Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Ryanair * Ryanair * Ryanair *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

They must have been unlucky I know at least 6 people that link worked for

I'm not sure if I can criticize Ryanair here especially that this is not my case but I just talked to this lady who was on chat with them at work and was told pretty lame way her case was closed again. I saw on her screen comment from Ryanair worker that they dont know when and why it was closed and the only way is to apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Ryanair have outdone themselves again with their questionable advertising

They are currently advertsing that flights can be changed (subject to changes in fares and charges), however, there is a major issue when it comes to bags etc

When you book a flight the bags normally cost EUR 22 and priority bording is EUR 10, however, if you try to change the flights these charges double and you basically have to pay the bags and priority boarding again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

jahalpin wrote: »

They are currently advertsing that flights can be changed (subject to changes in fares and charges), however, there is a major issue when it comes to bags etc

When you book a flight the bags normally cost EUR 22 and priority bording is EUR 10, however, if you try to change the flights these charges double and you basically have to pay the bags and priority boarding again

Well well.... just another application of the auld Ryanair maxim..” there’s always new ways to be found to skin a Ryanair passenger..”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

jahalpin wrote: »

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Happened to me last week, had a flight and bag booked from KTW to DUB, changed the flight without issue but they charged me 59PLN again for the bag, after already paying 59PLN for it once already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Has anyone tried availing of the Zero Change Fees policy that are currently advertised on Ryanair flights?

Reading the small print, it says that flights booked by 30 September for travel up to 31 December can be changed free of charge.

Strangely, the Zero Change Fees text only appears on flights up to 30 September. From the small print, I would expect the text to appear on all flights up to 31 December, and then be removed from all flights after 30 September (assuming they decide not to extend the policy).

If it turned out that I wanted to switch a flight (and I can see I have to do it more than 7 days before), can I switch the flight to a completely different route?

I will have no need for any specified seat or extra baggage or any additional extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I think you can change to any route ( unlike Al ?) but the only time I tried to change flights - they were more expensive than available online.

Thanks for the info about being able to change to any route.

Are you saying you can't switch the flights to whatever the then on-line price is for the new option? Do you have to ring a call-centre to do it?

Faro. Flights were going for €40 but ‘replacement ‘ flight were €60.

i took the refund and rebooked. No call centre Involved. Hopefully different now (first lockdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Happyhouse22

Has Ryanair just cancelled anyone else’s flights for summer 2022?

Gad flights to Malta booked for ages and now have been cancelled. Looking online the route has been changed from 7 days a week to 3.

Anyone have any idea why? Thought I heard next summer was going to be very busy for flights. Any other routes affected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You probably don’t need to book that early? I’m in France now and I booked the flights 2 weeks ago.

One thing you can't argue with Ryanair about being is that they're very dynamic. So if the pre-bookings for next summer on one route aren't selling as well as some other route they will switch their planes to give them a better overall yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

They’ve cut some days from cork to faro also. Know a few people who had flights cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Something I don't understand about Ryanair. Their lack of flexibility can cost them money.

I am due to travel to London on Tuesday for a trip related to college. Cant go now because I have to self-isolate. Return flights were a bargain - just €35.

A few days ago I asked if they could cancel my flight and give me some travel credit. They said no. Can only change the flights. If I cant travel next week then I wont need to go again at a later date, so I looked to book flights for next year to Spain instead. I can do this, but they want an additional €90 in change fees.

Here is the stupid part - the London flight for next week is fully booked. If they gave me my €35 in credit they could resell the seats at a much higher price. I would also have booked the Spain flights with them and put an extra couple hundred euros in their hands, but now I wont, I will use AerLingus as I normally do for Spain.

Even though I will not be travelling to London, I am not cancelling the flight so that they can resell it. In fact I will check-in and not turn up, just to ensure they can not sell the seat.

I just dont get the logic from their point of view. Issuing credit for flights is a win-win for them - especially on high demand routes. Thankfully I am only out €35, but I just find it frustrating.

On some flights like yours there might well be opportunities for them to make money, but on others it might cost them and it would probably be impossible to allow a system that will let you be reimbursed for flights where there are now buyers at much higher prices but exclude it where there aren't.

Remember you have 2 free flight switches available to use before the end of December, so even if you have no current plans to travel, what you could do is switch to a "dummy" return flight at a very similar cost a later date (say 6 weeks away) and if other travel plans come to the fore in that time period that you could make use of, switch again. By keeping the flight "live", there is also the possibility that it might be cancelled and you then get an automatic reimbursement. You have to make the changes at least 7 days before the outbound flight though.

