Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fair City [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Eddie_1980

Annette's funeral wasn't shown on screen. Just an article in the paper about it I think.

Crappy that they aren't showing it on RTE Player anymore. I sometimes have to miss an episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭nellie07

Sky Plus! Go for it best invention ever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

nellie07 wrote: »
    Sky Plus! Go for it best invention ever

I have the UPC DVR and thats just as good :D

No Annette's funeral wasn't on screen, I complained to the fair city producers by email about that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Now fair city is the subject of much derision.:D

My experience is completely different. Five years ago if you said you were a fan people had hysterics. Now they either watch it or (more often) "have heard it's pretty good these days but don't have the time", etc.

It also gets good reviews, which I never remember happening before.

Where do you see this derision? Is it among your friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Just my overactive imagination or do I detect a possible handcuffing with the garda (cant remember his name as he bores me to tears) and the moan Suzanne.

• Advertisement

deelite wrote: »
    Just my overactive imagination or do I detect a possible handcuffing with the garda (cant remember his name as he bores me to tears) and the moan Suzanne.

He was definitely giving her the eye. I think he's the kind of guy who flirts with everyone. I can't see Damien being too happy about it.

I thought Damien and Suzanne were brilliant last night, by the way. Those scenes about money were very realistic. The slide from banter to serious edginess was beautifully measured.

I can imagine tens of thousands of people in the same position. I suppose we'll see the effect of the disappearing Christmas bonus too.

The scenes of Pete not being able to turn on a computer were a bit blah, though. I like him as an actor, but there's something unrealistic about the way they never mention specific websites, or even specific buttons on the keyboard. As if they're afraid they'll get sued by the CTRL key.

"Push that one. Now visit that one. Click that link."

I think the scenes with Pete and learning to go online and use the computer will be good, I found them interesting anyway :D Reminds me of my Mum :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I like Damien's storyline at the moment... probably because I'm kind of in the same boat... unemployed and people telling me there's job opening in (insert shop/company here) and I just wanna tell them to stop trying to help me, because it's more frustrating that way. I can find a job on my own, thanks very much...

I like Damien's storyline at the moment... probably because I'm kind of in the same boat... unemployed and people telling me there's job opening in (insert shop/company here) and I just wanna tell them to stop trying to help me, because it's more frustrating that way. I can find a job on my own, thanks very much...

I know how you feel. I remember my parents proudly announcing that they had found me a job collecting glasses in a pub thirteen miles and two bus rides from where I lived.

Good luck, by the way. If I hear of any openings threading bells onto plastic tambourines, I will keep them firmly to myself.

Another reminder: if you want to ask the actor who plays Dean any questions, anything you wanted to know or find out.. closing date is 12th December!

E-mail your questions to faircity@rte.ie with the subject line Michael Sheehan interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Wow, I had no idea thast this was here!! I watched Fair City a few years ago (Thinkning back I'm sure it was around the time when Charlie was getting bricks through his window) And I can't remember why I stoped watching it. I am hooked again. Have been for about a year now!! Whats everybodys favourite actors? I think Aisling O'Neill (Carol) Is really fabtastic, Also I thought Una Kavanagh (Heather) was not great when Heather was writing the book about Carol but during the trial and just before it her acting has been really, really good!!! I have to say that Mick Nolan (Ray) Cracks me up so much! I loved when Jo says 'Oh Dermot!'. Love it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Meller wrote: »
    Clashed with Emmerdale so missed it again :rolleyes: This is why I need it on the plauer!
    Have to remember to catch the repeat tomorrow.

You should watch Fair City instead; you can always catch up on Emmerdale online at tv3.ie

CiaranK wrote: »
    Wow, I had no idea thast this was here!! I watched Fair City a few years ago (Thinkning back I'm sure it was around the time when Charlie was getting bricks through his window) And I can't remember why I stoped watching it. I am hooked again. Have been for about a year now!! Whats everybodys favourite actors? I think Aisling O'Neill (Carol) Is really fabtastic, Also I thought Una Kavanagh (Heather) was not great when Heather was writing the book about Carol but during the trial and just before it her acting has been really, really good!!! I have to say that Mick Nolan (Ray) Cracks me up so much! I loved when Jo says 'Oh Dermot!'. Love it!!!

Welcome aboard. I agree with you about Carol and Ray. At the moment the performances I'm enjoying most are Tracey and Damien, but that changes week by week.

I'm also one of the few here who think Paul is terrific, on a good day even the best actor in the programme. I blame baldophobia.

Welcome aboard. I agree with you about Carol and Ray. At the moment the performances I'm enjoying most are Tracey and Damien, but that changes week by week.

I'm also one of the few here who think Paul is terrific, on a good day even the best actor in the programme. I blame baldophobia.

I think Paul is great too!! I'll miss it tonight. Going to Marillion, Hopefully catch the repeat tomorow!

CiaranK wrote: »

Welcome Ciaran :)

My favourite actors : Alan Devine (Louie) Aisling O'Neill (Carol), Hilda Fay(Tracey), Pat Nolan (Barry), also love the characters of Jo, Dermot, Yvonne, Seamus and still miss Annette :(

angel01 wrote: »
    I have the UPC DVR and thats just as good :D

No Annette's funeral wasn't on screen, I complained to the fair city producers by email about that :mad:

Any response?

Any response?

They just said they would pass it on to the producers but basically no, nothing :(

Sunday:

Making an even bigger mess of their situation, Dean suggests to Kylie that they find their own place to live together. She's delighted and oblivious to the fact that he said it without thinking. Tracey arranges to meet him and the two discuss the situation. Jo learns that Emily is going to be leaving and is sad to see her go but more determined that fostering is the right avenue for her family to take. Damien relents to Suzanne and agrees to take the debt collectors job.

Preview for next week:

Tuesday:

Charlie embarrasses Dolores when he says that herself and Malachy would make a good couple and are already like a little family. Malachy begins to wonder if there is a future in their relationship. However, there's a shock in store when Lara turns up, and she's clean. Damien struggles with his new job and on his first call he gets laughed at. Later when he returns home, Suzanne decides to try and coach her hubby in bullying tactics. Speaking of Bullying, Mark gets slagged about his brothers vocation. Dean tries to break up with Kylie but she doesn't let him get a word in edge ways.

Wednesday:

Lara admits to Dolores that she is back and wants custody of her daughter but she is faced with stiff opposition from Cleo and Malachy, who even threatens to call the Gardai at one stage. Tracey and Kylie have a heart to heart over dinner. As Kylie tells her step mother that she loves her, Tracey becomes blackened with guilt. Meanwhile, Dean is listening to advice on how to break up with Kylie from Ian. Damien has another bad day at the office and Mark offers to cancel his grinds so that his brother doesn't have to work in a job they both hate.

Thursday:

Pete confides in Bella that his life is a disaster, which is true, even Jo's getting tired of him in The Helping Hand. Lara accuses Dolores of wanting to keep Jane for herself, but it's up to the social worker to decide who's to care for her. Dean gets Kylie an iron for her birthday in an attempt to make her break up with him. But, she's over-joyed and is thrilled that he noticed her old one had broken. Que Dean banging his head off a brick wall.

Will have Sunday's later next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭myxi

My favourite actors : Alan Devine (Louie) Aisling O'Neill (Carol), Hilda Fay(Tracey), Pat Nolan (Barry), also love the characters of Jo, Dermot, Yvonne, Seamus and still miss Annette :(

Hilda Fay was in the canteen on Monday boring the socks off Pat Nolan with talk of a play in Tribeca in New York! I felt sorry for him!

myxi wrote: »
    Hilda Fay was in the canteen on Monday boring the socks off Pat Nolan with talk of a play in Tribeca in New York! I felt sorry for him!

Awww I love her :D I am really going to have to wander into this canteen one day, I would be in my element :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Epicurus

Ah no; dont say that; I used to like him for whatever reason; dont let him get with her

Suzanne decides to try and coach her hubby in bullying tactics.

No better woman than her for that

Thanks for the welcome!! I forgot about Hilda, She was really good when 'ominic Got Violent' Storyline. It's gonna be bad for Paul and Niamh (Not sure if thats spelled right) If she finds out Yvonnes baby is Pauls. Could still be Louies. The only thing that makes me think it is is because every time he asks her about it she doesn't say It's not yours, It seems as if she is uncertian. Also I really don't like Ian. He is a really bad Garda. He gets on my nerves sometimes. Always in uniformm in the community Centre or in McCoys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 corinacorina

i love robert, the new guy, he's so funny!!

Dean gets Kylie an iron for her birthday in an attempt to make her break up with him.

I laughed at this. Poor Dean, when his only alternative to Robert for love advice is Ian.

I laughed at this. Poor Dean, when his only alternative to Robert for love advice is Ian.

That made me laugh as well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Awww I love her :D I am really going to have to wander into this canteen one day, I would be in my element :D

"Gooey over Louie"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

When Glenroe was around everyone used to laugh at Glenroe and say Fair City was better when compared with Glenroe. Now fair city is the subject of much derision.:D

Fair City will never be as good as Glenroe when it was at its strongest. Some poor script writers in the latter years killed it off.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    Fair City will never be as good as Glenroe when it was at its strongest. Some poor script writers in the latter years killed it off.

Cannot agree with that. I felt Glenroe was very poor and quite laughable at times. Glad it was axed.

"Gooey over Louie"

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

Deise Tom wrote: »

They're such different shows it's hard to compare them, but I think you have a point. Glenroe got worse and worse for so long that it's easy to forget how good it was at the start. There was realistic poverty in Miley and Dinny's circumstances, and a slow Pinteresque comedy to the scripts that Fair City has never matched.

On the other hand, that was twenty years ago. God knows how much my memory of it is the glossy hindsight version. I suppose all you can ask of a soap is whether it is improving or getting worse, and Fair City is definitely improving year on year.

(And I doubt the Fair City producers are going to be handing scripts back to the writers and saying, "This is great, Tim, but could you make the next draft a bit slower and more Pinteresque?")

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement