Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Survival Plan

Options
  • 09-07-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Ok as put forward in the suggestions ...

to fortify dublin against the zombies..... Need a location and fortifications .etc etc

This is just city. from lets say 1 mile radius of the liffey.

I put forward central bank. detached building. easily locked down. underground secure garage.

suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

NCAD, Thomas St.

Walls & strong high fences. Front windows have riot shutters. Plenty of tools for defensive & offensive use. Canteen in basement for food. Plenty of levels, wooden stairs means they can be cut down easy and replaced with ladders in case of the front walls coming down.

Only preperations is blocking & concreting the windows in the basement of one area.

The place can easily be divided too, in case of the defences going down.

I think Central Bank would be too small. There's a Lidl down the road from NCAD, and if we got access to a field at the side, which is also walled off from the public, it could be used for growing crops in the long haul.

Edit: Actually, they're introducing a new part with a glass front, but it's on Thomas St, so I presume it's riot proof glass :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

nice!!! never was there.

there will be some amount of remedial work needed to all locations so that should not deter anyone.

central bank was an option for its security .

how about trinity? lots of green space for farming. metal fences the whole way around. again few concrete blocks here and there and you would have a frtress. lots of accomadation....scince labs for research. close to the porter house for cocktails!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Jesus, I'm such a nerd. I was thinking of Trinity the other week, then I remember the new Science Gallery, and a few other parts would be key weaknesses.

screw gallleries. a few concrete bollards = fortress.

i will have to think about it. but if you demolished/ burnt surrounding buildings to create dead zone. lots of construction equipment knocking around would be no problem.

i think what would happen would be to start small.

like the bank. establish a base. a refuge!!

gain numbers then with the like of trinity which is across the road.

slowly close it up.

then it would be like a fish net. any zombies on the inside are trapped in there. kill them then turf them outside. then move from the bank to trinity and start life there? maybe ? what you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think someone pointed out BOI across from trinners has no windows......

• Advertisement

Roen wrote: »
    I think someone pointed out BOI across from trinners has no windows......

yeah very secure but hard to see out.

i wonder how big the sewers are beneth that road could they join up? if so possible access route?

problem is with these 2 locations is breaking into them in the first place without damaging what you need to protect yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Well the main thing for me is that whatever about initial security, there has to be a plethora of escape routes.
    Lets face it, someone will cock up, they always do. Add the fact that Z's are relentless and any stronghold can only ever be seen as a temporary shelter.

Multiple land routes, sea/river and an air alternative are a must. But that's going to be hard to find in all in one building....

probably not going to happen in dublin. thats why i said initiall secuirty in central bank. then have a city base in trinity. you can make anywhere easy to get out of but hard to get into.

well maybe somewhere down near stephens green. you have the fenced off garden there. not far from the canal.

the thing with trinity its literally 300m from the liffey and if you had a zodiac or something like that you can get to any plcae along the coast.

trintiy would be a long term plan though. as you said there really would be no initial security there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Go old school on this. The GPO. That place could survive British shelling! Oh wait...

Well in all fairness its a good northside stronghold. windows hard to climb into and if we need anypost sent to the counties it will be there the next day!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Top of Liberty Hall and a few gliders. Would take them ages to get up (turn off the lifts).

Actually, I think the tax office off o'connell street would be good. They be waiting ages!

Actually, Club M ftw. Pretty secure. Plus its crap, the zombies would leave very quickly

what does ftw mean?

yeah club m!!! no windows. lots of drink though!!! no good. close to central bank. ha ha

we will lock it up. use it as a bar for our central bank

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,430 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I like your thinking!! Hmm, Zombie women. Bet theyre mad duurty! lol

FTW = For the Win

ah but i think the non zombie girls would be mort ...... satifying.... especially when you "save" them.

