Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

construction studies!

Options
  • 09-06-2008 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

any one any good advice for construction??
    out of a book with 25 chapters my teacher covered 4 or somethin so im just lost =[
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Such a vast course ! My teacher reckons plumbing is dead set to come up to do with hot and cold, indirect sytems, all that. Planning Permission seeing as it seems to come up every year and just foundations for houses and all that really. I know its not much but its a start seeing as we get no prediction help or anything !:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭lol5605

lucky you, all I've done since 1st year was a week of exams papers before the mocks, I've been teaching my self with the exam papers and solutions lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 coolcailin

anyone no if the u-value come up every year?i heard it does but not sure :confused:
    if so ill learn that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 InVikingWeTrust

coolcailin wrote: »
    anyone no if the u-value come up every year?i heard it does but not sure :confused:
    if so ill learn that

its a Banker!!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Also....read up on the staircase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

any one any good advice for construction??
    out of a book with 25 chapters my teacher covered 4 or somethin so im just lost =[
    Try doing the past papers. The questions have a habit of repeating themselves.
    if so ill learn that
    Yeah, it was for the last number of years anyway. I'm not sure if it's 100% garunteed, but you'd be mad not to learn it. And...

...OMG! A GIRL DOING CONSTRUCTION?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Yeah, U-value, Plumbing, Planning permission and any drawings you can remember. Passing is easy since we're already 50% finished, A's are like trying to catch a greased up deaf guy however.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

Hey guys. This is one of my strong subjects, but im having a small bit of difficultly with the U-Values question. We never did it in school so ive spent the morning learning how to do it.
    There is one part im cant fiqure out on the 2006 hl paper q5 part b.

The formula is grand but then it gets to the calorific value (37350) and it devides it by 0.315k.j.s i know this is the answer from the forumla devided by 1000 but i do not know why it has been done? my book (construction studies today) does not seem to cover this area.

Any help would be great, thanks

Diarmsquid wrote: »

haha :p theres three of us in my year!!

thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ianmull

Hey, I did this subject in my LC last year and I really liked it and didn't think it pretty hard...
    Foundations is something worth revising....plumbing systems aswell are quite popular....the U-value comes up every year and is a great mark earner if you know how to do it. As far as I can remember we got asked nearly the exact same question as the one asked in 06' and I was lucky I just revised it before heading into the exam, solutions are hard to find but examinations.ie has em up I think but im not too sure...
    Second floor openings/sound transmission, roof structure, walls are also worth a look and are popular. the q1 is handy enough, they always ask to incorporate some feature into it but the idea is a stencil from the book...if your doing tech drawing it can be helpful. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭luke999

Yea, can there be more than one full drawing question asked? They wud be handy marks. On theleavingcert.com they had a file with all the drawings in it, but it looks like the page has been deleted. Did any1 download it and would be willing to share it on msn? This could be worth starting a thread for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ianmull

luke999 wrote: »
    Yea, can there be more than one full drawing question asked? They wud be handy marks. On theleavingcert.com they had a file with all the drawings in it, but it looks like the page has been deleted. Did any1 download it and would be willing to share it on msn? This could be worth starting a thread for.

True, there are two drawing questions asked and one is compulsory...so you have to learn them all anyways and if you know the second one they ask, its well worth doing...tis what I did I think. I had those very drawings from theleavingcert.com and studied them and yeah, they seem to be deleted now. I could have them somewhere but I'll have to check...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

I really hate the U-Value question. I still have about 1/3 of the course to cover myself. I was doing construction in limerick tutorial college and our teacher had wrote the book himself. So I learned most of my stuff there until i returned to my old school.

Aw man i deleted em too... ok let us know of any success. Did they give measurements on those drawings?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

http://Diarmsquid.fileave.com/ConstructionDrawings.zip

Is that the file you were looking for?
    I remembering downloading that a while ago. Just uploaded it to that website there a sec ago.

Thanks for that Diarmsquid!
    I never even heard of a concrete flat roof aha.
    I find the drowings a small bit harder to follow to the freehand ones i have in my notes but there quite good none the less.

thats the exact one! thanks a mill diarm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 RA253195370HK

Eco-friendly building, timber frame and all that crap is guaranteed to come up according to our teacher..

Im not really worried about it at all, did a decent project and did well on the practical joint so Ive probably nearly passed already.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have the solution to the pres paper we did this year?
    If there are more than one, it is the one where the u values are on a pitched roof with 100mm glass fiber insulation.
    Thanks

http://Diarmsquid.fileave.com/ConstructionDrawings.zip

Is that the file you were looking for?
    I remembering downloading that a while ago. Just uploaded it to that website there a sec ago.

:eek:nice one :D

still so screwed for it tho!!!
    i hope a designy kinda one comes up!!i love those

• Advertisement

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have the solution to the pres paper we did this year?
    If there are more than one, it is the one where the u values are on a pitched roof with 100mm glass fiber insulation.
    Thanks
    Nobody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haywire

please help i did a heritage project for my project and my teacher says i will get close to full marks however my teacher is a lazy sod and never taught us anything except silage tanks and watertight chimneys???cud they come up?wud i be able to learn the u value before next week also???

yeah the u value is easy, ill tell u how to do it tmo. Ull pick it up after the 1st go. Just sleep for tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Doorzie

haywire wrote: »
    please help i did a heritage project for my project and my teacher says i will get close to full marks however my teacher is a lazy sod and never taught us anything except silage tanks and watertight chimneys???cud they come up?wud i be able to learn the u value before next week also???

I think u mean septic tanks you idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 haywire

ooppps ye i did jus shows how much i know hahahah
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭phase-3

any predictions for Q 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

Time to drag this thread off from page three!
    Any more idea's anyone. So far This thread has hinted towards:

U Value*
    Planning Permission*
    Foundations/flooring
    Roofs (pre-fabricated and otherwise)
    The Septic Tank
    Stairs (especially the drawings)

* More or less gauranteed

Yep,
    i need to go over the planning, find it a boring area of the course but its a very likely topic to come up.
    There is usualy another drawing question besides q1 aswell so if you know your details your sorted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 frankysaysrelax

Try doing the past papers. The questions have a habit of repeating themselves.

Yeah, it was for the last number of years anyway. I'm not sure if it's 100% garunteed, but you'd be mad not to learn it. And...

...Can u credit it..:eek:...ha ha im a girl i do it... why not like!:cool:i did a model bridge for my project oh god never again!not gona like looked rather impressive was a lift bridge got it to lift up and down and all...it was really more of an enginnering project ha..
    im thinking the fireplace/chimney has a good chance of coming up in Q.1..just a feeling really...u can never tell...
    and yup U values nearly always a banker..cant say i like them i love the question 10s...that just me...no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 john-btid

haha :p theres three of us in my year!!

thanks for the help!

this is more rare than a nice principal.

can i have your autograph lol

Advertisement