Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 railway bridge at Cannistown seems to be missing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Cllr Tommy Reilly said he didn’t believe that €2 a day was excessive for somebody travelling into the city for a day but felt there should be good reductions for regular commuters.
    €2 parking + c.€3.00 tolls (return) + €5 (?) return train ticket

So about €10 to take the train, on top of you petrol costs etc?

Circa €13 Euros for Kells people?

No chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

This has turned into absolute farce.

If the M3 is to be raised up onto an embankment to allow the railway underneath, then the new road flyover will have to be demolished. Dempseys statement has avoided the issue. Meath people need to demand real answers here.
    The minister also noted a report that work on the M3 motorway had impacted on the proposed rail route. Mr Dempsey said it was a condition of the M3 planning permission that the path of the rail line to Navan would be allowed for and accomodated. “The NRA (National Roads Authority), like everybody else, will comply with its planning permission,” he said.

This is not happening at all.
    Construction work on the M3 would allow for the necessary work to facilitate the new Navan rail line, added the Transport Minister. “Work has not yet commenced on the relevant section of the motorway but, when it does, full account will be taken of the terms of its planning permission,” he said.

Total baloney. Work is well underway. But what are the terms of its planning permission. Nobody in control appears to know or want to admit.
    Cllr Holloway, however, voiced scepticism about the Navan rail project. He said that the scoping study, completed late last year, had come down on the side of using the alignment of the old railway line to Navan, adding that the work currently underway on the M3 in the area of Cannistown made “no provision for an underpass or other mechanism for a proposed intersection of a railway with the motorway”.

That councillor has it figured out anyway.
    He said he had raised this issue at council level last year and was informed of some “embankment” being in place, something he found “unconvincing” then. He said that the absence of a serious plan to address this issue suggested to him that any assurances from Minister Dempsey lacked credibility.

Dempsey should be exposed. Many of us were lead to believe there was a motorway embankment planned in cannistown. Its certainly not there now. Im convinced that this issue could bring Dempsey down unless there's something we havent been told about the favoured route. As I said before the rail alignment is blocked by the M3 and the realigned local road. The only way across is by a massive viaduct. Did IE factor this into their scopping study I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wonder did Dick Fearn know more than we know now?

Victor wrote: »
    I wonder did Dick Fearn know more than we know now?

IE don't actually want to build this line. Back in the late 90s, both themselves and MCC were happy to report that Dunboyne Navan wasn't feasible on the basis of population density between the towns. Their conclusion was Clonsilla - Dunboyne/Pace. T21 factored in the rest of the route because Dempsey kept making promises since the late 90s. The M3 has revealed the truth after both MCC and IE did their best to offset the sewer main fiasco. (ultimately unsuccessful, I might add.) A change of Government would have set it straight and killed it off on the grounds of cost. If the rotten track had been there, then work would be underway as we speak, like the WRC. For many years both MCC and IE have ignored the route in terms of alignment protection. The NRA got free rein. The Government havent a clue and Dempsey talks through his waste pipe. Navna will not happen. It was never going to happen. The M3 tolls would be seriously undermined by a railway. Thats why the P and R at Pace is located within the toll area. Grab all Fianna fail economics. Once the M3 is opened, demand for the railway will die amongst voters as joe public speeds towards the M50. FF knew this and gambled on it. Its over and has been over since before T21 was even announced. Am I the only commentator that knew this.

I will not be walking naked from Drumree to Navan palying a banjo. Can't wait to remind Barry Kenny of IE about our chat on the last word back in June 07.:D

Approximate layout of alignment and roads.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Approximate layout of alignment and roads.
    Spot on. The Blackbull overpass 'gap' referred to above where the Trim road bridge is being build to cross the M3, has been filled. The Trim road/M3 embankment now completely severs the railway alignment.

RIP Navan railway project. They hadn't even the decency to pretend they had some intention to open it or even leave accomodation to open in for future generations
    DWCommuter wrote: »
    Am I the only commentator that knew this.
    Ah, no we all knew that they weren't serious about it, like they aren't serious about half of Transport 21. You were just the only one that felt so strongly about the lies that you were prepared to expose your bare @rse, sorry I mean expose the bare facts on the ground relating it! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

IIMII wrote: »
    The Blackbull overpass 'gap' referred to above where the Trim road bridge is being build to cross the M3, has been filled. The Trim road/M3 embankment now completely severs the railway alignment.

Did ABP not stipulate that it should be otherwise ?? I thought they did !

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Did ABP not stipulate that it should be otherwise ?? I thought they did !
    Not at this site or any of the other spots where the alignment is crossed by local/national/new feeder roads. Their order related only to where the M3 itself severed the allignment and the site of the sizable intersection at Pace (1km south of the Trim road site).

After these two points, the Trim road site is the most threatening encrosion of the M3 projject as a circa 30 foot high embankment is being built (rather is built as of this week) across the alignment to raise the Trim-Dublin road over the M3.

Whilst the M3 obviously travels beneath the Dublin-Trim road at this point, the thoughful people at Meath County Council didn't see fit to similarly accomodate the railway at this point even though the alignment is only 15-20 feet away from the M3

Getting the bridges at Pace and Cannistown were the two most important victories. The third major point was the Trim road, and contigency at every other point where the M3 project encroached upon the alignment should have been designed to accomodate reopening of the line. That is if MCC and the Department of Transport were serious about reopening the line in an efficient, cost effective manner that didn't involve having to close and rebuild sections in the future of the soon to be built M3 project

It didn't and that's why there will never be a Dunshaughlin town centre station if by some miracle the line is ever reopened in the face of MCC attempts to kill it.

I would inform ABP forthwith that the Rail Alignment is being interfered with by the M3 construction consortium and to ask them to refer to the evidence of a Ms Joyce who told the ABP inspector that the preservation of the alignment was a design constraint ...IE an absolute .

Ms Joyce represented MCC at the M3 enquiry over the section around the Trim Road , MCC are in contempt of ABP ( technically in contempt of the high Court ) by not acting now to preserve that alignment they swore to the Board they would.

Problem is:

'Ms Joyce replied their brief was not to prevent it’s [railway’s] reopening and outlined how they had accommodated the rail corridor, including a proposed crossing of the rail line by the R125 Trim road where they had provided sufficient clearance for the railway to go under the Trim road in the future.’'

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/MS2/RMS2004-PART2.pdf

It only refers to clearance, not a bridge. It's a solid embankment at this point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Xadtek

Problem is:

'Ms Joyce replied their brief was not to prevent it’s [railway’s] reopening and outlined how they had accommodated the rail corridor, including a proposed crossing of the rail line by the R125 Trim road where they had provided sufficient clearance for the railway to go under the Trim road in the future.’'

http://www.pleanala.ie/documents/reports/MS2/RMS2004-PART2.pdf

It only refers to clearance, not a bridge. It's a solid embankment at this point

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can there be "clearance" for the railway if there's a 30 foot high solid embankment in its path? Surely "clearance" means there must be a gap or passage of some kind in place?

Still, from looking through that document, there doesn't actually appear to be any reference to the Trim road (R154) at this point. Ms Joyce is actually talking about the new R125 link road near Drumree.

from page 9 of the document:
    She said the new R125 Trim Road started at the Dunshaughlin Interchange and ran westwards to the south of the existing R125 to join with the R154 at Merrywell and it crossed over the disused Clonsilla to Navan rail line at Drumree where clearance was allowed for a future re-opening of the rail line, the total length of the new R125 being 2.26 kms.

It would be interesting to see what's going on at that point. Is the construction of that link road providing the necessary clearance?

(I know there's a proposal to pull the rail line right up alongside the M3 at this point so as to bring it as near as possible to Dunshaughlin without actually crossing the M3 but presumably the link road should still be built according to the design outlined by Ms Joyce.)

It seems strange that provision is made for the railway in the design of the R125 link road yet a solid embankment is placed in its way on the R154 Trim road at Blackbull.

from page 44:
    Mr. O'Donnell asked what was the difference in level between the existing and new roads and when Ms Joyce said the two were at much the same level, he asked why the road could not have been moved in the other direction where there were no houses. Ms Joyce replied that this had already been explained in a letter to Mrs. Peters and said the land there was the disused railway corridor of the Clonsilla to Navan Railway line and they had to keep that clear under the SPGs

I can't figure out how that statement squares with blocking it just a short distance away at the R154 embankment.

Did the Scoping Study have anything to say about this? I mean how could they arrive at a figure for the cost of the project without taking into account the costs of dealing with these obstructions? Did they take a look at the route at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭armada104

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having trouble following this. Could someone please explain to me why ABP aren't in a position to act against the NRA if they haven't built what they were supposed to?

armada104 wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but I'm having trouble following this. Could someone please explain to me why ABP aren't in a position to act against the NRA if they haven't built what they were supposed to?

Because nobody is actually sure or willing to accurately confirm what was supposed to be built in order to protect the rail alignment at cannistown. Personally, I was not aware of the interference caused by the realigned trim road at black bull, until I saw construction a few weeks back. It appears that ABP weren't aware of it either at any stage of planning the M3. I can find no reference to it. IE would have known and the M3 design team would have known, but all stayed quite. All that remains now is to drag Dempsey and MCC out into the public domain and explain to the people why a railway to Navan will never be built along that route. Then put Navan - Drogheda - Dublin, back in the hunt years later than it could have happened.

Good luck with getting Noel Dempsey to ever tell the truth ....or even an approximation to the truth .

Maybe some clear concise Dáil questions need to be fed to a representative from Cavan/Monaghan/Meath for submission to Dempsey .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Am I missing something here? Has the issue of this bridge been covered on RTE television or the National newspapers and, if not, why not? Only last night there was yet another RTE tv report about the motorway and some nonsense about a Heritage Council scheme - not a mention of the missing bridge! The news this weather is so boring (Lisbon, Global Warming and Barrack....Obama etc) that I try to miss it whenever possible, so I may have missed all the coverage this scandal has had. Anybody know?:confused:

Xadtek wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but how can there be "clearance" for the railway if there's a 30 foot high solid embankment in its path? Surely "clearance" means there must be a gap or passage of some kind in place?
    In such a context, it could be argued that clearance is dimensional clearance only.

Daire O'Brien, Irish IndependentThursday July 24 2008

I would strongly advise all good citizens to be vigilant for attempts to cut back on infrastructure spending and, more heinously, agreed infrastructure projects.
    Strategic controlled infrastructure spending is the fiscal equivalent of prudent long-term investment with the added bonus of priming the economy now.
    Long-term thinking must not fall victim to political expediency.
    Social welfare cuts or public sector pay freezes have a direct negative correlation to the number of Xs put next to Government candidates in ballot boxes.
    The electoral ramifications of cutting -- or deliberately slowcoaching -- public infrastructure projects is a vaguer science.
    After all, while social welfare and public service cuts stoke anger in all constituencies, shelving expensive infrastructure spreads the pain over a thin geographical (electoral) base.
    Don't forget this is no longer Bertieland.
    While we might think that the same guys (sorry Mary) have been in charge forever, in the eyes of the current leadership, they have only just begun and, it's fair to assume, everything is on the table including the much vaunted reopening of the Navan rail corridor.
    According to the Department of Transport, contracts for the first 7.5km section of the line are to be issued in September.
    Hmmm. Many are not so sure. Keen railway watchers point to the absence of any work on the crucial Cannistown Railway Bridge section of the M3.
    The M3 is steaming ahead, but without any sign of life at the aforementioned bridge.
    If the bridge ain't being built it stands to reason that the rail line ain't being built either.
    Surely, as a Meath man, the Transport Minister couldn't let this flagship project be mothballed.
    Any news Noel?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/this-is-no-time-to-apply-the-brakes-on-spending-for-infrastructure-plans-1439127.html

I would strongly advise all good citizens to be vigilant for attempts to cut back on infrastructure spending and, more heinously, agreed infrastructure projects.

Agreed by whom ?? The Navan rail line is a figment of Dempsey's imagination and now...by cruel fate....Cowen gave him a simple task.

Either

1. He lies blusters yahoos and obfuscates until he is moved out of Transport just like Frank Fahey does on the N18 and N17 and N6 Galway Bypass ....although Frank has just started to admit the WRC project will go no further.

2. He provides leadership by burying the project , apologises to the people of Meath for misleading them for years, and admits the project is a dead duck in the current fiscal climate . It will not be delivered by 2025 , never mind 2015 .

Politicians of Dempseys calibre will always follow option 1, Cowen notes this and therefore Dempsey will never be promoted while Cowen is Taoiseach.