(they do not need to know that the zombies beating on their house was your mates doing you a favour!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I like the old school idea so id have to say somewhere like dublin castle. My least favoured place would be the catacombs under christchurch!
    I also think that if a zombie apocalypse does ever break out we should arrange a meeting place where the contributers to this forum can assemble to initiate our survival plan. Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

Martron wrote: »
    i will have to think about it. but if you demolished/ burnt surrounding buildings to create dead zone. lots of construction equipment knocking around would be no problem.
    You need to get medieval on their asses, and I mean that quite literally. Knock down a few hundred metres wide strip of city in a circle around your designated fortress, then fire the rest of the city, in the finest traditions of disease control of our feudal ancestors. Establish roving patrols to mop up whatever runs out of the blaze, and Robert's your father's brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

jiggajt wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    I'll be floating by in a hijacked oil tanker with the fortuitously rescued contents of a ballerina troupe onboard, but I'll be sure to wave, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

I was thinking about this again and conventional "zombie survival" wisdom dictates that survivors should head to areas with low population densities. Staying in the cities is really a bad idea. Dublin is the worst place you could be really. Id try and make my way to connemara and wait until the zombies had exhausted all their food sources before returning to take my rightful place as taoiseach. All hail me the king of the post "zombie outbreak" apocolyptic world! (and by world i mean Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Aran Islands FTW! feck all people there and plenty of space to grow crops etc.

ideally i would love to go to the algarve in the case of zombie invasion but this is the dublin city survival thread...... its where wyou would go initially in dublin ...wht building ....how you would reinforce it how to establish communications.... etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Duff wrote: »
    Aran Islands FTW! feck all people there and plenty of space to grow crops etc.
    But the Dead can just wander up from the beach.

Trinty is very doable with some minor Work. It's all about sectioning off the weak pionts.
    Stuff like the Train tracks going over it and the new Glass section are easly taken care of with a few Pallests and Bins in the Right spots.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,043 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stephen's Green shopping centre - why mess with the classics?

Cafe on the top floor has a good lookout spot and it's on a corner you can see in two different directions.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

While shopping centers are a classic that particular one is laid out like a death trap. Too much clutter on the fround and the upper levels are far too skinny for advoiding stuff.

SGSC= Bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Can zombies ''swim'' I know it day of the dead they just walked under the water but surely in real life they would need oxygen to survive?..If not just sit in the middle of the liffey on a medium sized yacht and stock up with food.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭cono121

Christchurch area!!!

Not the Chruch Itself but I supose Juries might provide shelter for a few Days. Plus there'd be a good rate of Zombie kills by the locals around there.

Once had a mate reckomend Limerick as an idea location dude to all the knife armed folks that you hear about down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Garda HQ in the phenoix park, it had guns.
    The acess ponts to the park can be closed off there is deer and fresh water as well and the place can be secured bit by bit with there being plenty of buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Wacker

Duff wrote: »
    Can zombies ''swim'' I know it day of the dead they just walked under the water but surely in real life they would need oxygen to survive?..If not just sit in the middle of the liffey on a medium sized yacht and stock up with food.
    Well the thing about Zombies is that they're deade already, so they don't need anything to survive. They can absolutely walk through water. The thing is that fast flowing water could take them off-course or take them out to sea.

Regarding the ideas already mentioned, the GPO wouldn't work at all, as it is too small. The Zs would break the door down ver quickly, and there aren't many decent escape routes.
    Central Bank would be impregnable with just a little work, but supplies would be a problem very quickly.
    Trinity would be a lot better, but the problem is that it might be too big. Rigid discipline would be required to ensure that the people there are sufficiently heartless; all it takes is for one person to let in an infected who was begging for shelter, and then security is compromised.
    The core of the problem is that without access to guns, no fixed location can hold out for too long once the Zs know you're there. I think you'd do better by keeping mobile until well out of the city, as Dublin is justy too densely populated. One of the Blasket Islands would work a charm, once strict discipline is enforced to ensure that infected are discovered and killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Magazine Fort in Phoenix Park, good strong walls, moat, plus you could use it as a base to secure the rest of the park to grow stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Wacker wrote: »

Regarding the ideas already mentioned, the GPO wouldn't work at all, as it is too small. The Zs would break the door down ver quickly, and there aren't many decent escape routes.

You sir have no imagination and no idea what you are talking about. You would die on z day.

Advertisement