Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

mcgovern wrote: »
    Now reading The Hedge Knight, by George R. R. Martin.

That series is well worth the read if you like Martins stuff. Its obviously no where near the same in scope and detail but the stories aren't bad and its cool to see some of the random references from this to the ASOIF story.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Some important enough background info for the later books in ASOIAF too!
    Bloodraven

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I thought it was pretty good, would have liked some more :)

Started House of Chains, only a few pages in but can already tell that a) I'm going to like it, and b) I'm going to be confused as hell again on who, what and where everyone is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's 3 novellas in the Dunc and Egg series so far and a fourth with the working title "The She-Wolves of Winterfell" should appear in the female warriors anthology due later this year.

GRRM has said the Dunc and Egg tales could stretch to 9 installments. Hopefully they'll start releasing them in their own right as at present they're only (legally) available in short-story anthologies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. Very entertaining, although I'd personally have preferred '90s references which would have resonated more with me than '80s. The set up of the virtual world is a little bit hard to swallow but I'm enjoying its spirit enough not to let it bother me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

The Drawing of the Three by Stephen King.

The second in the series, good so far(about 20% done), really enjoying these books. I'm liking the mish-mash of genres here especially since I never read outside of fantasy and sci-fi usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

I'm reading A Storm of Swords at the moment, nearly finished part 1.

I'm sure most people here have read it already but I couldn't say enough about how good it is, would recommend A Song of Ice and Fire to anyone who has any interest in reading as I think that each character is so different from the next everyone is bound to have a favourite. My personal favourites would definitely be Tyrion, Jon, and Daenerys

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished The Magicians by Lev Grossman. It was good but there seemed to be something stopping me enjoying it fully. Not sure what it was but I think some of the pacing seemed weird to me. Still a decent read so I'll probably try the sequel some time.

In keeping with my new target of alternating sci-fi & fantasy I've started Hyperion by Dan Simmons. I've heard good things so looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I'm reading A Storm of Swords at the moment, nearly finished part 1.

Your in for one hell of a ride:P Don't search online about it:D

Actually, conveniantly, I've just finished my re-read of A Storm Of Swords (part 1 and 2). I was about to make an expletive filled reference, but better notXD

I read a little earlier that someone was reading the Dunken and Egg short stories. You should definetly read them, I kind of love Ser Duncan and some verrrry interesting depth for later on.
    How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand, and one...best use of a comma everXD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Yesterday, for the first time in a while I read a book that was so good that I finished it one sitting, that book was Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. Its brilliant, if your looking for something good to read, read this. (just seen Ioxy finished it as well)

Now reading Orbus by Neal Asher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

After getting hooked on the games and hearing from polish dudes, i've started reading Andrzej Sapkowski's Witcher books. Unfortunately only 2 out of the 7 have been translated to english. Only abaout 30% into the first, it's good not great but then i foound out it was a collection of short stories. The saga really starts in book 2, if they're a 10th as good as the game stories they should be pretty good books.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Nancy Kress, Steal Across the Sky. Am very impressed with it.

(Hate fantasy, love some SF)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

About to start Dune. Been meaning to read it for forever. Saw the movie but have heard that the book is much better. Looking forward to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There's a mini series that was much truer to the books, check it out.

Reading Justin Cronin's "The Passage", the first tome in his projected vampire apocalypse trilogy. 12% in and it's early yet (mostly character build up and setting the groundwork) but it has promise.

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading Justin Cronin's "The Passage", the first tome in his projected vampire apocalypse trilogy. 12% in and it's early yet (mostly character build up and setting the groundwork) but it has promise.

I found the middle section pretty boring but stick with it, the end picks up again.
    Book two is due out later this year, so at least it should be a series that you won't have to decades to complete :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

I found the middle section pretty boring but stick with it, the end picks up again.
    Book two is due out later this year, so at least it should be a series that you won't have to decades to complete :)

I found it a real slog in the middle too .. not sure if I'll be going back for part 2. Interesting premise though and well written

Yea, the passage starts off really well, and ends really well, there is just a lot of boredom in the middle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Finished off Alastair Reynolds "Terminal World" and William Gibsons "Virtual Light" starting into "City in the City" by China Mieville (not sure how I never read any of his stuff before, must have completely unseen it somehow).