Can anyone confirm whether there is any truth in the rumour that Dempsey personally bought the meathontrack.com domain last month ????

• Advertisement

It seems to be held by a proxy at the moment http://www.who.is/whois-com/ip-address/meathontrack.com/

It's only worth having a campaign if it can be won. This generation of politicians have no interest in any public transport projects, and the only party (the Greens) that did have a genuine interest in public transport in Meath went from gamekeepers to poachers, trading their ideals on transport for the environment portfolio.

No point flogging a dead horse either, unless you are prepared to nag the [EMAIL="w@nkers"]w@nkers[/EMAIL] until 2015 and still end up with nothing to show for it - there is no intention on the part of the government to reopen this line at present. The best anyone with an interest in public transport and grid-lock solutions can hope for is that the alignment will be preserved for some future date.

Amd even that modest goal seems unattainable these days

Well, there has been no change to the design of the M3 at Cannistown, so as far as I can tell they have just gone against the ABP condition, probably eluding it by strong-arming IÉ.

It's incredible that they would do this, between this and their pipes they have made this project too expensive to build.

w-anchors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

Am I missing something here? Has the issue of this bridge been covered on RTE television or the National newspapers and, if not, why not?

because RTE is a licence payer funded propganda machine for the Irish political and social elite. We are forced to pay them a tax so they can fill us with bull**** which functions as a smokescreen against the real crap being pulled. The likes of Charlie Bird, George 'bi-polar bear' Lee work for political parties, and the big business/trade union cabal. They are employed to tell us arse. Same for all the other media.

Do you really think that RTE's borderline psychotic obsession with the National Pay Deal really amounts to anything tagible or meaninful. RTE is there to HIDE the truth from the people - give them meaningless issues and nobody will notice the real stuff going on. The Navan Rail story is being smothered in non-issues like the National Pay Deal to keep the Irish people in the dark of what really goes on in this country and it makes the worst Haughey stuff look like child's play.

There is no more importance to the National Pay Deal as there is to Brirtnay's Spears hair comeback. They represent the same agenda. Keep the masses worried about nothing and the politicians, big business types and trade union colaborators are it the clear. Global Warming same thing, all made up crap and it goes on and on and on so we ignore the real issues. Gore Vidal has a great quote about polticians being genetically terrified of democracy so they created the media and bogus taxation to keep it at bay.

next time you pay your TV licience think about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Nostradamus

and the only party (the Greens) that did have a genuine interest in public transport in Meath went from gamekeepers to poachers, trading their ideals on transport for the environment portfolio.

Greens, Labour Fianna Fail, Fine Gael all the same. It's only their lies which separates them. Once in the office that we get to see them for what they are and the media is there to tell us that "the Greens sold out" which is not true at all as they are just being what they always were without the lies.

All a big game. Navan needs a mouthy catholic cleric to swing his roasary beads over his head and the Freemasons in Kildare Street will start writing cheques.

I'd pretty much concluded the Navan rail line was dead on the basis of the evidence presented in this thread but then I spotted this article from this week's Meath Chronicle.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/articles/1/31141/
    Plan unveiled to re-route rail line to Dunshaughlin
    By Paul Murphy

