Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

This week:

0003ce54-545.jpg

This week's preview - Ep 162

Tuesday 19th October.

Doug cleans his car for the benefit of his new instructor.
    Decco tries to drive a wedge between Denzo and Zumo.
    Dean encourages Damien to go for a lads' night out.
    Neasa ruins Damien and Suzanne's quality time together.
    Doug's attempt to get more driving lessons backfires.
    Neasa encourages Damien to stand up for himself.
    The Bishop's family dinner ends abruptly.
    And, irked by Louie's defence of Neasa, Suzanne lays down some rules for Damien.

0003ce57-545.jpg

This week's preview - Ep 163

Wednesday 20th October.

Suzanne warns Damien about his cheating and lying ways!
      Neasa tries to impress Louie with her initiative, eventually winning him over with a 'Brown Sugar'.
      Suzanne is far from pleased to see Mark making himself at home again.
      Doug is deflated when Dearbhla shows an interest in Avi.
      Neasa does some snooping.
      Damien defends Suzanne to Mark, and makes sure not to stray far from home.
      Carol finds Neasa increasingly annoying.

0003ce58-545.jpg

This week's preview - Eps 164

Thursday 21st October 2010.

Neasa charms Louie's anger away.
        Dean's advice to Suzanne is rewarded with a cruel dig.
        Charlie is alarmed to learn who his new neighbours will be.
        Suzanne holds the purse strings.
        The Bishop brothers turn on each other.
        Neasa's cocktail night leaves Carol under pressure.
        And Damien rues forgetting the pasta!

0003ce59-545.jpg

This week's preview - EP 165

Sunday 24th October.

A lovelorn Doug spies on Dearbhla.
          Carol feels usurped by Neasa in McCoy's.
          Avi tries to let Dearbhla down easily.
          Eileen reunites her grandsons under the one roof.
          Louie pacifies Carol, and admonishes Neasa.
          Doug is left heartbroken.
          Dean and Mark surprise Damien, and Suzanne plays the part of the perfect hostess...for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Long Room Hubba

angel01 wrote: »
          0003ce57-545.jpg
          Wednesday 20th October.

A terrified Mark informs Suzanne that one of her sandwiches is haunted. "It was shouting 'Kylie! Kylie!' in a Donegal accent," he declares. "Then it jumped up and punched me in the eye."

Wednesday 20th October.

A terrified Mark informs Suzanne that one of her sandwiches is haunted. "It was shouting 'Kylie! Kylie!' in a Donegal accent," he declares. "Then it jumped up and punched me in the eye."

I still see Dominic when I see a sandwich in Fair City :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sandwichboard

Elmo wrote: »
          The Doyle Family change allot and Rita seems to be stuck up stairs :confused: And Victor Burke was changed when Harry died.

Hi Elmo

Rita is in a nursing home. Suzanne and Bela have both spoken at various times about paying the fees for the nursing home. And we saw Yvonne visiting her there a while back.

I know Yvonne was changed years ago. The original Yvonne was played by Sarah Flood's sister in real life. But Ciara O'Callaghan has played the role since 1989.

I don't think any other of the Doyle family have changed, have they?

This week:

0003ce58-545.jpg

This week's preview - Eps 164

Thursday 21st October 2010.

Neasa charms Louie's anger away.
          Dean's advice to Suzanne is rewarded with a cruel dig.
          Charlie is alarmed to learn who his new neighbours will be.
          Suzanne holds the purse strings.
          The Bishop brothers turn on each other.
          Neasa's cocktail night leaves Carol under pressure.
          And Damien rues forgetting the pasta!

Suzanne looks seriously scary.
          Think I'll be watching this one through my fingers, yelling at the TV;
          "For Chrissake, Damien, DON'T FORGET THE PASTA!!"

• Advertisement

Hi Elmo

But Ciara O'Callaghan has played the role since 1989.

Oops!
          I meant to say 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Oops!
          I meant to say 1998.

Darren was also changed. While both Darren and Yvonne for some reason can make it back to visit with their Mam???? I know they are both in Australia. Yvonne Doyle is the youngest. Fair City characters either disappear or change actor.

Darren was also changed. While both Darren and Yvonne for some reason can make it back to visit with their Mam???? I know they are both in Australia. Yvonne Doyle is the youngest. Fair City characters either disappear or change actor.

