Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tenzing75

Star Wars Darth Bane Drew Karpyshyn

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Black Prism by Brent Weeks.

I gave up on the Night Angel trilogy but I also picked this up for 3 euro from Chapters so I'll give it a chance. So far an interesting Magic system but still the writing is marred by Weeks' seemingly immature nature. I think I'll be able to finish it as so far the dialogue hasn't been lifted straight out of an angsty 90's teen movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Just finished " A Prayer for Owen Meany " a splendid read

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Elantris' by Brandon Sanderson. 10% in - Very readable again but you can tell the writing's a bit rougher than Mistborn or his WoT work. Still I'm enjoying it and once again he's showing how adept he is at just making an entertaining piece of fantasy.

ixoy wrote: »
    'Elantris' by Brandon Sanderson. 10% in - Very readable again but you can tell the writing's a bit rougher than Mistborn or his WoT work. Still I'm enjoying it and once again he's showing how adept he is at just making an entertaining piece of fantasy.

I keep meaning to read Way of Kings but I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

I keep meaning to read Way of Kings but I just can't bring myself to do it for some reason. :confused:

Probably because there's another 9 to go(supposedly) and it looks like it'll be 1 every 2 years. I was in the same boat but eventually gave in. great read.

Listening to a wise mans fear at the moment, slow going plot wise but great, i can't put it down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just started "Wool 1" - interesting premise so far. Doubt it'll take too long to read this one. I've bought the omnibus edition so four more after that if I like it.

Ta for putting me onto this. Just finished the 5th volume. Excellent stuff I thought. He has a 6th out (not on kindle yet from what I can see) which is a prequel or how it all started which sounds great too. Non sci-fi now for a short break (Le Carre's Honourable Schoolboy).

mewso wrote: »
    He has a 6th out (not on kindle yet from what I can see) which is a prequel or how it all started which sounds great too.
    It was out but seems they've withdrawn it from sale to Europe due to ****ing geo-restrictions. I remember seeing it before in the e-Book format.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I put it off for years because of the Mark Chapman connection, but I'm reading Catcher in the Rye right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I put it off for years because of the Mark Chapman connection, but I'm reading Catcher in the Rye right now.
    Hope you don't hate it as much as I did. :pac:

Just finished Stephen King's 11/22/63. Loved it. A huge fan of his old stuff, and got back into him with The Dome - but I really enjoyed this.

Am about 5 pages into Hyperion (the first book) having contemplated reading it for a long time.

I don't have much reading time so big books take me a while... they need to be worth it. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just finished "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt. I enjoyed it, it read like a western noir.

I've also been reading the "wool" series but i've been finding that ive been going very slowly through it, so i am starting China Miéville's "Railsea" to read along side it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished 'Whispers Underground' by Ben Aaronvitch. Really enjoyable read and I thought it was a much better book after the second installement which I felt underwhelmed by. It's not as funny as the Dresden stuff and it's also more low key in terms of magic but it has a charm that those books lack. It's also doesn't suffer from the issues that the Dresden series has where it's difficult to find a challenge for the main character. I like that we are learning along with Peter Grant about the magical side and it has some interesting characters in Grant, Lesley and Molly. Looking forward to the next one.

Currently getting back into Alloy of Law by Brandon Samderson, really wish he wouldnt try to be funny, it always seems forced or not natural.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Reading the Enders Saga at the moment, by Alan Dean Foster, some similarities between the second one and Case of Conscience by James Blish.
    Finished Angels of Vengence by John Birmingham the other day, very enjoyable ending to an uneven series. Apparently it'll be followed up by short stories set in the Without Warning universe so that'll be interesting, could be better than the main series, the short story format accepting no fat!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

just finished my book katie piper beautiful

im now going to start reading 911 wars by penguin bought in hughes & hughes..

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Reading the Enders Saga at the moment, by Alan Dean Foster, some similarities between the second one and Case of Conscience by James Blish.
    Finished Angels of Vengence by John Birmingham the other day, very enjoyable ending to an uneven series. Apparently it'll be followed up by short stories set in the Without Warning universe so that'll be interesting, could be better than the main series, the short story format accepting no fat!

Hey! I think your in the wrong forum there Cidey and using the wrong entertainment medium.

Finished The Black Prism. Massive improvement from Weeks over the lacklustre Night Angel series. He still has work to do but if he can keep improving like this, I'll look forward to future works from him!

At a loss as to what to read next, browsing through the Kindle store and nothing is really catching my eye. Any recommendations from folks on here?

Finished The Black Prism. Massive improvement from Weeks over the lacklustre Night Angel series. He still has work to do but if he can keep improving like this, I'll look forward to future works from him!

At a loss as to what to read next, browsing through the Kindle store and nothing is really catching my eye. Any recommendations from folks on here?

Ben Aaronovitch stuff orThe Winds of Khalakovo (The Lays of Anuskaya) by Bradley P. Beaulieu

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    The Winds of Khalakovo (The Lays of Anuskaya) by Bradley P. Beaulieu
    Haven't read this but if you are going to buy it, don't buy it off of Amazon. Instead you can get it here, from Baen Books, for $6 instead of $9.

As to choices, there's so many! How about Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn? Joe Abercrombie's work? China Miéville (enjoyed his latest book, "Railsea"). And so many more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Tim Powers. I'm always recommending him. Either The Anubis Gates or On Stranger Tides would be great to go with.

Haven't read this but if you are going to buy it, don't buy it off of Amazon. Instead you can get it here, from Baen Books, for $6 instead of $9.

As to choices, there's so many! How about Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn? Joe Abercrombie's work? China Miéville (enjoyed his latest book, "Railsea"). And so many more...

Read all of those! As well as the staples, WoT, Malazan, GoT et al.

OwaynOTT will check them out.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT will check them out.

Thought you might of had read the big ones. I'd read the Beaulieu one first, thought it was very good despite a messy end. Also Throne of the Crescent Moon is a breeze if a read

Tried Daniel Abraham? Enjoyed his Long Price Quartet recently. Also like some of K.J. Parker's work - great characters, with some really good droll humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Am reading Shada now. It was originally a tv script for a doctor who episode that has been turned into a novel by Gareth Roberts.

Am about half way through and it's particularly good. It helps that it's about the 4th doctor(Tom Baker) since he'll always be 'the' doctor as far as I'm concerned, and Ramana is one of the best companions too being pretty much the equal of the doctor. But then she is of course a time-lord herself so that's only to be expected I suppose.

Anyway, if you only ever read one doctor who novel, you could do a lot worse than this one.

Edit- I should also mention that the original tv script was written by Douglas Adams of Hitchhikers fame.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

gufnork wrote: »
    Edit- I should also mention that the original tv script was written by Douglas Adams of Hitchhikers fame.
    Wonder why it was never filmed?
    I'm usually not a big fan of these kind of novels from beyond the grave, but you never know!

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Wonder why it was never filmed?
    I'm usually not a big fan of these kind of novels from beyond the grave, but you never know!
    It was. Sort of. It only got half made due to a strike at the BBC but there is footage out there and then attempts to put it in audio / animated form.

Tried Daniel Abraham? Enjoyed his Long Price Quartet recently. Also like some of K.J. Parker's work - great characters, with some really good droll humour.

I went with Daniel Abraham as one of his books caught my eye as I trawled the store. 'Dragon's Path' so it's not part of the Long Price Quartet, it's a different series. Still at the character establishment phase but it seems okay so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

After seeing it on my recommend list on amazon for god knows how long, i started on the painted man.

I went with Daniel Abraham as one of his books caught my eye as I trawled the store. 'Dragon's Path' so it's not part of the Long Price Quartet, it's a different series. Still at the character establishment phase but it seems okay so far.

That's a good choice but I'm very disappointed in you all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I started the Long Price Quartet about a week ago and enjoying it so far. Some interesting ideas and like his writing style.

I picked up the Lies of Locke Lamora prior to this but i put it back down again after a few chapters. The writing style and story reminded me of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell which I didnt like at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Playboy wrote: »
    I started the Long Price Quartet about a week ago and enjoying it so far. Some interesting ideas and like his writing style.

I picked up the Lies of Locke Lamora prior to this but i put it back down again after a few chapters. The writing style and story reminded me of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell which I didnt like at all.

Pick it back up, it gets better. Wasn't a big fan of the start either, but loved it by the end!

Advertisement