Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is going to be in the IAA now.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

One quick question for ye...

I've not joined the IAA yet but have been thinking about it since I started airsoft. Now the question I've got is what do I get?

I don't intend this as trolling or general trouble causing I'm just curious. I've joined organisations that cost almost 10 times what the IAA wants (so the cost doesn't bother me) but they always stated what you get (e.g. insurance, legal aid, etc).

So what do I get for joining the IAA (other than a membership card)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Puding wrote: »
    i don't think he was referring to you in any way, you started a thread in regard to iaa and horgan gave some views on the iaa not on you as far as i can read

i just want to have a discussion on where the community is with the iaa

sometimes its hard to get who a poster is talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

cherubaul wrote: »
    but if i remember correctly we had people from this board doing the same thing before their formation.

Yes, and those people went on to become the founding members of the IAA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

please don't delete or lock this thread as i genuienly wish to know the outcome

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

nobody said anything about locking or deleting it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

I think people are scared it will get locked like the last ones but as long as its on topic it will be safe

I for one voted yes I meant to send the picture and cheque last week but forgot :rolleyes: the continued support is essential if the orginasation is to be taken seriously I for one will be behind it imagine if we went the way of england overnight, everyone will have there own ideas on how to run airsoft but the members who ratified the constitution will be able to stand up and say they speak for airsoft in Ireland and will be recognised by the government. this current situation is what happens with a lot of groups when there first formed airsoft might not be new but in Ireland it is. we have different rules than the uk and we have to be able to stand on our own two feet thats where democratic voting at AGMs comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Tigger wrote: »
    Genuine question

I signed up for the IAA and thought it was a great idea
    i was planning on signing up again and getting the id card and any other benifits but now i'm not sure

the issues i worry about are as follows:
    • no new chairman was elected after the chair was vacated
    • no definate date or plan has been made available to me re; the id cards
    • 9 months ago i thought i knew what the iaa stood for and what their plans were for example regarding regional reps but nothing has been done , or mabey it has but i know nowt about it, who is the regional rep for the west or the northwest

Have you actually asked the IAA these questions directly?

Have you volunteered to become a regional rep?

I suspect the answer is no to both those questions.....

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

I said No its not for me.

The IAA have'nt appeared on my Radar since their foundation. They have not as some would have us believe become the cornerstone of Irish airsoft nor have they been responsible for the popularisation of airsoft. yes they have leaflets and a website so yes inevitably they will attract people to it BUT.

TBH as much as this board has its faults its probably the main contributer to the popularisation of airsoft other than word of mouth.

Nor are the IAA the single entity standing between airsoft and overzealous detractors. Had the IAA not been formed I see no reason that airsoft would be banned or in any weaker position. Retailers have fought their corner as well as site owners Derek from MIA and John from Drogheda airsoft to mention but a few. Yes they have done SOME work with radio interviews etc. but if i remember correctly we had people from this board doing the same thing before their formation.

There has not been cause for me to join. I enquired about joining quite a while back but none of the assurances that i wanted were being met (no governmental recogniton or even from the sports council and no cross border programme) nor could the comitee member tell if or when this would be up for debate.

so as it stands the IAA doesnt for me represent a viable option as a rep/governing body and thus i havent joined.

now many people on here keep saying dont moan do something about it. I'm not moaning and I'm not detracting even if someone does detract this doesn't give someone the right to act all high and mighty (as often happens) those in the IAA are as bad as they think the detractors are in fact in many cases worse as they make the organisation look hostile and start a witch hunt which i'm sure the comitee dont appreciate and is ultimately self destructive. Good luck with your venture if at some stage your policies fall more into line with what i feel represents a true demograpic i will join but until that day i'll leave you to your own devices as long as you leave me to mine as there are as many people within your ranks who hate non members as there are non members who hate members.

Really an excellent post, i agree with you 100%.
    i for one will not be joining the IAA for the above reasons and sone of my own, which i wont get into here.

im not knocking any one who is IAA affiliated, fair play to ye, but i dont think that they are active as an organisation what so ever, bar a couple of inyerview quite some time back.
    i do however remember people here telling others not to ring in(i think it was joe duffy)
    leave it to the IAA, they were told.
    that i do not think was fair.

some one said previously that buying from an IAA affiliated seller will guarantee you a legally under the limit gun.
    this is not guaranteed, i know of two cases where hot guns were purchased from an affialiated seller.
    again im not havin a go at anyone, im just strating facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

some one said previously that buying from an IAA affiliated seller will guarantee you a legally under the limit gun.
    this is not guaranteed, i know of two cases where hot guns were purchased from an affialiated seller.

did you report this to the iaa? i don;t think the iaa is in the position to do test buys at the moment :) if you do, then fair play and i hope the iaa followed up on it, if you did not then why not how is anyone meant to do anything about it without info,

This issue of hot aeg being sold via shops was brought up with the iaa by a number of cork players after they brought some hot items from inside Ireland, this issue as far as I'm aware was handled in private without having a b***** in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

One quick question for ye...

I've not joined the IAA yet but have been thinking about it since I started airsoft. Now the question I've got is what do I get?

I don't intend this as trolling or general trouble causing I'm just curious. I've joined organisations that cost almost 10 times what the IAA wants (so the cost doesn't bother me) but they always stated what you get (e.g. insurance, legal aid, etc).

So what do I get for joining the IAA (other than a membership card)?

anyone want to answer this question

• Advertisement

would it not be a better idea is simple ask that over at the iaa forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

might aswell ask it here while we on this topic

Well if you are stating facts I assume you have proof bar my mate down the pub told me. If you don't you had better withdraw this statement.

If I see anymore hearsay comments like this there will be bannings, you won't be infracted you will be banned for a month.

amaughan wrote: »
    might aswell ask it here while we on this topic

No ask in the IAA forum on their website.

My patience is wearing thin guys. If you have specific questions for the IAA ask them via the facility they have provided.

This thread is very close to being closed at the moment for several different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

gandalf wrote: »
    No ask in the IAA forum on their website.

My patience is wearing thin guys. If you have specific questions for the IAA ask them via the facility they have provided.

This thread is very close to being closed at the moment for several different reasons.

I've just seen that someone asked that question on their site (the IAA's that is) and it did sort of answer my question, in a wishy-washy way.

But since we are talking about the IAA (and the IAA gaffers/members are probably here) then why not ask it?

Anyway as I said I'm not trolling so I'm off to have a fight with a word doc.

Enjoy the discussion! :) (I'm actually finding it interesting, and it's nice to see an actual discussion about the IAA without (most of) the usual rubbish being talked (i.e. fighting then having to lock the thread)

I've just seen that someone asked that question on their site (the IAA's that is) and it did sort of answer my question, in a wishy-washy way.

But since we are talking about the IAA (and the IAA gaffers/members are probably here) then why not ask it?

Anyway as I said I'm not trolling so I'm off to have a fight with a word doc.

Enjoy the discussion! :) (I'm actually finding it interesting, and it's nice to see an actual discussion about the IAA without (most of) the usual rubbish being talked (i.e. fighting then having to lock the thread)

Chuck I am not accussing you of trolling. As I said I would prefer that IAA threads are asked over there first as they can provide the only direct answers to questions about the current state of the organisation. They also attract alot of tinfoil hat conspiracy theory muppets when posted here for some reason as well.

Personally I will be resubscribing to the IAA as my subscription has lapsed with one agenda in mind and thats to make sure changes occur at the next AGM. They are the only game in town if you want a representative body for airsoft with some credentials already with the media and the Dept of Justice.

You get safety in numbers is the best answer to your original question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

You get safety in numbers is the best answer to your original question.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theburi

I will not join but for few different reason
    IAA goal is "The reason for its creation is to lay down guidelines for retailers, venues and players in order to ensure that the sport continues to grow and is enjoyed in a safe and responsible manner."
    For my personal reasons I can not spend time laying down guidelines. However I would like to join organization that helps me, player. Site memeberships will be the answer I belive.

PS. If I want to ask a question about aeg I can ask retailer or this forum. If I would like to find out about a site, you can ask site owner or this board. Most likely i'll do both. Keep it on topic and ban trolls.
    I said No its not for me.

The IAA have'nt appeared on my Radar since their foundation. They have not as some would have us believe become the cornerstone of Irish airsoft nor have they been responsible for the popularisation of airsoft. yes they have leaflets and a website so yes inevitably they will attract people to it BUT.

TBH as much as this board has its faults its probably the main contributer to the popularisation of airsoft other than word of mouth.

Nor are the IAA the single entity standing between airsoft and overzealous detractors. Had the IAA not been formed I see no reason that airsoft would be banned or in any weaker position. Retailers have fought their corner as well as site owners Derek from MIA and John from Drogheda airsoft to mention but a few. Yes they have done SOME work with radio interviews etc. but if i remember correctly we had people from this board doing the same thing before their formation.

There has not been cause for me to join. I enquired about joining quite a while back but none of the assurances that i wanted were being met (no governmental recogniton or even from the sports council and no cross border programme) nor could the comitee member tell if or when this would be up for debate.

so as it stands the IAA doesnt for me represent a viable option as a rep/governing body and thus i havent joined.

now many people on here keep saying dont moan do something about it. I'm not moaning and I'm not detracting even if someone does detract this doesn't give someone the right to act all high and mighty (as often happens) those in the IAA are as bad as they think the detractors are in fact in many cases worse as they make the organisation look hostile and start a witch hunt which i'm sure the comitee dont appreciate and is ultimately self destructive. Good luck with your venture if at some stage your policies fall more into line with what i feel represents a true demograpic i will join but until that day i'll leave you to your own devices as long as you leave me to mine as there are as many people within your ranks who hate non members as there are non members who hate members.

If I want to ask a question about aeg I can ask retailer or this forum. If I would like to find out about a site, you can ask site owner or this board. Most likely i'll do both. Keep it on topic and ban trolls.

When and why would the iaa as an organisation be answering questions in regard to an aeg? there not there for that, ignoring the fact that a lot of the active member answer a lot of questions on boards, i don;t see how you can judge and organization that is meant to provide a body to help govern and run airsoft in Ireland and stop it going the way of England on the fact they do not answer your questions on what accessory to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theburi

I'm sorry you did not get my point
    I'll continue ... When I want to ask a question about iaa, I might go to IAA site or I might ask boards. Asking question on IAA site will give me one bios opinion. asking question on boards will give me few biosed opinion.
    When and why would the iaa as an organisation be answering questions in regard to an aeg? there not there for that, ignoring the fact that a lot of the active member answer a lot of questions on boards, i don;t see how you can judge and organization that is meant to provide a body to help govern and run airsoft in Ireland and stop it going the way of England on the fact they do not answer your questions on what accessory to buy.

• Advertisement

sorry i misunderstood the point you where trying to make, your basicly saying the right tool for the right job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Tommyboy71

I am a paid up member of the IAA. The reason being - if I don't like the way things are going at least I will have a voice when the AGM is called.

Everyone has three options - Lead, follow or option C.

Lead - you get involved, volunteer your services, get stuck in and help to develop the sport and the association or
    Follow - you give your support to those that are trying to help the sport.

Then there is always option C - you chose to do your own thing and enjoy the sport the same way everyone else does. Politics don't matter, it's only a game after all.

I am happy to support the IAA. They are looking out for all of our interests and that includes those who are not members. They are interested in the sport, they play the sport and they want to see it develop.

My 2 cents worth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭cherubaul

See i agree with that .lead , follow or do your own thing but the problem i find is even if i try doing my own thing i'm constantly having dogma which i don't believe in bellowed at me from some overzealous ground pounder.

I've been acosted in a retail outlet and an explanation was demanded as to why i was not a member. The laughable fact was i wasn't even talking to the guy he merely earwigged a conversation and started into his spiel.

I was told that my view on the now defunct laser issue was idiotic and i must be thick for not being a member at a skirmish site.

I've had my ears yammered off twice at a site by people who just cant grasp the fact that i havent cared, dont care and will never care.

so i say please if you happen to see a large red-bearded bloke standing around with a G36, AKS74U or AR15 by all means say hello but please for the love of God give my poor ears a rest and talk to me about poetry, flowers, how shiny your awful looking silver slide on your glock is or even how you managed to catch a BB between your teeth and spit it back at someone at 328fps but leave your politics at the door. Actually that would be a nice rule wouldnt it no politics at sites or retail units.

did you report this to the iaa? i don;t think the iaa is in the position to do test buys at the moment :) if you do, then fair play and i hope the iaa followed up on it, if you did not then why not how is anyone meant to do anything about it without info,

This issue of hot aeg being sold via shops was brought up with the iaa by a number of cork players after they brought some hot items from inside Ireland, this issue as far as I'm aware was handled in private without having a b***** in public.

why would i do that?
    im not goin to go starting sh1t between an organisation and one of their affiliated retailers.

im sure it was a mistake as is only human nature and so rectified the problems for them myself.

i just took exception to the myth that because a seller is IAA affiliated that they are guaranteed a gun that is with in the limit.
    gandalf wrote: »
    Well if you are stating facts I assume you have proof bar my mate down the pub told me. If you don't you had better withdraw this statement.

If I see anymore hearsay comments like this there will be bannings, you won't be infracted you will be banned for a month.

thats no hear say lad, i have pics of the chrono readings myself and can upload them if you like. i also changed springs for the two lads as it was handler that posting or travelling to dublin.

so unfortunately im not goin to be withdrawing my statement.

that said im sure that there are a number of good reasons to join the IAA, but i do not consider it a fail safe.

someone mentioned before that a reason for joining is that they could provide you with a letter on headed paper , in case you should have an problems with the guards.

to be perfectly honest that is a optomistic in the extreme as it would be unlikey to sway a guard unless he was aware of the sport as a whole or very credulous guard.

if they were recognised by the sports council then yes this would be a good reason to join, as they would be somewhat official.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭MacAonghusa

I won't be joining. Based solely on what some others ppl (including IAA members) have said I don't think they will develop the sport the way I would like to see it developed. Way too much politics is also what I was told.

Perhaps after a few years, with a bit of experience and maturity, it might develop into an association worth joining; my 2c.
    As time is an issue I couldn't afford to get involved beyond my own area so that's what I intend to do ... a mix of "lead" and "option C".

why would i do that?
    im not goin to go starting sh1t between an organisation and one of their affiliated retailers.

im sure it was a mistake as is only human nature and so rectified the problems for them myself.

i just took exception to the myth that because a seller is IAA affiliated that they are guaranteed a gun that is with in the limit.

OK so you are not trying to be malicious. That was not clear from your initial statement. Based on previous threads that have transformed into flame wars we tend to be very strict on claims like this.
    thats no hear say lad, i have pics of the chrono readings myself and can upload them if you like. i also changed springs for the two lads as it was handler that posting or travelling to dublin.

so unfortunately im not goin to be withdrawing my statement.

I am assuming that the retailer in question was contacted to let them know the AEG's were over the limit so they could check any other stock from the same batch that they had.

Fair enough on the statement you didn't name the exact retailer.
    that said im sure that there are a number of good reasons to join the IAA, but i do not consider it a fail safe.

Well it could also be said if the original purchasers of the AEG's reported the retailer to the IAA they could address the issue directly with the retailer. If they didn't then yes it isn't a failsafe as they won't know that there are issues with retailers.
    someone mentioned before that a reason for joining is that they could provide you with a letter on headed paper , in case you should have an problems with the guards.

to be perfectly honest that is a optomistic in the extreme as it would be unlikey to sway a guard unless he was aware of the sport as a whole or very credulous guard.

A fair few members have had contact with the Gardai, one was even taken to a Garda station until they cleared up the AEG was in fact legal. So a letter is definitely no guarantee that Le Flick will leave you alone.
    if they were recognised by the sports council then yes this would be a good reason to join, as they would be somewhat official.

Well for that they need numbers so its a vicious circle really. If you don't join they won't get in a position to get recognition.

Again even if you don't like the make up of the committee or the way things are running at the moment join. Organise yourself with others who think the way you do and do something about it at the AGM.

What is completely pathetic are those that whinge but have never done anything positive for airsoft. (this comment is not aimed at you btw)

i honestly couldnt tell you if he was contacted, i would guess not as i know both lads had problems getting stuff like manuals and an order of BB's was never delivered, so they would probably not have, i do know that the springs were got from ehobby so most likely not.

i understand your points about the IAA but they are just not for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

You guys.... not happy with it...not happy with out it, Mods lock this, for all of your attention, all of you. The IAA has its own website and Forum, and I know for one that there is very little going on there, cos you all over HERE going on about it! I registered over there cos I'm interested in what the IAA might be doing, So do the same will ya, cos Airsofters from far and wide are viewing this and possibly think that we are all a bunch of tw*ts...and at this point in the proceedings, I'd have to agree. Get over yourselves would ya, this is your sport, don't bury it with your pointless squabbles...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The impression you give from the above post though, is that the retailer is "knowingly" selling hot AEGs, theres so many things that can effect the muzzle velocity/energy of an AEG and a reading on monday isnt necessarily the same as it will be on tuesday, i had a similar situation in gtac with my M4 chrono'ing at 340, did it again the next day and it was 327fps, thats a fairly decent drop.
    theres always the chance that some guns will get through the net though, and the retailers are obliged to take the gun back and correct the problem, im assuming you/the owner never told the retailer about the fact that the gun was hot? otherwise they would most likely have sorted it themselves. you also void the warrentys on those guns by doing it yourself instead of just letting the retailer know what the story was.

using the statment that "irish retailers are selling hot guns"! is getting really old now i must say, and im not just saying that about your post, im talking above previous threads similar to this one. out of all the guns sold its probably like 3% that turn out to be over the limit and these few examples are used in statments like the above, which then results in messy out of proportion arguements on here.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Agreed Vtec, one incident and all hell breaks loose. guys ,you'd think with all the bother that has arisen about bringing AEG's in from the far east you'd be pleased that we have responsible retailers to do this for us. Its now costing more, and with delays and everthing it makes more sense to support our inland retailers, which ever you choose. If there is or was an exception, they have, and will sort it out, so stop the knocking guys. this isn't helping anyone.

(by the way, as of this time, I am still the only twit logged onto the IAA website! so where are you lot?, probably in the pub:o)

Advertisement