Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COD 5 in WW2-What do you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Pretty nifty ideas for the SP Mode there Kharn! Maybe you should give IW/Treyarch a call and give them some good ideas! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Unless COD5 has some revolutionary game play to it i will be giving this a big fail sticker.

(Note to game makers: Revolutionary game play does NOT equate to "if you shoot the glass, a special graphics engine makes the glass shatter as random as it does in real life".)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've clearly missed my calling Steffano :)

Other thoughts:
    a sub-marine hunt level as either a UBoat or the Admiral of the fleet trying to get them all whilst defending a convoy.
    Being part of the floatilla that went to France from England to rescue everyone.
    Picking up clues about Enigma during each mission as a side-plot with a view to revealing enemy plans later in the game.
    etc
    etc

I'd love to hear other people's ideas, just for fun.

As I said, if they're using the IW COD4 engine, there's scope for a lot of different ideas as there's a lot to work with there and it is more than capible of making everything look great.

Also: lol @ faceman's glass comment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Well I did happen to notice one possible new feature, in the trailer a sniper climbs a tree. That could be rather interesting with the gilly suits on!Personally I'm looking forward to this, could be the first decent next gen ww2 fps. I'm hoping they concentrate more on the pacific theater, because I think it's not received as much attention as the european side of things.

There's lots of things I want to see, banzai charges, Japanese officers weilding their swords coming at you, suicidal japanese tactics such as acting dead and then exploding themselves as you walk by, plus all the new Japanese weaponry that would make it's first appearance in the cod series.

I'd love to see a level defending an aircraft carrier while it's planes take off, you shoot down a plane and then it makes a kamikaze charge at you so you'd have to shoot it down again, fast.

From the trailer it looks like you might be playing as the British is Holland, which would be awesome, parachute missions could be possible so.

Something I'd also like to see is some black american troops, would be a nice change of pace from the usual stereotypical ww2 soldiers we're accustomed too, who are usually plagirisms of saving private ryan or band of brothers characters :D

Playing as the bad guys in the campaign would also be quite intersing, I noticed in the trailer the voice over is done in english and japanese, so possibility of playing as Japanese soldier? taking part in a banzai charge, that would be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 robbingood

yep tyrearch are in charge of cod5,not infinity ward.its gona be set in pacific so enemiie will be imperialist japanese soldiers whose methods of attacks will be fucosed more on ambush and element of surprise rather than walls of enemies coming at you.dissapointed myself theyve gone back to ww2 as i thought theyd move on from the first 3titles plus itd be hard improve on cod2 for ww2 genre.cod 5 due to be released in nov08.they have screenshots and preview on www.gameinformer.com.rumor about that cod6 is to be set in futuristic settings with infinity back in charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. It might be a good game. Looking forward to flamethrowers online :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm very open to CoD 5. After all Treyarch(Gray Matter) did give us CoD United Offensive and that multiplayer was incredible. A welcome return to 64 player maps with vehicles.

Base Assault FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I seem to be part of a minority who are not fans of vehicles.
    Which BF servers do you think are the best, infantry only for myself by far, there's at least some teamwork(mainly because it's quicker to spawn on a squad leader).
    If you see there's 6 enemies in a building, i can go in and kill them all.
    Yet if i'm in a tank, and there's two tanks ahead, 9 times out of ten the two tanks will win.
    Not much skill in vehicles, except for maybe certain flying vehicles and rare occasions in land veichles. I know there may be stories of how you defeated 4 tanks or walkers. But how often do you do that?

So i'd much more fancy and infantry only game for mp.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm with you on that one Sod'o swords! I didn't like CoD:UO at all... Hated the vehicle and huge maps... Hope there won't be any of that in CoD5! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

the only way they can improve on COD4 with a COD5 WWII game is if you could do a lot more stuff. Some of the perks will disapear because they wouldn't have been created and also some of the weapons would have to be downscaled. I am only talking about Multiplayer as that's all I play and it would be great it you were able to go into higher buildings in bigger European cities. Also it would be better if shooting someone was more realistic in that if you are not getting shot in an area that would kill you then you don't drop dead straight away. I have often been lying beind something and my foot is just sticking out and someone shoots me a few times in it and i am dead. It should just take small amounts off your energy bar and give you a chance to drag yourself out of range. Then you should not be able to walk. Someone can come and finish you off with a bullet to the head or whatever or you could try crawl or even hop to safety until your wound heels. In COD4 you only fall to the ground if you have last stand otherwise you just stand there all the time which is unrealistic cause when you are shot you would naturally fall. It's too easy to kill someone if you get a lock on because you shoot them they die or they have last stand and fall to the ground and then you aim down and kill them. If it depended on what way you shot them before they fell it would be much better. Could make for some good kills as well if they were on a building and they fell backwards but didn't die until they hit the ground

• Advertisement

I'm fairly sure they won't have the whole perk thing that they do in cod4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

i read that they are going to make a squad feature, somewhat similar to BF2, supposed to promote more team play and more bonuses for sticking together in a group which sounds better than perks (never really liked the idea of perks, to consoly).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Elem

It looks a lot better than your average world war II game :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭starwidow

it's going to be epic can't wait :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭Carroller

Lukker- wrote: »
    . Treyarch were responsible for CoD3 which was an epic fail of a game.

Not exactly, alot of players now that have had all the COD games prefer Treyarch to InfinityWard and would rather see it back in there hands.
    Personally: i cant wait to see it back in WWII they were always the best games and this time its against the japanese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Sounds very boring to me. WW2 has been done to death. There's lots more wars to fight in - humans are very good at that sort of thing.

As for the Pacific setting, Medal of Honor Rising Sun and Pacific Assault both still send shivers down my spine when I think how awful these games were, Rising Sun in particular. I know EA did these games and not IW or Treyarch but the Pacific theatre of war was mostly jungle fighting and this leads to very boring backgrounds of green, green and more green.

They should have brought out an expansion pack to COD4 similar to UO to keep things ticking over until Infinity Ward released the next real COD. This expansion pack could have included vehicles, a hunt for more missing nukes, terrorists etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 yeah man

Yeah played conflict vietnam for ps2, i thought it was a pretty good game, but most people thought it was s**t, i always loved the conflict: desert storm games though, if u liked them C:V was a great game :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

I wouldn't mind a version set in Vietnam, but I doubt we'll be getting that as it wasn't a glorious US victory and troops weren't the best behaved. Its got some potential though, and doesn't have to drop too much of a tech level. Imagine the scene from Apocalypse Now with Col. Killgore's choppers attacking the village playing the Ride of the Valkyries done COD style? That would rock. Or Platoon's final defensive battle as the traditional "hold out until relieved" mission we get in COD levels. You could even have Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann in the training mission.

Wishful thinking I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Andyfbt

They wouldn't do a vietnam game for the exact reasons in the post above. It would sell in America. In my opinion WWII is done to death. It will be intersting to see what other stuff they have, like sticking there ideas to make people stick together as teams, but would have rathered a present day fictional war.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭BazMcG

In my mind, modern day warfare is the way forward. Hard to beat the claymores, all the modern perks etc. I loved the MOH games especailly allied assault but unless they take a really unique and new approach to the WWII genre i wont get very excitied over COD5. Its the Multiplayer that will win it for me tho, so if they get that right ill be happy either way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Celtics14

the game doesnt seem too bad to me, having played the franchise since cod2, but heres an idea, why dont they put vehicles in the game? that would certainly silence some of the haters, Imagine a couple of Mustang fighter planes or a Sherman tank or two? That would certainly get me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Celtics14 wrote: »
    the game doesnt seem too bad to me, having played the franchise since cod2, but heres an idea, why dont they put vehicles in the game? that would certainly silence some of the haters, Imagine a couple of Mustang fighter planes or a Sherman tank or two? That would certainly get me

That was the joy of CoD: United Offensive. All signs are showing that CoD WaW will be closer to that that CoD 2.
    I'm just looking forward to the Co-op and 64 player Base assault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Im waiting for my idiot friend to buy cod 5 when it comes out so I can try it and see if its good.Probably gonna be rubbish, IMO next ownage fps will be Battlefield 3 probably.

:rolleyes:

dacookie wrote: »
    , IMO next ownage fps will be Battlefield 3 probably.

But for those of us that can't wait 27 years...
    Cod5 will have to do in the mean time....
    well Far cry 2's coming out this OCT and with Crysis warhead in 2 weeks, should keep use distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Eh they have flamethrowers in COD5, what else do you need?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Correct me if I'm wrong but its not as if there have only been a few Modern Warfare games. If WW2 has been done to death I really dont see why Modern isnt the same. There have been hundreds of Modern based games.

