Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on the Borris Fair

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

Sully wrote: »
    May I remind everyone that racisist remarks or bashing groups is not permitted on Boards.

Didn't know the Travelling community were a different race?!?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There not, but a lot of people think they are. I have to explain in such terms to those with, eh, less intelligence. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

LOL LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Course they are. Have you seen how they live?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

testicle; Your pushing your luck in this thread. If you step out of line, your ban will be longer simply because I have personally addressed you. Keep to the topic and less of the ****e. Questions about this? PM. No further off-topic ****e thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

This thread should be locked IMO, cant see anything positive coming out of it, nothing but an inevitable string of yellow cards and bans. I share the views of some of the above posters but boards isnt the place to air them, I know if I did id be serving a lifetime siteban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Actually i think it should be kept open will be interested to hear if the fair is any different then previous years heard mary white on the radio today saying they had skips organised and they had portaloo's in place....so maybe fingers crossed this will be a turn a round for the fair

racso1975 wrote: »
    Actually i think it should be kept open will be interested to hear if the fair is any different then previous years heard mary white on the radio today saying they had skips organised and they had portaloo's in place....so maybe fingers crossed this will be a turn a round for the fair

:rolleyes:.......gotta admire the optimism I suppose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Portaloos ???

Do people usually go to the toilet in the street at this thing or what?

Regardless of what type of event it is, people should be allowed discuss it without a small group of narrow minded kids shouting abuse and spoiling it. Anybody who does, will be banned. Anybody who pushes their luck on purpose, will be banned for even longer.

Anyway... carry on..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

shut it down! we have been under siege here in rivercourt in Carlow for several weeks now as the council dragged their heels in removing approximately 20 caravans and the unsavoury people dwelling in them from where they had camped on the roadway!

not to mention the dogs and verbal abuse and illegal maneuvers of cars doing handbrake turns at night and then the whole lot of them using the river as a toilet and fires burning almost every night releasing toxic fumes from electrical cable they are extracting copper from!

almost every van has ladders on the roof and these are used for gaining access to building sites and derelict houses where copper is taken. it is a disgrace that this has not been stopped before now. overnight camping should be banned everywhere nationwide without a special permit.

i am not anti traveller and hate the use of derogotory terms in relation to anyone but breaking the law should not be tolerated in this way by police and councils who think it is easier and cheaper to ignore hard working people that have bought their own homes and are left to fend for themselves against an army of travellers

testicle wrote: »
    Portaloos ???

Do people usually go to the toilet in the street at this thing or what?

Yes. They do

Anyways, I think the thread should be closed down. Because Normal comments can even be interperated as 'racist' so its pretty pointless. The discussion is meant to be what you think of the Borris Fair, and unless you agree with it, what can you say thats not going to be taken up in the wrong way?!

Indeed the topic is on the Borris Fair and not about travellers. Lets stick simply to that.

Sully wrote: »
    Indeed the topic is on the Borris Fair and not about travellers. Lets stick simply to that.

Yes but....the Borris Fair is The Annual Travellers Fair...I'm not makin that up like, thats my point. How can you talk about the Borris Fair without talking about Travellers....my God this is pointless

Yes but....the Borris Fair is The Annual Travellers Fair...I'm not makin that up like, thats my point. How can you talk about the Borris Fair without talking about Travellers....my God this is pointless

Many ways. You don't have to talk specifically about travellers and start a big rant full of insults and derogatory terms. You can talk about how the event benefits/affects the town, the history behind it, what happens, etc.

Just because its an event for Travellers, does not mean it can not be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Right lads, Let's get this thread back on topic becasue as a lot of people have already said it is just going to lead into a petty dispute. If you read the original post by myself i did say what are your thoughts on the borris fair not on the people at it. I wanted to know what you thought about the way it affected the village of borris, and what were the possible solutions to this or alternatives that people could suggest. I never once asked what people's opinions were of the travelling community that would be present at the fair because i didn't want the thread to deteriorate into rash un-thought out or backed up comments about the travelling community which to be fair are an easy target for a large majority of the population.

Can we please head back on track please.:)

Yes. They do

Anyways, I think the thread should be closed down. Because Normal comments can even be interperated as 'racist' so its pretty pointless.

Nail on head IMO, this thread should be locked.

Sully, I know you have your duties as a mod but its unfair to label the critics around here as "narrow minded kids", these posters can only be accused of being naive about what they post on a public forum. I dont know if you live in Carlow, but Im pretty sure 99% of people I know from the county are narrow minded by your definition. I could give you a list of FACTS as long as your arm to justify the level of disdain felt towards the travelling community, but I wont, because I would be banned, and rightfully so. The ban would only be right because boards is not the place to discuss it, that however doesnt make peoples comments any less valid.
    You say this thread is about discussing the Borris fair, then ask yourself why isnt there a thread on the Tullow Show which is on this weekend? This thread was started to see what people felt about the arrival of a large amount of travellers in a small country village. How do you or anybody else think anything other than racist or negative remarks can come from this thread?
    Actually, I dont care if its locked or not, think ill just try steer clear of the auld racism.

stick-dan wrote: »
    As i am sure most of you here are aware every year a small village in county carlow, Borris, hosts a fair on the 15th of August. The fair which has become a popular event for a large population of the travelling community leaves the normally extremely clean village of Borris in an absolute shambles of a state. Every year the village is extremely littered, businesses close down for the day, pubs go into lock-down state and the a mini environmental crisis unfolds.

