Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday and Weekend Weather (Significant rainfall)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

damo9090 wrote: »
    Eden Gate. Next to Greystones. Seems to be easing off now.

Ahh, thanks.

I seem to be getting an orographic effect, its utterly lashing down here again.

Rain so far since midnight 54.9mm and rising.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Looking west to Ballybunion, 5pm to 7.30pm. Nice enough. <could get addicted to this>

eta, 1 pic every 10 secs, playback at 15 frames a sec = 150* real speed.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Heavy, Steady Rain in Sandyford area for last hour or so, standing water starting to build up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Ahh, thanks.

I seem to be getting an orographic effect, its utterly lashing down here again.

Rain so far since midnight 54.9mm and rising.

Teeming down here again. 11.6c

Hmm - 54.9mm. How much snow would that be in winter Supercell?! And with North easterlies too!

Raining cats and dogs, daily total up to 58.2mm, its unreal outside.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

arctictree wrote: »
    Teeming down here again. 11.6c

Hmm - 54.9mm. How much snow would that be in winter Supercell?! And with North easterlies too!

Lol, I was thinking the same!, but realistically this setup wouldn't happen in winter and if it did it wouldn't be anywhere near as potent.

59mm here so far..and no end in sight, your doggie will have to swim down that lane next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Total upto 17.5mm (6mm in last hour)
    Very dark out too.

Yes it defo is orographic rain Supercell where you are and in prime location to get that dumping of rain.

yep, it appears to be getting heavier here, which didn't seem possible!

ch750536 wrote: »
    Looking west to Ballybunion, 5pm to 7.30pm. Nice enough. <could get addicted to this>

That is one seriously impressive weathercam.

Snowbie wrote: »
    Yes it defo is orographic rain Supercell where you are and in prime location to get that dumping of rain.

Have a look at the last few hours rain rate on http://www.annamoe.net/raw.htm , its amazing stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

seems to be stopping here. clouds moving from Irish sea and looks a little brighter from that direction. Met radar not really showing the rain to the same extent as we see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    Lol, I was thinking the same!, but realistically this setup wouldn't happen in winter and if it did it wouldn't be anywhere near as potent.

59mm here so far..and no end in sight, your doggie will have to swim down that lane next time!

Yes, no convection, right?

Still raining here. Looking at the radar, we seem to be really unfortunate/fortunate here today in Wicklow!!

A

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Not only in Wicklow - very heavy persistant rain in Dublin aswell. I think this will be a setup repeated over night. The occlusion is not back quick progress north and bands of rain will just keep swirling around it developed on the Irish sea aswell. Could be pretty wet tonight.

Cloud base lowering, can see the base in the fields just above me, usually see that as the rain is clearing (dunno why that happens), but not counting chickens yet.
    Rain today - 59.9 mm.

damo9090 wrote: »
    seems to be stopping here. clouds moving from Irish sea and looks a little brighter from that direction. Met radar not really showing the rain to the same extent as we see it!

Here is a zoom of that rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

I think Met Eireann should ssue a flood warning for the East tonight and tomorrow. GFS is showing constant rain or prolonged showers for the East coast right through to Monday at least.

21.3mm for the day so far and still more rain to come in off the sea.

Thanks snowbie. looks like north Dublin got a wash out. Rain stopped here a good while now. Have a good view of Irish sea and its looking quiet that over that direction at the moment.

Rain stopped, misty and flooded everywhere.

25mm of rainfall now and has eased a tad now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Had some really heavy downpours over the last 2 hours.

Exceptionally poor weather of late, so much rain, makes me believe its going to be a baking August.

Had some really heavy downpours over the last 2 hours.

Exceptionally poor weather of late, so much rain, makes me believe its going to be a baking August.

Don't know about that. Could be a repeat of last year!:(

Very heavy short burst of rain just passed stopped as quick as it started.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Weather BOFH

ch750536 wrote: »

Certainly is addictive, here's my effort from today taken between 1:30pm and 8:30pm. Also at 150x real speed, 1 pic every 5 seconds, 30 fps.

Rain has eased here too with a total of 28mm so far.

7.6mm fell overnight.

would have thought it was more, fields flooded and stream up over it's lower banks here (sandyford). Looks a little higher than this time yesterday. Light grey clouds but not raining at the moment.

copacetic wrote: »
    would have thought it was more, fields flooded and stream up over it's lower banks here (sandyford). Looks a little higher than this time yesterday. Light grey clouds but not raining at the moment.
    Rain distribution doesn't fall uniformly across an area, topography can affect this but the ground is already saturated and water is just pooling, its the same here. I'm not surprised streams or rivers be high. Total rain to this time yesterday is 33mm.

Edit: 7.6mm since midnight that is.

Looking at the darkness of the clouds over Dublin i am thinking it is lashing. No rain to report from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie wrote: »
    Rain distribution doesn't fall uniformly across an area, topography can affect this

Edit: 7.6mm since midnight that is.

Indeed Sandyford could have had 20mm overnight.

It can vary that much.

Supercell had c60mm compared to my c30mm yesterday. Only 12km between us.

• Advertisement

Mothman wrote:
    Indeed Sandyford could have had 20mm overnight.

It can vary that much.

Supercell had c60mm compared to my c30mm yesterday. Only 12km between us.
    I see your point but in all fairness orographic lift in mountainous regions greatly enhances rainfall and Supercell was in a prime location. As there is no gauge in Sandyford(we'll never exactly know rainfall) and this time it is on the windward side of the mountains yesterday/last night, i doubt there be a huge difference in rainfall right through the Dublin county overnight. The exception is the water run off from the mountains as his close proximity to it why streams are bursting there?

Lol myself and Deep Easterly(paddy) where watching this come in off the sea last night till 0230 wondering will it have become electrified.
    That lot seemed to have pushed NW and then W later S.
    See attach.

Have played the radar loop at 5min intervals and rain never seemed too moderate let alone heavy last night.:)

Advertisement