I'm in the same position as you, having booked a flight at low cost which even at the point of booking, I knew that there was probably only a 75% chance I would make use of, but booked it anyway because it was cheap and due to the ability to transfer it. I know now I won't be able to use that particular flight and the price has gone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Unfortunately for me I cant change it. I am within the 7 day window so will incur the harsh change fees.

This is a situation that would really suck for somebody that spent a lot on flights and due to no fault of their own had to cancel at short notice. In my case due having to self-isolate. There is no incentive to do the right thing and stay at home - I could easily take the flight on Tuesday, but I am doing what I am supposed to.

Well done on doing the right thing. At least it's only €35.

I'm not sure how much (if any) of that was discretionary (ie paying for bags and seats etc) but for me the possibility that there might always be a reason for not being able to go is a good reason to keep extras to an absolute minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

When they say you can change your flights for free up to 7 days before the flights..... is that 7 clear days? I have flights for next Monday morning, and I'm trying to change them, but change fees are showing (the flights themselves are actually cheaper than the ones I booked).

Am I too late?

Currently in an interminable queue for customer service chat .......

ETA - to answer my own question, finally got through to the chat person, and it's "more than" 7 days - so too late, my fault 🙄

Post edited by HeidiHeidi on

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Be warned folks that Ryanair are on the warpath with checking bag sizes. I have not seen the dreaded crate in operation in past few years and would have said they had softened their stance on the one small bag policy. I had a small bag with wheels, and it fitted under the seat on flight over to UK but got caught with half empty bag coming back. I could fit the soft sided bag in OK but the wheels and carry handle protruded a bit. It is a 'craftbag' and sturdy built to take a sewing machine. I suppose with the fares still low they are looking for new revenue stream. I had to pay £50 and bag was taken and put in hold. I was able to rescue a piece of china and laptop and had a duty free bag to put them in for flight. Be nice if they could sell a small bag that fit their dimensions but with wheels. Things like a bottle of water/laptop/cables all add up in weight. Oh and now some duty free between UK and Ireland if you can be bothered.

As a matter of interest... how are Ryanair with walking on to aircraft with a 'small bag' for at your feet AND a plastic bag of Duty Free drink??

Allowances from Ireland to UK is 4 x Bottles of Spirits so a Duty Free bag could be fair size. Are you expected to out this at your feet with the other 'small' bag??

OR .. are they charging for same???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Duty free bag is allowed. I usually have one from some small purchase or bring one from previous trip. You get a bag even for chocolate and they look for your boarding pass so they can use detail for some Vat issue? It can be very handy to put winter stuff that you might need later when out on tarmac in a downpour waiting to get on plane or a bit of food for later on in your trip. I need Gluten free and it is hard to find anything airside and even harder on a plane. I have not noticed many people with duty free bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

I missed a Ryanair flight, Dublin to Lisbon last week. I used their claims process to try to claim back the taxes. However Ryanair say they "absorbed" the charges, therefore I am not due a refund.

It seems a very sneaky way to avoid paying back the taxes, which I assume they will now keep for themselves.

Has anyone else had this experience and got any satisfaction from challenging Ryanair?

What taxes are payable ??? The irish Government dont have a Tax on Air Travel....

• Registered Users Posts: 30 quitepossibly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I always thought that the "administration charge" for getting a taxes refund was always just enough to negate the actual refund, so never worth your while claiming

They are not taxes in the meaning of Government taxes. These are airport charges applied by the airports to Ryanair. In a real world they would still be paid to the airports even though you didn’t fly BUT they just pocket these themselves. So still no right to these costs back to you......

i thought airport charges/taxes were only paid when you actually fly and Ryanair used unused flights to keep costs down ie the actual fare,which they collected was ‘allocated ‘ to other flights ( to keep flights cheap mostly, . They know how to charge at peak periods)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

(Snip) wrong thread

Post edited by Bargain_Hound on

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Smallglass

i'm travelling from Kerry Airport to DUB and onwards to Edinburgh.Do I have to exit in Dublin and go through security again for onwards flight.No bags,all Ryanair flights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭paddy19

Technically not true but in reality Ryanair charge an administration fee of €20 so not much point unless your Government charges are a bit over €20.

I don't shifty fee administration fees so out of pig iron if it was €21 I'd go for it, but that's just me. If they wanted to, they could and should automatically refund the charges to your credit card.

I have my doubts if the one month limit is legally enforceable but who is going to take on Mick. The useless air regulator CARI ...no chance....

If you do not travel on your booked flight the air fare, fees and charges are non-refundable but you may apply in writing within one month of the date of travel for a refund of the Government Tax paid. Government tax refunds are subject to an administration fee of £17/€20. If the refund amount is less than the applicable administration fee, no refund will be made.

Advertisement