itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 FoxyChickNic

aquanaut wrote: »
    I heard a story, even though it's not Waterford, but up behind the golf course in Newrath when they were building the new road, a worker opened the gate to a small woods when surveying for the road. Anyway for months afterwards the people up that way heard screams like a banshee in the middle of the night. It turned out that 2 sisters years ago were riding horses when they came across the same gate open, 1 girl jumped the gate on her horse, came off breaking her neck and died. The other sister had the gate locked and vowed that no-one should ever open it again. Anyway, when this story was heard / discovered, the gate was locked and the noises stopped straight away. How mad is that?

I heard this story too when they were building the new road and traffic was being diverted up that way too.

As for the house out by Carroll's Cross, I've heard tis inhabited by a Polteirgeist and I too heard that the priest who came to exorcise it got really spooked and couldn't get it out.

A lad I work with swears he saw a ghost up by the apartments by Marian Park beside where that car repair place is, it wasn't that late, around dusk and they were heading home from somewhere and they both saw the figure of a man kinda hovering rather then standing or moving. She got so freaked out she was crying for ages (don't blame her) but it'd take a lot to shake this fella and he's still pretty shook by it. This would have been about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

A friend of mine used to rent a house in the shortcourse area off barrack st about 15-18yrs ago,(the really old houses). He used to tell us some crazy stories about the place and we knew he was telling the truth. He was in the sitting room and went into the kitchen for a moment one time and when he came back the sofa he'd been sitting on was facing the opposite direction from the tv! I remember the hairs standing up on my neck when he told that story, i knew he wasn't bull****ting. He also said once or twice when in bed he'd hear the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs and stopping outside his bedroom door. He used to lie with the blanket over him terrified and praying that the door wouldn't open. Suffice to say I wouldn't go near the house ever! Have heard some spooky stories also about woodstown carpark, next to the woods. Anyone know anything there? Stories about some creature seen by people in the side mirrors at night??

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Wailin wrote: »
    A friend of mine used to rent a house in the shortcourse area off barrack st about 15-18yrs ago,(the really old houses). He used to tell us some crazy stories about the place and we knew he was telling the truth. He was in the sitting room and went into the kitchen for a moment one time and when he came back the sofa he'd been sitting on was facing the opposite direction from the tv! I remember the hairs standing up on my neck when he told that story, i knew he wasn't bull****ting. He also said once or twice when in bed he'd hear the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs and stopping outside his bedroom door. He used to lie with the blanket over him terrified and praying that the door wouldn't open. Suffice to say I wouldn't go near the house ever! Have heard some spooky stories also about woodstown carpark, next to the woods. Anyone know anything there? Stories about some creature seen by people in the side mirrors at night??

Some creature that alright.......a local peeping tom more like....use go out there years ago for a shift:o and meself and the lack copped the fecker staring in the window one night. Got a fair shock - copped him at the wrong moment as well if you know what I mean:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

jimbojazz wrote: »
    [/B]

Some creature that alright.......a local peeping tom more like....use go out there years ago for a shift:o and meself and the lack copped the fecker staring in the window one night. Got a fair shock - copped him at the wrong moment as well if you know what I mean:cool:
    That wasnt me it was a ghost...

I mean what?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Haha yeah......haunted by peeping toms, used to go there too....great place for an aul grope:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

That ghost that shifted the couch, maybe his unfinished business is he lost something down the back of the couch?
    jimbojazz wrote: »
    [/B]

Yeah, there are fair few stories about Woodstown alright and dogging. It was in the papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Sure Woodstown is notorious for dogging,did the ghost have a hard on?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Ma: "What do you be doin out in Woodstown with that yung wan this late?"
    Son: "Ghost huntin' mammy I swear ta god!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

I heard this story too when they were building the new road and traffic was being diverted up that way too.
    QUOTE]

Thats strange, i was one of the surveyors on that site and never heard this, and i worked around the Newrath area a good bit.

Also living in the infirmary, I can say it does play some tricks on your mind at times when you hear strange noises.

But i will say it here and prob gonna be laughed at but i was lying in bed early one morning and heard a small child saying 'mammy help me, help me mammy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 M.Pellet

A friend of mine used to live in 19 lady lane for a number of years and i often stayed there without noticing anything out of the ordinary.
    It was him who drew the Phantom Caller on the doorway further down the road btw.

Back in the mid 90's the old hospital was derelict and we managed to salvage some bones from there which were reputed to be from William Crotty the highwayman whose body was gibbeted and exhibted there for many years.

There were parts of the old hospital that were eerie in the extreme and some corridors had obvioulsy remained unused for decades,leaving a very strange atmosphere about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "old hospital" on Lady Lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 M.Pellet

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but what is the "old hospital" on Lady Lane?

Dunno if there is one..i was talking about the old leper hospital further out..think it was called the city and general at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sonyvision

heres 1 i dont know much info about this but did some research through google and some other sites bored 1 night, but there is a massive house just out towards kilmeadon by the sweep garage from the cork road.

http://members.fortunecity.com/chtii/irish/pwford.htm

Scroll down that page and look for withfield court, waterford.
    1 of the lads made me take a stroll down to it 1 day, not sure if its haunted or nothing but its deserted now but you can still get in through the back of the house, its massive !!!!!!! and well hiden from the road. should take a walk if your bored worth a visit ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

How exactly do you get to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

sonyvision wrote: »
    heres 1 i dont know much info about this but did some research through google and some other sites bored 1 night, but there is a massive house just out towards kilmeadon by the sweep garage from the cork road.