Vietnam now, there a nice halfway house. Going back in time, but still enough weapon/ scenarios to keep everyone happy.

That said I do look forward to anything with a COD title and an M1 Garand.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Carroller wrote: »
    Not exactly, alot of players now that have had all the COD games prefer Treyarch to InfinityWard and would rather see it back in there hands.
    Personally: i cant wait to see it back in WWII they were always the best games and this time its against the japanese.

I'm sorry but I hate when the creator of a game gets shunned and they bring in some 3rd party developer, 3 was dire, uncompetitive with horrible multiplayer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DeathMachine

Lukker- wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I hate when the creator of a game gets shunned and they bring in some 3rd party developer, 3 was dire, uncompetitive with horrible multiplayer.

Infinity Ward were hardly shunned, they need time to make a sequel. The Call of Duty games from IW get a good production cycle, whereas Call of Duty 3 was made in 9 or 10 months by Treyarch who were under a strict deadline- quite a staggering achievement considering the game is quite good. Yeah, yeah you can rant on however much you like, but at the end of the day most of the extreme negativity - example above - is silly fanboyism. COD3 was a good game, and given that Treyarch now have about double the time in which to make COD5, I have absolute faith that it will be excellent - probably as good as an Infinity Ward title. If Infinity Ward were forced to rush out Modern Warfare 2 in 9 months I'm pretty sure it'd suffer as a result, I don't get why people don't understand that.

If I had to nitpick at COD3 I'd do so over the several bugs in single player, which can get annoying. But to say the multiplayer is horrible is just silly, COD3 got good reviews from virtually every magazine that reviewed it, most of them citing MP as one of the highlights alongside the high quality visuals.

I too think IW are better then Treyarch, but it doesn't mean Treyarch are a bad developer, or that their games are crap. Treyarch's Call of Duty 2 on the Xbox original was probably the best WW2 FPS on the console (actually, apart from Call of Duty 3 itself, but the Xbox edition is super rare), I still play it sometimes.

Vietnam games don't have a good track record, Vietcong is pretty much the only decent and immersing one - I'm sure IW or Treyarch could do it justice, but it just isn't something that I'd care for much. I think they could go back a little further, even as far back as the American Civil war - that would rule. Anyone played The History Channel game, American Civil War? It actually runs on the Call of Duty 2 engine, and it looks beautiful. Crap gameplay, but fun for awhile, and really shows that with a little work such a game would be so awesome. Also, the American war of Independence would be cool, or even a relatively modern campaign outside of the norm like Korea or the First World War. WW2 doesn't necessarily ever have to get old, but some new directions would be exciting.

What would be unspeakably awesome would be a Call of Duty game from the German perspective - I have to admit I'm glad Treyarch took a better route with their campaigns, I am totally sick of the standard North Africa/Russian Winter/Normandy campaign. It'll be great to see more of the Eastern front (and not those cliche, urban snow levels thank god).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Vietnam games don't have a good track record, Vietcong is pretty much the only decent and immersing one - I'm sure IW or Treyarch could do it justice, but it just isn't something that I'd care for much. I think they could go back a little further, even as far back as the American Civil war - that would rule. Anyone played The History Channel game, American Civil War? It actually runs on the Call of Duty 2 engine, and it looks beautiful. Crap gameplay, but fun for awhile, and really shows that with a little work such a game would be so awesome. Also, the American war of Independence would be cool, or even a relatively modern campaign outside of the norm like Korea or the First World War. WW2 doesn't necessarily ever have to get old, but some new directions would be exciting.

Vietcong was decent enough from what I remember, but I'd hate a COD set in Vietnam. Single player campaign would be okay I guess as that would be your standard linear progression through a level, but my fear is with the multiplayer. I can imagine the action being something like..... deep foliage, deep foliage, more deep foliage, BANG WTF WAS THAT. Basically Creek with a lot more vegetation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

Why has nobody brought out a game from the German perpescptive for these consoles. Company of Heros 2 did it and it was brilliant, even if only to see things from a different angle. No need to change the war, just give us the choice who we want to be in it.

Advertisement