Now all being said the town does get extremely littered and the travelling community do seem to take the majority of the stick for it and perhaps rightly so
    but surely some of the blame must be placed elsewhere for allowing the fair to happen. There is already a notable presence in surrounding townlands of irregular amounts of travelling community families particularly in Bagenalstown which saw the arrival of about 50 caravans onto the old royal oak meats site.

What are people's thoughts on the fair?Should it be stopped? If not, why? If yes, Why and How?Is it Fair the council have to pay men to operate a minimum of one digger and half a dozen workers to clear the streets of the rubbish left from the aftermath of the fair?
    stick-dan wrote: »
    Right lads, Let's get this thread back on topic becasue as a lot of people have already said it is just going to lead into a petty dispute. If you read the original post by myself i did say what are your thoughts on the borris fair not on the people at it. I wanted to know what you thought about the way it affected the village of borris, and what were the possible solutions to this or alternatives that people could suggest. I never once asked what people's opinions were of the travelling community that would be present at the fair because i didn't want the thread to deteriorate into rash un-thought out or backed up comments about the travelling community which to be fair are an easy target for a large majority of the population.

Can we please head back on track please.:)

Ah Dan....

Did you really expect that to happen?:rolleyes: Really?

As per Dans orders - stay on topic. Any further questions can be taken to either of us via PM. Any further off comment remarks will get you removed from the forum. Strict, but needed.

eddiehead wrote: »
    You say this thread is about discussing the Borris fair, then ask yourself why isnt there a thread on the Tullow Show which is on this weekend? This thread was started to see what people felt about the arrival of a large amount of travellers in a small country village. How do you or anybody else think anything other than racist or negative remarks can come from this thread?
    +1

• Advertisement

Anyway, I'm not even gonna look at this thread anymore, cause its getting me all rattled up. See ya!

+1

As you wish.

HoneyButterfly banned for one week for going off topic. Iv asked, and so has stick-dan, countless times to get back on topic. Iv already stated anyone who ignores this will be banned. Stick to the topic at hand folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

all those rural village fairs should be stopped for public safety reasons if nothing else, not to mention animal welfare issues and the total disrution to so many villagers from the great onslought of people attending.

they could be moved to the middle of nowhere where traders can park up with their stalls and visitors will have plenty of parking in adjoining fields and above all there will be plenty of room for people to mill around safely. and the traders who make a fortune at there fairs should have to pay a clean-up fee before they are licensced/allowed to attend.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    all those rural village fairs should be stopped for public safety reasons if nothing else, not to mention animal welfare issues and the total disrution to so many villagers from the great onslought of people attending.

they could be moved to the middle of nowhere where traders can park up with their stalls and visitors will have plenty of parking in adjoining fields and above all there will be plenty of room for people to mill around safely. and the traders who make a fortune at there fairs should have to pay a clean-up fee before they are licensced/allowed to attend.

I know little about the fair, but from reading posts and the odd news article, I do think its an unusual one to have. It should be moved out of the way so there is more room and better access. Its fairer on everyone this way and is a nice balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

ShayK1 wrote: »

sucks for boris that the fair happens on the main street, mayhaps if they used a large field like the Tullow and Tinahely shows it would be less noticable to the general public.

Read Page 1 of this thread, I said that AGES ago!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭fits

as far as I remember there is some ancient victorian law allowing for a fair on the streets of borris every Aug 15th.

The fair is a problem though. The local community have absolutely no involvement in it and for people living in the town, they are almost literally locked into their homes for a couple of days around the fair. It is a huge inconvenience with almost zero local profit to be made from it as all the shops and pubs feel it necessary to close down. Some homes and businesses have to make security precautions to prevent entry or damage to their premises around the time of the fair also.

I just dont know how anyone can justify this fair. But noone seems to be able to do anything about it.

So ya, it seems according to todays Indo that the fair was a little bit more of a sucess this year and the rubbish was cut down by a very large amount (more then half of last years amount) and the council had it cleaned up in the early hours of the morning. Businesses still closed but I can see why - travellers have a history of thieving so I suppose they couldnt be trusted. Such a shame they had to close tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

It wasn't actually too bad this year although there was some isolated cases. I have pictures of the fair that i'll upload to my pix.ie account and post here. Well they are of the night before but it shows how the town becomes hostage to such a massive influx of people and how it battened down the hatches and erected security fencing everywhere. A work collegue passed through it the morning after and said that the rubbish was evident but not any where as near out of control as last year. Seems there were isolated cases though where opportunistic dumpers through rubbish all over the pitch of borris primary school and how the parish church yard was used as a dumping ground for people's excretion. Some of these cases make for bad press but this year apparently litter wise was not as bad as previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭mattman

Why is it...

A : If I moved into Borris and parked my caravan, I would be asked to leave or I'd be brought to court? (even for 3 days)
    B: they can move in for 3 days and block the MAIN road ? And not told to move?

A: If I was got for throwing a news paper or other, I would be fined ?
    B: They can dump TONS(actually TONS) and get away Scott free?

A: Business ALL close down, why should I have to put up with that ?
    B: WHY do business close down when "they" are around?
    Call a spade a spade...you all know the answer to that..

A: How come they pay no Taxes ? And I pay to the hilt?
    b: They don't. No address...

I must be stupid, putting up with all this...

WHOS DISCRIMINATING ?

Think Ill set up a fair myself in Borris. I presume I'll get away with dumping, closing business, fencing off the streets, diverted traffic, etc .. . . . ..

........?

• Advertisement

matt: According to the thread title, its "Thoughts on the Borris Fair" and not "Thoughts on Travellers".

I think we would all appreciate if you could do just that, and stop the general bashing of travellers in the process. :)

Sound.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement