Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What courses did u pick for your CAO ???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

1. TCD Law and Politics
    2. TCD English Lit./Modern Irish
    3. TCD History/Modern Irish
    4. TCD English/History
    5. UCC Law and Irish
    6. NUIM Law and Arts

Can't remember the rest but I think I had Arts in Cork somewhere! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

All I want is music of some sorts. I have down sciences, but I think they were just to fill the large empty spaces, same goes for the level 6/7, I originally had none there. . .

Level 8
    1. MH101 Arts
    2. MH103 Music (Restricted)
    3. DT501 Music (Restricted)
    4. PD103 Arts/Humanities
    5. DN012 Arts
    6. MH208 Biological and Biomedical Sciences
    7. DC168 Genetics and Cell Biology
    8. DT204 Biomedical Science
    9. MH102 Music Technology

Level 6/7
    1. AL043 Music and Instrument Technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

1. RC001 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted) 2. TR051 Medicine (Restricted) 3. DN002 Medicine (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted) 4. GY501 Medicine (five year/six year course) (Restricted) 5. CK701 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted) 6. DN036 Neuroscience 7. TR076 Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials 8. CK407 Mathematical Sciences 9. TR035 Theoretical Physics 10. DN031 Theoretical Physics

Just hoping i can get the points, if i dont get to do medicine i will be happy doing neuroscience :) Im doing A levels btw british here

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭daniel91

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. GY301 Science
    2. GY304 Biotechnology
    3. MH201 Science
    4. DN008 Science
    5. GY101 Arts
    6. MH208 Biological and Biomedical Sciences
    7. MH207 Genetics and Bioinformatics
    8. DN106 Veterinary Nursing
    9. MH212 Science Education
    10. DC205 Physical Education with Biology

Level 7/6 Course Choices:
    1. LY817 Bioscience
    2. LY847 Veterinary Nursing
    3. GA774 Science (Undenominated)
    4. DK784 Veterinary Nursing
    5. SG436 Biomedical Science
    6. LY207 Law
    7. SG435 Health Science and Physiology
    8. LY827 Analytical and Forensic Science
    9. LY837 Food Science and Nutrition
    10. LY137 Sports Development and Coaching

Anyone else hoping for Science in NUIG?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

Parsley wrote: »
    CK406 - Chemical Sciences
    CK402 - Biological and Chemical Sciences

There's more but i'm pretty confident of getting the 300 odd points for chemical sciences.

Lotta people seem to be going to ucc next year!

I did my degree in chem. Know loads of poeple that did that did biochem. best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

LEVEL 8S
    1 DN074 MECH ENGINEERING
    2 LM073 MECH ENGINEERING
    3 GY405 MECH ENGINEERING
    4 LM077 AERONAUTICAL ENGINEERING
    5 DC195 MECH AND MANU ENGINEERING
    6 DT025 ENGINEERING - COMMON 1ST YEAR
    7 DC200 ENGINEERING - COMMON 1ST YEAR
    8 DC193 MECHTRONICS

LEVEL 7S
    1 DT006 MECH ENGINEERING
    2 SG333 MECH ENGINEERING

if i dont get dn074 im gona leave the country
    anyone with similar courses(hopefully not to many):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Level 8 Category of course choices
    Pref Code Course Title
    1 CK703 Pharmacy
    2 TR072 Pharmacy
    3 RC005 Pharmacy
    4 CK402 Biological and Chemical Sciences
    5 CK405 Genetics
    6 CR320 Biomedical Science - Joint CIT and UCC programme
    7 CK406 Chemical Sciences
    8 CK404 Environmental and Earth System Sciences
    9 CK201 Commerce
    10 CK204 Finance

Level 7/6 Category of course choices

Pref Code Course Title
    1 CR006 Applied Biosciences
    2 CR007 Analytical and Pharmaceutical Chemistry
    3 CR300 Science ( Level 7 - Common Entry )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Level 8 Course Choices:
    1. DN002 Medicine (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted):D
    2. RC001 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted):D
    3. GY501 Medicine (five year/six year course) (Restricted):D
    4. LM100 Physiotherapy
    5. DN006 Physiotherapy
    6. RC004 Physiotherapy
    7. DN004 Radiography
    8. TR055 Radiation Therapy
    9. CK407 Mathematical Sciences

However I made the mistake in not doing chemistry, so if I dont get medicine i'll repeat and put veterinary medicine after medicine next year.
    Anyone in a similar situation?

do you think the points for most science courses will be lower this year. Due to half the country applying to medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

logic123 wrote: »
    do you think the points for most science courses will be lower this year. Due to half the country applying to medicine?

No, unless many of the people who dont get medicine repeat. I doubt anything will change.

• Advertisement

So how confident is everyone they will get somewhere. Im really hoping i get one of my choices. Which is better trinity or university college dublin.

So how confident is everyone they will get somewhere. Im really hoping i get one of my choices. Which is better trinity or university college dublin.

