Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

most pointless feature in a car

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

My honda has a button that lowers the aerial to half height.. thats gotta be up there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

The most pointless feature in any car is the nut behind the wheel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Kali wrote: »
    My honda has a button that lowers the aerial to half height.. thats gotta be up there :)

I think that was a feature they developed for the NSX. God knows why I know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Gearchanging paddles/buttons on an automatic. I have used mine twice in two years. You have to keep checking the dash to see what gear your in, bloody dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Cigarette lighter and ashtray. Dangerous as well as pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the cigarette lighter is very good for lighting cigarettes though, and the ashtray makes a great ashtray.

joolsveer wrote: »
    I use my cigarette lighter socket for powering my phone charger / GPS and the ashtray for loose change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭mthd

my car has a little drawer on the dash for holding credit cards :D

mthd wrote: »
    my car has a little drawer on the dash for holding credit cards :D
    Probably designed for countries using credit card size driving licenses, ie USA, Australia etc. Not a good idea to leave them in there unattended :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My car has the least pointless thing ever. A clip on the insde of the windscreen on the drivers side for holding pay and display tickets.:D it's qualiy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I like the little clear plastic clip on VW cars that holds your parking ticket against the windscreen (I presume that's what it's for) that's useful, so is a card holder in the dash (handy for putting multi storey parking tickets into on the way out)

EDIT: That's bizzare what just happened there! I swear I didn't read Stekelly's post

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Kali wrote: »

I think we have a winner :D
    KTRIC wrote: »
    I had it in my Mk11 900 CS, along with loads and loads and loads of nice little toys :D

ToysRgood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Electric windows on anything other than the driver's door.
    I mean, feck it, the passengers have more spare hands than the driver....usually....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Stephen wrote: »
    My Civic has the air conditioned glovebox too. There's a vent you can close in there if you don't want it cooled. I really wouldn't miss its electric mirrors though. Set them up on day one and they've never been touched since.

I wouldn't agree, I often dip my passenger side mirror when reversing into tight spots, to guard against my paranoia of kerbing the alloys!
    I also find the auto-dipping mirror and auto wipers pretty useful, despite being very very skeptical before experiencing them.

My favourite feature in my last couple of cars is Climate control, simply fantastic. Anyone who says its a waste of time or no use in "our climate" is talking bonkers IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

Rear seats Porsche 911. Useless for anything more than storage. Passengers would need to have their legs amputated.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,147 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ksimpson wrote: »
    Rear seats Porsche 911. Useless for anything more than storage. Passengers would need to have their legs amputated.

You obviously don't carry (small) children as passengers, ksimpson ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sun Roof

Often noisy when open...in the middle of the the day the sun blazes in,so you have to close the blind.....

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

JoeA3 wrote: »
    My favourite feature in my last couple of cars is Climate control, simply fantastic. Anyone who says its a waste of time or no use in "our climate" is talking bonkers IMO.
    Must say that I agree. Was skeptical about it before I had it but its great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It BeeMee wrote: »
    Electric windows on anything other than the driver's door.
    I mean, feck it, the passengers have more spare hands than the driver....usually....

Electric windows on passenger windows are very handy for us non air con car owners, how else do you get air through when stuck in traffic. Electric for the driver doesn't have any real benefit. Any HGV I've been in has a winder for the driver and electric for the pasenger.
    unkel wrote: »
    You obviously don't carry (small) children as passengers, ksimpson ;)

But with the new child seat rules they aren't any use any more. I'd say it's fun fitting a child seat into one:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

JoeySully wrote: »
    on some megeans when you put it in reverse the rear wiper makes one swish across the window :) not a very nice noise when its a sunny day :)
    I know that sound but it only happens when the wiper stalk is left in auto position, just flick it up to the off position on sunny days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Cup holders. All the motoring mags nowadays seem to tell us how many cup holders "it" has. My car has two of them (I am seriously deprived). I have never used them, given the drinking and driving regulations.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭port

I spend alot of time in my car and personally I like all the gadgets and toys,most are a convienence and I wouldnt call any of them useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Slightly OT..
    I miss the coolant temp gauge in the wife's Zafira!! how far out does the temp go before the warning light comes on ?
    My fater taught me to drive and it was drilled into me to watch the gauges, now there's none :eek: and I constantly look for it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

joolsveer wrote: »

that feature is a relic from the good old days when everybody (<SNIP>) smoked. a lot of new cars don't have em

MODEDIT: unneccesary, offensive remark removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

The cooled/chilled compartment is very clever, and dead handy for keeping cans/ water bottles chilled on the move. The rear electric blind tho, is 'gadgety' but only useful for the odd time you're driving due east at sunset :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Worst feature ive experienced in a car is the 'one touch' indicators, at least the one on '04 shape Vectra, slightest turn deactivates the indication. Maybe they are better on other cars that have it, but Vauxhall just didnt seem to get it right, if i have to hit the lever 3 times instead of once then this is not a step forward in my book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

tits behind wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

2 speed reverse ftw! Merc cls have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    tits behind wheel

fl4pj4ck ...why must you speak, when you've got nothing to say?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

I use my cigarette lighter socket for powering my phone charger / GPS and the ashtray for loose change.

My mode of transport has a ciggy lighter that won't accept phone chargers, gps etc :mad:

Advertisement