They leave. Its not real life. In every soap this happens, no need to pick on fair city because of it. Some actors leave, they don't want to keep the character so they axe them. That is life, you can't have people just dropping back in just to visit their mother. You need to bring them back because they add something to the show or have good storylines.

Do you honestly expect the actors to stay in the same role till the show ends? most child actors get replaced, just look at Eastenders recently (3 actors were axed and got recast). Fair City cast are not well paid, they have to do supplementary work just to survive so they will rarely stay in the soap for a very long period of time.

Jimmy's days were well and truly up. The actor lives in America now.

Coronation Street is going 50 years, you can't expect them to bring back every bloody character they have had over 50 years, so why expect them to do the same here?

They leave. Its not real life. In every soap this happens, no need to pick on fair city because of it. Some actors leave, they don't want to keep the character so they axe them. That is life, you can't have people just dropping back in just to visit their mother. You need to bring them back because they add something to the show or have good storylines.

Jimmy's days were well and truly up. The actor lives in America now.

A good murder is what they need. Who Kill Jimmy is more interesting than What Happened to Jimmy he looks different? I remember Jimmy going to play football in England only to return as a new actor :)

I agree soap actors come and go but I do think it is a bit strange that one of the main families don't seem to return for special occasions e.g. the death of their Granny.

A good murder is what they need. Who Kill Jimmy is more interesting than What Happened to Jimmy he looks different? I remember Jimmy going to play football in England only to return as a new actor :)

I agree soap actors come and go but I do think it is a bit strange that one of the main families don't seem to return for special occasions e.g. the death of their Granny.

You could say the same about Eastenders, only Phil really has stayed in the family home for years, Grant didn't come back for weddings/births/funerals. You can't bring them back if the actor doesn't want to come back and in my eyes pointless, just to recast someone, for a funeral and then have them leave again. Even Sam had 2 different actresses playing her!

Child/Teenage actors change all the time.

See no reason to pick on Fair City for us, all the soaps do it. Its the name of the game in soap world. It isn't real life.

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

Meh! Doesn't bother me when they change cast. Like I'm used to new Mark now and to be honest the old one was a terrible actor. So he's an improvement. What annoys me more in FC is when cast go missing for months with no explanation.

Anyway moving on to talk about the show. I loved every bit of the Robert story. I've really warmed to Dean again after all the cheating. The end scene last night with Robert Dean and dolores was lovely!! I just want to give Robert a hug!!!
          What's the story with Avi, if he's there for a bit of eye candy, he does nothing for me!!

pavcro10 wrote: »
          Meh! Doesn't bother me when they change cast. Like I'm used to new Mark now and to be honest the old one was a terrible actor. So he's an improvement. What annoys me more in FC is when cast go missing for months with no explanation.

Anyway moving on to talk about the show. I loved every bit of the Robert story. I've really warmed to Dean again after all the cheating. The end scene last night with Robert Dean and dolores was lovely!! I just want to give Robert a hug!!!
          What's the story with Avi, if he's there for a bit of eye candy, he does nothing for me!!

Thing is these actors have other commitments, like they need to to plays and what not, I wish Fair City would at least make some excuse to where they are rather than not mentioning them etc..

Avi is as wooden as a brush, maybe they should pair him & Felix up ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

What age is Avi supposed to be? He implied last night that he was in or around the same age as Doug and Dearbhla, who are 18 & 17 respectively, but Avi looks much older than that. I would've guessed late 20s...

Enjoyable episode last night - good to have a fairly lighthearted episode after Robert's storyline on Thursday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Thing is these actors have other commitments, like they need to to plays and what not, I wish Fair City would at least make some excuse to where they are rather than not mentioning them etc..

Avi is as wooden as a brush, maybe they should pair him & Felix up ;):D

I think Avi is very nice in comparison to the other actors. Look at his big manly arms and shoulders. Yummy! ;)

Check out the pictures on his site. God damn... :D
          http://goldfrid.com/default.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

I think Avi is very nice in comparison to the other actors. Look at his big manly arms and shoulders. Yummy! ;)

Check out the pictures on his site. God damn... :D
          http://goldfrid.com/default.htm

I could name 5 hotter guys on FC off the top of my head. He looks feminine and slimy. No thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

pavcro10 wrote: »
          I could name 5 hotter guys on FC off the top of my head. He looks feminine and slimy. No thanks!!

In that case, your idea of feminine is a bit disturbing. :o

I like him anyway. Other than him, I don't find any men on Fair City in the least bit attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Can you back that statement up? Because I don't think you're right...
          deelite wrote: »
          I can think of the following

Fair City:

Mark x 1
          Farrah x 3
          Floyd x 1

Corrie: (haven't really thought very hard - but I know I'm missing loads)

Tracie x 5
          Tracie's kid x 3
          Nick x 3
          Rosie x 2
          Sophie x 2
          David x 2
          Sarah Lou x 2

I don't think FC has a huge actor/character changover tbh, I think they've handled each change fantastically.
          The Doyle Family change allot and Rita seems to be stuck up stairs :confused: And Victor Burke was changed when Harry died.
          Hi Elmo

Rita is in a nursing home. Suzanne and Bela have both spoken at various times about paying the fees for the nursing home. And we saw Yvonne visiting her there a while back.

I know Yvonne was changed years ago. The original Yvonne was played by Sarah Flood's sister in real life. But Ciara O'Callaghan has played the role since 1989.

I don't think any other of the Doyle family have changed, have they?

Here we go again...

Here's the list. I think it's a lot of changes.

Noeleen McCoy
          Kay McCoy
          Mags Kelly (after one season)
          Dolores Molloy (after one season)
          Wayne Molloy
          Jimmy Doyle (after one or two seasons)
          Yvonne Doyle
          Darren Doyle
          Farrah Phelan
          Farrah Phelan (again)
          Seamus McAleer
          Ciara Mannion
          Dean Dowling
          Floyd Phelan
          Sean Cassidy
          Rachel Brennan
          Bernie Kelly
          Mark Halpin

plus at least three cases of the same actor playing two different characters.

1) Dr Bowen / Mrs Mannion
          2) Dolores Molloy / Judith Dillon
          3) Phil (Pascal's carer) / Unknown (orderly in hospital looking after Pierce)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

Yeah and she played a crazy bat in that too... :D Great actress though.
          Thought Robert buying the knight because it wasn't on the list, was great.

What's the story with Dean getting told to get lost by everyone lately? The other night in McCoys, Suzanne told him to take a hike and then tonight Robert's ma telling him he should go home. Ongoing joke or coincidence?

You really notice how horrible the McCoy's t-shirt is, when they put it on someone attractive, don't you? It's an awful shade of green to be honest.
          Neasa would look good in a binbag....FACT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

What age is Avi supposed to be? He implied last night that he was in or around the same age as Doug and Dearbhla, who are 18 & 17 respectively, but Avi looks much older than that. I would've guessed late 20s...

maybe he said "your age" ? he certainly is no teenager! definitely looks near 30. he sounds kinda french (accent wise) in a way.. where is he meant to be from?

not looking forward to suzanne batin damien out of it! i hope mark eventually catches her in the act!

love doug's civic :D

maybe he said "your age" ? he certainly is no teenager! definitely looks near 30. he sounds kinda french (accent wise) in a way.. where is he meant to be from?

not looking forward to suzanne batin damien out of it! i hope mark eventually catches her in the act!

He is meant to be from Israel.

Need I mention yet again how hot Louie is... *swoons* hottest actor in the soap by absolute miles and miles...:D

• Advertisement

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
          plus at least three cases of the same actor playing two different characters.

1) Dr Bowen / Mrs Mannion
          2) Dolores Molloy / Judith Dillon
          3) Phil (Pascal's carer) / Unknown (orderly in hospital looking after Pierce)

This happens in many soap operas. Coronation Street is well known for this.

I suggested this one on twitter... :D

0003d05a-545.jpg

Meet the actors: Seamus Power.

This month we will be interviewing Seamus Power who plays Dermot Fahey.

Dermot Fahey: local politician, community ambassador, hen-pecked husband. But, when the things Dermot treasures most are threatened, he's not afraid to stand up.
          If you would like to ask Seamus anything please email your questions to faircity@rte.ie, with subject line, 'Seamus Power' Interview, or tweet your questions to http://twitter.com/RTEFairCity.
          We will select the best questions and put them to him.
          The deadline for questions is Wednesday 3rd of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Alice1

Eeeek! I've just noticed that Dermot & Joe have my cups in the background! See those spotty cups - they're mine! Yep, mine. And, and my dears, I also have the cutlery but one spoon and one knife got broken (by the childer) sooo, I'm needin' one of each please.....

