Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam websites [Read before posting..'has anyone used/bought from..'?]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Don't go with moneygram. Their address on google maps doesn't show that business listed at that address, also a google search would show plenty of recommendations from happy customers if they were offering good deals and had been in operation for some time (though nothing negative seems to show either). The spanish address on their website would also concern me, if it were me I'd be calling Visa tonight just to ensure nothing odd goes through your credit card now or over the next couple of days.

Could be kosher but low price & moneygram have given you cause for concern.

Trailhead Bike Warehouse LLC
    Block 400-450,
    2028 Commerce Drive,
    Hampton, VA 23666,

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Thanks for reply.
    Yeah, the fact that there's little info elsewhere online seems a little concerning also..
    Address in Spain looks a little residential on google maps..
    Have a friend that lives not too far away, I might ask him to call by..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Mean_Mudda

I'd avoid.
    As a merchant they could easily use paypal/moneybookers/google checkout as a more secure payment method from their customers point of view.
    You gotta ask why they don't...

Just to clarify I think trailheadbikes are probably legit due to the reasons above.
    Nothing was taken off my Credit card. If they were scammers I'm sure they would have taken something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Bar123

Purchased from this site, using paypal and it was very smooth despite paypal initially saying the recipient was no longer available. 2 friends also bought from the site and it went smooth also, just an example that they are not all fake.

www.plentystock.com

It looks dodgey and after that paypal message I was sceptical, however there is a claim back system with paypal, and up to I think 30 days you can claim you never received the package and as long as the sender doesn't/can't produce evidence you did (if its registered/you signed for it gives him proof), you get your money back.

Summary: if site takes paypal you can claim back within 30 days (think it's 30 days) if product not received.

• Advertisement

looks like good prices.. could the goods be counterfeit?

You could be bang on harryd2.

The 'how to buy' and 'payment' sections are written in Chinglish, never mind the actual name of the site itself.

If they're of reasonable quality and arrive relatively promptly fair enough, though highly unlikely it's genuine clobber.

There's also always a chance of Customs taking a close look at branded clothing imported from China.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

if site takes paypal you can claim back within 30 days (think it's 30 days) if product not received

Have you ever tried claiming anything back from Paypal? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 97th choice

harryd2 wrote: »
    Just to clarify I think trailheadbikes are probably legit due to the reasons above.
    Nothing was taken off my Credit card. If they were scammers I'm sure they would have taken something.

Hi folks, just joined to give a friendly warning, trailheadbikes is a scam site, they've previously traded as mabikes and icbikes (do a google search on these for more info).

Don't trust any business that wants your money via moneygram or western union!

Hi folks, just joined to give a friendly warning, trailheadbikes is a scam site, they've previously traded as mabikes and icbikes (do a google search on these for more info).

Don't trust any business that wants your money via moneygram or western union!

Thanks for the info. I now see many sites have come online saying such.
    One guy pointed out:
    Their website isn't very well set up (I can access directories on the web server that should be excluded from public access) and some of the PHP errors throw up a local file path of "/home/lcbikesc/public_html/" for this domain "trailheadbikes.com" (as per the OP).
    I might as well put up the response I got from these guys to my original order:
    Hello Harry,

We saw your forum post (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68183027&utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=notify).
    Our accepting Moneygram payments does not make us a scam site. We accept credit card payments from USA and Spain customers only.

Companies such as Eastbay accept Western Union and Moneygram, does it make them a scam? No. http://www.eastbay.com/customerserv/help:westernUnion/

You are under no obligation to buy from us and free to order wherever you wish.

Since your post stated that you "have no recourse" with Moneygram, we have decided to cancel your order. You can order elsewhere.

If you wish to continue using Moneygram, let us know and we will restore your order.

