Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most pointless feature in a car

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Rory123

HJL wrote: »
    Worst feature ive experienced in a car is the 'one touch' indicators, at least the one on '04 shape Vectra, slightest turn deactivates the indication. Maybe they are better on other cars that have it, but Vauxhall just didnt seem to get it right, if i have to hit the lever 3 times instead of once then this is not a step forward in my book!

I have this in my astra and I bloody hate it! I'm not used to them even after a year. When you try to turn them off by hand the other indicator comes on and then back again, and back again, and back again. It's like indicator tennis and always happens during lane-changes on motorway. A pointless feature that makes one look a fool to other motorists!

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    My mode of transport has a ciggy lighter that won't accept phone chargers, gps etc :mad:

Is your mode of transport a Zippo on wheels?! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I have the new model Honda Civic and the bloody thing beeps at you as soon as you put the key in the ignition if the door is open. Beep, beep, beep............does it think I dont know that I've just put the key in???? Then when I stop the car and open the door I get the same bloody thing.

Yeah, yeah I know I should close the door first......and take the key out before I open the door.........

I have the new model Honda Civic and the bloody thing beeps at you as soon as you put the key in the ignition if the door is open. Beep, beep, beep............does it think I dont know that I've just put the key in???? Then when I stop the car and open the door I get the same bloody thing.

Yeah, yeah I know I should close the door first......and take the key out before I open the door.........

That's to remind you not to leave the keys in the ignition you turn off the car and open the door to get out. The car can't distinguish between putting the keys in the ignition before closing the door and taking the keys out of the ignition after opening the door. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Many of the hatches in US cars already have this. It's mostly for large SUVs or expensive German cars. It is mainly used for the automatic push-button open/close feature. Either way, Mercs are supposed to be classy...and there's nothing classy about slamming a door. Plus, the rappers from Los Angeles will look cooler.
    It's just a technology already being used, so they put it in and say that they are advanced and special. Whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭blackbox

Self-Cancelling indicators.

Older Citroens didn't have them and the indicator always went off at exactly the right time.

Unfortunately they eventually gave in to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 sosulio

mike65 wrote: »
    Saab were the first with the cool-box I think (the 9-5 mk1)

Mike.

I knew a family who had cool boxes back in the mid eighties! They had a Toyota Prince and a Toyota Crown as far as I remember. Ive never seen these models since but they were really top of the line back then with electric everything, cool boxes and first aid compartments!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

A guy I know got a Range Rover, where do I start with the pointless gadgets! In fairness, some people need them, but most people don't. It had so many off road settings it was rediclious, stuff for driving down hills etc. Really usefull when you just go to the shops in it. On the main console screen you could view a camera that was supposed to be placed in a horsebox, so you could keep an eye on your horses when travelling! I wonder why he bought a €130k car when he'll never need about €70k of it!
    Having said that, 4 wheel drive is a useless feature for 99% of Dublin 4 wheel drive owners:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Paparazzo wrote: »
    On the main console screen you could view a camera that was supposed to be placed in a horsebox, so you could keep an eye on your horses when travelling! D

this would also be useful for off roading, and for reversing trailers. I think it's a great idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

you're missing the point, the thing is used for town driving, so it's useless to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

drink holder that only works when at 0kph

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭towger

Indicators ( on Taxis ) ....... never used

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

The metal bottle opener in my VW Golf has never, nor will never be used.

Pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Having said that, 4 wheel drive is a useless feature for 99% of Dublin 4 wheel drive owners:D

Full time 4*4 is never a useless option. I think you are mistaking it with thcars off road abilities.

This attitude is why shed loads of folk buy 2 wheel drive versions of cars that were meant to be 4*4 - and end up falling off the road in them.

A car that weighs as much as a RR needs all the help it can get, 4*4 ain't just for off roading you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭Homer

The ignition on ANY of the modified cars mentioned in the "best skangermobiles on carzone" thread! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Electric Mirrors - Also great for getting the right angle on ladies bums after they have passed you - when you are stuck in traffic
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    I wouldn't agree, I often dip my passenger side mirror when reversing into tight spots, to guard against my paranoia of kerbing the alloys!
    I also find the auto-dipping mirror and auto wipers pretty useful, despite being very very skeptical before experiencing them.

My favourite feature in my last couple of cars is Climate control, simply fantastic. Anyone who says its a waste of time or no use in "our climate" is talking bonkers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

wipers.....on the door mirrors of nissan gloria cima II from 1988.... and ive also seen them on some mitsubishi lorries.

and also this item

JDM_Parking_Poleii.jpg

and this

newbabypinkgaiter.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Fog lights on any Irish car - I won't go into that...
    My car has a button to turn off Traction Control. I might be missing something, but why would you want to do that? I've never touched that.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

G Luxel wrote: »
    and also this item

JDM_Parking_Poleii.jpg

That item is called a parking pole, and is very handy if you're not very generously portioned, and drive a big car. (you usually see them on Japanese domestic market cars) they are also used on the now defunct long bonnet-ed Scania T-cab

1163062704-ScaniaT2_lrg.png

Anything that stops you taking a corner out of your car can't be pointless!

fjon wrote: »
    My car has a button to turn off Traction Control. I might be missing something, but why would you want to do that? I've never touched that.

There are some situations where you mightn't want the traction control to work (traction control cuts power to the wheels if they skid due to excessive power being applied) such as getting stuck in gravel/grass, or driving in snow.
    you might also want to drive like a hooligan!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

A car is much more fun with the traction control off.
    car_crash.jpg

Not usually that bad I guess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Come to the US
    ART6 wrote: »
    Cup holders. All the motoring mags nowadays seem to tell us how many cup holders "it" has. My car has two of them (I am seriously deprived). I have never used them, given the drinking and driving regulations.:o
    Cup holders are listed as one of the top features on all the cars...it even tells how large of a fast-food/convenience store cup it will hold. My cup holder is heated or cooled by the touch of a button:D
    HJL wrote: »
    Worst feature ive experienced in a car is the 'one touch' indicators, at least the one on '04 shape Vectra, slightest turn deactivates the indication. Maybe they are better on other cars that have it, but Vauxhall just didnt seem to get it right, if i have to hit the lever 3 times instead of once then this is not a step forward in my book!
    I think it depends on the car. I love mine. One touch flashes 3 times and turns off, if you push until it "clicks" and it stays on until you complete your turn.
    fjon wrote: »
    Fog lights on any Irish car - I won't go into that...
    As colm_mcm mentions, it is much harder to "escape" something with the traction control on. When it snows here, you can't get started going until you turn the traction control off. It's (obviously) great while driving though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭SAABMAN

On an Audi 80 I had, there was a magnet on the console near the handbrake. No idea what it was for.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SAABMAN wrote: »
    On an Audi 80 I had, there was a magnet on the console near the handbrake. No idea what it was for.

Did you buy the Audi new? My dads Laguna has one there too that he uses to keep his zippo in place. I'm guessing it's aftermarket though as I havnt seen them too much so might have been the same with your Audi.

Theres a name on it that google didnt provide much help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Daytime running lights :(
    Mine are enabled, and apparently the only way I can get them disabled is by paying the dealership :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

unkel wrote: »
    I think we have a winner :D

ToysRgood :D

I had the same thing on my jeep, its a jap and if theyd put the bloody ariel on the roof or the right hand side instead of the left where it caught every hedge and branch on the side of the road they wouldnt need it. I had to replace the ariel twice!!!

Advertisement