Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    opera mini proxies requests through it's own server so that would suggest even more that it's a problem with your network. did you try the link in my post and did it load the mobile skin?

Yeah tried the link in your post, but it wouldn't work!

So http://89.234.66.107/ will load, but http://89.234.66.107/mobile will not :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mick_irl wrote: »

So http://89.234.66.107/ will load, but http://89.234.66.107/mobile will not :mad:

Now i think of it, when you go to the second link it probably sends a redirect request to tell the phone to go to m.boards.ie (which is what the url changes to in my address bar when i enter that address) and the dns problem happens again.

I recommend you call your network and tell them you can't access the website and the error you're getting.

A temporary solution would be to change your default skin to the mobile one and then use the ip address to connect. Note that when you set the skin in your profile the home page loads the full version but the rest of the site has the mobile skin

Quick question which I'm sure has an obvious answer. To test out the problem mick_irl was having I changed my default skin to the mobile one but now in the user CP the option to change my skin isn't there. So how do I change back? I'm stuck on mobile :D

Quick question which I'm sure has an obvious answer. To test out the problem mick_irl was having I changed my default skin to the mobile one but now in the user CP the option to change my skin isn't there. So how do I change back? I'm stuck on mobile :D

solved it :)

there's no link to it in the CP but I went directly to http://boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions and I could change it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

If you're stuck in the mobile skin you can click on the home link in a desktop browser and it will bring you back to http://boards.ie.
    (On opera mini the home link brings you back to http://m.boards.ie - hence the need for a desktop browser).

From there just use the change styles utility.

boards_thumb.png

Perhaps some more obvious/less long-winded solution such as a link on the mobile version to bring you back to a full-fat version would be useful?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

maybe i've missed something along the way but auto detect isn't working. Is this being left off intentionally?

I use a nokia n95 to check my emails during the day and if i click a link to boards it brings me to full version. Would love auto detect to be back on so it took me to the mobile version.

Thanks

I

Random wrote: »
    maybe i've missed something along the way but auto detect isn't working. Is this being left off intentionally?

I use a nokia n95 to check my emails during the day and if i click a link to boards it brings me to full version. Would love auto detect to be back on so it took me to the mobile version.

Thanks

I

Yes you are missing something, including previous posts of your own :D

Remember a while ago i asked for opera mobile to be taken out of the list of user agents that auto detect and cult turned it off altogether? You voiced your opposition at the time. I'd like it turned back on too tbh

Yes you are missing something, including previous posts of your own :D

Remember a while ago i asked for opera mobile to be taken out of the list of user agents that auto detect and cult turned it off altogether? You voiced your opposition at the time. I'd like it turned back on too tbh
    I thought it had been turned back on and simply wasn't working for me now. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.

when i go to reply to a pm the original one isn't quoted as it is in the full version. Would it be possible to get that changed?

And do you mind me asking why sigs are turned off on mobile?

Oh please leave sigs off in the mobile ... or at least make it optional in your profile. Sig rules cater for your average desktop browser, not your mobile one.

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    Oh please leave sigs off in the mobile ... or at least make it optional in your profile. Sig rules cater for your average desktop browser, not your mobile one.

I mean the way your sig doesn't appear on the full version if it was posted from mobile

I mean the way your sig doesn't appear on the full version if it was posted from mobile
    Ah right so, I'm with you now.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Testing signatures...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

CuLT wrote: »
    Testing signatures...

<3 yewww! :D

I'm mobile at the moment,will be online later possibly,if you need a guinea pig.

Nerin wrote: »
    <3 yewww! :D

I'm mobile at the moment,will be online later possibly,if you need a guinea pig.
    Sure, pretty sure it works, no harm in double checking though :)

I too am mobile, though the far nerdier option of an O2 dongle and a laptop (on the bus).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

One change I would love would be when I am in a forum, to be able to navigate back into the catagory or general forum list. At present if I am in a forum I cant go back to the category listing unless I go back to the general forum list and navigate through the different sub-cats/forums.

For example if I am on the Waterford City forum on Boards.ie..
    boards.ie > Region > South East

This allows me to move into the South East or Regional catagory or even the general forum list for Boards without having to start the navigation all over again.

On mobile the navigation does not allow me to go into the category/sub-cat listing to switch to another forum like Waterford County. If I am in Waterford City on Boards mobile then I have to navigate to Forums > Region > South East > Waterford County.

Any chance of changing that?

Sully wrote: »
    One change I would love would be when I am in a forum, to be able to navigate back into the catagory or general forum list. At present if I am in a forum I cant go back to the category listing unless I go back to the general forum list and navigate through the different sub-cats/forums.

For example if I am on the Waterford City forum on Boards.ie..
    boards.ie > Region > South East

This allows me to move into the South East or Regional catagory or even the general forum list for Boards without having to start the navigation all over again.

On mobile the navigation does not allow me to go into the category/sub-cat listing to switch to another forum like Waterford County. If I am in Waterford City on Boards mobile then I have to navigate to Forums > Region > South East > Waterford County.

Any chance of changing that?
    Solid, done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

CuLT wrote: »
    Solid, done.

Excellent, thanks!

I just noticed that if someone posts a boards link it automatically gets changed to m.boards.ie. Very nice :)

• Advertisement

I just noticed that if someone posts a boards link it automatically gets changed to m.boards.ie. Very nice :)
    Mmm, part of a functionality in vBulletin I hadn't considered using for that purpose, we've enough slack in the processing on the web nodes to handle a few extra preg_replaces.

mick_irl wrote: »

Ok the problem with Opera Mini helped figure out what was causing this one, unexpected really, but it should be fixed now.

I'm informed there may be some other sort of warning showing up, but not sure what it is.

Working fine for me on the Blackberry default browser now. YAY.

Not sure if this has been mentioned - when using a Nokia 6300, and sending PMs it asks me to confirm whether I want this to go through a different server or something. I press OK, and it asks again. This repeats until an error appears. Thing is though that the PMs have gone through with the end result that for me, something got around 25 PMs from me with the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Is it just me or are all smileys are appearing as : - ) without the spaces?

Looks odd when you intend to type : ( and it comes out happy.

Using e71 if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Is it just me or are all smileys are appearing as : - ) without the spaces?

Looks odd when you intend to type : ( and it comes out happy.

Using e71 if that helps.

Happens to me,i assume it happens like that to keep the kb download down. Its a link if you click it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Nerin wrote: »
    Happens to me,i assume it happens like that to keep the kb download down. Its a link if you click it

Makes sense to reduce the bandwidth alright and the smileys are definitely better than the image link that was there previously, but why not a the text version of each of the emoticons instead of all of them being a happy face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

Can't find a clever and easy way of parsing each smiley that works within vBulletin.

Might just turn smileys on and let people turn off images in their browsers if they like. Though I'm not sure if that even works consistently across various mobile browsers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

eregi search for smilie type links? use a switch case then to differentiate between them and echo text version?

• Advertisement

I dont think this has always been the case but lately if you click a topics title you are redirected to the latest post instead of the first. Only solution is if its more then one page is to click the page number and it will give the first post on that page.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement