Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms and Convective Potential (Dublin Floods 9/8/08)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

A little bit of development over Wicklow with a possible bearing on Dublin? This seems a so close yet so far situation again:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Holy sh*t an awful lot of IC strikes on snowbies detector....still quiet here in the NE but looks like it's edging this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Rumble of thunder here and some very heavy rain- fields are completely waterlogged.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

here in trim.capured a forming tornado on video.will upload as soon as possible.lots of rotation and mamatus clouds about aswell as wall clouds.looking very bad towards navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

here in trim.capured a forming tornado on video.will upload as soon as possible.lots of rotation and mamatus clouds about aswell as wall clouds.looking very bad towards navan
    Well your pretty much smack bang in the middle of where TORRO said one might occur today. Lucky you!:D

• Advertisement

I'm seeing some pretty dramatic swirling clouds in the Dunshaughlin direction too- I'll upload some pics
    http://www.torro.org.uk/torro/forecast/index.php

P1080513 (Large).JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

local radio aere sayin flooding near Newcastle West, that town hit by the major floods last thursday. jaysus

Hearing a lot of rumbles in Dundalk now, but seems we have a forcefiled of sorts...main body looks like it could stay inland...oh another deep long rumble...no lightning seen yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Damomanye wrote: »
    local radio aere sayin flooding near Newcastle West, that town hit by the major floods last thursday. jaysus

Not again :(

Black as night here now, but no sign of any rain. Couple of faint rumbles Tuam direction 30 mins ago, but all gone again.

A decent rumble just there! but still too far. :(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Snowbie wrote: »
    One positive out of this is that i can see some explosive convection now over the West Dublin and into Meath moving NE.
    Some nice angry skies.

Recording another time lapse of that :D This is the current view:

IMG_00496_thumb.jpg

Also looks like a heavy shower passing just east of here.

Rain strating heavy now, good few intracloud flashes and sharp blasts of thunder...still murky as hell though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Wertz wrote: »
    Rain strating heavy now, good few intracloud flashes and sharp blasts of thunder...still murky as hell though
    That cell has just died and was dying over the last 15mins.
    30 miles SW of you and it was a very healthy storm.

Over 400 strikes from that beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 CIDK

rc28 wrote: »
    I'm seeing some pretty dramatic swirling clouds in the Dunshaughlin direction too- I'll upload some pics
    http://www.torro.org.uk/torro/forecast/index.php

P1080513 (Large).JPG

Looks like an inflow trail cloud to me. I'm no expert though. Great pic!

I often suspected that this place was cursed with regards thunderstorms (amongst many other things), but the latest radar has just confirmed my suspicions:

APPLE.gif

Notice the perfect circular clear spot I am under. I think witchcraft is playing a large part in this. Not one single drop of rain despite end of the world cloudscapes. Raining all around me, everywhere, but not here. Thunder has ceased as well.

Roll on winter. And destroy this place with storm. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yup, I see Dublin's in a forcefield too. I'm off to have a word with our local weather gods, Rainius and Mistius. Where's Zeus when you need him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭highdef

Massive CBs going up to the northwest and north of me. have the camera recording them. They flew up. Those clouds in Meath look really nasty. I'm awaiting a rumble of thunder now. Looking good

Confab wrote: »
    Yup, I see Dublin's in a forcefield too. I'm off to have a word with our local weather gods, Rainius and Mistius. Where's Zeus when you need him?

When you see them, kick 'em in the nuts. Hard. Then do it again. Saying it is from me.

Then kick them to death. :mad:

Lol Paddy.

@Highdef, they sure have exploded up. Nice side on view of them here with lots of nice cirrus intortus overhead in the dry slot. These CB's are maturing nicely still as there is lots of nice high dry air aloft across the east.

Edit: It looks like it's lashing near you as i can see the rain shadow from here and it's moving ENE now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭squonk

We've got mist here. Missing out on all the fun... :(

An awful lot of rotation and swirling of clouds and steam/mist at low levels as that passed through, really strange to see the low level cloud moving SW as the higher clouds went NE, the anvil is passing overhead now but no mammatus :(...haven't seen anything like that in a while, got some pic and video, have a look and see if there's anything worth uplaoding...we did end up with a few more strikes but the mountains seem to kill what was left of it. Raining lightly now.

squonk wrote: »
    We've got mist here. Missing out on all the fun... :(

Maybe not. Check out the clash of airmasses over Ireland right now:

sat-2045-20080806-161-188.gif

Low feeding from the SE, occlusion to the NW. Land low in the middle!

Could well be a lively night for some (NE half of country more especially).

Thunderstorm back on here, with explosive cloudscapes to the south and east again. Clear to the north west.

Edit. Approx 2 rumbles a minute now, clouds becoming increasingly nasty to the east, but clear spot making bee line for here.

Sky now obscured here with a cell just to my NW. Radar shows the closeness of all this to me but not a whisper and not a drop of rain since this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Not a breath of wind here, getting very humid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like everything is becoming de-electrified very quickly!?!:(

Snowbie wrote: »
    Sky now obscured here with a cell just to my NW. Radar shows the closeness of all this to me but not a whisper and not a drop of rain since this morning.

Look beyond S, there is a trail that is moving ever closer to you. Showing no sign of dying at all!

Storm to the east is moving very rapidly away. No wind but clouds are moving very fast towards the southeast. Nice clearence all but upon me now.

I've seen better. :rolleyes:

@ DOCARCH, Yep convergence is not being aided by surface heating. Cloud tops are not getting high enough it seems even though i witnessed a Cb exploding half hour ago before low cloud rolled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Looks like the skies are about to open here in Balbriggan. The low clouds overhead are moving from the south, as they have been all day, but I can see other low clouds at similar height not far west of here moving from the northwest! Always an onimous sign weatherwise!icon10.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah, it's getting very overcast here now as well. Very still here atm. Wouldn't surprise me if it absolutely bucketed it out of the blue now.

Advertisement