That is a personal opinion, everyone thinks differently. It depends on the course you want and also the qualification you want at the end.
    I'm pretty confident of getting my course though, but it doesn't stop you worrying about results. It's estimated arts will go up by 20 points in Maynooth, and in the mocks I still got over that, but still have that nagging fear :(

im really hoping i get the points. Impredicated AAAAA for my a leevels, so just got to keep my fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Which is better trinity or university college dublin.
    Thats really a topic thats been done to death and as tootyflutty said, it is a matter of opinion. Go to the UCD and Trinity forums though and search, youll find threads in both which'll show you the pros/cons of each:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

First choice Religions and theology/Spanish in tcd. Most of the rest of my courses are Spanish related or random arts courses but this is what i really want...not optimistic though since i only have 435 and it was 425 last year (450 the year before :() but i guess i'll just have to wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Anyone got Business & French or just Business in DCU or DIT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Xtina!!

Well I remember our careers guidance teacher showed us an article on the number of people who applied for certain courses under particular categories like science, medicine, engineering etc. and it also compared it to the numbers last year. There was obviosly a huge increase in medicine, and as far as I remember there was an increase in science related courses and a decrease in engineering and construction etc. I might be wrong about this, cant remember, but I shouldnt think there would be a huge difference (if any).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

1. RC001 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted) 2. TR051 Medicine (Restricted) 3. DN002 Medicine (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted) 4. GY501 Medicine (five year/six year course) (Restricted) 5. CK701 Medicine - (Undergraduate Entry) (Restricted) 6. DN036 Neuroscience 7. TR076 Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials 8. CK407 Mathematical Sciences 9. TR035 Theoretical Physics 10. DN031 Theoretical Physics

Just hoping i can get the points, if i dont get to do medicine i will be happy doing neuroscience :) Im doing A levels btw british here

Can I just ask, why did you pick Ireland? I'm dying to go abroad for college lol!:D

On the UCD website under courses, they say for instance an intake of say 10 people, what does this mean, there is only 10 places availible for this course, or how does that work. Can the number of places change. For instance neuroscience in 2008 had intake of 10 seats, can this change? or is it a fixed number.

On the UCD website under courses, they say for instance an intake of say 10 people, what does this mean, there is only 10 places availible for this course, or how does that work. Can the number of places change. For instance neuroscience in 2008 had intake of 10 seats, can this change? or is it a fixed number.
    AFAIK, Neuroscience is fairly fixed. It can be entered straight away or through the Science omnibus, but they always say that it is highly unlikely to gain a place in neuroscience through the omnibus, so I'd imagine its difficult to get them to move on their numbers.

• Advertisement

So an intake of 10 is probably fixed?? :S that cant be right

So an intake of 10 is probably fixed?? :S that cant be right
    Well its the average intake so Id imagine they wont take much more than 10 in.

i wonder how many people applied to neuroscience last year at UCD then. Im sure they would try to ajust the number of seats accordinly to how many applied for the course, the number of intake for medicine is higher, is that because there is a higher demand for medicine than neuroscience?

i wonder how many people applied to neuroscience last year at UCD then. Im sure they would try to ajust the number of seats accordinly to how many applied for the course, the number of intake for medicine is higher, is that because there is a higher demand for medicine than neuroscience?

They don't change the number of places each year because more applied last year. If there has been an increased number applying over years and the number is great enough and the money and facilities are available in the college then they will increase the number of places.

anyone know how many people applied for neuroscience at UCD last year

the only way you could find that out is by asking them. It's not a number that is handed out.
    Although you could could have a look at the CAO trends from last year, add up all the science courses in Ireland and divide it into the number of people that applied for scinces last year . . .but that would give you a completely inaccurate figure. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

giggii wrote: »
    CK701 Medicine
    TR051 Medicine
    DN002 Medicine
    GY501 Medicine
    RC001 Medicine
    CK703 Pharmacy
    TR072 Pharmacy
    RC005 Pharmacy
    CK402 Biological and Chemical Sciences
    TR071 Science

fingers crossed anyways!!!
    fair play hope ya get one of them!!
    Xtina!! wrote: »
    Well I remember our careers guidance teacher showed us an article on the number of people who applied for certain courses under particular categories like science, medicine, engineering etc. and it also compared it to the numbers last year. There was obviosly a huge increase in medicine, and as far as I remember there was an increase in science related courses and a decrease in engineering and construction etc. I might be wrong about this, cant remember, but I shouldnt think there would be a huge difference (if any).

ya fair few more applicants to science but its from like march 09 i think so nearly everyone in the country ill have changed there 1st choice in some way id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

hopefuly business information systems in nuig.By how much,do you reckon,will the points increase?

poisonated wrote: »
    hopefuly business information systems in nuig.By how much,do you reckon,will the points increase?

ENGINEERING/TECHNOLOGY
    2009 total mention 27,668
    2009 1st pref 5,072
    2008 total mention 30,702
    2008 1st preference 5,587
    total difference in mentions -3,034
    total difference in 1st pref -515

as for Buisness Courses.
    ADMINISTRATION/BUSINESS

2009 total mention 53,696
    2009 1st pref 8,839
    2008 total mention 54,241
    2008 1st preference 8,909
    total difference in mentions -545
    total difference in 1st pref -70

This is just a general number for all engineering/technology but looks like there is a decrease in the number putting down those courses as first preference and the same goes for buisness. Sorry not sure which category that course fits into.
    Take a look here to see all the stats of course types http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2009.pdf

• Advertisement

i dont reckon the points will change that much from previous years. As almost half of ireland has applied to medicine, human health and disease,pharmacy so i reckon points on other things will be slightly lower

Advertisement