Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 LOU76

What’s happened to The Boyne Pantry? Had planned to go and try it out as I heard good things but it’s been closed for weeks and now the menus that were inside the glass by the door have been taken down. Have they gone belly up so soon????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

corkscrew in tullyallen gone as well, really surprised about that one, burger was top class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭gipi

In case anyone didn't hear, The Spire in Duleek closed last week too. The restauranteurs couldn't agree a long term lease with the building owner, apparently.

The couple now run the Glenside, and have revamped the restaurant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭enricoh

The glenside is well worth a visit. Haven't been disappointed yet. Wouldn't be much craic in the place but food is super
    The missus and a few mates were in the trinity quarter during the week n were all very impressed, so its on the radar. I'll report back ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

The fifty 50 restaurant chain are to open a new branch in Mell, Drogheda. I've never eaten there but friends tell me it's really good. It'll be near the Aldi, where the Fisherman's wharf was. I'd say it will prove popular. Looking at the menu it's not the cheapest but it's good news at a time when a few local places seem to have shut up shop recently.

http://www.fifty50.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

gebbel wrote: »
    The fifty 50 restaurant chain are to open a new branch in Mell, Drogheda. I've never eaten there but friends tell me it's really good. It'll be near the Aldi, where the Fisherman's wharf was. I'd say it will prove popular. Looking at the menu it's not the cheapest but it's good news at a time when a few local places seem to have shut up shop recently.

http://www.fifty50.ie/

They do very good value on their early bird specials menu, have eaten in it a couple of times in Ashbourne, good food , nothing spectacular.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I've been to the Ashbourne one a few times and have always had a good meal with nice portions. I wholeheartedly welcome this new opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Was in the bull last week. Definitely not as good as it used to be. Had a vegetarian stirfry - all I could taste was salt. Wouldn't be rushing back. Plus they had an enormous fire on - place was boiling

Had lunch in eastern seaboard and it was great, even better than before the slump I think. Steak sambo is yum.

Regent Inn Haymarket served immediate closure order Oct. 17th 2018 by food safety authority. The full order can be read on fsai dot ie. Multiple breaches re- food storage and cleanliness. Yeuch!!

• Advertisement

never heard of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

IvoryTower wrote: »
    never heard of it

It used to be called Chanco. So I'll take it this is the reason it was closed and not because their carpet got water damaged and needed to be replaced.

It’s the chinese restaurant on dyer street a few doors up from O’Briens wine shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

LOU76 wrote: »
    What’s happened to The Boyne Pantry? Had planned to go and try it out as I heard good things but it’s been closed for weeks and now the menus that were inside the glass by the door have been taken down. Have they gone belly up so soon????

They closed and im not really surprised, they were far to expensive for what they were serving, food wasnt that great and looked nothing as advertised.
    I ordered the pancakes with pecans, I was served 3 tiny dried up pancakes smaller than the palm of my hand with a tiny cup smaller than egg cup with a few little pecans and charged 10 euro. I could have bought a really nice well prepared meal in Harper's or the Salt house just down the road for the same price. I got the impression they were trying to be something their not.

Annies if you're after pancakes. Yum!!!!!! The Boyne Pantry was never going to work as mentioned with their prices and quality and the competition literally on their doorstep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Popped into Coffee thyme on the backlanes (our place) today for some brunch, ended up getting a mixed omelet and side salad with a portion of beans( that's my protein fix) my my what a treat.
    It really is a lovely spot , they appreciate your custom and it's very very tasty.
    The full Irish my mate had was top notch and good value all round.
    Highly recommended.

good thyme cafe?

IvoryTower wrote: »
    good thyme cafe?

I'd say thats what the OP meant given the location mentioned. Lovely soup there. What was it called before that? I was partial to a fry there once upon a time.

Had the breakfast on sat. thumbs up for the pudding, if you're reading this ,change the sausages. The menu looks good, looking forward to trying the slow cooked beef

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭overpronator

Sunday lunch in Trinity Quarter. Roast beef and all the usuals. Was decent and would give it another go. Staff were lovely and the service was good which is always a plus for me, makes it a nice place to be imo.

Still pining for the corkscrew Sunday roast beef. RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Sunday lunch in Trinity Quarter. Roast beef and all the usuals. Was decent and would give it another go. Staff were lovely and the service was good which is always a plus for me, makes it a nice place to be imo.

Still pining for the corkscrew Sunday roast beef. RIP.

Enjoyed my lunch in there too until I paid the bill and noticed I was charged 1 euro for a jug of water.
    I complained about it and was told it was “filtered water”,got an apology and offered my euro back which I politely declined.
    Good food, everyone enjoyed it , little silly bits of greed in restaurants leaves sour tastes in customers mouths.

Has anyone tried Nikko Japanese restaurant on Trinity Street yet?

We had a serious Teppanyaki experience in Dublin earlier this year, and the good facebook reviews of Nikko is making me wonder if it would be anything similar. Now, I don't expect Nikko to have the sit-around grills and chef theatrics, but if the food is good I would still be interested.

I thought I'd see if any of you had tried it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Knoby

Annies closed down this day last week. Court order Liquidation. Im surprised it lasted so long.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Knoby wrote: »
    Annies closed down this day last week. Court order Liquidation. Im surprised it lasted so long.

Ah, no. Went in on Monday and there was a sign up saying there had been a “technical fault”.

That’s a shame. Savage value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Enjoyed my lunch in there too until I paid the bill and noticed I was charged 1 euro for a jug of water.
    I complained about it and was told it was “filtered water”,got an apology and offered my euro back which I politely declined.
    Good food, everyone enjoyed it , little silly bits of greed in restaurants leaves sour tastes in customers mouths.

On the note of silly greed, had dinner in the Glenside on Sun evening and they charged €6 for 5 breaded mushrooms straight out of the freezer, was not impressed! If you're using frozen ones, id expect more than 5 in a portion!! Also charged 50 cent for a dash of cordial with my sparkling water which always annoys me for some irrational reason!

Other than that the food was lovely so will probably be back again

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Has anyone tried Nikko Japanese restaurant on Trinity Street yet?

We had a serious Teppanyaki experience in Dublin earlier this year, and the good facebook reviews of Nikko is making me wonder if it would be anything similar. Now, I don't expect Nikko to have the sit-around grills and chef theatrics, but if the food is good I would still be interested.

I thought I'd see if any of you had tried it first.

Haven't been in it but I ordered takeaway from there a few weeks back. Its very expensive for such small portions but it's seriously tasty. Id recommend the honey chicken and Sushi. Despite the price ill order from there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Visited Nikko a few times when I was in drogheda, super good food, same standard of sushi as some of the good spots in Dublin. Atmosphere was a bit dead inside but it may have picked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Been in the Eastern seaboard a few of times over the last couple of months and it's got its mojo back, big time! Everything about it is top notch again, especially the grub

Yeah big time. Can't wait to go back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭markc1184

Has anyone been to Fifty50 yet?

Advertisement