Terminal World is quite different from the usual stuff, but a good plot and quite enjoyable read. I normally enjoy Gibson's stuff , Bigend stuff in particular, but Virtual Light didn't have the same feel to it and isn't making me overly keen to read the rest of the trilogy.

growler wrote: »
    starting into "City in the City" by China Mieville (not sure how I never read any of his stuff before, must have completely unseen it somehow).
    :D Very good sir, very good!

Just pre-ordered "Railsea", his next book. Delivered to the Kindle on May 24th.

• Advertisement

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy .. 3rd book was better than the second but not sure I liked how it ended. Going to give The Alloy of Law a miss for a while and jump into the Way of Kings .. Only read the prologue but really intrigued already!

growler wrote: »
    tarting into "City in the City" by China Mieville (not sure how I never read any of his stuff before, must have completely unseen it somehow).

If you enjoy "The City and The City", jump straight into "Perdido Street Station" it is unbelievable. One of the best books ive ever read.

Just finished "Orbus" by Neil Asher, it was a great as i've come to expect from him. Exams coming up so time to put the kindle away for a while.

After the Exams itll be "Railsea"

Alongside "The Passage" I'm reading Charles Stross's "The Revolution Business", the fifth book in the Merchant Princes sextet. 7% in and it's comfortably moving along, after a few pages of recap.

ixoy wrote: »
    Alongside "The Passage" I'm reading Charles Stross's "The Revolution Business", the fifth book in the Merchant Princes sextet. 7% in and it's comfortably moving along, after a few pages of recap.

Was wondering whether to start this series next? Recommend it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I have The Stress of Her Regard by Powers ordered for the last month and no sign of it. Supplier problems so I'm playing the waiting game. Decided to order Chasm City as I've liked the other Reynolds I've read, being Terminal World and Revelation Space. I think Chasm is next chronologically from Revelation.
    In the meantime I've picked up one of my randoms that I never bothered getting stuck into which happens to be The Shining by King. I don't think I'll enjoy much of Kings stuff more than Samems Lot but it's going alright. I'm not feeling it too much and I think it's the films fault there. Every page I look at I'm getting Jack Nicholsons face flashed in my head. Hats off to Kubrick I suppose.

Playboy wrote: »
    Was wondering whether to start this series next? Recommend it?
    I'm enjoying it yes. The premise is interesting. Stross takes a very pragmatic approach to jumping between parallel universes and how it might work and what you could do with it, e.g. buy drugs in our Mexico, hop to another world and cross over where the border would be, hop back and thus bypass customs and immigration etc.

I do think the series could have been in 3 longer books rather than 3 shorter and it gets a little bogged down at times but it's the best treatment of parallel worlds that I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Loving the percentages above, spot the Kindle readers:D

Anyways I got about 200 pages into REAMDE by Neal Stephenson then lost interest, realised I did't care about any of the characters.

Swithced to SM Stirling's Meeting at Corvalis...

Started House of Chains, only a few pages in but can already tell that a) I'm going to like it, and b) I'm going to be confused as hell again on who, what and where everyone is.

Finished it yesterday, really enjoyed it but they are not easy reading!
    Need a break from fantasy so trying The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross. Not far in yet so haven't made up my mind, but it has good potential.

Also reading concurrently (alongside "The Passage" and "The Revolution Business") "Vivisepulture" which is a collection of horror stories. It's okay - I only really got it for the Neal Asher short and it cost just over €1. Pretty mindless.

To give me some factual reading, I'm also dipping in and out of "The Code Book: The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography" by Simon Singh. Always enjoyed codes and ciphers and Singh (so far) is doing a very good job of entertaingly presenting its history.

• Advertisement

So the not reading during my exams went out the window, read and finished "Shadow of the Scorpion" by Neil Asher, really enjoyed it (though not as much as other Polity books), ive just started "Alantris" by Brandon Sanderson, not sure yet but i know i'll enjoy it. You can definitely see how much his writing has improved through his later books.

Advertisement