Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

angel01 wrote: »
    I am sorry but finding your opinions very demeaning and downright insulting to people who are suffering from domestic abuse.

Ah come on... did any of that look realistic?? Saying "if you were affected by any of the issues" is akin to saying "our scenes are soo realistic, it may evoke traumatic memories from your past" ... The scene with Suzanne and Damian was a very poor scene, and nothing mildly comparable to ANY real life situation or how real people would react.. as was the previous scene with her beating him with a ...ehhh... :confused: ..what was it she beat him with again.. a lump of wood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Ah come on... did any of that look realistic?? Saying "if you were affected by any of the issues" is akin to saying "our scenes are soo realistic, it may evoke traumatic memories from your past" ... The scene with Suzanne and Damian was a very poor scene, and nothing mildly comparable to ANY real life situation or how real people would react.. as was the previous scene with her beating him with a ...ehhh... :confused: ..what was it she beat him with again.. a lump of wood?

Yes it does, not all abuse is physical. I have been through it and never admitted it to anyone (yes I know I am saying it now on a forum) but I am saying that it can be mental, it can be physical, it simmers away under the surface. I didn't hit back. I was possibly like Damien, I cowered and hoped it would stop. I was scared, I was frightened and I just wished it would stop. I never knew when it would start, when it would finish, I loved the person and just wanted them to stop. It wasn't like that from day 1 (just like Suzanne & Damien).

You can be beaten with anything, simply your hand, a punch, a piece of wood, a chair, anything.

When you have been through that, your opinion may change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Some of the people on your list were off-screen for a good while before the character was revived. I imagine that's when it's hardest to get people to come back.

Yes, fair point.

On the other hand take the character of Jed Stone (played by Kenneth Cope) in Coronation Street. Last seen in 1966. Returns to the Street 42 years later - in autumn 2008 - and still played by Kenneth Cope. :)

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Yes, fair point.

On the other hand take the character of Jed Stone (played by Kenneth Cope) in Coronation Street. Last seen in 1966. Returns to the Street 42 years later - in autumn 2008 - and still played by Kenneth Cope. :)

Fair City isn't going that long yet. Give them time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

Its not easy. He loves Suzanne and he is threatened by her. Why do you think most partners stay when they are being abused. If you haven't been in the situation, don't judge.

i've been in that situation before and i GTFO! (eventually) no way was i gonna stand for that anymore!

the shouting and throwing things was quite real... but when she started batin him in the back it looked a bit silly... but i know she can't whack him for real! part of me was mortified that she kept batin him but the other half was kinda laughing. (because of what it looked like!! not to take away from the seriousness of it or anything)

poor damien... all he could do was sit there and take it cowering....
    in the previews for tomorrow's show, it was like she showed no remorse. she's really eating everybody's faces off lately. she needs to see a psychologist! she deffo needs some help... she's gonna go mental!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Suzanne pisses me of so much!!

I am bored and made this :) :

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

deelite wrote: »

I'm trying desperately to imagine myself in Suzanne's position and I can see where she's coming from everywhere she looks there's Nessa (stunningly beautiful), she has to cope with the whole Doyle family (including nursing fees), and she wants to believe Damien will be honest but he's not being totally upfront (money from McCoys job).

I'm surprised more people don't agree..I know mostly everyone really hates Suzanne for the abuse she's unleashing on Damien right now and in no way am I condoning this but that girl has had all this stuff building up inside & it was only a matter of time before she was going to explode. The stress of trying to support them as well as her mother, the miscarriage, Damien's lazyness, his lies, his affair. She has finally exploded and I don't think she has control over her actions anymore. So while I hate what she's doing I can see how she got to that point and I'm glad FC spent time building up to this storyline.
    Wasn't sure about tonights episode...thought she would have lost it at the fact he lied about the money more than the lack of pasta.
    I don't know if he'll tell anyone either, I think someone will find out..my guess is Dean, I think he's going to suss something is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

greenie wrote: »
    I'm surprised more people don't agree..I know mostly everyone really hates Suzanne for the abuse she's unleashing on Damien right now and in no way am I condoning this but that girl has had all this stuff building up inside & it was only a matter of time before she was going to explode. The stress of trying to support them as well as her mother, the miscarriage, Damien's lazyness, his lies, his affair. She has finally exploded and I don't think she has control over her actions anymore. So while I hate what she's doing I can see how she got to that point and I'm glad FC spent time building up to this storyline.
    Wasn't sure about tonights episode...thought she would have lost it at the fact he lied about the money more than the lack of pasta.
    I don't know if he'll tell anyone either, I think someone will find out..my guess is Dean, I think he's going to suss something is up.

I think there's a lot in what you say. Maybe his lie about the money was the thing that was simmering away, and anything else would have pushed her over the edge.

According to Suzanne, Damien lies about everything, believe me you can be beaten from forgetting something, dropping something, doing anything wrong. Not cooking something to perfection. It is possible and it is not easy to leave.

When you love someone, you love them faults and all and taking that step to either resolve the issues or leave, is very tough.

I think it is even harder to admit when it is a man and you are supposed to be that strong tough guy and to admit you are being abused is a very difficult thing to admit.

I think Suzanne and Damien are doing a wonderful job with this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Well I think the acting is awful - and with ref to my previous remark, I meant Carol & Christy, as in Carol being the violent one in the relationship, not christy.

I'm a big fan of FC - love it. But sometimes they introduce story lines that never sit well with me - Detective Deegan living with Ray for example:rolleyes:. Because your local Dectective is going to move into a flat-share, with your local mechanic:rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with Jonathan - the issue of domestic violence is such a serious one and one that has touched many people - and the writers aren't doing the topic, any justice, in my opinion. And that's all this is...my opinion.

• Advertisement

Fittle wrote: »
    Well I think the acting is awful - and with ref to my previous remark, I meant Carol & Christy, as in Carol being the violent one in the relationship, not christy.

I'm a big fan of FC - love it. But sometimes they introduce story lines that never sit well with me - Detective Deegan living with Ray for example:rolleyes:. Because your local Dectective is going to move into a flat-share, with your local mechanic:rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with Jonathan - the issue of domestic violence is such a serious one and one that has touched many people - and the writers aren't doing the topic, any justice, in my opinion. And that's all this is...my opinion.

Why wouldn't he live with Ray? they are friends. who would you suggest he lives with? Eileen Bishop? Bela Doyle? or maybe Leo?

Most of the time it seems Jennifer lives with him so its 3 in the flat :D

Tell me ANYWHERE on the northside of Dublin where you have the top Detecitive in the local garda station, (who would be earning a hefty salary) living or being bezzie mates, with the local mechanic (who also happens to have the intelligence of a bumblebee - tho I love Ray:D)????

Tell me ANYWHERE on the northside of Dublin where you have the top Detecitive in the local garda station, (who would be earning a hefty salary) living or being bezzie mates, with the local mechanic (who also happens to have the intelligence of a bumblebee - tho I love Ray:D)????

What does it matter how much you earn in order to be friends? friendship knows no bounds, you don't have to earn a certain salary or be on a certain education level to be friends. That to me is plain snobbery.

'Fair City' star Jenny Kavanagh has said that she feels "really proud" to have completed her charity climb at Mount Everest.
    1 of 3 0003bda3-314.jpg Kavanagh - Arrived home today

2 of 3 0003d4d1-314.jpg Jenny Kavanagh pictured on the climb with TV presenter Rob Ross and former Fair City star George McMahon

3 of 3 0003d4d0-314.jpg The HOPE team at Base Camp

Speaking to RTÉ TEN this morning, after she arrived back into Dublin Airport, the actress, who played Cleo in 'Fair City', said that she was looking forward to "a good sleep and a good feed".

Kavanagh was part of a team who climbed to Everest Base Camp and Island Peak, in order to raise money for the Hope Foundation.

Speaking about the challenge, she said: "It went really well, all things considered. "It was, without a doubt, the toughest thing that I've ever had to do in my life. But, all in all, as a team, it went really, really well. It was really successful."

"I think we're all exhausted now at this stage but totally exhilarated by the achievement."

Speaking about her low-point of the trip, she said: "There was one point where I actually thought 'I'm going to die' but somehow I managed to muster up the strength to keep going and then you get a boost of energy and you keep going for a while longer and then it hits you again."

"You kind of go 'What have I got myself involved in?' and then you remember the reasons why you're involved in it and you try and keep going."

Referring to the sense of achievement that she feels after completing the climb, she said: "The reactions on other people's faces sort of made it set in and you thought 'wow, actually we did do it' or 'this is something to be really proud of'."

What does it matter how much you earn in order to be friends? friendship knows no bounds, you don't have to earn a certain salary or be on a certain education level to be friends. That to me is plain snobbery.

Eh, you do know it's not real life?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

'Fair City' star Jenny Kavanagh has said that she feels "really proud" to have completed her charity climb at Mount Everest.
    1 of 3 0003bda3-314.jpg Kavanagh - Arrived home today

2 of 3 0003d4d1-314.jpg Jenny Kavanagh pictured on the climb with TV presenter Rob Ross and former Fair City star George McMahon

3 of 3 0003d4d0-314.jpg The HOPE team at Base Camp

Speaking to RTÉ TEN this morning, after she arrived back into Dublin Airport, the actress, who played Cleo in 'Fair City', said that she was looking forward to "a good sleep and a good feed".

Kavanagh was part of a team who climbed to Everest Base Camp and Island Peak, in order to raise money for the Hope Foundation.

Speaking about the challenge, she said: "It went really well, all things considered. "It was, without a doubt, the toughest thing that I've ever had to do in my life. But, all in all, as a team, it went really, really well. It was really successful."

"I think we're all exhausted now at this stage but totally exhilarated by the achievement."

Speaking about her low-point of the trip, she said: "There was one point where I actually thought 'I'm going to die' but somehow I managed to muster up the strength to keep going and then you get a boost of energy and you keep going for a while longer and then it hits you again."

"You kind of go 'What have I got myself involved in?' and then you remember the reasons why you're involved in it and you try and keep going."

Referring to the sense of achievement that she feels after completing the climb, she said: "The reactions on other people's faces sort of made it set in and you thought 'wow, actually we did do it' or 'this is something to be really proud of'."

I thought she moved down to Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

mloc123 wrote: »
    I thought she moved down to Mullingar?

She took the long way round :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Exactly so why does what you said matter? :D It's only fictional after all so not everything is going to be true to real life or what we would expect in real life.:)

"Tell me ANYWHERE on the northside of Dublin where you have the top Detecitive in the local garda station, (who would be earning a hefty salary) living or being bezzie mates, with the local mechanic (who also happens to have the intelligence of a bumblebee - tho I love Ray)????"

leahyl wrote: »
    Exactly so why does what you said matter? :D It's only fictional after all so not everything is going to be true to real life or what we would expect in real life.:)

"Tell me ANYWHERE on the northside of Dublin where you have the top Detecitive in the local garda station, (who would be earning a hefty salary) living or being bezzie mates, with the local mechanic (who also happens to have the intelligence of a bumblebee - tho I love Ray)????"

But the stories have to be, at the very least, believable:rolleyes:

Ficiton and fantasy and one thing, but Fair City is a tv showed based on the lives on people living on the northside of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

But see, it's unfair of you to say that - because it's completely unbelievable that this domestic violence situation would happen in these characters cases. There is no way that Damien would have put up with suzannes treatment of him that first time. No way. They should have picked any other two characters to deal with this topic - christy and carol for example - THAT would have been believable.

A few years back (a real life situation) there was a famous soap actor (very strong, tall, - didn't seem the type to take any bull on or off screen) and his wife alledgely beat him - so much so that the police had to be called - it was put down to a "domestic situation". The couple have since gone their separate ways. So I do think it's more real for Suzanne and Damien to play these parts.

On another note only the Bishops could live on Monastary Avenue.....:D

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »

Ray's ex wife owns the apartment - Ray wasn't getting his finger out of his bottom to get the rent together so she said that she'd organise a flat mate. She didn't tell Ray or John at the time who they were going to be sharing with. :D

deelite wrote: »
    Ray's ex wife owns the apartment - Ray wasn't getting his finger out of his bottom to get the rent together so she said that she'd organise a flat mate. She didn't tell Ray or John at the time who they were going to be sharing with. :D

Fair enough.

But why is the Top/Only/Best Detective on the northside of dublin flat-sharing???? Did the Celtic Tiger pass him by:D

Well aware thank you. But what you have described could easily be shown in reality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭endakenny

Why have the scriptwriters turned Suzanne into a psychopath? This personality change defies credibility.

Well aware thank you. But what you have described could easily be shown in reality too.

Not a hope!

You think it's snobbery on my part, to assume that a top-earning detective wouldn't flat-share with someone like Ray?

I'm a northside Dubliner - I'm far from a snob - but there ain't a hope in hell this would happen.

What I'm trying to say is not that FC is crap (I'm addicted), but the storylines should be believable, the acting should be credible and the directing should be...well...directing them!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not a hope!

You think it's snobbery on my part, to assume that a top-earning detective wouldn't flat-share with someone like Ray?

I'm a northside Dubliner - I'm far from a snob - but there ain't a hope in hell this would happen.

What I'm trying to say is not that FC is crap (I'm addicted), but the storylines should be believable, the acting should be credible and the directing should be...well...directing them!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes I agree but I think showing Gangland Shootings, unmarried mothers - who live with their partners, people having their houses robbed, people losing jobs, yob violence exactly as it happens, domestic violence where young children watch and are victims themselves, people begging in the streets - would be too real-like life for me.

Not a hope!

If you claim you are such a "fan", you seem to enjoy putting the show down which is a shame. I prefer to focus on the good about the show, negativity gets you nowhere and just brings you down.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

If you claim you are such a "fan", you seem to enjoy putting the show down which is a shame. I prefer to focus on the good about the show, negativity gets you nowhere and just brings you down.

Even I agree with that, which is a gross contradiction to my username... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jackdlad2010

My friend saw the Dillon's on that afternoon show yesterday. Did anyone see them? Does anyone know where I can find it? Fair play to cleo, I've always wanted to climb everest, some achievment.

• Advertisement

My friend saw the Dillon's on that afternoon show yesterday. Did anyone see them? Does anyone know where I can find it? Fair play to cleo, I've always wanted to climb everest, some achievment.

Here it is: http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1083283

They all look very well :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement