Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

construction studies!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 steffi-nof

Hey!!!:D i could reli do wit some tips 4 Q1???
    Any ideas???....besides fireplace????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭i-cheat

wat percentage of the overall grade is the written exam worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

i-cheat wrote: »
    wat percentage of the overall grade is the written exam worth?

50%,
    practical is 25 and project is 25 for honours, not sure about ordinary though.
    Think Theory is only worth 200 marks in ordinary

ah feck i was hoping that the written would only be like 25%!!! construction studies is a joke of a subject nearly all the teachers are ****e that teach it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Nikkio237

john-btid wrote: »
    this is more rare than a nice principal.

can i have your autograph lol
    Diarmsquid wrote: »
    Try doing the past papers. The questions have a habit of repeating themselves.

Yeah, it was for the last number of years anyway. I'm not sure if it's 100% garunteed, but you'd be mad not to learn it. And...

...OMG! A GIRL DOING CONSTRUCTION?:eek:

Lol, there's five girls in my class doing construction, out of around 25 or so. Not as rare as you might think!!:D

So does anyone on this thread have a teacher that's actually taught the course? Mine, like others mentioned, is useless. One 40 minute class a week is not enough!! I've learned most of the course myself! Any other tips besides those mentioned?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 moosejoose

We have an unbeleivable construction teacher best teacher in the school and there is over 100 teachers in our school. BTW we have 3 girls doing construction in our class. I hope to f*&k that bloody chimney question doesnt come up the worst question on the whole leaving fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭pink-mist

Right...my teacher wasnt too bad at all, he was a bit of an ass but he did the course.

He wrote -one- of the mock papers, not the one that my school got, but he gave it to us for revision before school ended and said it was based on what he thought was to come up.

~ Planning Permission
    ~ U-values (total banker,unfortunatly im dreadful at maths)
    ~ Stairs - bottom 3 steps detail
    safety precautions and design features.
    ~ Sound & Soundproofing rooms
    ~ Removal of waste, septic tanks etc.

Also for the drawing question FIREPLACE is one that may come up. DOOR had been asked quite regularly so that is also likely....
    And perhaps, window cill and head, maybe incorporated with sus.timber floor or something. thats higher level btw.

also...im one of two girls in the class for whoever said it was rare hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 yipenyapen

I'm a girl too..
    One of 5 in my class about about 15..

Not that rare. :)
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 30 john-btid

no teacher buts in an effort because the corse is so wide and there is so little time to do it in,they really depend on the practical etc for students to do well tbh.

but anyay can someone tell me the forumula for the luxs/light question i cant remeber it

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frankysaysrelax

pink-mist wrote: »
    Right...my teacher wasnt too bad at all, he was a bit of an ass but he did the course.

He wrote -one- of the mock papers, not the one that my school got, but he gave it to us for revision before school ended and said it was based on what he thought was to come up.

~ Planning Permission

Also for the drawing question FIREPLACE is one that may come up. DOOR had been asked quite regularly so that is also likely....
    And perhaps, window cill and head, maybe incorporated with sus.timber floor or something. thats higher level btw.

i had that pre..the q1 was fab....
    my teacher was a bitch with the marking nobody got over a c...
    oh god i hope they ask loads about designing a room 4 people with wheelchairs thats a nice 1....
    or conservation thats farley easy 2...
    if septic tank comes up ill be sick....i hate it loads
    i dont think the window and door will come up they came up 2007 and 2006....:mad:wouldnt have minded the door..

• Advertisement

Hahaha i think my class wins!!!....im 1 of 11 girls out of 11!!:D....n last yr der wer 27 girls!!!:P

roll on septic tank!!!....love it!!!...n stairs!!!:D

Yeah septic tanks not so much...
    Its just so boring that i cant get it into my head!

Well my bets are its either going to be door or fireplace...
    Ugh its tomorrow, im so not ready!
    Does anybody have all the measurments in mm for the stairs?
    The download (above) has bad labels...

:)

ALSO - Anybody know how to make a room soundproof apart from adding insulation in the floor/walls/celing?

Ya its is bu i no it 4 sum reason!!!....did it as research in pro!!!

nothing 4 u download!!! sorry!!!
    550<2R+G<700......max rise=220 n min going=220!!!
    most important thing!!!
    im so screwed...a week off was the worse thing evr...taut i was fin r summit!!! whoops!!!

thanks, thats even a help.
    Never did that drawing in class so im working from the book and some of the measurments are in meters... im awful at maths so im a bit lost!!

Ouch, you didnt have spanish no? I had that today but some have been off for a week or so, must be awful!! I'm not drinking or going out until its all over, its torture! But 2mro at 5 im done :D

Double up 12.7mm plasterboard
    Sand plugging in groundfloor roof/1st floor
    staggering battons etc
    use quilt insulation instead of rigid!!!:D......i think/hope!!!:(

Just multiply by 1000!!!
    nope been off 4 1full wk!!!...taut it was great!!....worst thing evr!!! slept in evry mornin n did no study!!:(

ya im d same n all my 4nds finished n goin out n stuff!!!...its horrible!!...headin straight out after exam 2mro!!!...if im not deeply depressed!!!lol!!

