Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Mobile - boards.ie on your portable device

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Ross

jmccrohan wrote: »
    eregi search for smilie type links? use a switch case then to differentiate between them and echo text version?
    Yes, that is certainly one way of doing it, but how to replicate that in either vBulletin's API or even where to hack it in using a plugin or code modifcation is where the time consumption is, and there's always been more important things to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Ross wrote: »
    Yes, that is certainly one way of doing it, but how to replicate that in either vBulletin's API or even where to hack it in using a plugin or code modifcation is where the time consumption is, and there's always been more important things to do.
    Not really sure of the ins and outs of vbulletin, but could you amend whatever you did that replaces all occurrences of http:// www .boards.ie/* with http://m.boards.ie/*
    so that anywhere [ IMG ] http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/whatever.gif [ / IMG ] appears, it's replaced with : - ) etc.

Not really sure of the ins and outs of vbulletin, but could you amend whatever you did that replaces all occurrences of http:// www .boards.ie/* with http://m.boards.ie/*
    so that anywhere [ IMG ] http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/whatever.gif [ / IMG ] appears, it's replaced with : - ) etc.
    No - well, that is to say I tried mucking around with it for 30 mins or an hour and couldn't figure out how to replicate the effect for the purposes of smilies without breaking all image links for the mobile skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Ross wrote: »
    No - well, that is to say I tried mucking around with it for 30 mins or an hour and couldn't figure out how to replicate the effect for the purposes of smilies without breaking all image links for the mobile skin.

One thing you could do that would be grand for me would be to just put the vbulletin code for the smilies, eg :confused:

I'd say most people who use the mobile skin would recognise that two colons surrounding a word is meant to be a smilie

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    One thing you could do that would be grand for me would be to just put the vbulletin code for the smilies, eg :confused:

I'd say most people who use the mobile skin would recognise that two colons surrounding a word is meant to be a smilie
    I'd be down with that....

• Advertisement

Yeah, but they're parsed to HTML upon submitting a post, and need to be either A) converted back or B) change the architecture of how vBulletin handles posts.

Obviously A is the only option here, and I haven't had the time during my working day (or the inclination in my time off) to figure it out :)

If someone else does though, I'll be happy to review and implement it. This needs to be handled per-style if it's going to be worth doing at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The o2 forums use the vBulletin mobile skin and it shows the smielys in image form AND how boards shows it (odd, I know).

Also, any chance we can implement a feature to show when a thread is locked or at least remove the reply box to avoid replying and realising the thread is closed? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Also, any chance we can implement a feature to show when a thread is locked or at least remove the reply box to avoid replying and realising the thread is closed?

Yes please!!!!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

What about a subscribe option?

I could be imagining things but if a thread is locked the reply links next to each post are gone no?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I could be imagining things but if a thread is locked the reply links next to each post are gone no?

They are gone yes, doesn't say closed anywhere though, and it still has the quick reply box at the bottom

This is a sample thread I created and locked.

This is how it appears in the forum view

This is how it appears when you go into the thread

Now, the fact that I'm a MOD in that forum might make a difference though?

Right, tried it again in a forum I have nothing to do with.

The thread I used to test was this one
    Before posting "Is financial institution X in trouble" type threads - read this!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055381113

I shouldn't have the option of quick reply.

Random wrote: »
    I shouldn't have the option of quick reply.

You're right it shouldn't but the original request was for a way to know if a thread is locked before accidentally replying to it and you can tell that by noticing that the reply links are gone. Not perfect but could maybe save Ross some work ;)

edit: oh right I didn't realise that edit was still there if you're a mod. Carry on...

You're right it shouldn't but the original request was for a way to know if a thread is locked before accidentally replying to it and you can tell that by noticing that the reply links are gone. Not perfect but could maybe save Ross some work ;)

edit: oh right I didn't realise that edit was still there if you're a mod. Carry on...
    Well I'm a perfectionist .. so it should be perfect :D

Ross, is it at all possible to pop a mobile link in the subscribed threads emails too please?

Could be get the boards.ie > Sys > Development > threadname thing at the bottom of the page in the mobile theme too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Any chance of getting a subscribe to thread option?

I don't like posting junk on a thread just to get it to show up in my usercp.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Would it be possible to beef up the search function?
    For example:
    • to limit searches to a specific forum
    • search a forum's thread titles by keywords

When you post on the mobile theme error messages don't show up and it simply refreshes the page. e.g. If I put only comments in QUOTE tags and don't put anything else the full version would tell me I need to enter a message, the mobile version just basically refreshes the page and I lose my message.

On the bottom of the mobile theme there is a "full version" link. Can you add a "mobile version" link to the bottom of the main theme too? This is handy when trying to jump back and forth between mobile and main.

When trying to compose a new PM the new message option is at the bottom of the page. If you have a lot of PMs it's a pain to have to scroll down. Could you throw in a link at the top as well please?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

Google Ads :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

IRLConor wrote: »
    One small bug I've noticed: the smilies all show up as :-) (colon, minus, close paren) rather than their BBCode versions.

This bug is now fixed.

Conor wrote: »
    This bug is now fixed.

Haha fixing your own bugs? :P

Jonathan wrote: »
    Haha fixing your own bugs? :P

In fairness, I didn't put the bug there, so it's not my bug. :D

Conor wrote: »
    In fairness, I didn't put the bug there, so it's not my bug. :D
    I guess so. Thanks for fixing it btw. It was annoying me.

Jonathan wrote: »
    I guess so. Thanks for fixing it btw. It was annoying me.

No bother. It was annoying me too.

:D :S :pac: :P :(:)

Hooray!!

Ron DMC wrote: »
    :S
    Come on now ron.. we all know its [noparse]:confused:[/noparse]

It should be :S, that'd be better. Waaay quicker to write.

• Advertisement

Not sure if it's been mentioned previously.

If someone is using [ YOUTUBE ] tags, can we get this to change to a link to m.youtube.com on the mobile skin?
    'Twould be well useful.

Or even better would be if the mobile youtube player was embedded (but I've no idea if this is even possible).

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement