Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray: New town centre

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Thank you. One liners like the one I quoted usually indicate someone looking to start a row!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

I think it's a white elephant Michael. I would be surprised if they could secure the finance for such a large scale project. A paired down version may be on the cards in a year or two, but until then f all will happen. Having planning permission doesn't mean it will go ahead.

What we will end up with is 2 scaled down crappy shopping centres - as the "town centre" has already served only to force ballymore to scale back its plans.

I thought ballymore were not going ahead due to it having no sustainability, that was decided, unless there is an appeal it is not going ahead.

As for the bray town centre, It would be success, i know it is hard to envisage now, but there is plenty of resources in both retail and developers easily have the money, There is a huge demand and it would mean that bray once again becomes a popular destination.

The other centre offers nothing for bray,

Bray should focus on the new braytown centre, It would be an instant success for retailers, there is an established business in the area,
    with easy access to the M50 and N11 and serving both south dublin and north wicklow it would be a shopping centre epicentre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

It's weird the decision is due within the next 10 days and according to pleanala.ie there are more appellant's Im stuggling to get my head around it as Pizarro are listed as an appellant also.
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/230246.htm

Has anyone heard what is happening with this? the decision was pushed to today but now Status: Proposed decision date not available at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭The Chessplayer

I'd be flabbergasted if this ever goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ippd

I noticed the website was changed recently and there was a contact number on the site. I was surprised as I thought this was dead in the water, so I rang up and the person was full of useful information about the development. Apparently it IS still going ahead, they are waiting for an bord pleanála's final decision which was due for March\April 2009 but is now due in August. Once (if) they get approval the next phase would be to complete all architectural drawings (about 8-12 months) and then development would start.

They are in talks with the RPA about the luas route, it looks like it will come down the old connaught road. The dublin road from the corke abbey crossroads (or the roundabout, I'm not sure) back to st john of gods will be widened (4-6 lanes).

Sounds promising and perhaps it will actually get started sometime in the not too distant future ... but who really knows, it's going on such a long time!

Interesting looks like the appeal has been turned down and permission has finally been granted. just happened to take a look today and its showing as being signed on the 3rd of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tippex wrote: »
    Interesting looks like the appeal has been turned down and permission has finally been granted. just happened to take a look today and its showing as being signed on the 3rd of this month.

Yeah looks like ABP has agreed to it

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0610/1224272191603.html

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

That was quick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

600 apartments???? Are the on this planet????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

"While loans associated with the project were expected to go to Nama as soon as this summer, she said Nama had the power to invest to realise the potential of the development." (excerpt from Irish Times article above).

So the taxpayer would be expected to prop us this ludicrous developer led project.
    Planning a new town centre on a flood plain!
    What is to become of the existing town already ravaged by the downturn.

I suspect this is more about providing paper collateral for developers than any real attempt to build anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

Im so sorry to sound so negative but ... have we not endured 12 years of developer drama in this town with the Ballymore/Florentine fiasco . the buildings were half demolished & are half standing yet no one appears to be bothered. 600 apartments??? what about all the idle property up at Waltrim grove - they cant give them away .......

Im a little bit lost TBH..

My take on the florentine is the the council totally ballsed it up.
    If you look at bray over the last 20 years and compare it to greystones in the same period the big difference is the town councils.

Greystones seem to have been progressive whereas bray has just ballsed the lot up.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

My take on the florentine is the the council totally ballsed it up.
    If you look at bray over the last 20 years and compare it to greystones in the same period the big difference is the town councils.

Greystones seem to have been progressive whereas bray has just ballsed the lot up.

Bray Town Council were effectively held to ransom by Ballymore - everyone wanted the florentine centre it was just that Ballymore ****ed over the town

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,825 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones Town Council don't control or run anything - its just a talking shop. Wicklow Co. Co. run Greystones.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Bray Town Council were effectively held to ransom by Ballymore - everyone wanted the florentine centre it was just that Ballymore ****ed over the town

Yes ballymore f***ed over the town but there is no way in hell they should have been allowed and so ultimately it is the councils fault for sitting on their hands for so long.

Advertisement