Some of you hang around that set - surely you can sneak them out discreetly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

the only question i'd have for seamus in his role as dermot would be "how on earth do you put up with that wife of yours with her high pitch condescending hen clucking?"
          hahaha :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

She will beat Damien cos he forgots to buy pasta

Sunday
          A lovelorn Doug spies on Dearbhla. Suzanne tells a bruised Damien that she loves him. A fed-up Carol tells Christy she feels unappreciated at McCoys. Decco nonchalantly agrees to go to the station with Deegan. Dearbhla refuses to believe that Avi isn't attracted to her. Christy has a word with Louie about Neasa's work ethic.

Damien makes an excuse so he doesn't have to join Mark and Dean in McCoys later. Zumo learns from Deegan that Decco is working with Ritchie Lennon. Louie flatters Carol into managing the cocktail night. Doug is heartbroken when Dearbhla rejects his advances. Zumo can't persuade Eileen to evict Decco.

Dean and Mark surprise Damien by arriving to watch the match at his house. Suzanne welcomes them and plays the perfect hostess. Damien is delighted. Neasa is taken aback when Louie tells her she has to have a better work ethic. Zumo is shocked when Decco declares he is willing to risk his life to succeed. Avi tells Doug he needs to get over Dearbhla.

Zumo agrees to move into the house only to protect his family from Decco. Carol turns down Louie's invitation to have dinner with him and Neasa. Dean ignores Suzanne's hints that he and Mark should leave the house. She orders Damien to throw them out. She aggressively threatens Damien when they leave.

Tuesday
          Keith's brother Finn arrives in Carrigstown in style. Decco impresses Eileen and Denzo when he gives Eileen an expensive gold necklace and Eileen refuses to heed Zumo's caution. Louie tells Christy that he should consult Carol before he makes any 'surprise' wedding plans. Leo tells Dean he's not doing his fair share of the house cleaning.

Keith feels overshadowed by fun-loving Finn. Fire bangers are being thrown around Carrigstown and they are scaring the community! Neasa sides with Christy about his plan to organise a surprise wedding and offers to help. Zumo warns Decco to stay away from Charlotte and her friends. Carol reprimands Neasa for not cleaning the toilets properly and impresses Louie with her managerial skills.

Finn makes a move on another girl. Deegan asks Zumo to give him information on Decco. But Eileen orders him to cut his conversation with Deegan short. Deegan pleads saying he does not want to have Ritchie Lennon in Carrigstown. Zak tries to buy condoms to make water bombs and Neasa catches him. Zumo tells Decco about Deegan's enquiries. Deegan vows to do whatever is necessary to put Decco away.

Louie and Carol share jokes and Christy feels left out. Finn tries to get to know the Bishops much to his regret. Keith is forced to join them. Dean doesn't want to spend the night in with Robert and persuades Leo to stay in with him. Decco rips the necklace off Eileen and threatens her, saying not to talk to Deegan again. He informs Zumo that Ritchie Lennon is out to get Deegan

Wednesday
          Decco boasts to Zumo that he has a plan for Deegan. Finn and Dean arrive on Keith's doorstep with two girls after a night out on the town. Christy asks Carol to go away for the weekend with him. Decco vows to discover Deegan's weakness. Robert arranges with a delighted Leo to call over and make dinner.

Keith is less impressed than Sarah with Finn's insatiable energy for partying. Neasa observes that Louie is a cynic when it comes to wedding talk. Zumo is frustrated that Eileen refuses to admit being scared of Decco. Carol is bemused when Louie insists she has the evening off. Louie tells her she enthrals him. Dean fails to convince Keith that Finn came to Dublin to spend time with his brother.

Christy, a divorced man who is very excited, shows Carol his wedding plans but she flees from him, feeling overwhelmed by the wedding. Louie finds Carol in the park and they share a tender moment. Zumo is sceptical about Eileen's plan to invite the neighbours to a party. Carol assures Christy she is delighted by his gesture but Neasa notes how well Louie really knows her.

Keith becomes aware that Finn avoids serious topics of conversation. Leo realises that he has distressed Robert by disrupting their plans. They bond over domestic duties. Decco invites Sarah and the gang to his gran's Halloween party. The Bishops learn there is another party planned that night.

Louie tells Christy he should be happy he got what he wanted. Decco realises Deegan has something serious going with Jennifer. Sarah convinces Keith they should go clubbing with Finn. Louie and Carol kiss, while Christy waits for her in the beer garden.
          :eek::eek::eek: at the last line!!!!

