Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

is there any link to that news statment?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Excellent !!!! I would imagine they will give a 200GB cap. I would hope that they really up the upload, 5Mb up would be cool, but I doubt it will happen. I would say 2.5Mb up is more realistic, although 2Mb up is probably be what we get, which results in a pretty poor down/ up ratio :( .

from enn.ie looks like it is going to be 1.5Mb up for 20Mb product:

"UPC said it's also worked on improving upstream speeds. For the 20Mbps product, upstream speeds will be 1.5Mbps. The firm is also offering a 10Mbps product for EUR30 per month and a 3Mbps product for EUR10 per month. "

wow, 3M for E10 per month or could that be a typo and supposed to be E20?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Link in my previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I see they're doing the "from July 1st new customers will get..." I fear that those of us who signed the form for 12Mb maybe stuck there. Knowing how UPC tend to deal with customers I am slightly fearful. Prove me wrong UPC, prove me wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

lfc333 wrote: »
    UPC, the parent company of cable TV operators, Chorus and Ntl, today said its new 20MB broadband offer will propel Ireland's ranking in the OECD broadband speed league from 25th place to 10th.

The company today launched what it claims is the fastest broadband offer on the market and will roll-out the new service to 422,000 broadband enabled homes in areas such as Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Limerick, Cork and all other major cabled towns at a cost of E40 a month per subscriber.
    The new 20Mb broadband service has been introduced by UPC to meet the increasing demand for higher speeds to support on-line applications.

Caseys Cablesurf in Dungarven is allready offering 20meg bb so UPC will not be the fastest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Gotta say the timing of this is kinda unexpected, they have just upgraded people and now they are going for another upgrade.Can only imagine them making serious serious inroads into Eircoms market share in the bigger towns which is definitely a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Getting the 20Mb installed next Thursday (new connection), oh yeah. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

paulm17781 wrote: »
    I see they're doing the "from July 1st new customers will get..." I fear that those of us who signed the form for 12Mb maybe stuck there. Knowing how UPC tend to deal with customers I am slightly fearful. Prove me wrong UPC, prove me wrong...

Nope, just talking to them.

All existing customers being switched over starting on July 1st.
    Not sure if it's all at once, but I doubt it due to the strain on the network.
    Probably rolling out over a few weeks.

All 1mb becoming 3.
    All 6mb becoming 10.
    All 12 mb becoming 20.

Across the board.

And the 10mb and 20 mb will have an unlimited DL cap.
    I'm guessing that there'll be terms and conditions for that.

As in, if you DL 1,000gb in a month the stop you or something.:p

Can't wait.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Any info on the upstream on the 10MBit?

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote: »
    Any info on the upstream on the 10MBit?

Edit:

Just looked into it.

The 3mb will have 256 upload.

The 10mb will have 1mb upload.

The 20mb will have 1 1/2mb upload.

Class!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Edit:

Just looked into it.
    The 3mb will have 256 upload.
    The 10mb will have 1mb upload.
    The 20mb will have 1 1/2mb upload.

Class!!!:D

Excellent! Thanks. 10MBit/1MBit unlimited for 30 euro is the one for me I think :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Gotta say the timing of this is kinda unexpected, they have just upgraded people and now they are going for another upgrade.Can only imagine them making serious serious inroads into Eircoms market share in the bigger towns which is definitely a good thing.

I think they played politics a little. Announce upgrades, implment them and let eircom follow and then announce new upgrades immediately afterwards makes them look like they do more upgrades to faster speeds faster than eircom and makes people more likely to switch to them.

It takes eircom out of the headlines too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Nope, just talking to them.

All existing customers being switched over starting on July 1st.

Wow! I love being wrong about things like this.

What does annoy me, is many (including eventually myself) signed the new contract for a year. I bet people who haven't done this still get upgraded to 20Mb. Even still, if it continues to be as reliable as it has been for the last 3 months, I don't see myself canceling.

paulm17781 wrote: »
    Wow! I love being wrong about things like this.

What does annoy me, is many (including eventually myself) signed the new contract for a year. I bet people who haven't done this still get upgraded to 20Mb. Even still, if it continues to be as reliable as it has been for the last 3 months, I don't see myself canceling.

Don't know about that.
    All I know about is the network itself.

UPC are laying the same cables here as they have all over Europe.

In case ye didn't know, that network were recently tested for 100mb BB:D

I'm sure it's years off, but it's good to know what's in the future for us.:p

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Heading for the 20mb myself :)

Cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

roll on 20 meg :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 highcastle

I think we should stop getting on the beat the UPC badwagon right now, the company has in the space of a month tripled mine and yours connections for absolutely nothing? Us Irish are renowned whingers but even we can say fair play for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Talk about kicking a guy in the goolies immediately after someone else just did the same? Half the country is currently in mourning having been let so badly down by Eircon and their promise for the past few months of moving us from 3 > 7.6Mb.
    How do you think we feel hearing that you guys will be on 20Mb next week?

I can only imagine, why not change? I think someone here said that they had just signed on as a new customer to them and got the 20mb pack from the get go? Even if its not true you could always sign on for the 12mb i suppose and get upgraded then? I have the 12 and its fast as f**k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

highcastle wrote: »
    I can only imagine, why not change? I think someone here said that they had just signed on as a new customer to them and got the 20mb pack from the get go? Even if its not true you could always sign on for the 12mb i suppose and get upgraded then? I have the 12 and its fast as f**k
    NTL is not everywhere... He probably can't get it...

Of coarse their not but if the option is there its worth a look thats all I'm saying

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Oh I'm pretty sure he'd be with NTL if he had the option!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I know I would be

UPC are rolling it out well though.

Down here in Limerick Chorus used to only have 30% of the city cabled.

In the couple of years that UPC took over though, they've gotten that up to about 80%!
    And that includes switching all the old network for the new one.

My guess is that after all the cities are done, the big towns will be next.
    Already some like Clonmel have it.

Then the medium towns.

Doubt that they'll get around to the smaller towns for a long time though.
    Then again, Eircom haven't in all the years they've been around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

have they mentioned anywhere when these "other towns" are going to get broadband?

They finally upgraded Athlone to digital tv before christmas so hoping they add broadband aswell, but the UPC customer service havent a clue and just checked to service checker thing on their website (which I had done already) to see if we could get broadband.

The fact they done this a few months ago:

"Cable operator UPC Ireland has paid a seven-figure sum to access Metropolitan Area Networks (MANs) in Sligo, Portlaoise, Athlone and Carlow."

Should gave the people in these area's hope, but havent heard anything to confirm that we will be getting broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Curse ye lucky feckers! :p

I hate depending on Eircom for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

okay quick question....i entered my phone number into the NTL website and it told me broadband was available to me but when i rang their customer service the person told me i wasnt. I would normally go with the customer support person...but she seemed annoyed and disinterested and kept asking me to repeat my address so i dunno...was she wrong? should i ring again? Is there anyone else near or around Clonee who has ntl broadband that has it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Kirby, I'd trust the customer service rep on that. The checker on their website is only a rough estimate, it'll tell you if their service is available in a general locality but not whether it's available at your specific address.

It tells me that I can get broadband but in reality my building is one of the few in the area that can't get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

okay fair enough....its just that my town was on the drop down list......and that when i told her my address, she seemed annoyed my address didnt have a house number and im pretty sure she mispelled it and that might be why it got no results.

Dunno.....i think im gonna ring back monday just to be sure. the uncertainty would forever haunt me on eircom's e-snail line. It also could have something to do with the fact that i WAS that person on the other end of the customer support line for 2 years and i know how little we are told. :)

Advertisement