Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The general chit-chat thread [READ THE FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING HERE]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭DenMan

Good luck in Galway guys, I hope you enjoy your time there. Like sueme said if something does come up I will try and make myself available. Hope you enjoy your new journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Well, I hope to be finished work by the 22nd and in Galway by the 29th so I think the 22nd would suit better

Mr Xiney might not be able to make it, he's got a lot of work to do before we head off. But hopefully he'd be able to take a few hours off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

Ok then, 22nd August it is! Can't wait, going to phone sitter this morning. Where's your favourite pub Xiney?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Mrs.T wrote: »
    Ok then, 22nd August it is! Can't wait, going to phone sitter this morning. Where's your favourite pub Xiney?

Ooooh, have ooodles of fun! I won't be back 'till the following day unfortuneately :( Someone randomly rant at Xiney about Canada for me! And about Galway - they're my two favourite places. ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Pah, the day before the Warriors Run :mad:

• Advertisement

Mrs.T wrote: »

Actually I like Furey's :P

But anywhere would suit just fine to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Xiney wrote: »
    Well, I hope to be finished work by the 22nd and in Galway by the 29th so I think the 22nd would suit better

Mr Xiney might not be able to make it, he's got a lot of work to do before we head off. But hopefully he'd be able to take a few hours off :)
    Im only after reading this. Are you two going to Galway permanently or just a break?

We're moving there - so long as I can find a @#$%ing apartment that accepts cats and isn't a hovel. That venn diagram has an almost non-existant intersection, let me tell you....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

evening all, can see a 3rd beers night in the making, will you be taking the sauce that night xiney

seems quite a bit more interest in this one, even more so than the first two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

fozzle wrote: »
    Ooooh, have ooodles of fun! I won't be back 'till the following day unfortuneately :( Someone randomly rant at Xiney about Canada for me! And about Galway - they're my two favourite places. ^_^

I accept your challenge Fozzie Wozzie.

• Advertisement

<pops head around door>

hello, hello, anyone here, mmm, kinda quiet

I'm around...

thoroughly depressing day of looking at apartments and job ads on the 'net.

I wish things would just magically fall into my lap. I'm so sick of all the upheaval, all the time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,776 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm around.. but about to watch 'Hot Fuzz'. Watched 'Shaun Of The Dead' for the.... must be 410th time last night so 'Hot Fuzz' was the logical next choice! :D

I'm around...

thoroughly depressing day of looking at apartments and job ads on the 'net.

I wish things would just magically fall into my lap. I'm so sick of all the upheaval, all the time :(

have you tried some of the galway newspapers xiney, some of them can be viewed online, might see something there not on the job sites or daft.ie (property and apartments)

basquille wrote: »
    I'm around.. but about to watch 'Hot Fuzz'. Watched 'Shaun Of The Dead' for the.... must be 410th time last night so 'Hot Fuzz' was the logical next choice! :D

lying here watching the matador

irish-stew wrote: »
    lying here watching the matador
    Not a bad film.. Brosnan is great in it, as is Kinnear.

it is brilliant

very funny as well, when was it made, its miles away from his bond character

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I have been away in Galway all day and I'm just home.

Xiney,you will love it down there,there is so much happening,I wish you the best of luck down there and finding somewhere to live and whatnot.

irish-stew wrote: »
    it is brilliant

very funny as well, when was it made, its miles away from his bond character
    Made in 2005.. saw it when it first came out and really impressed me. Very witty script alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

I watched the start of it, and got a bit bored of it. Watched mail order brides on Sky one instead. Couldn't really watch brosnan - he looked a lot like an awful poof in it. that 'tache was too much for me

Hmm, it was a bit quite round here earlier on wasn't it?............
    .....................................................................................
    ......................................................................................
    ....................................................................................
    .....................................................................................
    ................ Yore Ma!

That is all.

• Advertisement

Xiney - the best way of accomodation hunting in Galway is to be outside the door of the Galway Adverstiser office on a Wednesday morning when it opens. The paper comes out on Thursday but if you call in on a Wednesday they'll hand you the accomodation pages (and yes, it's free). If you can manage it at all you (or someone you trust will have to be there next Wednesday 'cos once the Leaving results come out the older students think "oh bugger yeah, time to head back" and the queue for it in the morning is down the street and around the corner.

Also, you need to have your deposit in hand and ready to go - even if it means borrowing from the bank. It's no difficulty to find tenants in Galway so landlords will happily turn away anyone who can't hand over the dosh on the spot.

Best of luck! If I hear of anywhere I'll let you know, though it'd be more likely sharing a house than an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I had to that this time 2 years ago,doors open at 2pm on Wednesday I think but people start queing from before 12.
    As far as I can remember,they charge €2 for the accommodation list on Wednesdays but the newspaper on a Thursday is free.

Ah yes, I think you're right about the 2 euro - my apologies Xiney. It's 7 years since I did it so I forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

What ever happened to Starbelgrad? He was keeping this place afloat at one stage with his constant thread starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

What ever happened to Starbelgrad? He was keeping this place afloat at one stage with his constant thread starting.

Thats what I was wondering. Maybe he hasnt got broadband yet in his new place.

fozzle wrote: »
    Xiney - the best way of accomodation hunting in Galway is to be outside the door of the Galway Adverstiser office on a Wednesday morning when it opens. The paper comes out on Thursday but if you call in on a Wednesday they'll hand you the accomodation pages (and yes, it's free). If you can manage it at all you (or someone you trust will have to be there next Wednesday 'cos once the Leaving results come out the older students think "oh bugger yeah, time to head back" and the queue for it in the morning is down the street and around the corner.

Also, you need to have your deposit in hand and ready to go - even if it means borrowing from the bank. It's no difficulty to find tenants in Galway so landlords will happily turn away anyone who can't hand over the dosh on the spot.

Best of luck! If I hear of anywhere I'll let you know, though it'd be more likely sharing a house than an apartment.

Jesus, thanks for the tip! I'm going down to Galway next Wednesday actually already so that's perfect!

wow. no idea it was so cut throat though.

Also - would the landlords allow me to visit an atm or do I need to be carrying 900 euro in cash with me? I don't really like the idea of being in a strange city with that much money in the pocket... single lone female in a city she doesn't know..... I'd better stop talking now before someone decides to follow me and mug me :(

Also, if you guys aren't watching the opening of the bejing olympics, turn on the TV

holy jesus.

Also, if you guys aren't watching the opening of the bejing olympics, turn on the TV

holy jesus.

Yep we are watching it.

best opening ceremonies I've ever seen.

those drummers.... I wonder how many of them there were?!

• Advertisement

best opening ceremonies I've ever seen.

those drummers.... I wonder how many of them there were?!

I'm just worried about their eye sight!! All those flashing lights.:D

Advertisement