A radical plan which would see part of the restored rail line between Navan and Dublin located east rather than west of the M3 motorway, taking in the towns of Dunshaughlin and Ratoath, was revealed this week by a consortium of developers and landowners.
    Consultants for Iarnrod Eireann and Meath County Council have already carried out a scoping study on a possible route for the rail line, which produced nine options. These have been reduced to two options, one of which (Irish Rail Route 3) takes a direction from Pace, then proceeds directly west of Dunshaughlin before moving on to Kilmessan.
    Under this option, the railway station serving Dunshaughlin would be located about a kilometre and a half from the town, and the station would be separated from the town by the Dunshaughlin interchange on the M3.
    The proposers of an alternative option – developers Duignan & McCarthy, J Stanley, JH Real Estate (Harris), John O’Meara, Menolly Homes, PJ Molloy, and WJ Murphy – are suggesting a rail route veering right from the Pace-Black Bull area, proceeding east of Dunshaughlin (with a rail station within walking distance of the town), before crossing a bridge over the M3 and then rejoining the westerly route on towards Kilmessan.
    Revealing the report on the proposal for an easterly option, consultants Clifton Scannell Emerson Associates, Fitzpatrick & Associates and Tiros Resources, said that the route they proposed would provide a much better rail service to Dunshaughlin, attract an extra 700-900 passengers per day, generate significantly higher revenues for the rail operator, and attract substantial additional section 49 supplementary contributions (estimated at an extra €9.5 million).
    They also say that the plan would provide significant environmental benefits, including cuts in greenhouse gases by the increased use of public transport; provide for the orderly development of Dunshaughlin with a coherent urban structure based on the existing built up area, and avoid motorway severance by facilitating the provision of appropriately-located land to enable Dunshaughlin to develop in a sustainable way.
    Local county councillor Brian Fitzgerald said this week that he regarded the proposal as “viable, especially from the point of view of the development of Dunshaughlin and Ratoath”.
    He added: “Under the proposals for the route suggested by Iarnrod Eireann, a station for Dunshaughlin would be located west of the Dunshaughlin interchange. To attempt to bring potential rail passengers into a situation where they would have to negotiate a vast interchange would be foolish, in my view.”
    Town planning consultant Douglas Hyde, acting for the group, told the Meath Chronicle this week that the rail route proposed for east of Dunshaughlin was the most sensible and viable one which would be far more advantageous to the development of the county, and especially Dunshaughlin and Ratoath, than the route proposed for the west of Dunshaughlin. This particular modification of Irish Rail Route 4 would see an overall reduction in costs of €17 million.
    “This reduction in capital costs, together with the increased passenger patronage and greater supplementary development contributions, estimated at an additional €20 million and €9.5 million, respectively, means that Route 4 is comparable to Route 3 in terms of overall cost,” he said.
    He added that the engineering advantages would be immense, including avoiding the need to bridge the four-lane parallel link road that runs between Pace and Black Bull; using the under-bridge on the Trim Road at Black Bull (now under construction), and avoiding the need to bridge across the Ratoath Road at Black Bull, which would require property acquisition, including houses.
    It would also avoid the need to reposition the Dunsany roundabout, avoid the need to acquire dwellings at approaches to the north M3 bridge, eliminate the need for two road bridges at the approaches to the northern M3 bridge, and require shorter bridge crossing of the motorway.

There are some very influential developers involved in that proposal. If they're putting forward plans for the line then it's hard to square that with the idea that the whole project is being secretly sabotaged. The route proposed rejoins the old alignment after Dunshaughlin and continues along through where the Cannistown bridge is supposed to be. So I don't know what's going on but I wouldn't really have expected to see anything like this after reading about the situation with the bridge.
    Well, there has been no change to the design of the M3 at Cannistown, so as far as I can tell they have just gone against the ABP condition, probably eluding it by strong-arming IÉ.

It's incredible that they would do this, between this and their pipes they have made this project too expensive to build.

w-anchors

What actually has happened? Has construction continued exactly as if nothing has changed? Have they it tarmaced now?

I just can't figure out what's going on if these guys are backing the project (even if they're looking for a deviation to the east of Dunshaughlin as part of the plan).

Xadtek wrote: »
    I'd pretty much concluded the Navan rail line was dead on the basis of the evidence presented in this thread but then I spotted this article from this week's Meath Chronicle.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/articles/1/31141/

There are some very influential developers involved in that proposal. If they're putting forward plans for the line then it's hard to square that with the idea that the whole project is being secretly sabotaged. The route proposed rejoins the old alignment after Dunshaughlin and continues along through where the Cannistown bridge is supposed to be. So I don't know what's going on but I wouldn't really have expected to see anything like this after reading about the situation with the bridge.

What actually has happened? Has construction continued exactly as if nothing has changed? Have they it tarmaced now?

I just can't figure out what's going on if these guys are backing the project (even if they're looking for a deviation to the east of Dunshaughlin as part of the plan).

