Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More NTL/UPC Speed Upgrades UPTO 20MB..MegaThread

Options
  • 26-06-2008 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

More good news on the NTL front. A friend of mine that works for them has told me that they are planning more speed increases on July 1st. No price increase. Speed changes are

1MB to 3MB, 6MB to 10MB, 12Mb to 20MB. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I'd doubt that very much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

I'd heard they would be offering a 20Mb product soon but I would almost expect it to be a new one. 12Mb stays at 40 and 20Mb costs 60 or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,538 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

AntiVirus wrote: »

Fair enough, doubt away. I believe the guy. And I guess we'll see with the official announcement on July 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

KevIRL wrote: »
    A friend of mine that works for them has told me that they are planning more speed increases on July 1st.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Fair enough, doubt away. I believe the guy. And I guess we'll see with the official announcement on July 1st

Ah, there planning to "announce" speed increases. Thats different to your original post.

I have no douubts that NTL will announce more (and more) increases, its when these increase will take place that interests me. They haven't even finished the lastest speed increases.
    :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

you lucky ntl people:) wish I cud get it, meanwhile the rest of us will propably be still waiting for eircom to upgrade us to 7.6meg by August 2009:D

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    you lucky ntl people:) wish I cud get it, meanwhile the rest of us will propably be still waiting for eircom to upgrade us to 7.6meg by August 2009:D

I'd say UPC are banking on that. While their service is still limited in coverage, they are upgrading a lot of areas. I'd say their high speeds is their plan to get people away from Eircom and hopefully develop into triple play customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

I'd sign up with them in the morning if they increased the cap from 120gb a month. That wouldn't last long with 20mb download speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭stoneroses

UPC: New broadband lifts Irish ranking
    Thursday, June 26 14:50:56

(BizWorld)

UPC, the parent company of cable TV operators, Chorus and Ntl, today said its new 20MB broadband offer will propel Ireland's ranking in the OECD broadband speed league from 25th place to 10th.

The company today launched what it claims is the fastest broadband offer on the market and will roll-out the new service to 422,000 broadband enabled homes in areas such as Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Limerick, Cork and all other major cabled towns at a cost of E40 a month per subscriber.
    The new 20Mb broadband service has been introduced by UPC to meet the increasing demand for higher speeds to support on-line applications such as video streaming and the sharing of multimedia files such as photos, films and games, it said.

"UPC is committed to using our next generation cable infrastructure to offer a compelling alternative to DSL providers and deliver speeds comparable to the best in Europe and we are delighted to say that this is now a reality in Ireland. In addition, the continuation of our network upgrade means that we will be able to expand the availability of these amazing speeds to well over half a million Irish homes by the end of the year," according to Mark Coan, marketing and sales director.

Wow, 20MB soon. I'm actually sort of shocked. ;)

Now to sort out their TV line up.

Edit: Though you can get 20Mb in waterford (Dungarvan).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

impressive, shame I can't get it anymore :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

I had to bite my tongue when I read that this morning ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

Very good.

Are there any NTL employees on here? I've been trying to find out when it'll be available in my apartment building (yes, just this one building, seems to be the only one in the area that's not enabled!) but sales won't tell me anything.

I'm in D2, like... bit of a joke.

I wonder when they'll update the website. I'm looking forward to seeing when we'll get these, will they increase the cap etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Phlann wrote: »
    Very good.

Are there any NTL employees on here? I've been trying to find out when it'll be available in my apartment building (yes, just this one building, seems to be the only one in the area that's not enabled!) but sales won't tell me anything.

I'm in D2, like... bit of a joke.

im in d3 and i also cant get it! ive rang a few times and been promised callbacks and such but never got any,id much rather give ntl 75 euro a month for 20meg than give it eircom for 3 meg like im doing now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Excellent !!!! I would imagine they will give a 200GB cap. I would hope that they really up the upload, 5Mb up would be cool, but I doubt it will happen. I would say 2.5Mb up is more realistic, although 2Mb up is probably be what we get, which results in a pretty poor down/ up ratio :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hi guys, quick question: I'm just after upgrading from 3Mb to 6Mb. Did my download limit increase from the pathetic 20GB limit?

