Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

your profile visitors(stalker?)

Options
  • 06-06-2008 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

say one of my visitor (stalker) is not my friend eg= had arguements,slanging each other,old enemys comes on my profile.
    theres no way of them stoping them?:confused:
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

There never was any way of stopping them before, just now you can see that they've been there.

Personally I don't like this feature, I think we'll end up with an awful lot of paranoid Boardsies. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Meh, it's hardly bebo, who cares if your boards arch- nemesis can see how many people have thanked you, or what your signature is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

who cares? it's just the internet. just don't give out your real name or credit card details and you'll be fine. actually you can give them to me for safe keeping if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Zaph wrote: »
    There never was any way of stopping them before, just now you can see that they've been there.

Personally I don't like this feature, I think we'll end up with an awful lot of paranoid Boardsies. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
    i agree with you there.
    its like whats he/she doing looking on my profile(foe) will kinda make you mad imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

actually you can give them to me for safe keeping if you want.

Sending right now.... also do you need the combination for my safe??

• Advertisement

Alan Ford wrote: »
    i agree with you there.
    its like whats he/she doing looking on my profile(foe) will kinda make you mad imo.

... but they could always do it anyway... is it not better that now you know they're poking around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

human nature will have people looking in profiles just out of curiosity, and nothing else

* peers out of window blinds just to make sure *

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

who cares? it's just the internet. just don't give out your real name or credit card details and you'll be fine. actually you can give them to me for safe keeping if you want.
    wallet_inspector.jpg
    Uh...wallet inspector.

SDooM wrote: »
    ... but they could always do it anyway... is it not better that now you know they're poking around?
    maybe Cult can do something to stop your non friends or foes visiting profiles by way of the visitor cant access their profile.
    Eg.you have the choice of the particular person who you dont want to view your profile page?
    At the moment it could lead to members fighting with the foe or non friends and hells break loose imo.

maybe Cult can do something to stop your non friends or foes visiting profiles by way of the visitor cant access their profile.
    Eg.you have the choice of the particular person who you dont want to view your profile page?
    At the moment it could lead to members fighting with the foe or non friends and hells break loose imo.

Like people on your ignore list cant or something, I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

And then they can just log out and view your profile, and you won't know they've visited.

Stark wrote: »
    And then they can just log out and view your profile, and you won't know they've visited.
    i never thought that!
    So it means theres no way to stop it.
    oh well we'l have to grin and bear it.

i never thought that!
    So it means theres no way to stop it.
    oh well we'l have to grin and bear it.

There's never been a way to stop it. You could always check someones profile any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

I've visited a few profile pages just to see what the fuss was about. I think when the novelty factor wears off no-one will bother with it.

The only problem I can see with it is people with grudges against one another leaving insulting and trolling comments on the profile page. Plus, Mods wont be able to visit every profile to check on things that break the site rules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's a report comment function on the visitor's page for situations like that.

quote=Thrill;56153268I The only problem I can see with it is people with grudges against one another leaving insulting and trolling comments on the profile page. Plus, Mods wont be able to visit every profile to check on things that break the site rules etc
    thats what im seeing myself.
    It will be a lot more work for the mods to look up whos doing wrong when they are trying to do thier own mod forums.
    you cant seem to report the foe looking at your profile.

Stark wrote: »
    There's a report comment function on the visitor's page for situations like that.
    i dont see that option

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's the little report link beside the message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

i dont see that option

Wait until somebody leaves a comment. You then have an option to report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

i dont see that option

I've left a little comment on your profile page so you can check it out.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    Wait until somebody leaves a comment. You then have an option to report it.
    oh i know how to do that.
    its the box where you see whos visit your profile should have a report link in it.
    i tried to copy the box and post it but i dont know how.
    Recent Visitors
    The last 10 visitor(s) to this page were:
    AlmightyCushion Gauge+ irish-stew+ jameshayes kickoutthejams Kintarō Hattori Mirror+ Quality+ smashey+ Thrill This page has had 40 visits

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

oh i know how to do that.
    its the box where you see whos visit your profile should have a report link in it.
    i tried to copy the box and post it but i dont know how.
    There's nothing wrong with viewing someone's profile. The problem occurs when someone leaves abusive comments. That is why there is no option to report someone who has looked at your profile.

There's nothing wrong with viewing someone's profile. The problem occurs when someone leaves abusive comments. That is why there is no option to report someone who has looked at your profile.
    thanks Ac
    would an option for the recent vistors be a good idea?

thanks Ac
    would an option for the recent vistors be a good idea?
    No like I said above, someone looking at your profile is harmless that's why the option isn't there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

i dont see that option

I left ya a message so you'll see it now:)

No like I said above, someone looking at your profile is harmless that's why the option isn't there.
    Exactly, just dont put anything in your (public) profile that may incriminate you!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,167 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well you can disable the message box for a group if you moderate one; should be a way to disable the message box in your profile if you prefer ¿

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You can set your message box to friends admins and mods only.

Mod use the profiles to check on peoples posts to look for patterns this was how it was before hand only now you can see those who are visible visitors to your profile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Yeah I usually just view people's profiles who come onto the forums I mod. Nothing malicious or evil about it. Loads of people view profiles, if you dont like it keep your profile blank. There's nothing stopping you from entering nothing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

ok so i have no idea what this is about?

How do you know who has viewed your profile?

Advertisement