1 of the lads made me take a stroll down to it 1 day, not sure if its haunted or nothing but its deserted now but you can still get in through the back of the house, its massive !!!!!!! and well hiden from the road. should take a walk if your bored worth a visit ;)

I don't like the way you winked at the end of that message... like you know something will happen if one of us goes there!! :D either that I'm totally freaked from reading the whole thread... the house does look very interesting though, perhaps a visit is in order! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

I was taking a spin with the current girlfriend at the time, was 04 or 05 but we were heading in the direction of the sweep just after the turn off for Tramore when you go down the dip and just before where the old bike show used to go on. It was driving rain and all of a sudden my headlights shined up what I can only describe as a freaky figure. It was an old man with a big grey beard sorta like the guy from the old birdseye ad's and he had a big rain coat on which I think was yellow. Now I know you may be thinking along the lines of I know what you did last summer but this guy stood in against the ditch and I remember saying to the ex that is that guy crazy that he will get killed as I has to move out to avoid him. But as I went past him and even as I write this my I get that feeling in my eyes when im just not comfortable and a little but spooked. But anyways we drove by and did a U-turn at the turn in for the field to the bike show as there are a few houses there, could'nt be 100 yards past the guy and went back to see if he was okay or even there and there was nothing. I bricked it because there are no houses he could have got to, no entrances or gates to fields or gaps in the ditch. All I can remember is him looking at us in the driving rain and I get shivers.

Does anyone know of any poor guy killed in that section of road ?? I know a few bikers have had serious accidents there and maybe died and the image of the firgue I saw wouldnt be a million miles away from the biker look.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Its hard to descride drive out the cork road towards the sweep, just about 200 meters before the sweep you pass a building on the right its like a power house, and on the left there is a small watch house/ bungalow which is borarded up, it has black gates that are locked, jump the wall and walk down the farmers lane for about 5 mins and it brings you to get front of the house....

The scary bit is the pure size of the house and the condiction of the out side. Google it and let me know if you take a trip :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Its hard to descride drive out the cork road towards the sweep, just about 200 meters before the sweep you pass a building on the right its like a power house, and on the left there is a small watch house/ bungalow which is borarded up, it has black gates that are locked, jump the wall and walk down the farmers lane for about 5 mins and it brings you to get front of the house....

The scary bit is the pure size of the house and the condiction of the out side. Google it and let me know if you take a trip :-)
    it has sentry security board on the gate

• Advertisement

has anyone ever heard the stories about the house that there building around at the taffic lights at the junction on the manor when your heading for tesco poleberry tis right beside the order of malta, the gf was telling me that its meant to be haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

When I was a kid my family owned and ran Caulfields on Lower Yellow Road. I used to spend summers there in the 60's and early 70's and was told over and over that the upstairs bedrooms were haunted by somebody named Willem Veech. Now, I don't know if it was just my relations and stone mad foookin cousins havin a go at the little Yank, but it used to scare the pizz out of me going up those stairs at night to go to bed.

Anybody know who this supposed ghost might have been?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sashiee

The Infirmary really is haunted,
    My gran was a midwife and she used to do some paperwork inthe infirmary in late 80's early 90's, I would have only been a baba, but she has told me stories about just how haunted that place is.

She would be in the building on her own and a bell would always ring from a room upstairs so my gran would go up and knowing that there is a presence there she would just talk in the room and say that everything is alright, and one day she went up and there was a black raven at the window bashing into the glass.......

Also, what creeps me out even more is that my first bed was a salvage from the infirmary ...it was about 3 ft long and about 100 years old......

• Registered Users Posts: 37,773 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Is Waterford Castle haunted ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Sashiee wrote: »
    The Infirmary really is haunted,
    My gran was a midwife and she used to do some paperwork inthe infirmary in late 80's early 90's, I would have only been a baba, but she has told me stories about just how haunted that place is.

She would be in the building on her own and a bell would always ring from a room upstairs so my gran would go up and knowing that there is a presence there she would just talk in the room and say that everything is alright, and one day she went up and there was a black raven at the window bashing into the glass.......

Also, what creeps me out even more is that my first bed was a salvage from the infirmary ...it was about 3 ft long and about 100 years old......

We're living in it now and haven't heard a peep :)

Given that the infirmary functioned as a central maternity unit for most of its life, I find it comforting to think of its long history of positivity. And I was treated in there as a baba.

Is it only recently abandoned - the photos look as if it is still in use?

Is it the entrance beside the fork in the road just before the sweep (heading toward Cork) which would bring you up toward Mt. Congreve?

efla wrote: »
    Is it only recently abandoned - the photos look as if it is still in use?

Is it the entrance beside the fork in the road just before the sweep (heading toward Cork) which would bring you up toward Mt. Congreve?
    ye thats where he,s on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

is whitfield still accessible? we were there around ten times last summer. not once did i ever feel it was haunted, even in the pitch dark

Are there two houses on the site - if so, what state is the more recent house in now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

efla wrote: »
    We're living in it now and haven't heard a peep :)

Given that the infirmary functioned as a central maternity unit for most of its life, I find it comforting to think of its long history of positivity. And I was treated in there as a baba.

You got wrong info there I’m afraid, the Infirmary was built as a leper hospital and then became a general hospital for the city and environs until it was closed in the 80’s.

Advertisement