Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Survival Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

You sir have no imagination and no idea what you are talking about. You would die on z day.

Please sir Enlighten us. For you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

MarkHall wrote: »
    Please sir Enlighten us. For you.

Meet me at the GPO tomorrow at 2:30 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Trinity would be creepy as hell at night time though ! Loads of space to cover/guard/patrol and any bump or crash in the other side of the building would have me sh1tting it ! There'd have to be about 40+ people in a sectioned off, well patrolled and cleaned out fortified area for me to feel safe in Trinity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The Central Mental out in Dundrum would seem to a good spot, that bloody wall is high enough to keep a plane out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 maximus22

Im getting a nice rain coat..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

If I was near my house I would peg it towards wheat field prison. A yard to grow crops and a strong enough fortification. Plus we would have a very diverse pool of talent from the prisoners. Think about it, if you were stuck in an area of d4 how many manual laborers or cleaners would you find? Those are skills that would be needed not fecking lawyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

Not the Chruch Itself but I supose Juries might provide shelter for a few Days. Plus there'd be a good rate of Zombie kills by the locals around there.

Once had a mate reckomend Limerick as an idea location dude to all the knife armed folks that you hear about down there.
    i live near limreck and it would be a much better place for survival-a big castle next to the shannon plus the roaming brigades of knackers and scumbags is a help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭superboy

Jesus Juice, I like your style. but i think the waters of the liffey in dublin would be second to none in terms of zombie destruction. I know the smell of it would actually wake the dead, but all we'd have to do is push them into it....... Hmmm actually some may just mutate into super zombies... oh feck didnt think this through. Maybe some pre Z-day experiments are needed......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Think about it, if you were stuck in an area of d4 how many manual laborers or cleaners would you find? Those are skills that would be needed not fecking lawyers.
    Aha, but you''re not thinking like a gimlet eyed ruthless post apocalyptic tinpot tyrant here, are you? Lawyers=manual labourers and cleaners, or else they can see how the ravenous walking dead deal with a court order. You keep the ex-cons and bully boys for your bodyguard;)

If I was near my house I would peg it towards wheat field prison. A yard to grow crops and a strong enough fortification. Plus we would have a very diverse pool of talent from the prisoners. Think about it, if you were stuck in an area of d4 how many manual laborers or cleaners would you find? Those are skills that would be needed not fecking lawyers.

I'd try and release the general population. Let them out into the big open world. Wouldn't do to rely on them to have your back when it goes pear shape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I know this is supposed to be 1km of the liffey but Im suprised no one has really thought of UCD. Its a series of large concrete buildings with limited access. For example the majority of doors could be sealed quite easily. There is also an underground tunnel linking most buildings and an above ground walkway. THere are also lots of books to build forts and whatnot but most importantly the national virus research lab for to solve the mystery of the zombies while there is the agricultural science building ( thats food sorted ) the students union (entertainment sorted) , the watertower (water sorted) and the medicine buidling (cancer sorted)
    Plus panoramic views of the city and sea so a quick escape to Dun Laoghaire and the boats.

+1 hot D4 burds

aerials.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

Has anyone thought of the Stephens Green Centre, all the entrances are ground level, easy enough to block off with the shutters or big vehicles.

Also the Jervis centre, ya got the big underground tesco for all your canned n jarred needs, and the entrances would also be fairly easy to block off.

Im tellin ya shopping centres are the key! :D

Im seeing a lot of prison suggestions too, good idea security-wise, and inmates would obviously be good for keeping the Zs at bay if it came to it. But what could ya do about food, there'd be a lotta people, inmates plus civilians, you'd need truck loads of long lasting food and it wouldnt be easy to keep in a prison...thieves n all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eoghan_dubhdara

the.clash

Jabcity. You must always releash the Prision population into the wild the first chance you get. There is the odd chance that they might form some wierd tribal group and comeback to haunt you later on. But that's better than keeping them in there with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Jabcity

Jabcity. You must always releash the Prision population into the wild the first chance you get. There is the odd chance that they might form some wierd tribal group and comeback to haunt you later on. But that's better than keeping them in there with you.

I have to disagree with you there, in the case of lettin them out wouldnt they be harder to kill if they turned? I think there might be an advantage in having hardcore murderers on your side rather than against you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 bloodedrose

I'd have to agree with the UCD plan. My zombie plan for *years* has bene to hide out in the Stat dept in UCD. The only entry points are the fire exit stairs, and the lifts.
    Bring the lifts up to the top floor and then hit the emergency stops.
    block off the stairs,
    There are two or three fire doors to shut the zombies off with, and in the Stat dept itself there is water, and vending machines and nice couch things to sleep on.
    And its on the fifth floor, so you are safe from Veloceraptors too.

But within 1km of the Liffey... Hmm..

Hickeys on Henry St? I always get lost in there, and Im not a zombie!

Best bet is a building with big metal shutters, and few windows on the bottom floor. I was thinking about the Gresham Hotel, but there is a problem with roof access from the surrounding zombie infested building...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Bring the lifts up to the top floor and then hit the emergency stops.
    block off the stairs,
    There are two or three fire doors to shut the zombies off with, and in the Stat dept itself there is water, and vending machines and nice couch things to sleep on.

The war against the UNDEAD will still be raging by the time you have run out of drifter bars and packets of skittles. This diet will also weaken you and lessen your chances of survival in a zombie encounter.

People I think a lot of you arent thinking this through.

That's alright it is the way of the Jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Jabcity wrote: »
    Has anyone thought of the Stephens Green Centre, all the entrances are ground level, easy enough to block off with the shutters or big vehicles.

Also the Jervis centre, ya got the big underground tesco for all your canned n jarred needs, and the entrances would also be fairly easy to block off.

Im tellin ya shopping centres are the key! :D

Im seeing a lot of prison suggestions too, good idea security-wise, and inmates would obviously be good for keeping the Zs at bay if it came to it. But what could ya do about food, there'd be a lotta people, inmates plus civilians, you'd need truck loads of long lasting food and it wouldnt be easy to keep in a prison...thieves n all

No No No prisons are the wrong way to go...think about yea there are plenty of jail birdsaround but really will they help you or kill you they'd throw you to the zombies before they protected you...

Initially I would have to say establishing a base would be the best way to go...if the first thing you do is run for the country then you will be stuck with everyone else in traffic jams where you would be a siiting duck for the zombie hoards....

The best place would be Trinity I suppose but I think it would need a good bit of work though because the fences are a little low but it has plenty of resources...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,380 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Collins Barraks Maybe, the entrances have gates that we can lock and they have an old armoury, of course old being from about a 100 years to 50 years ago but still i'm sure we could muster something up, they also have a canteen and a pub:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,953 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How about we find the new Govt bunker and move in there.?Failing that local CD nuke shelters????

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Man has anyone thought about a little thing called 'Clearance'!, sure we can use many of the buildings mentioned but you have to make sure Z's have not already taken up residency.

The bigger the building, the more spaces to check and the older the building, the more twists, turns for them to hide. The building needs to be of new design, like an office...up around Grand Canal Dock, its a very open plan area which aids visibility and you're right on the liffey The U2 tower will be up in a year or two there...that could be the ticket.

Man has anyone thought about a little thing called 'Clearance'!, sure we can use many of the buildings mentioned but you have to make sure Z's have not already taken up residency.

The bigger the building, the more spaces to check and the older the building, the more twists, turns for them to hide. The building needs to be of new design, like an office...up around Grand Canal Dock, its a very open plan area which aids visibility and you're right on the liffey The U2 tower will be up in a year or two there...that could be the ticket.

Also should we really be discussing our plans so openly what if the infected/zombies retain their old memories..that would mean they already know our plans...if some of the posters here get infected that is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

I'd have to agree with the UCD plan. My zombie plan for *years* has bene to hide out in the Stat dept in UCD. The only entry points are the fire exit stairs, and the lifts. `

NOt according to the CAO

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Spike440

The Ocean Bar Building on Charlotte Quay Dock:

- lots of floors/lots of room
    - good lookout points
    - currently residential so access to mod cons/easy to clear
    - land access by two narrow walkways
    - access to the canal/liffey/sea
    - easy to make sorties up the Liffey for food/supplies
    - fully stocked bar on the ground floor for consumption / Molotovs

map_oceanbar_sm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Bajingo wrote: »
    Also should we really be discussing our plans so openly what if the infected/zombies retain their old memories..that would mean they already know our plans...if some of the posters here get infected that is...

I cant imagine that they would have the dexterity or moreover be able to overcome their overriding compulsion to feast on skin and brains.

I cant imagine that they would have the dexterity or moreover be able to overcome their overriding compulsion to feast on skin and brains.

Who knows how powerful the mind can be(even in a zombie state)...we often do things supconciously...so who knows what they will remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

i was originally thinking Dundrum town centre but i think its too big and has too much glass fronts to hold off an attack the mint in sandyford iron gate 12 ft walls and more walls on the inside guard towers all around the perimiter and the building itself is a fortress. But the mental hospital main gates followed by electrified gates on the inside
    as long as you could secure the outer gate and have good back up on the electrified one as well as keep generators going for it you're sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

The problem with shopping centers is the amount of glass fronts, as they would be easily broken.

Would the four courts be a good option? It's gated with some open areas, fairly big. Close to the river.
    The only thing is that there might be too many low windows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

I am going to say any Barracks or Dundrum Town Centre.

Advertisement