Thursday
          Keith makes it clear to Sarah he does not want Finn staying in the house. Sarah suggests he should get to know him better. Carol has hardly slept, but insists to Christy that everything is fine. Decco harasses Jennifer. Neasa notes that Louie is acting strangely around Carol.

Robert unintentionally becomes involved in Dean and Leo's domestic dispute. Keith is annoyed when Sarah invites Finn to stay. Louie orders Neasa to organise the Halloween party without involving him. Finn wants to go to the Bishops' party much to Sarah's annoyance.
          Eileen urges Zumo to calm Decco down and to stop Denzo getting involved with him.

Deegan threatens Decco for approaching his girlfriend and Decco threatens to report him for assault. Christy announces to Neasa and Louie that they have set the date for the wedding.
          Sarah tells Keith she thinks Finn is taking drugs.

Carol insists to Louie that nothing will ever happen between them. She deflects Christy's remarks about Louie's strange mood. Keith and Finn fight about him staying in Carrigstown. Decco agrees to hire Denzo but only if he proves himself on a job first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
          Here's the list. I think it's a lot of changes.

Noeleen McCoy
          Kay McCoy
          Mags Kelly (after one season)
          Dolores Molloy (after one season)
          Wayne Molloy
          Jimmy Doyle (after one or two seasons)
          Yvonne Doyle
          Darren Doyle
          Farrah Phelan
          Farrah Phelan (again)
          Seamus McAleer
          Ciara Mannion
          Dean Dowling
          Floyd Phelan
          Sean Cassidy
          Rachel Brennan
          Bernie Kelly
          Mark Halpin

It's not ideal, certainly, but eighteen changes in twenty-one years doesn't seem that excessive to me. People generally don't go into the acting business because they want a steady job till they hit retirement age. Most actors are so flaky that herding them into the same studio for two consecutive seasons seems like a heroic achievement.

Some of the people on your list were off-screen for a good while before the character was revived. I imagine that's when it's hardest to get people to come back. THe original Dean Dowling, whose name escapes me at the moment, certainly seems to be doing very well in theatre. I've seen him in the Abbey a couple of times. He was in Eden too.

The interesting thing for me is that they made such huge changes after one season. Dolores, Mags and Jimmy must all have been major characters even then. Changing them overnight is a lot more serious than Bernie Kely coming back from Canada with a different haircut. Do we know what happened?

It's not ideal, certainly, but eighteen changes in twenty-one years doesn't seem that excessive to me. People generally don't go into the acting business because they want a steady job till they hit retirement age. Most actors are so flaky that herding them into the same studio for two consecutive seasons seems like a heroic achievement.

Some of the people on your list were off-screen for a good while before the character was revived. I imagine that's when it's hardest to get people to come back. THe original Dean Dowling, whose name escapes me at the moment, certainly seems to be doing very well in theatre. I've seen him in the Abbey a couple of times. He was in Eden too.

The interesting thing for me is that they made such huge changes after one season. Dolores, Mags and Jimmy must all have been major characters even then. Changing them overnight is a lot more serious than Bernie Kely coming back from Canada with a different haircut. Do we know what happened?

I am just guessing here but they launched the show and probably decided that those people didn't suit the roles and they made changes. Jimmy was young surely at that time so child actors change a lot.

From what some of the cast said on a set, a lot of them auditioned for one part, didn't get it but got a different part in the end shows that they were not suited for one character but suited to another.

I think when a show launches, you bring in who you think suits it but then after some time, you may think that a change is needed. Anyway it has all worked out in the end :D

Dolores, Mags and Jimmy

Honor Heffernan I think played Dolores, not sure who played the other 2 but Jimmy was only a child actor often playing an extra role as part of a larger family, e.g. The Webster Family in Coro St, I would be very surprised if the Byrne Children in Glenroe where still in those roles if Glenroe still existed today.

Fair City did 2 things in its first year one was to employ non actors such as Rita and the other was to continue to attract well known theater actors (as they had in past Soaps). From what I could see the more established actors such as Kay McCoy's original actor who left soon after, Kay's husband was also killed off I assume by request of both actors, after seriously bad criticism in the press of the show at the time. IMO.

• Advertisement
        • Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭max life

I hate Suzanne...Really.....Evil....

This discussion has been closed.
        Advertisement