[/Thread Hack]

Back on topic: would love to get 20Mb broadband! I've only ever had 6Mb (with both Magnet and NTL). I'll have a huge e-Cock and I'll talk to everybody about it! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If only more companies in Ireland where like this... UPC/NTL announced their plans to upgrade customers a month after Eircom broke news back in February that they were to upgrade all their customers by June, within days of the news NTL customers were enjoying speeds of 6meg and 12meg... now a few months on and NTL announce yet another significant upgrade to 20meg while most of us poor Eircom customers are still waiting for this precious upgrade which may not happen for a few more months and even if it does happen most customers will not see the full speeds of 7.6meg....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Speeds are definately going up. My friend went to sign up with them and AFAIk all new customers will be initially put on the new speeds, and everyone else will be upgraded at a later date?

Hi guys, quick question: I'm just after upgrading from 3Mb to 6Mb. Did my download limit increase from the pathetic 20GB limit?

[/Thread Hack]

Back on topic: would love to get 20Mb broadband! I've only ever had 6Mb (with both Magnet and NTL). I'll have a huge e-Cock and I'll talk to everybody about it! :p

Yeah your cap is now 60 GB

Thanks Christophicus! And FYI: pings are still spot on after the upgrade! ;)

Delighted so I am! :D

• Advertisement

Nice !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah your cap is now 60 GB

I was on 3mb as well. I didn't know my cap was only 20gb...NTL just called me up the other day to tell me that I went over my cap by 120gb's...oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

Jaysus! Pretty impressive. Now if they could just add Hi-Definition to their TV line up, I could tell BT and Sky what to do with their service. Chucky our law!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lfc333

UPC, the parent company of cable TV operators, Chorus and Ntl, today said its new 20MB broadband offer will propel Ireland's ranking in the OECD broadband speed league from 25th place to 10th.

The company today launched what it claims is the fastest broadband offer on the market and will roll-out the new service to 422,000 broadband enabled homes in areas such as Dublin, Galway, Waterford, Limerick, Cork and all other major cabled towns at a cost of E40 a month per subscriber.
    The new 20Mb broadband service has been introduced by UPC to meet the increasing demand for higher speeds to support on-line applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

They had me at 12mb - but €40/month for 20mb.... nice!

Even my parents bottom of the range NTL broadband will be as fast as my top of the pile BT package (3mb).

I'm soooo tempted to say bye bye BT (i.e. Eircom!) and your delayed, and delayed again upgrades.

Nice !
    When do you sleep Christophicus?? :eek:

You must be a student! :p

creggy wrote: »
    I was on 3mb as well. I didn't know my cap was only 20gb...NTL just called me up the other day to tell me that I went over my cap by 120gb's...oops.
    LOL Creggy!

In fairness, 20GB download cap is a bit of a joke... They're five of us sharing that connection in my house! We were getting letters informing us we were over the limit on the 4th or 5th of the month! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

creggy wrote: »

Nice, are they going to increase your cap now?? :D

Getting BB off them on Saturday they said i will get upgraded to 20MB in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I've spoken with NTL and they say that the 20Mb package will have unlimted downloads. I'm sure terms and conditions will apply...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Excellent !!!! I would imagine they will give a 200GB cap. I would hope that they really up the upload, 5Mb up would be cool, but I doubt it will happen. I would say 2.5Mb up is more realistic, although 2Mb up is probably be what we get, which results in a pretty poor down/ up ratio :( .

No cap on new 10MB and 20MB products. 1.5MB upload on 20MB deal.

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/10912/comms/upc-announces-20mbps-broadband-for-40-a-month

Advertisement