My poor innocent friend, my heart goes out to you and I'm not been sarcastic or disrespectful. Personally, Ive been hanging around the Navan railway issue for about 10 years now. Its only since 2003 that I became publically vocal about it, thanks mainly to the internet (which also brings along dipsticks, knowalls and twats in general - not directed at anyone here or in particular) but still manages to provide an outlet for informed opinion.
    The article you refer to is nothing more than baloney, being spouted by developers, who's agenda is based way beyond reality in the short to medium term and perhaps in closed political ranks longer term. (way beyond 2015) The Navan line (realistically) had to follow the original alignment, which is now decimated by the M3. (FACT) This was the short term and ultimate solution. These developers neither care or actually understand what the Navan rail alignment is, could be or what engineering requirements need to be met in terms of cost etc. They see it as part of a T21 list and decide to use it as a means to decorate their proposals to build in certain areas. THEY DON'T CARE! There are many smaller examples of this around the GDA. Think bandwagon.

The Navan rail line is not happening because there was never any political intention within Meath CC or Government. Both organisations strung people along with proposals and intentions that they knew (deep down) they could not meet. A sewer main was laid on the alignment and they said it wouldn't be a problem. (But it displayed a lack of concern to the project) Later it would be revealed that this sewer main would have to be moved. More recently and perhaps more damning the M3 has torn the heart out of the preferred and recommended alignment (according to IE) at two particular points and in defiance to an An Bord Pleanala ruling at one area. And still the state stays quiet. Im a part time journo with a few mickey mouse free sheets. I tried to give the issue some wings at a national level, but got no takers. But I'll keep posting and writing about it as long as it takes. Some day people will realise what a bunch of conmen our Government is. It might take the cancellation or deferral of bigger projects to make them see sense, but they'll realise it eventually. As for a priest/cleric or whatever being spouted as a positive method to get the Navan line going, well thats just ****e talk that works in certain political quarters. Jesus Christ himself couldn't have got the Navan line built as the bottom line is all about politics and the politics of Navan is not the same as the politics of Mayo, Galway and Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭trellheim

Looks like fait accompli then, what's left ?

DWCommuter wrote: »
    My poor innocent friend, my heart goes out to you and I'm not been sarcastic or disrespectful. Personally, Ive been hanging around the Navan railway issue for about 10 years now. Its only since 2003 that I became publically vocal about it, thanks mainly to the internet (which also brings along dipsticks, knowalls and twats in general - not directed at anyone here or in particular) but still manages to provide an outlet for informed opinion.
    The article you refer to is nothing more than baloney, being spouted by developers, who's agenda is based way beyond reality in the short to medium term and perhaps in closed political ranks longer term. (way beyond 2015) The Navan line (realistically) had to follow the original alignment, which is now decimated by the M3. (FACT) This was the short term and ultimate solution. These developers neither care or actually understand what the Navan rail alignment is, could be or what engineering requirements need to be met in terms of cost etc. They see it as part of a T21 list and decide to use it as a means to decorate their proposals to build in certain areas. THEY DON'T CARE! There are many smaller examples of this around the GDA. Think bandwagon.

Ah, it's just that cost or engineering requirements can sometimes appear trivial if the right players want things to happen. I say this as one of those names mentioned owns much of the land around the Blundelstown interchange (and it didn't need to be built, nor the circuitous and more costly route the M3 takes through the Tara-Skryne valley to get there). Another has a 50% stake in the Hansfield SDZ and it has been suggested that one of the principal reasons the Clonsilla-Pace line is being built was to allow that development to go ahead. I believe another ABP ruling was involved there, one that was clearly a bit more 'watertight' than that relating to Cannistown. One can perhaps be forgiven for thinking that the right developer backing could make the impossible possible.

The increasingly bizarre nature of the whole Navan rail line issue makes it very hard to think clearly and figure out what's going on at times. It is quite surreal to see this type of thing being proposed and reported while at the same time an ABP ruling is being completely ignored, the alignment severed and destroyed and not reported on at all by the same paper. I guess I briefly succumbed to the idea that the last bit couldn't possibly be true for the first part to be taken so seriously and reported at all. Surely such a bizarre situation cannot be sustained for much longer and someone in authority will have to tell it straight sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

This deviation to the other side of Dunshaughlin is only kite-flying. Big House & Co has no interest in assisting public transport, this is just a rusze being thrown in to obfuscate, delay and ultimately destroy the Navan-Clonsilla rail route.

All development in Navan and environs is developer-led, and they do not like competition, so we can forget about a train that will complete for business with The Sacred Motorway.....

Advertisement