Awesome thanks for insulation stuff ;)

Ouch, i did only a tiny bit of study at the end of 5th yr and a bit for the mocks so i stayed in all week before the exams and studied my ass off, and every day i had spare (well most...there were a few cinema trips hehe).I feel like such a loser :P i'll make up for it in parties this week though!

oh btw, think soil investigation might come up to let ya know.

Ya me 2!!!:D:D

Dats brill!!!:D tranx a million!!!...gotta do sum study i suppose!!:(
    besta luck 2mro!!!:D:D

no worries ;)

thanks to you aswell for the tips!
    Good luck!! I hope we all do great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

...Can u credit it..:eek:...ha ha im a girl i do it... why not like!:cool:i did a model bridge for my project oh god never again!not gona like looked rather impressive was a lift bridge got it to lift up and down and all...it was really more of an enginnering project ha..
    im thinking the fireplace/chimney has a good chance of coming up in Q.1..just a feeling really...u can never tell...
    and yup U values nearly always a banker..cant say i like them i love the question 10s...that just me...no
    Nikkio237 wrote: »
    Lol, there's five girls in my class doing construction, out of around 25 or so. Not as rare as you might think!!:D

So does anyone on this thread have a teacher that's actually taught the course? Mine, like others mentioned, is useless. One 40 minute class a week is not enough!! I've learned most of the course myself! Any other tips besides those mentioned?
    moosejoose wrote: »
    We have an unbeleivable construction teacher best teacher in the school and there is over 100 teachers in our school. BTW we have 3 girls doing construction in our class. I hope to f*&k that bloody chimney question doesnt come up the worst question on the whole leaving fact.
    pink-mist wrote: »

~ Planning Permission

yipenyapen wrote: »
    I'm a girl too..
    One of 5 in my class about about 15..

Not that rare. :)

xx
    steffi-nof wrote: »
    Hahaha i think my class wins!!!....im 1 of 11 girls out of 11!!:D....n last yr der wer 27 girls!!!:P

roll on septic tank!!!....love it!!!...n stairs!!!:D

Wow. I didn't realise there were so many.

Take it back so...

• Advertisement

can anyone show me how to do this question

calculate the rise and going for each step, given that the total rise for a stairs is 2.6m high...thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 nivag

was told to keep an eye out for a light question, calculating lux, sunspace and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

Ehh.. little help, can anyone tell me how I calculate the U-value yea I know it's 1:30 am lol. Anyone that could help me out would be amazing, got no books and can't get it from the marking scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

http://Diarmsquid.fileave.com/ConstructionDrawings.zip

Is that the file you were looking for?
    I remembering downloading that a while ago. Just uploaded it to that website there a sec ago.

Thanks diarmsquid, im gonna be up early 2moro practicing them! oh god i spent all of 5th year swotting in construction, had my notes ruined and never bothered replacing them. i spent 6th year asleep because my project was done in a month lol oh well im royally F*cked....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Well based on what I've found here I will be learning in the next 3 hours. Bit late to start revising now, but sure better late than never.

I still haven't a clue of U Values..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 islay

Hey all,

A bit off topic I did my leaving a good few years ago ad repeated with Construction Studies. I did the whole course in 6th year never doing construction before or anything similar. The course may have changed slightly since then but here's how I did !

My project was a very simple bedside locker!
    The practical part of the exam was a disaster I handed in bits of non joined wood in the practical exam.
    The exam not a notion! Still came out with a C1 at honours so just breath and good luck to you all.

Last bit of advice stairs and hot water systems always seem to appear...

And if you have a worknook filled in just read over that for next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭jimmystars

http://Diarmsquid.fileave.com/ConstructionDrawings.zip

Is that the file you were looking for?
    I remembering downloading that a while ago. Just uploaded it to that website there a sec ago.

Just wondering if you could put this up again. It wouldnt work for me.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Sorry for the BUMP ! :p

Im just wondering what projects people here done/are doing for construction?

My teacher told us to start thinking about it now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ianmull

ciano1 wrote: »
    Sorry for the BUMP ! :p

Im just wondering what projects people here done/are doing for construction?

My teacher told us to start thinking about it now!

I did a model staircase of the bottom three steps, complete with newell post and a bullnose step way back in 2007.
    It was easy enough to build (just lots of careful chiseling for the bed joints for the steps!) and I reckon the bullnose step got me the majority of my marks as that was the only really difficult bit to do (as I had to steam the wood to get it to bend!). It was interesting to do anyway and I was quite happy with the end result.
    Heres a pic of it to give you a better idea: http://img199.yfrog.com/img199/4981/imag2334.jpg
    jimmystars wrote: »
    Just wondering if you could put this up again. It wouldnt work for me.
    cheers

I think these could be them, I have a copy I downloaded ages ago still handy:
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/mjy12wdymgz/Construction%20Drawings.zip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Geard

thanks ianmull!!!!!;)
    If ye have anything else like that throw me a link plz!!

Advertisement