Thanks,

The Trailheadbikes Sales Team
    http://www.trailheadbikes.com/
    It hit me as very unprofessional and that's why I didn't proceed.
    The reason they gave for cancelling was I mentioned I "have no recourse".
    What kinda reason is that..
    For the record, the person who was registered as the moneygram receipient was:
    RECEIVER NAME: Peter Johnson (Accounts Manager / Co-Owner)
    RECEIVER ADDRESS: Calle Santander 95, 48014 Bilbao, Spain. (Our Spain shop)
    ORDER AMOUNT: USD 385.00 or GBP 246.00. (Moneygram will automatically convert the total amount to Euros).
    PURPOSE OF PAYMENT: THB759584964 (Your order number)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 97th choice

trailheadbikes website is down now, has been for a few days. I emailed a few of the US manufacturers to let them know that a site was trying to scam sell their bikes online, so hopefully that is the end of them.

One thing to check when not sure about these type of sites is who owns the domain, in this case they use domains by proxy to hide their ownership, any site that does this should make you nervous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Has anyone had any dealings with this site www.ioffer.com ?

Did you google 'iOffer scam'?

'It started out as a legitimate place to buy stuff cheap. Now the site is overrun with people selling pirated software and copied DVD's. Many sellers do not send you what they were offering. Others don't send anything at all.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Did you google 'iOffer scam'?

'It started out as a legitimate place to buy stuff cheap. Now the site is overrun with people selling pirated software and copied DVD's. Many sellers do not send you what they were offering. Others don't send anything at all.'
    I tried a few sites after a search, couldn't find anything. Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Anyone ever user lowpricedhardware.ie ?

Some prices seem good, site's a bit thrown together, and the contact numbers are some Limerck number and a mobile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 always12

It looks like all the stuff is from Pixmania. drop selling.

always12 wrote: »
    It looks like all the stuff is from Pixmania. drop selling.

Thinking that, but what I'm looking at isn;t in stock in Pixmania, but I don't know how accurate the lowpricehardware stock quotes are!
    It's on the uk pixmania but costs more!

Have you seen they are charging hundreds more than Apple.ie for Mac computers?

Ridiculous.

Phone and address on site so that's a starting point, give 'em a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭fabricator

Anybody used 6230i.co.uk. I was going to buy a 6230i phone from them.

plenty of those phones on ebay.co.uk with shipping to Ire for considerably less ££

• Advertisement

Have you seen they are charging hundreds more than Apple.ie for Mac computers?

Ridiculous.

Phone and address on site so that's a starting point, give 'em a call.

Ya I agree, some (most!) of the prices are insane! To me what it looks like is the site scours the net and duplicates offers and always has them "in stock", so the price I'm looking at may have been for a limited offer and it's still on the site.
    The price is 50 cheaper than anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

Has anyone had any dealings with this site www.ioffer.com ?

hi ,
    i do a bit of selling on ioffer ,
    altho its not a scamming site its mainly full of chinese sellers selling knockoffs ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 zionxx

is a known scam pattern, i found a list of all the websites involved on technonsense:
    cheap win 7 keys fraud
    there's also a detailed description of the pattern, take a look at it, it opens your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kanedmick

antocann wrote: »
    hi ,
    i do a bit of selling on ioffer ,
    altho its not a scamming site its mainly full of chinese sellers selling knockoffs ,

Hi! I came across this ioffer crowd as well.

Has anyone bought any of their incredible USB pen drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

that seller hassold a bit , and seems genuine

they maybe knock offs , or not , but if you pay by paypal , and it arrives ands a knockoff , claim you didnt recieve it or sumthing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anybody ever use this site?
    Have used it for a few things in the past and was very happy with the products.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What do they sell? Is the stuff cheap and of good quality?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Very cheap, they sell everything, anything i ordered has been very good quality. They are based in Hong Kong

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Melion wrote: »
    Very cheap, they sell everything, anything i ordered has been very good quality. They are based in Hong Kong
    Fakes?

Any issue with customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

did you ever order clothes? if so what are sizes like? I ordered from a site similar to this and my XL Ralph Lauren hoodie fitted my 5 foot wife just about right, oh and she's nice and skinny too

Advertisement